3/10 - at Towson
3/14 - Johns Hopkins
3/21 - Maryland
3/27 - at Michigan
3/31 - Louisville

4/11 - Penn State
4/19 - at Northwestern
4/25 - Rutgers

Does this schedule strike anyone else as odd? Seems like new coach Amy Bokker has scheduled a lot of games in a tight window with not much time to rest. 6 games in 17 days to start February. Then 7 games in March, to then only 3 games in April. They go without playing anyone for 10 days in early April with another 8 days off after their game with Penn State on the 11th.
I think it may have to do with her late arrival as coach and the ability to schedule games, meaning this may have been all that basically available to her?
Or you could look at those first 3 Feb. games as warm ups to real competition.
wlaxnut

Re: Looking forward to 2020

Post by wlaxnut »

Interesting article on the growth of lacrosse in the last 10 years.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... evel/55727
wlaxnut

Advances in wlax over the last 10 years

Post by wlaxnut »

Nereo1234

Post by Nereo1234 »

More coverage is good for sport, specially outside USA
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

Happy New Year! We can finally say “ Lax starts next month!”
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

This should be one of the most unpredictable seasons in recent memory. 5 or 6 Teams can win it all. Can’t wait for the Season to start! Let the upsets begin!
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

Yes some big games early on in February that should be exciting!
wlaxnut

2020 is here

Post by wlaxnut »

37 Days Away and the new season begins.

I'm also very excited about the new season starting up. It will be very interesting to see how it develops, who the surprise teams are, who ends up being national champion (I think it will be North Carolina or Maryland but I hope I'm wrong.)
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Lax247 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:16 am Yes some big games early on in February that should be exciting!
Which ones? I know UNC plays Maryland on the 22nd, then Maryland travels to Syracuse on the 28th...
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:02 am This should be one of the most unpredictable seasons in recent memory. 5 or 6 Teams can win it all. Can’t wait for the Season to start! Let the upsets begin!
Which 5 or 6 teams? Are you predicting any particular upsets?
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

SB at Syracuse
MD at UNC
Northwestern v ND
Northwestern v Syracuse
Also Florida plays Stony Brook
and Maryland
So several exciting games early on!
Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

I honestly think
Maryland
UNC
NU
ND
Syracuse

Will all be in the hunt to the end
It will also come down to seeding and momentum at the end of the season and playoffs
Any of these 5 have a legit chance I believe.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

wlaxnut wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:05 am
LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 7:02 am This should be one of the most unpredictable seasons in recent memory. 5 or 6 Teams can win it all. Can’t wait for the Season to start! Let the upsets begin!
In no particular order...UNC, Maryland, Syracuse, Northwestern, Notre Dame. For an upset...I predict Northwetern will end Maryland’s long home winning streak this year.
wlaxnut

Re: Ohio State 2020 schedule

Post by wlaxnut »

Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:19 am
8meterPA wrote: Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:03 am
wlaxnut wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 3:43 pm 2/7 - Duquesne
2/9 - Robert Morris
2/12 - Kent State
2/15 - at Stony Brook
2/19 - Cincinnati
2/23 - at Notre Dame

3/1 - at UMass
3/7 - at Marquette
3/10 - at Towson
3/14 - Johns Hopkins
3/21 - Maryland
3/27 - at Michigan
3/31 - Louisville

4/11 - Penn State
4/19 - at Northwestern
4/25 - Rutgers

Does this schedule strike anyone else as odd? Seems like new coach Amy Bokker has scheduled a lot of games in a tight window with not much time to rest. 6 games in 17 days to start February. Then 7 games in March, to then only 3 games in April. They go without playing anyone for 10 days in early April with another 8 days off after their game with Penn State on the 11th.
I think it may have to do with her late arrival as coach and the ability to schedule games, meaning this may have been all that basically available to her?
Or you could look at those first 3 Feb. games as warm ups to real competition.
That's a good way to look at it, Doc. I just don't understand the spacing between games. Odd schedule indeed.
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

Lax247 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:16 am SB at Syracuse
MD at UNC
Northwestern v ND
Northwestern v Syracuse
Also Florida plays Stony Brook
and Maryland
So several exciting games early on!
Those are a bevy of great matchups. Let's hope they're all televised...
wlaxnut

