Boston College

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Boston College

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

THE two biggest and most highly anticipated games on the BC regular season schedule next year will be Carolina and Syracuse. Both teams will be looking to get a measure of revenge for championship weekend. Those are the first two games I’ll look for and circle when the ‘22 schedule comes out. And maybe the game against Northwestern who they typically play. But Carolina and Syracuse are the big ones.
howdyyall

Post by howdyyall »

I’m curious when people will understand this BC team was a flash in the pan for ‘one’ weekend. Similar to JMU a few years back or the NY giants team who beat the undefeated Pats a decade ago, one game upsets happen all the time. But by no means we’re they the best team this past season. Probably at best 4th…probably should’ve been reflected in the final polls. Just sayin….
BCGold

Post by BCGold »

Ur right, I have no idea where they came from, BC was definitely just a “flash in the pan” last year, they were barely on the radar over the past 5 years

And their cupboard is bare going forward, best players graduating, and no top recruits in the pipeline

I better look for another team to follow
OuttaNowhereWregget

howdyyall wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:49 pm I’m curious when people will understand this BC team was a flash in the pan for ‘one’ weekend. Similar to JMU a few years back or the NY giants team who beat the undefeated Pats a decade ago, one game upsets happen all the time. But by no means we’re they the best team this past season. Probably at best 4th…probably should’ve been reflected in the final polls. Just sayin….
Making a big splash with your first post, I see.

JMU is a poor comparison. The Dukes have been to the final four only twice in their history, the time before 2018 being the year 2000. BC made it to four straight national title games. That's no "flash in the pan". As for their title run in '21, anyone with eyes saw BC improve as the season went on. Their talent, skill and disciplined play all over the field was undeniable. Also--the Giants did it again to the Cheatriots a few years later in the Super Bowl proving the first time was no "one game upset". They were outcoached and outplayed by the Giants in both games. The same could be said for BC in their wins over Carolina and Syracuse during the 'one' weekend. To the victor belong the spoils, and the banner of being the best team comes with winning the last game. The Eagles beat the #1 team in the semi's and ended their 27 game winning streak. When you beat #1 on your way to a national championship, you become #1--that's how it works. Anything else is sour grapes. And finally, to quote Hall of Famer Sheehan Stanwick Burch: "As we know, the polls mean nothing."
howdyyall

Post by howdyyall »

You may deem it a poor comparison but facts do not. Unless you don’t want to compare wlax fo football. The Pats were undefeated, beat the giants in the regular season with some struggle, but not much. Heavy favorites in the super bowl rematch. You ‘could’ say the same about UNC vs BC. Carolina is and was the better squad. No question about it. They had a bad day at the wrong time. Same can be said about Brady and his Pats. It’s a fair enough comparison and I would love to see why the conparison would not be suitable. Would love to see the argument for why not.

But the bottom line is this. BC was a ‘flash in the pan’ for one weekend compared to their preseason expectation comparative to their cohorts. Big congrats to them for winning, but they had flimsy goalie play and flimsy defense all season. But they were talented enough to make it to the final weekend where anyone is capable.

BUT it is important to note, just because you beat #1 ONCE doesn’t make you the best. No one worth their salt argues those giants who beat the Tom Brady randy moss undefeated Pats is a better team. At least no one who knows anything. At best they rank them 2nd. So sorry to burst any illusions you have but Carolina was th best team this past season plain and simple. Advanced metrics back this up too….
OuttaNowhereWregget

howdyyall wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:31 pm You may deem it a poor comparison but facts do not. Unless you don’t want to compare wlax fo football. The Pats were undefeated, beat the giants in the regular season with some struggle, but not much. Heavy favorites in the super bowl rematch. You ‘could’ say the same about UNC vs BC. Carolina is and was the better squad. No question about it. They had a bad day at the wrong time. Same can be said about Brady and his Pats. It’s a fair enough comparison and I would love to see why the conparison would not be suitable. Would love to see the argument for why not.

But the bottom line is this. BC was a ‘flash in the pan’ for one weekend compared to their preseason expectation comparative to their cohorts. Big congrats to them for winning, but they had flimsy goalie play and flimsy defense all season. But they were talented enough to make it to the final weekend where anyone is capable.

