D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Jared Bernhardt

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:05 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:59 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:20 am
old salt wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:40 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:09 pm I have a problem with the SAs participating in this money over everything world if they aren’t going to have a chance at competing at the top and now you have fans like OS who want an easier schedule by having stronger conference members leave. What does that say?

The star game is nostalgia and novelty. I watch it like many but treat it differently than any D1 FBS game I watch and much more like a meaningful to constituents only exhibition game. For a long time was close to a number of Army football players from the 90s. There a large contingent that would agree with me for various reasons including the second one above.

What is D1 of 65/120 schools pull away and take their money with them? If you want to call that D1 (I said FBS suggesting they move to FCS which is still D1 like the PL and CAA). Each year that goes by there’s a coastal Carolina, UCF, App St, Louisiana, Memphis that goes from lower level or non existent to surpassing the academies. Georgia State may be next. As a Hobart alumni get competing against the best with one hand tied behind your back (no scholarships, any agonists NCAA attitude towards our D1 existence I know for a fact) but when their own constituents want to lighten the load then let’s get real about what is an appropriate playing field of competition to swim in. Sticking in FBS is about other reasons, many of which are changing with the landscape of major college athletics.

This isn’t some trashing of a program but rather a thought out position. Of course some folks would be up in arms but wake me when you have friends or close relationships with Army guys who’ve been on NFL rosters in the last 20 or so years. Some of the best at West Point since I was born are of the same opinion I have
Navy is 30-17 in the AAC since joining in 2015. In 15 of the past 18 seasons, Navy's had a winning record & been to a bowl game.
2 of the past 3 seasons have been just 3 win seasons (bracketing an 11-2 season).
Since getting a Paul Johnson protege as HC & returning to the TO, Army has caught back up to Navy & AF.

When Navy joined the AAC there were concerns expressed that the tougher competition, week to week, would take a physical toll on the Mids, especially the O-line & the QB in the TO offense. In those 2 recent 3 win seasons, that appeared to be a legit concern.

Last season was a cluster because they had no spring ball & didn't hit in preseason. Unfortunately, they didn't look any more game-ready in yesterday's season opener vs Marshall. Given the inexperience in the QB derby & the toughness of this year's sched, another 3 win season is definitely possible. Navy drew all the best AAC teams in this year's sched & played Marshall instead of a PL team in the opener.

Most concerning yesterday was the O-line , as it was in the 3 win seasons. Navy's success is keyed to an O-line that dominates, or at least holds their own & opens seams with the hated cut blocks. Yesterday the O-line was dominated, as they were in those 3 win seasons.

I agree with YA that watching the TO offense can be frustrating, especially when it's not working due to the O-line or QB misfiring, But when the TO clicks, it eats clock & when paired with a bend-but-don't-break defense, it can produce an 11 win season. The sooner those 3 strongest AAC teams defect, the better the chances that KN-IJ & their TO survive, ...IF the weakened AAC survives.

While condescending D-III powerhouse alums may look down their noses, IMHO -- breaking even in the FBS (& playing on national tv, before packed NFL stadiums), is over-achieving for a service academy.
You got your wish as all the better programs and superior competition of Navy’s bounced to the big 12

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... r-exit-fee
Interesting, thanks for posting. Now the pressure will really be on Navy...they only thing Navy FB can hope for now, is that they get their Sh*t together. Maybe, put a damned qb in the game that can consistently throw a damned football reasonably accurate and the O-line can buy the qb at least 2.7 - 3.5 seconds to go through their progressions. If your line of scrimmage is collapsing in under 2.5 seconds.....you're only left with trickery and prayers of defensive scoring.

Teams know how to ruin Navy's day rather quickly, not to mention, to protect themselves from all the damned chop blocking to save themselves for the remainder of the season. Defensive units barely even need to rush the line of scrimmage any longer vs the TO (just fill gaps in waves) especially if you do not throw.

Hope today goes better and we see some improvement. at the LoS.
The size restrictions are always going to be an issue given where the size of lines has gone. Triple option is not hard to defend you just have to have 11 guys playing their assignment and not chase the ball. The eBay players can make a play while handling their assignment.

