Ivy League

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Ivy League 2020

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:50 am From 2016 - 2019, Brown outscored Dartmouth 56-14. (Not a typo.) Last year in Hanover, Dartmouth improved to a four-goal deficit, losing 11-7. Brown's next 10 games leading into the Dartmouth match-up feature 7 opponents currently ranked in the top 15. The other three games are not cupcakes -- Harvard, Holy Cross and Bryant. Will Brown be amped up for a W that lands them in the Ivy tournament or demoralized from running this gauntlet when Dartmouth comes to sunny Providence? (This is a gut check season for the Brown coaching staff, BTW, as they are now 25-26 since taking over in 2017.) I think the scenario for Dartmouth to get a win in any Ivy game has to include Hincks standing on his head (whatever that means) and making 18+ saves. Probably a 9-7 win or something of that ilk.

If Big Green fans are road-tripping to Providence, you will enjoy checking out one of the nicest new facilities in college lacrosse. No more miles of chain link fence, rickety stands and Porta Potties.
https://www.brown.edu/facilities/projec ... and-soccer
:D It sure was an ugly beast before...
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

QuakerSouth wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:11 pm Surely I am not the only one to notice this in the Ivy schedules, but here are consecutive games for some teams:

Penn: Princeton, Cornell, Yale
Yale: Cornell, Princeton, Penn
Cornell: Penn State, Yale, Penn
Brown: Princeton, Penn, Yale, Cornell
Harvard: Cornell, Penn, Princeton, Yale

Thats a headache just seeing it in print. A modern day lacrosse Murderers' Row. These teams will be battle-tested come tourney time. Just hope they don't beat the stuffing out of each other and avoid injuries.
Given recent results, I think all of these teams would be thrilled to win 2 of these games on their schedules.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

There have probably been 4-2 teams left out of the ILT in the past, but it's a pretty sure ticket in. If Dart's trend up continues, tiebreaks may become every year things for more than just seeding.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

bearlaxfan wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:11 am There have probably been 4-2 teams left out of the ILT in the past, but it's a pretty sure ticket in. If Dart's trend up continues, tiebreaks may become every year things for more than just seeding.
I don’t believe there has been a 4-2 team left out. Usually 3-3 is good enough. In one year, 2-4 would have been fine with tie breakers. I believe Princeton was the first team to go 3-3 and not make the tournament.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

bearlaxfan wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:11 am There have probably been 4-2 teams left out of the ILT in the past, but it's a pretty sure ticket in. If Dart's trend up continues, tiebreaks may become every year things for more than just seeding.
Is it not mathematically impossible for a 4-2 team in a 7-team conference to be left out of the tournament?

C'mon, ya'll are Ivy Leaguers...someone do the math for this party-school graduate.

To answer my own dumb questions: Yes, five 4-2 teams, a 1-5 team, and an 0-6 team is possible. Wouldn't that be interesting?

Personally, I don't think Brown is there yet, so I don't see that scenario this year. Give it a year or two, though, and we'll see...
Last edited by ICGrad on Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

2015 Penn 3-3 left out
2017 Cornell 3-3 left out
2018 Princeton 3-3 left out

In 5 years of ILT, 3-3 teams were in
In 3 years of ILT, three 3-3 teams were left out (above)
In 2 years of ILT, there were no 3-3 teams
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

QuakerSouth wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:18 am 2015 Penn 3-3 left out
2017 Cornell 3-3 left out
2018 Princeton 3-3 left out

In 5 years of ILT, 3-3 teams were in
In 3 years of ILT, three 3-3 teams were left out (above)
In 2 years of ILT, there were no 3-3 teams
Thanks. That’s good information. Has there ever been a 2-4 team in?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

No.

ILT began with the 2010 season

https://ivyleague.com/documents/2020/2/ ... d_Book.pdf

If Brown would have lost to Harvard last year, there would have been a 3-way tie at 2-4 for the 4th seed between Brown, Princeton, and Harvard.

If Brown would have lost to Dartmouth last year, there would have been a 2-way tie at 2-4 for the 4th seed between Brown and Princeton.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Another great slate of games coming up starting with Villanova visiting Penn tomorrow (Fri.) night.

