Rutgers 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Rutgers 2021

Post by Wheels »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:45 am
i understand he sees the field, but daring him to score from 3-4 yards doesn't seem like a strategy.
They slid really early in the 1st quarter but then seemed to back off of that. Rutgers tends to pack in behind the on-ball defender, so it makes it a little tougher to send double teams because you can see them coming from further away. They seemed more content to play their base defense.

I'd expect Rutgers to spend a lot of time over the next couple of weeks developing more depth in its midfield. They looked like they played a few more players this time against Maryland compared to the last time. RU is going to roll its next 4 opponents, so build depth and prepare for the post-season. You know your top 6 is going to be really hard to deal with, so now getting anything else is icing.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:31 am
Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:16 am He was playing a great player in Bernhardt, but that was not my point. You could do a two hour show on close defenseman play . I’m just throwing some thing I saw that is basic. That’s on Rutgers and the staff. But, close defense in general don’t play aggressive enough to causes turnovers. And yes stick technology / crab nets have a lot to do with it. Until Bernhardt gets to May 15th he won’t play a defense in the top 30 in scoring defense.. MD is top20. Jean Felix is a good athlete if the coaches work w him could be better. The stick is 72 inches for a reason , put it out at 12oclock and good things happen.
You’re still mentioning scoring defense, which is not as good an indicator as defensive success.

Also, depending on who Maryland draws in the tournament, it’s entirely possible he doesn’t see a top defense till Memorial Day. UVA is in the 40’s in adjusted defensive efficiency and North Carolina is 40th. They could play them both to get to the championship, both are way worse than Rutgers. Perhaps they could get GTown and ND who are both elite.

Point is, Rutgers is a good defense and scoring defense isn’t a good way of indicating defensive strength because it doesn’t control for anything like how many possession there are in the game or how often you’re playing defense due to faceoffs and things like that for example
Look, the efficiency BS in lacrosse? Give me a break . Year in & year out ND is #1 in scoring defense . Why? Because they play great defense.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:46 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:16 am He was playing a great player in Bernhardt, but that was not my point. You could do a two hour show on close defenseman play . I’m just throwing some thing I saw that is basic. That’s on Rutgers and the staff. But, close defense in general don’t play aggressive enough to causes turnovers. And yes stick technology / crab nets have a lot to do with it. Until Bernhardt gets to May 15th he won’t play a defense in the top 30 in scoring defense.. MD is top20. Jean Felix is a good athlete if the coaches work w him could be better. The stick is 72 inches for a reason , put it out at 12oclock and good things happen.
You’re still mentioning scoring defense, which is not as good an indicator as defensive success.

Also, depending on who Maryland draws in the tournament, it’s entirely possible he doesn’t see a top defense till Memorial Day. UVA is in the 40’s in adjusted defensive efficiency and North Carolina is 40th. They could play them both to get to the championship, both are way worse than Rutgers. Perhaps they could get GTown and ND who are both elite.

Point is, Rutgers is a good defense and scoring defense isn’t a good way of indicating defensive strength because it doesn’t control for anything like how many possession there are in the game or how often you’re playing defense due to faceoffs and things like that for example
Look, the efficiency BS in lacrosse? Give me a break . Year in & year out ND is #1 in scoring defense . Why? Because they play great defense.
Efficiency is literally the # of goals you give up divided by the number of possessions you have. That’s literally it. It just measures it by possessions instead of the raw total because the raw total is influenced by stuff outside of how well you play defense like faceoffs.

And Notre Dame ranks....5th in adjusted defensive efficiency. So yeah chill out with the anti-math screed dude.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

IMO NCAA stats justify teams results enough to make opinions on strengths and weaknesses.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:31 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:46 pm

Efficiency is literally the # of goals you give up divided by the number of possessions you have. That’s literally it. It just measures it by possessions instead of the raw total because the raw total is influenced by stuff outside of how well you play defense like faceoffs.

And Notre Dame ranks....5th in adjusted defensive efficiency. So yeah chill out with the anti-math screed dude.
Efficiency is superior but not a panacea as it cannot calibrate the quality of the possession. Hypothetical, bit how would you account for 6x6 vs scrums and fast breaks. a team could have a disproportionate amount of the latter or defense unlucky and give up a crazy amount of those. Can measure time of possession and some other areas but I wouldn’t lean on efficiency as if it’s perfect as a slam dunk argument. In baseball they break it down to where the ball is ok the field for each play for example. I push back because folks misapply statistical analysis all the time but it’s gotten so bad in professional sports as to slowly be turning me away and I bled baseball and football growing up with my dad and playing.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
bananas

Post by bananas »

Emphatic win by Knights that has to impress.14 goals by attack.

After this weekend Bernhardt should be in lead for Tewarrton and Maryland should be getting many #1 votes .

Sure Notre Dame and UVA be in top five now but Knights should hold serve if not move up a notch.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

bananas wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:06 pm Emphatic win by Knights that has to impress.14 goals by attack.

After this weekend Bernhardt should be in lead for Tewarrton and Maryland should be getting many #1 votes .

Sure Notre Dame and UVA be in top five now but Knights should hold serve if not move up a notch.
RU should not drop and needs to hold firm or better....Maryland is the best team in America....RU is a legit top 5-7 team period right now....if they stumble, then maybe they can be questioned, but not now...I'd take them today in a game vs UVA and Syracuse...