Chop blocks do suck. Even with thigh pads I’ve had deep bone bruises that made walking not all the much fun (and forced my girlfriend to do more work those weeks as well..)
Yes, the size restriction falls in line with my point in all this. Because size matter (pardon the pun), and defending the TO is not overly challenging. putting a 5'9" qb within breathing distance from a set of #300 pound def tackles, makes little sense...to me. Sure, a handful of plays each drive.....but for sanity sake, give the qb some time to see the field in shotgun more often. You can turn the TO in to more of an RPO which gives the qb more time and vision downfield.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:22 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:05 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:20 am
old salt wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:40 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:09 pm I have a problem with the SAs participating in this money over everything world if they aren’t going to have a chance at competing at the top and now you have fans like OS who want an easier schedule by having stronger conference members leave. What does that say?

The star game is nostalgia and novelty. I watch it like many but treat it differently than any D1 FBS game I watch and much more like a meaningful to constituents only exhibition game. For a long time was close to a number of Army football players from the 90s. There a large contingent that would agree with me for various reasons including the second one above.

What is D1 of 65/120 schools pull away and take their money with them? If you want to call that D1 (I said FBS suggesting they move to FCS which is still D1 like the PL and CAA). Each year that goes by there’s a coastal Carolina, UCF, App St, Louisiana, Memphis that goes from lower level or non existent to surpassing the academies. Georgia State may be next. As a Hobart alumni get competing against the best with one hand tied behind your back (no scholarships, any agonists NCAA attitude towards our D1 existence I know for a fact) but when their own constituents want to lighten the load then let’s get real about what is an appropriate playing field of competition to swim in. Sticking in FBS is about other reasons, many of which are changing with the landscape of major college athletics.

This isn’t some trashing of a program but rather a thought out position. Of course some folks would be up in arms but wake me when you have friends or close relationships with Army guys who’ve been on NFL rosters in the last 20 or so years. Some of the best at West Point since I was born are of the same opinion I have
Navy is 30-17 in the AAC since joining in 2015. In 15 of the past 18 seasons, Navy's had a winning record & been to a bowl game.
2 of the past 3 seasons have been just 3 win seasons (bracketing an 11-2 season).
Since getting a Paul Johnson protege as HC & returning to the TO, Army has caught back up to Navy & AF.

When Navy joined the AAC there were concerns expressed that the tougher competition, week to week, would take a physical toll on the Mids, especially the O-line & the QB in the TO offense. In those 2 recent 3 win seasons, that appeared to be a legit concern.

Last season was a cluster because they had no spring ball & didn't hit in preseason. Unfortunately, they didn't look any more game-ready in yesterday's season opener vs Marshall. Given the inexperience in the QB derby & the toughness of this year's sched, another 3 win season is definitely possible. Navy drew all the best AAC teams in this year's sched & played Marshall instead of a PL team in the opener.

Most concerning yesterday was the O-line , as it was in the 3 win seasons. Navy's success is keyed to an O-line that dominates, or at least holds their own & opens seams with the hated cut blocks. Yesterday the O-line was dominated, as they were in those 3 win seasons.

I agree with YA that watching the TO offense can be frustrating, especially when it's not working due to the O-line or QB misfiring, But when the TO clicks, it eats clock & when paired with a bend-but-don't-break defense, it can produce an 11 win season. The sooner those 3 strongest AAC teams defect, the better the chances that KN-IJ & their TO survive, ...IF the weakened AAC survives.

While condescending D-III powerhouse alums may look down their noses, IMHO -- breaking even in the FBS (& playing on national tv, before packed NFL stadiums), is over-achieving for a service academy.
You got your wish as all the better programs and superior competition of Navy’s bounced to the big 12

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... r-exit-fee
Interesting, thanks for posting. Now the pressure will really be on Navy...they only thing Navy FB can hope for now, is that they get their Sh*t together. Maybe, put a damned qb in the game that can consistently throw a damned football reasonably accurate and the O-line can buy the qb at least 2.7 - 3.5 seconds to go through their progressions. If your line of scrimmage is collapsing in under 2.5 seconds.....you're only left with trickery and prayers of defensive scoring.

Teams know how to ruin Navy's day rather quickly, not to mention, to protect themselves from all the damned chop blocking to save themselves for the remainder of the season. Defensive units barely even need to rush the line of scrimmage any longer vs the TO (just fill gaps in waves) especially if you do not throw.

The size restrictions are always going to be an issue given where the size of lines has gone. Triple option is not hard to defend you just have to have 11 guys playing their assignment and not chase the ball. The eBay players can make a play while handling their assignment.

