New Pro Women's League

D1 Womens Lacrosse
glaxer24

Re: New Pro Women's League

Post by glaxer24 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:23 am
DMac wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:52 am She sure did and it was very costly. Have never seen a Hill with poor stick stills, she couldn't get rid of the ball when any kind of pressure was put on her (this would have altered my pick had I known all this). GK change needed to be made but I don't know if they're swapping GKs per game and leaving them in there for the full sixty. Team Warden fell apart in the second half, didn't operate nearly as efficiently and smoothly as they did in the first half while Team Arsenault cleaned their act up and put it all together. Pace of the game slowed in the second half, don't know how these gals are going to play back to back to back days....it's pretty rough out there on the field too.
Learned something yesterday, never knew this.
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/07/ ... uit-model/
I can’t believe how rough the play is. The Refs are getting paid to walk up and down a shortened field and make very few calls. Good gig for them. I would be very suprised if no one gets seriously hurt by the time the league concludes . Mcpartland and Appuzzo took some serious swipes last night . To name a few instances .
“I would be very suprised if no one gets seriously hurt by the time the league concludes.” Unfortunately I have to agree. I’m all for letting them play but at times its honestly unsafe. The biggest thing they look to call are checks to the head but I’ve seen multiple go either uncalled or uncarded
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:23 am I can’t believe how rough the play is. The Refs are getting paid to walk up and down a shortened field and make very few calls. Good gig for them. I would be very suprised if no one gets seriously hurt by the time the league concludes . Mcpartland and Appuzzo took some serious swipes last night . To name a few instances .
I saw some of that in the only portion of the one game (read: scrimmage) I watched last weekend. Would you happen to remember roughly which portion of the games these swipes you mentioned took place in? I recorded them but haven't looked at them. If not--no biggie... Thanks
I don't get where the rough stuff comes in to grow the game or whatever the catch phrase/selling point du jour is this week. If there are indeed young women watching these games, that's not a very good example for them.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:56 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:23 am I can’t believe how rough the play is. The Refs are getting paid to walk up and down a shortened field and make very few calls. Good gig for them. I would be very suprised if no one gets seriously hurt by the time the league concludes . Mcpartland and Appuzzo took some serious swipes last night . To name a few instances .
I saw some of that in the only portion of the one game (read: scrimmage) I watched last weekend. Would you happen to remember roughly which portion of the games these swipes you mentioned took place in? I recorded them but haven't looked at them. If not--no biggie... Thanks
I don't get where the rough stuff comes in to grow the game or whatever the catch phrase/selling point du jour is this week. If there are indeed young women watching these games, that's not a very good example for them.
I don’t remember specifically I just remember seeing it and being shocked I think one time it was on Parella running to goal.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:05 am
I don’t remember specifically I just remember seeing it and being shocked I think one time it was on Parella running to goal.
Gotcha--thanks Laxfan.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Warden over Wood 7-6 heading into the fourth. Anybody's game.
Don't think two people are going to have the same story Hill has,
a little concerned about hearing from the Creator about her playing
lacrosse.
Man, when Apuzzo is chasing you when you've got the ball she's like
a Malenios on a criminal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buX-RaEG3YA
DMac

Post by DMac »

7-7, 1:30 to go, Warden ball, player up. Benson keeping Warden in it with a couple of big saves.
Warden making GBs look like trying to catch nightcrawlers again, also shooting themselves in the
foot too many times. Gotta score here.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pull out on the FPS (not a chance I'm doing that), don't get a shot, turnover, Wood ball 20 sec to go.
Benson out, bell rung, Hill in.
Prediction: Kent comes around to score the winner.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nope.
OT
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Team Wood finishes it. 8-7, OT.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Kent with the winner on a rebound, GB pick up and shot, classic Kent goal.
Apuzzo wins the draw in OT for Warden, pretty good possession,
good D by Wood, ball goes the other way on a shot clock violation
(did get a couple of shots off but not on cage). Game over.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 10:05 am
The push/hit and subsequent broken stick from Pirecca against Wakefield - wow
OuttaNowhereWregget

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:29 pm The push/hit and subsequent broken stick from Pirecca against Wakefield - wow
Playing three days in a row which is bound to take its toll on the athletes bodies--it does seem only a matter of time before someone really gets injured, nor can we rule out an altercation that could turn physical. Do you think the league decided the rough stuff will help them get where they're trying to get? (Which now that I pose the question is where exactly?)
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:58 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 4:29 pm The push/hit and subsequent broken stick from Pirecca against Wakefield - wow
Playing three days in a row which is bound to take its toll on the athletes bodies--it does seem only a matter of time before someone really gets injured, nor can we rule out an altercation that could turn physical. Do you think the league decided the rough stuff will help them get where they're trying to get? (Which now that I pose the question is where exactly?)
The only thing I can be almost certain about is that waivers of injury liability must have been signed.