BUT it is important to note, just because you beat #1 ONCE doesn’t make you the best. No one worth their salt argues those giants who beat the Tom Brady randy moss undefeated Pats is a better team. At least no one who knows anything. At best they rank them 2nd. So sorry to burst any illusions you have but Carolina was th best team this past season plain and simple. Advanced metrics back this up too….
If Carolina was the best team they would have won the national championship. When it came time for the Heels to prove their superiority and claim Excalibur--they choked. That's another way of saying "they had a bad day at the wrong time" without the sugar coating. No one besides sour grapes Carolina fans are talking about "preseason expectation comparative to their cohorts" or "Advanced metrics" as a way to qualify the Tar Heels failure and diminish BC's triumph. It's nonsense. And bear in mind, BC bounced the Heels from the national semi's in 2019 as well, so this was nothing new...for either team.
BCGold

Post by BCGold »

I actually somewhat agree with ur Giants/Pats reference, which as a Pats fan I hate both those SB losses

But the phrase “flash in the pan” is way off. To me that is saying that BC even making the FF, then actually winning it, was so far fetched that it could never happen again.

Making 4 straight Championship games with 2 Tewaaraton winners is far from a flash in the pan

I’m sure u know that already, but we bit and responded to defend our team anyways, lol
OuttaNowhereWregget

BCGold wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:07 am we bit and responded to defend our team
Bart

Post by Bart »

howdyyall wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:31 pm You may deem it a poor comparison but facts do not. Unless you don’t want to compare wlax fo football. The Pats were undefeated, beat the giants in the regular season with some struggle, but not much. Heavy favorites in the super bowl rematch. You ‘could’ say the same about UNC vs BC. Carolina is and was the better squad. No question about it. They had a bad day at the wrong time. Same can be said about Brady and his Pats. It’s a fair enough comparison and I would love to see why the conparison would not be suitable. Would love to see the argument for why not.

A flash in the pan for a program that has made the final four how many times in a row? A flash in the pan for an 18-3 season where they beat several teams in the top 10? I a not even a BC fan and I find this statement rather ridiculous.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I think most people will agree that UNC was the more talented team. If you line up the 12 starters virtually every matchup favors UNC. There is a reason they won 27 games in a row and were considered unbeatable last year, and if they played BC 10 times they probably win at least 8, but on the biggest stage in women's lacrosse (the final four) with all the pressure in the world on their shoulders they could not get it done. They were outplayed and it was beautiful to watch! BC got better every week of the year and played with confidence and a bit of attitude. On the last weekend of the year BC was the best team in the country!
Bart

Post by Bart »

Lax101 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:49 am I think most people will agree that UNC was the more talented team. If you line up the 12 starters virtually every matchup favors UNC. There is a reason they won 27 games in a row and were considered unbeatable last year, and if they played BC 10 times they probably win at least 8, but on the biggest stage in women's lacrosse (the final four) with all the pressure in the world on their shoulders they could not get it done. They were outplayed and it was beautiful to watch! BC got better every week of the year and played with confidence and a bit of attitude. On the last weekend of the year BC was the best team in the country!
While I agree with your statement 100% it certainly does not indicate that BC was a flash in the pan.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Preseason and in-season rankings done by anyone besides the IWLCA are essentially just for entertainment and basically negligible. Lacrosse publications need something to write about and previewing the season is common in every sport. They usually are based on how the team did the previous season and any roster changes made since then (lost to graduation, transfers).

On paper, Carolina was the best team coming into championship weekend, I think a lot of people can agree on that. But does that really even matter? They weren't the best team on May 28, 2021. Therefore, they do not get to call themselves 2021 NCAA champions. The fact that it was against what you deem "flimsy goalie play" and "flimsy defense" only adds insult to injury.

You mentioned earlier that one game upsets happen all the time - and you're right. It's why people love sports. If the favorite won all the time what would be the fun and entertainment in that? That one time is the time that matters. They didn't turn around and give the Soviets the gold medal in '80 because OOPSIE they were clearly the better team and didn't play their best in the semi finals. Same with Georgetown BB in '85, UMBC taking down 1-seeded UVA, wild card Nats against the Astros, etc. You don't get a prize for being the best team to not win a championship. Why do you think it's called March Madness and why do you think it's so profitable? OOPSIE, NC State, you know what? We're actually going to need that 1983 title back, because you weren't better than Houston, even though you beat them...

The fact that it was posted on the BC tread was clearly meant to troll, which is fine, we're all big kids here, but I believe it doesn't exactly sound the way you think. I'm not even a BC fan, and I do like Carolina, among others, but I really don't see what there is to gain by saying "well, we didn't win the National Championship in 2021, but we were the best team!" That's not exactly something to brag about? That much talent and you still didn't win?
OuttaNowhereWregget

What's that saying about hindsight?