Chop blocks do suck. Even with thigh pads I’ve had deep bone bruises that made walking not all the much fun (and forced my girlfriend to do more work those weeks as well..)
Yes, the size restriction falls in line with my point in all this. Because size matter (pardon the pun), and defending the TO is not overly challenging. putting a 5'9" qb within breathing distance from a set of #300 pound def tackles, makes little sense...to me. Sure, a handful of plays each drive.....but for sanity sake, give the qb some time to see the field in shotgun more often. You can turn the TO in to more of an RPO which gives the qb more time and vision downfield.
Cant spread out TO as much as needed. Have to rely on B back too much meaning OL has to hang around the original placement more than a spread and the OL gaps are tighter.

We had a guy who was a 5’10” 275lb NG for us who transferred to Navy but couldn’t play because height/weight and had to drop like 50lbs but he was happy to go to the academy for other reasons. Scotty cuomo-no relation but we called him gov. (Referencing Mario not this disgraced one)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

It looks like possible no pay link to tonight’s Ferris State
game, 7pm est,

https://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/spo ... 2/schedule
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

They’re starting with Arline ⭐️⭐️
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:12 pm It looks like possible no pay link to tonight’s Ferris State
game, 7pm est,

The game is free streaming,
17-3 Bernhardt at the half.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:54 pm

Sorry, you can have a qb who runs a 3.8/40....the TO, as it's run by Navy is currently poo. Why send all their receivers on a deep streak route, when the qb does not even get 2 seconds to figure out how he is gonna save his life. Even AF, runs pop, screen, and dig routes to open up their semi-TO.

I feel horrible for Arline and the Navy receivers.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:30 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 12:12 pm It looks like possible no pay link to tonight’s Ferris State
game, 7pm est,

The game is free streaming,
17-3 Bernhardt at the half.
His current qbr is ridiculous
~Livy

old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:35 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:59 am Hope today goes better and we see some improvement. at the LoS.
Sorry, you can have a qb who runs a 3.8/40....the TO, as it's run by Navy is currently poo. Why send all their receivers on a deep streak route, when the qb does not even get 2 seconds to figure out how he is gonna save his life. Even AF, runs pop, screen, and dig routes to open up their semi-TO.

:shock: Navy OC Ivan Jasper just fired. ...Chet's call or KN's :?:
https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html
The Capital has learned through multiple sources that longtime Navy offensive coordinator Ivin Jasper was fired immediately after Saturday’s 23-3 loss to service academy rival Air Force.

Jasper was let go in the wake of a poor performance in which the Midshipmen finished with just 68 total yards and six first downs. Navy, which has led the nation in rushing offense many times during the current triple-option era, was limited to 36 yards on the ground.

Sources close to Jasper told The Capital a couple hours after the game that the veteran coach had been dismissed. Jasper did not immediately return a text message seeking comment.

Navy sports information director Scott Strasemeier declined to comment.

Jasper was in his 22nd season at Navy, including 20th as quarterbacks coach and 14th as offensive coordinator.

Navy struggled offensively throughout the 2020 season and was ranked 124th out of 128 Football Bowl Subdivision schools in total offense and 121st in scoring offense. The Midshipmen were No. 52 in rushing offense, the first time since 2002 they were not in the top 10.
jhu93

Post by jhu93 »

Drcthru wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 8:28 pm
keno in reno wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:58 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:12 pm Ferris State is a good D II football school. I wonder if he's trying to catch the eye of an NFL scout?
The answer is yes, and he already has. The best athlete in D1 lacrosse any year can compete with NFL players athletically. The next question is does that lacrosse player have the size, and the answer with Jared is yes (Sowers, Montgomery and Gray, though great lax athletes, cannot check that box unless they can play the tiny receiver/punt returner role).

So the next check is does he have a football skill....that is TBD. If he only wants to be a QB, that could be a huge leap. If he wants to play QB in D2 and transition to WR in the NFL, that is certainly possible. Even college QB to NFL safety is possible and Jared is certainly capable of that. Even a pro switch to running back is possible considering his elite athleticism. I wouldn't bet against him. There are a few recent running backs from Maryland (obviously a bad football team for the past 15 years) that are doing well in the NFL; Jared is at least as good athletically as them.
Chris Hogan?
No one was good before 2010. Everyone stunk. Without Doc Ugly to give woke points the game was pointless. Don't ever count anything before that season. Petro, Gary Gait and the Powells were not woke enough for today's game.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:02 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:59 am Hope today goes better and we see some improvement. at the LoS.