As for the stick breaking, it can happen sometime with the composite shafts - some just have a sweet spot/weak point where they just snap. I've seen it happen in ages as young as 8th grade (nowhere near the speed, strength, size, or power of former gymnast Pirecca or Wakefield), so I'm hoping that was the case here. The hit was still hard, but the shaft breaking made it seem harder.
DMac

Post by DMac »

This sure made for some fantastic TV and I think the kind of play the coveted casual fan (my favorites) is looking for, or at least I think that's what the league muckety-mucks are thinking. Oh, and Wakefield's a beast!!
From my seat, I give this league an enthusiastic two thumbs up, I think they're doing a lot of things right and the athletes on the field are just out of this world good. Whether the league makes it or not is, of course, highly debatable but if it doesn't it won't be because of poor play and just mediocre players. This is, however, going to be a tough sell for the long time wlax afficionado as the game just too much resembles mlax, and I just don't think the long time appreciators of the finesse game are going to be comfortable watching this version of wlax. I do think the younger generation will though and as I've previously stated, I think this is the way they want to play the game. All that said, I don't want to see this game adopted in the college ranks, I like that game just the way it is.
I think UA is doing a good job with the broadcasts and message they're sending, they're pretty darn positive the way I see 'em. The back stories of some of the girls has been interesting to me too, you kind of "get to know" these gals a little, it's a nice touch...enjoyed the gymnasts Pirecca sisters interview, for example, the Hill interview too.
They've made a fan of the league out out me, so one down, a hundred and forty seven million to go.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

DMac wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:13 am
This sure made for some fantastic TV and I think the kind of play the coveted casual fan (my favorites) is looking for, or at least I think that's what the league muckety-mucks are thinking. Oh, and Wakefield's a beast!!
From my seat, I give this league an enthusiastic two thumbs up, I think they're doing a lot of things right and the athletes on the field are just out of this world good. Whether the league makes it or not is, of course, highly debatable but if it doesn't it won't be because of poor play and just mediocre players. This is, however, going to be a tough sell for the long time wlax afficionado as the game just too much resembles mlax, and I just don't think the long time appreciators of the finesse game are going to be comfortable watching this version of wlax. I do think the younger generation will though and as I've previously stated, I think this is the way they want to play the game. All that said, I don't want to see this game adopted in the college ranks, I like that game just the way it is.
I think UA is doing a good job with the broadcasts and message they're sending, they're pretty darn positive the way I see 'em. The back stories of some of the girls has been interesting to me too, you kind of "get to know" these gals a little, it's a nice touch...enjoyed the gymnasts Pirecca sisters interview, for example, the Hill interview too.
They've made a fan of the league out out me, so one down, a hundred and forty seven million to go.
I second that. It’s just awesome to see the best of the best playing together again. AU is definitely doing a lot of things right like getting on TV & making the games fan friendly (I say this having went to on). I also just love their overall message and everything they stand for, especially the work they are doing for the charities of the athletes’ choices.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gotta keep on top of the schedule if you wanna see these games, Arsenault v Wood on now (thought it was noon, glad I checked), on FS1. Treanor v Warden at 1:30 on FS1 too.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Just another good and tight game played by the pro wlaxers, 6-5 at the half on a Hail Mary the gods sprinkled a little dust on and ended up in the cage as the clock hit zeros.
Some good stuff going on out there, Tracy's around the world goal was sweet, Kent's assists are just pretty, puts the ball right in the stick which is a huge deal...off target pass just throws the shooter off a bit.
Simkins is just crazy good (3rd team AA my asz), she really got shafted on a push from behind no call...gotta make that call. Both GKs have made some super nice saves....good stuff.
Mother Nature not being nice to the girls today....raining pretty hard at times.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Douty and Wallpher both injured & out of game 11
DMac

Post by DMac »

Team Wood wins it, 13-10. Kind of odd in that the two point shot throws a little garbage in the game as to how many times the ball was put in the cage.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Game 12 is delayed because of field conditions, hopefully it happens today but the field does look really bad

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”