Post by wlaxnut »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 6:15 pm
wlaxnut wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:05 am
In no particular order...UNC, Maryland, Syracuse, Northwestern, Notre Dame. For an upset...I predict Northwetern will end Maryland’s long home winning streak this year.
I like the prediction. I agree on the teams--any one of them has the talent to win it all--I just don't know if more than the Big Two will be able to get the mojo going when they really need it come Memorial day.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Lax247 wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 11:18 am I honestly think
Maryland
UNC
NU
ND
Syracuse

It will also come down to seeding and momentum at the end of the season and playoffs
My head agrees with you, mostly....I am not sold on NU or SU, yet, but a solid top 5.
My heart is holding out for a different team 🐶 ;)
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:16 am
Maryland
UNC
NU
ND
Syracuse

My head agrees with you, mostly....I am not sold on NU or SU, yet, but a solid top 5.
If you are looking at a Top 5 it has to include SU and NU. SU is dangerous by virtue of the way they are changing the women’s game. They play a men’s style that emphasizes motion offense, two man game and they have been taught how to shoot off and around defenders without a dangerous shot. They are also incredibly physical on defense, taking advantage of the rules that permit fouling up the field and free motion to kill fast breaks and disrupt clears. They also cross check more than any team in the sport, physically wearing down top players on opposing teams. The difference now is they have athletes to compete with every other program. I’d put them 2 or 3 behind UNC. One Achilles heal is their insistence to stick with the backer zone, even when it breaks down against good passing teams.

As far as NU, very similar to SU in that they have brought a men’s style, particularly box concepts to the women’s game. Lots of off ball cutting, lots of two man picks and rolls, etc. The loss of Lasota and how it affects Scane/McCone/Gilbert as well as how fast this years recruiting class grows up will determine their fate. They could be the favs in the BIG10 this year depending on Md injuries/progression of Md youngsters. This is the most vulnerable Md team in years coming into the season.

Outside of your Top 5 listed above, I would give BC a chance if North integrates well, Princeton if the loss of George isn’t as big as I think it will be, UVA if they can adjust to the losses of two of three top scorers and Penn if they can get a few young kids to help Rosensweig and Co.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LaxGuy17 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:12 am
Maryland
UNC
NU
ND
Syracuse

If you are looking at a Top 5 it has to include SU and NU. SU is dangerous by virtue of the way they are changing the women’s game. They play a men’s style that emphasizes motion offense, two man game and they have been taught how to shoot off and around defenders without a dangerous shot. They are also incredibly physical on defense, taking advantage of the rules that permit fouling up the field and free motion to kill fast breaks and disrupt clears. They also cross check more than any team in the sport, physically wearing down top players on opposing teams. The difference now is they have athletes to compete with every other program. I’d put them 2 or 3 behind UNC. One Achilles heal is their insistence to stick with the backer zone, even when it breaks down against good passing teams.

As far as NU, very similar to SU in that they have brought a men’s style, particularly box concepts to the women’s game. Lots of off ball cutting, lots of two man picks and rolls, etc. The loss of Lasota and how it affects Scane/McCone/Gilbert as well as how fast this years recruiting class grows up will determine their fate. They could be the favs in the BIG10 this year depending on Md injuries/progression of Md youngsters. This is the most vulnerable Md team in years coming into the season.

Outside of your Top 5 listed above, I would give BC a chance if North integrates well, Princeton if the loss of George isn’t as big as I think it will be, UVA if they can adjust to the losses of two of three top scorers and Penn if they can get a few young kids to help Rosensweig and Co.
I am glad that we can kind of disagree....I stand by my comment...Not saying anything you wrote above is inaccurate, just that for me, I will have to see both SU and NU play to be convinced that they are in the top 5. Just my opinion.

BTW, the cross check isnt a positive aspect of the Orange's game, IMO.
LaxGuy17

Post by LaxGuy17 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:34 am
LaxGuy17 wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:12 am
Maryland
UNC
NU
ND
Syracuse

I am glad that we can kind of disagree....I stand by my comment...Not saying anything you wrote above is inaccurate, just that for me, I will have to see both SU and NU play to be convinced that they are in the top 5. Just my opinion.

BTW, the cross check isnt a positive aspect of the Orange's game, IMO.
On your last comment, two aspects of Syracuse play trouble me for the Women’s game...1) the crosschecks you mention (effective and need to be called by refs) and 2) their slowing the transition game of every team by fouling twice on every clear (three fouls results in actual consequences under the rules). BTW most of the fouls seem like hard fouls by design.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”