The Capital has learned through multiple sources that longtime Navy offensive coordinator Ivin Jasper was fired immediately after Saturday’s 23-3 loss to service academy rival Air Force.

Jasper was let go in the wake of a poor performance in which the Midshipmen finished with just 68 total yards and six first downs. Navy, which has led the nation in rushing offense many times during the current triple-option era, was limited to 36 yards on the ground.

Sources close to Jasper told The Capital a couple hours after the game that the veteran coach had been dismissed. Jasper did not immediately return a text message seeking comment.

Jasper was in his 22nd season at Navy, including 20th as quarterbacks coach and 14th as offensive coordinator.

Navy struggled offensively throughout the 2020 season and was ranked 124th out of 128 Football Bowl Subdivision schools in total offense and 121st in scoring offense. The Midshipmen were No. 52 in rushing offense, the first time since 2002 they were not in the top 10.
The replies in this tweet are classic. https://twitter.com/baltsunsports/statu ... 25540?s=21
~Livy

old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:43 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:02 pm

The replies in this tweet are classic. https://twitter.com/baltsunsports/statu ... 25540?s=21
They've got a bye week before the next game. Then the 6 best AAC teams & ND before the final 3, when the sched lightens up slightly;
I could see 0-9 after the ND game

What now ? The #3 QB showed some spark. Did Xavier bring his HS playbook with him ? Use him as a wildcat with Lavatai & Maynor trying to run the TO.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Bernhardt’s line included 210 rushing yards
and 2 tds.

Looks like Bernhardt could roll over all the teams on their
schedule except for Grand Valley State, they’ve given them
trouble in the past.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

second-ranked Ferris State University football squad lived up to its ranking on Saturday (Sept. 11) night as the Bulldogs posted a decisive 45-19 road win over the Ashland Eagles at Jack Miller Stadium in Ashland, Ohio, improving to 2-0 on the year.

Senior quarterback Jared Bernhardt continued his impressive early season play with a game-high 210 yards rushing on 14 carries, which included two touchdowns. He also completed eight-of-10 passes for 86 yards in the win.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Baltimore Sun interview with Jared

Bernhardt, who wears No. 12 just as he did in high school, said he is open to trying out for the NFL or going to the Premier Lacrosse League where Jake (Whipsnakes short-stick defensive midfielder) and Jesse (Chrome defenseman) play. But his top priority is helping his teammates win their next game.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ter ... story.html
RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

I'd venture 3/1 odds Belichik finds a roster or practice team spot for JB next year.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RopeUnit wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:55 am I'd venture 3/1 odds Belichik finds a roster or practice team spot for JB next year.
Or if the Pats success doesn’t exceed the Bucs this year. He went against his standard MO in the draft and free agency for the first time in two decades this offseason after Ali Marpet won Brady another super bowl. If the Bucs outperform the Pats he will do the traditional thing of throwing money at free agents and drafting conventionally rather than trading down for future value and won’t be taking “Yo’s” but rather diminish his reputation out of need to prove he’s the reason for the Pats success.

I don’t think folks realize how valuable the 51st-53rd roster spots are in the NFL. He better be a all world returner or KO coverage guy.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:41 am
RopeUnit wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:55 am I'd venture 3/1 odds Belichik finds a roster or practice team spot for JB next year.
Or if the Pats success doesn’t exceed the Bucs this year. He went against his standard MO in the draft and free agency for the first time in two decades this offseason after Ali Marpet won Brady another super bowl. If the Bucs outperform the Pats he will do the traditional thing of throwing money at free agents and drafting conventionally rather than trading down for future value and won’t be taking “Yo’s” but rather diminish his reputation out of need to prove he’s the reason for the Pats success.

I don’t think folks realize how valuable the 51st-53rd roster spots are in the NFL. He better be a all world returner or KO coverage guy.
I can envisage Bernhardt as an NFL kick or punt returner on special teams, with occasional spot duty as a pass-blocking running back on offense (which requires skill in reading defenses).

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:49 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:41 am

I can envisage Bernhardt as an NFL kick or punt returner on special teams, with occasional spot duty as a pass-blocking running back on offense (which requires skill in reading defenses).

DocBarrister
Why don’t we just enjoy his games at Ferris St now and think about that maybe in like Jan?
Kikin

Post by Kikin »

Anyone know why Jared is out tonight for Ferris?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Kikin wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:54 pm Anyone know why Jared is out tonight for Ferris?
No, but in the last play he did last week he came up with a limp.
Last edited by AreaLax on Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”