Saturday has Princeton hosting Rutgers, Dartmouth visiting Vermont, Harvard with a home game against Fairfield, and Yale facing Michigan in Costa Mesa, California

Sunday features Brown hosting Virginia, Penn playing at St. Joeseph's, and Cornell facing off against Penn State in Charlotte, N.C.

Good luck and health to all. Play well !
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

calourie wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:09 pm Another great slate of games coming up starting with Villanova visiting Penn tomorrow (Fri.) night.

Saturday has Princeton hosting Rutgers, Dartmouth visiting Vermont, Harvard with a home game against Fairfield, and Yale facing Michigan in Costa Mesa, California

Sunday features Brown hosting Virginia, Penn playing at St. Joseph's, and Cornell facing off against Penn State in Charlotte, N.C.

Good luck and health to all. Play well !
Here's hoping that you make it to see Yale v Michigan in person, calourie. In 2018, Michigan were up 8-6 at halftime in New Haven, while last year's Michigan game in Atlanta was far more comfortable for the Bulldogs.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Some interesting games this week before they start inter-league play.

Here we go.

UPenn 21 over Nova 10 (Gallagher at home, Penn comes back heavy!)
Princeton 20 over Rutgers 9 (Tigers stay undefeated)
Dartmouth 12 over Vermont 11 (This will be a serious test for the Big Green... GBG!)
Harvard 16 over Fairfield 14 (Fairfield is putting together a nice season, but hoping Harvard has an answer for them)
Yale 21 over Michigan 12 (Yale should be motivated to get back on track)
UVA 19 over Brown 12 (Wanted to predict an Ivy weekend sweep, but unfortunately think UVA will be too much for the Bears)
UPenn 18 over St. Josephs 8 (Both teams play Friday, so should be an equal playing field)
Cornell 20 over Penn State 19 (Come on Big Red!)

How about it CO?
Bluecollar

Post by Bluecollar »

Hey, Penn Partisan here, but no one should take Nova lightly (#14 team in polls) and St Joe's has a legit top 10 FOGO and are 4-1. Two very tough games on Philly. Quakes need these!
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Bluecollar wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:06 pm Hey, Penn Partisan here, but no one should take Nova lightly (#14 team in polls) and St Joe's has a legit top 10 FOGO and are 4-1. Two very tough games on Philly. Quakes need these!
I agree. 21-10 Penn v. Nova would really surprise me. Though I guess it's not far off of the beatdown they took from PSU, so who knows?
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

I hear you. Just my biased Ivy League predictions! :D

And please don't ever take any of my score predictions as an insult to the other team. Much respect for Nova (and St. Joseph's), some really solid wins. The way this whole season has been going, you never know who's going to show up. UMass beating Yale, AF beating Duke, as stated before, "any given Saturday".

Good luck to all the teams and players. Look forward to watching Penn tonight.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

Bluecollar wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:06 pm Hey, Penn Partisan here, but no one should take Nova lightly (#14 team in polls) and St Joe's has a legit top 10 FOGO and are 4-1. Two very tough games on Philly. Quakes need these!
Truer words were never spoken.

Much respect for the Main Liners. Both are very talented teams. I think the local competition is good for all the schools. Brings recognition. Keeps local talent local.

Philly college lax has come a long way. Drexel has fallen off a bit, but they'll be back.

Big 5 Lax???
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Is it the weather or camera angle? But field looks poorly lit for UP v Nova
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

bearlaxfan wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:49 pm Is it the weather or camera angle? But field looks poorly lit for UP v Nova
I was coming here to ask the same thing. The sidelines look fairly well-lit, but the center of the field looks like they're playing in darkness.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

Camera work was terrible too. Felt like I was watching a half field coaches film. Really hard to see the ball.

Great game. Nova is tough. Penn just warming up for Ivy league play.
Lux et veritas
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Penn's depth is an issue and that was before Handley got hurt and Bartolo got sick. They just wear down as the game goes on. Their top 12 players, though, are really, really good.
QuakerSouth

Post by QuakerSouth »

So Bartolo is sick? Didn't know what his deal was.

Depth. Yes. Scoring needs to be better distributed. Can't win having one guy carry the pail every game. You need lots of guys scoring 1 or 2.

Penn has its work cut out for it. That being said, they were exactly 1-4 at this point last season...think about that. Lots of games left. Not a lot of easy ones. We need to grab a win on Sunday. SJU will bring it. Quakes need to focus.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”