This is an interesting topic to glance through in retrospect. viewtopic.php?f=129&t=2920 Everyone picked the Heels to win except Laxallday and DMac who boldly picked BC to win.

Even though it proved incorrect, Gretchen had a great gif in response to Laxallday:
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

I certainly don’t feel BC is a flash in the pan. Not after going to four straight championship games. Alicia has built a strong program which I believe will be a top 5 team or higher for quite some time.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Lax101 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:49 am I think most people will agree that UNC was the more talented team. If you line up the 12 starters virtually every matchup favors UNC. There is a reason they won 27 games in a row and were considered unbeatable last year, and if they played BC 10 times they probably win at least 8, but on the biggest stage in women's lacrosse (the final four) with all the pressure in the world on their shoulders they could not get it done. They were outplayed and it was beautiful to watch! BC got better every week of the year and played with confidence and a bit of attitude. On the last weekend of the year BC was the best team in the country!

I guess I don't qualify as "most people". I've seen "The Unbeatable" movie many times and it's amazing how many times...they GET BEAT! Examples : Duke('07), UNC('09), Northwestern('10), MD('11), Florida('12)...All were beaten. We have seen it in other sports, so why are people in this sport surprised? Having the most talent does not guarantee you a damn thing. Nothing. It simply says "wow, look at all that talent".
It's like driving by a new housing enclave and you look at the homes and marvel at how stately and gorgeous they are. Then you find out they are a collaborative effort of one of the worst architects and worst contractors in the area. My guess is that you will not be buying one of those houses. Get where I'm going? Don't buy a car that looks good, but has no engine.

Okay, back to the "most people". :lol: :roll:
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

My "most people" comment related to UNC being the more talented team individually. Its hard to argue that. Are you disagreeing? If so name 6 or more BC starters that were better than their UNC counterpart. I'll give you one - CN. Which "team" is better is a different question. I know where you stand on that one.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax101 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:07 pm My "most people" comment related to UNC being the more talented team individually. Its hard to argue that. Are you disagreeing? If so name 6 or more BC starters that were better than their UNC counterpart. I'll give you one - CN. Which "team" is better is a different question. I know where you stand on that one.
I'll take Belle Smith over any midfielder, (most likely Mastroianni), Carolina can put on the field. I know Ally takes draws but Belle is a "go to" when the Eagles need a goal and she's also a great defender. I'll also take Hollie Schleicher as a defensive midfielder over anyone the Heels can put on the field at that same position. I might also consider Scales as defender and Hall as GK. Both big time big game performers.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:13 am Preseason and in-season rankings done by anyone besides the IWLCA are essentially just for entertainment and basically negligible.
I remember talking to John Sung a few years back. Somehow the coaches poll came up. He told me it could be any coaches, including assistants. He said frequently there are weeks where most of the coaches weighing in are assistants.
BCGold

Post by BCGold »

I’d throw Jenn Medjid into the mix of BC starters that were better than their UNC counterpart. She had a great season, and may have had the best Final Four of anyone.

Could make a case for Cara Urbank as well

Tough to compare for the whole year tho, BC had terrific freshmen defensemen in Scales and Hunter Roman that really only began to be recognized midway thru the year…same with the Weeks sisters.

Interesting discussion, but as others have stated, it’s the team that plays it’s best as a cohesive unit, and comes thru in crunch time, that usually comes out on top.

And thankfully that happened 😎☘️
OuttaNowhereWregget

BCGold wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:04 pm I’d throw Jenn Medjid into the mix of BC starters that were better than their UNC counterpart. She had a great season, and may have had the best Final Four of anyone.

Could make a case for Cara Urbank as well.

Tough to compare for the whole year tho, BC had terrific freshmen defensemen in Scales and Hunter Roman that really only began to be recognized midway thru the year…same with the Weeks sisters.

Interesting discussion, but as others have stated, it’s the team that plays it’s best as a cohesive unit, and comes thru in crunch time, that usually comes out on top.

And thankfully that happened 😎☘️
Given that North gets the easy nod over Ortega, you may well be right about Medjid next. If we are comparing attack to attack from last year, probably not as Hoeg would have to win that, but next year--the edge could go to Jenn over SRG, Wurzburger, Aldave, Warehime... I'd give North or Hall the better final four than Medjid even though she had a sparkling two games.

Cara's numbers were amazing across the board all season from the draw circle to the goal: Played all 21 games 39g 43a 15gb 13ct 71dc

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”