RU is legit
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

After RU blowtorched PSU today, I won't be surprised to see PSU declare a huge COVID outbreak and suspend its season. If they do keep playing, will they win another game this year? Seriously, RU broke PSU today. Impressive win.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Wheels wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:02 pm After RU blowtorched PSU today, I won't be surprised to see PSU declare a huge COVID outbreak and suspend its season. If they do keep playing, will they win another game this year? Seriously, RU broke PSU today. Impressive win.
I can remember when Tambroni went to PSU everyone said watch out, We Are will be a superior program in no time flat given all of their resources. We‘re still waiting. We‘re still waiting for Ohio State and Michigan as well. Big time football doesn‘t mean you automatically get a big time lacrosse program to go along with it. As a matter of fact, both Maryland and Rutgers could make a case for the worse the football, the better the lax. Guess you could through Syracuse along in there as well.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Wheels wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:02 pm After RU blowtorched PSU today, I won't be surprised to see PSU declare a huge COVID outbreak and suspend its season. If they do keep playing, will they win another game this year? Seriously, RU broke PSU today. Impressive win.
I can remember when Tambroni went to PSU everyone said watch out, We Are will be a superior program in no time flat given all of their resources. We‘re still waiting. We‘re still waiting for Ohio State and Michigan as well. Big time football doesn‘t mean you automatically get a big time lacrosse program to go along with it. As a matter of fact, both Maryland and Rutgers could make a case for the worse the football, the better the lax. Guess you could throw Syracuse along in there as well.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Football showed some progress last year that should continue under Schiano . Cant see us ever being OSU but little expense being spared. Basketball team might have made the Elite Eight if they hadn't played stall ball against Houston. This is the year for lax, likely to take step back next year but winning attracts and Rutgers right now second best in B10 and could make some noise come NCAA tourney
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

PSU is hosting the Big Tourney
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:48 pm
bananas wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:06 pm Emphatic win by Knights that has to impress.14 goals by attack.

RU should not drop and needs to hold firm or better....Maryland is the best team in America....RU is a legit top 5-7 team period right now....if they stumble, then maybe they can be questioned, but not now...I'd take them today in a game vs UVA and Syracuse...

RU is legit
if you feel like your team isn't being given the proper respect, talking smack about higher ranked teams with significantly better quality wins, isn't going to get you there. We will see who the best team is in the NCAA tournament. I am pretty confident Maryland, Cuse and UVA will be there.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

the face-off bug hits RU again. almost lost this one cause they can't win a face off. Please BB, recruit some high level face off talent. in the beginning of the year it seemed to have corrected itself but lately it's been more of the same old struggles.

this is going to be a huge problem if they make the tournament and play schools like g'town, denver, duke, unc, lehigh, etc.
AOD

Post by AOD »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:05 am the face-off bug hits RU again. almost lost this one cause they can't win a face off. Please BB, recruit some high level face off talent. in the beginning of the year it seemed to have corrected itself but lately it's been more of the same old struggles.

this is going to be a huge problem if they make the tournament and play schools like g'town, denver, duke, unc, lehigh, etc.
NJ high schools routinely produce some of the best FOGOs in the nation. And these players aren't just attracted to the glamour programs. BB really has recruited poorly for this position.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

We had a pretty good kid Matt Pedicine you could’ve used out of Clark NJ

https://hwsathletics.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9383
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
bananas

Post by bananas »

AOD wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:46 am
Njlaxx11 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:05 am the face-off bug hits RU again. almost lost this one cause they can't win a face off. Please BB, recruit some high level face off talent. in the beginning of the year it seemed to have corrected itself but lately it's been more of the same old struggles.

NJ high schools routinely produce some of the best FOGOs in the nation. And these players aren't just attracted to the glamour programs. BB really has recruited poorly for this position.
Been a critic of Brecht for not keeping best defenders in NJ but not sure fogo is a position of strength in NJ. Baptiste a HOF but only current ones that come to mind are Cole of St Joes and Labetti of Richmond. NY produces plenty of good ones, St Anthonys is a factory.. Dugenio is a NJ product and thought he would be the answer but hasn't. Faceoffs are the one part of game that will hold us back from making a serious run in tourney. Frustrating because other pieces are in place this year.
AOD

Post by AOD »

bananas wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:26 pm
AOD wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:46 am

Been a critic of Brecht for not keeping best defenders in NJ but not sure fogo is a position of strength in NJ. Baptiste a HOF but only current ones that come to mind are Cole of St Joes and Labetti of Richmond. NY produces plenty of good ones, St Anthonys is a factory.. Dugenio is a NJ product and thought he would be the answer but hasn't. Faceoffs are the one part of game that will hold us back from making a serious run in tourney. Frustrating because other pieces are in place this year.
Well, clearly he missed Baptiste. Baptiste was headed to F&M until Tierney discovered him in New Jersey. Baptiste was playing HS lacrosse less than an hour from New Brunswick. You are correct in naming Cole and Labetti (playing at Fairfield), two who also played within an hour of NB. Mentioned upthread is Pedicine. Then there's Connor Gaffney at Lehigh (#4 in the nation in 2019) and the current #4 in the nation at Monmouth. That's off the top of my head without any research at all. BB didn't need to look far to improve that position - he just needed to look in NJ.
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

Maybe you should give brecht a call, lol. Can't hurt.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Wow, folks! As many of you probably saw, I did a "national title predictions" poll. My choices were:

Maryland, Notre Dame, Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, Denver, Georgetown, and Other

Multiple people, including maybe some of you on this thread, said you are picking Rutgers. Wow, looks like I made a mistake not including them among the individual choices! Would be one of the best stories in the history of College Lacrosse if they did hoist the gold trophy!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”