Transfer Portal

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Transfer Portal

Post by HopFan16 »

dek wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:02 am
njfanlax wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:26 am Just wondering what schools the athletes who entered the transfer portal are looking at. I would assume the list is relatively small and would primarily comprise schools from the ACC (5), Big East (6), Big 10 (6), Patriot (3), and America East (1). Am I missing any others?
Thought I saw the Holy Cross FOGO (O’Connell) Is headed to Duke for his 5th year. Can’t find the source now though. He’s not on Hopfan’s list above. Likely an impact player.
He was in the transfer portal prior to the cancellation of the season.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Surprised to see Fernandez in portal...any Cuse guys have info on that?
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

One ore two will move up in quality (lacrosse wise), two or three will make a lateral move, and the rest will move down whether it’s DI DII or DIII.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Does one need to be in the transfer portal in order to transfer?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

QuakerSouth wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:04 am Does one need to be in the transfer portal in order to transfer?
If a player wanted to play a sport. Prior to current situation you saw 3 Lacrosse players enter the portal because they wanted to play football
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

Seahawk wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:32 am One ore two will move up in quality (lacrosse wise), two or three will make a lateral move, and the rest will move down whether it’s DI DII or DIII.

I know that there are also underclassmen in the transfer portal. But for seniors taking advantage of their 5th year of eligibility, it doesn't seem like the lower D1 lacrosse programs offer many graduate school opportunities. D2 and D3 schools have even fewer graduate school opportunities. These seniors must have some destination already in mind before they enter their names into the transfer portal.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

QuakerSouth wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:04 am Does one need to be in the transfer portal in order to transfer?
Not sure if you graduate that it is a must. The portal is also a signal to prospective coaches. Not sure if the 5th year players looking to participate in another sport, are listed in that sports portal?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

No but if you are on a roster and not in the portal you are not allowed to speak with other coaches. Players get around this by having club or high school coaches talk to perspective coaches. You can get a release which has you removed from a roster and not enter the portal and call coaches on your own. Not 100% on this but pretty sure this is how it works.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

njfanlax wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:26 am Just wondering what schools the athletes who entered the transfer portal are looking at. I would assume the list is relatively small and would primarily comprise schools from the ACC (5), Big East (6), Big 10 (6), Patriot (3), and America East (1). Am I missing any others?
I could see Utah using fifth year players over the next few years to build/bolster the roster and help the program mature. A lot of grad school opportunities, 12.6 scholarships, and a good chance to be an impact player might entice a lot of guys.

I don't know about the rest of the CAA but UMass and Delaware would seem to be in play for grad transfers. Possibly some NEC schools as well assuming the league doesn't have an Ivy/Patriot League grad transfer policy.
laxknight

Post by laxknight »

The tough part to predict here is how many of the seniors on these teams mentioned above are going to return. In a situation like this, the reality is that coaches will first and foremost make sure the seniors on their team have the opportunity to come back before giving roster spots to transfers (despite an urgent team need/an extreme talent). Let's say 3 or 4 of the most impactful seniors at each school return. How many transfers would these schools be prepared to offer if that means risking cutting incoming freshmen/previous kids on the team in order to be compliant with roster limitations? Schools are going to be very selective with offering spots.

In addition: Seniors who have entered the portal, in pursuit of graduate school opportunities, most likely are looking to upgrade from their previous lacrosse/academic situations. If an opportunity does not arise where they could upgrade, I see fewer and fewer players electing to transfer and continue playing. If I had to make a guess, only about 10-11 players will end up transferring into the top 4 leagues (ACC, B-10, B-E, PL)
njfanlax

Post by njfanlax »

laxknight wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:58 pm
The tough part to predict here is how many of the seniors on these teams mentioned above are going to return. In a situation like this, the reality is that coaches will first and foremost make sure the seniors on their team have the opportunity to come back before giving roster spots to transfers (despite an urgent team need/an extreme talent). Let's say 3 or 4 of the most impactful seniors at each school return. How many transfers would these schools be prepared to offer if that means risking cutting incoming freshmen/previous kids on the team in order to be compliant with roster limitations? Schools are going to be very selective with offering spots.

In addition: Seniors who have entered the portal, in pursuit of graduate school opportunities, most likely are looking to upgrade from their previous lacrosse/academic situations. If an opportunity does not arise where they could upgrade, I see fewer and fewer players electing to transfer and continue playing. If I had to make a guess, only about 10-11 players will end up transferring into the top 4 leagues (ACC, B-10, B-E, PL)

The cynic in me is taking the opposite opinion. There are a lot of strong candidates already in the transfer portal. Why wouldn't a coach at any school NOT try to accommodate one (or more) of those players (e.g. All-American caliber) knowing that the transfer player can definitely help his team? The coach's ultimate responsibility is to the team and to help it win. He doesn't owe any individual player anything. If winning requires that he sacrifice his own current players and their scholarship money, why not? These free agents are mostly 1 year rentals; so if it doesn't work out, it's not that big of a loss. The NCAA has created a 4 year cycle of opportunity for coaches to take advantage of the transfer portal, and I think coaches would be idiots not to be creative and test it out.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

TX reporting Sowers is in the portal
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:30 pm TX reporting Sowers is in the portal
Penn State ?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

10stone5 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:34 pm
Penn State ?
Think Duke or Georgetown are more likely, if anything
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Why, better academic perception or any specific tangible reasons around specific personnel turning around?

I don't know if an Ivy kids would just thumb their nose at a PSU/OSU (good schools) because they can go to GTown or Duke as a matter of fact.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:38 pm Why, better academic perception or any specific tangible reasons around specific personnel turning around?

I don't know if an Ivy kids would just thumb their nose at a PSU/OSU (good schools) because they can go to GTown or Duke as a matter of fact.
Academic reputation definitely plays into it but for Sowers specifically, those were two other schools he was seriously considering before he committed to Princeton in 2013. In this article he says his final decision was down to Princeton and Georgetown:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ride/32836
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Got it, makes some sense, though four years later could he have decided either "I've got along but this combination commitment is a bit much" or "I kind of don't like other aspect of this type of school"? I see the logic, just wondering if what decision was made as a Soph/Jr in HS would be the same decision today with the benefit of time, age and experience. I guess we will eventually find out. Certainly a GRE/GMAT should dictate some of it.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

Unlikely for sure but Syracuse could be a dark horse here as March has a very good relationship with Sowers. That said I still think an ivy type school is the most likely destination as HopFan pointed out. UVA should be very active as well plus Petro.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

Wisconsin just closed the door on 5th year of eligibility.

https://lacrossetribune.com/sports/coll ... d5e46.html
Tdemling6

Post by Tdemling6 »

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”