Yale v UVa - should VA bother showing up?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Yale v UVa - should VA bother showing up?

Post by 10stone5 »

10stone5 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 4:39 pm Great weekend for Phila, SE PA lacrosse.
32,000 for the semis, which is a good crowd.

6 SE PA players win a national title for the Cavs.
Cabrini wins the 1st Division III national title for a Pennsylvania school :!: :!:
Just under 32,000 for the finals :!: :!:
Good weekend of lacrosse in Phila PA.
Except Quakers didn’t make final four.
Maybe next year.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

thetruth wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:31 pm A big part of UVA’s success this year was due to the fact that they had great senior leadership and the players took ownership of the season after some early struggles. That senior leadership is exactly what Yale had last year. Penn had it this year too.
almost every team at the HS and college level only go as far as their seniors will take them, UVA played hard from top to bottom
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

#11 D Man player of the game... Morrill was iced
Blackdoglax

Post by Blackdoglax »

What I do not understand is why Shay did not use Neumann more to save TD if as a Yale poster indicates Neumann was nearly as good as TD?

The announcers said TD took 38 draws on Saturday.....if true, that is crazy.
HoosBaby

Post by HoosBaby »

Why save TD, all he did was dominate. Yale didn't have anyone other then him, though. The rest of the lineup was a mismatch that was obvious athletically, physically, and depth-wise. TD is deserving of all of his awards, and darn near won a national championship from the x all by himself. Under those circumstances, subbing for him gets you what?
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

thetruth wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:31 pm A big part of UVA’s success this year was due to the fact that they had great senior leadership and the players took ownership of the season after some early struggles. That senior leadership is exactly what Yale had last year. Penn had it this year too.
Ryan Conrad...and it is STUNNING that he was not selected as a finalist for the Tewey. I cannot think of a more deserving finalist - not that he should win it, but my God - not to have him as a finalist? #insanity
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

just like Zach Currier not being a 1st team AA. Those guys never get the credit they deserve.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Yale won the faceoff battle 18-6 and Virginia still won gbs 48-46. That’s astonishing. :shock: :o

Plus, 15 caused turnovers by Virginia. Virginia lumber was all over the Yale team and the Elis were constantly harassed all over the field.

Just two different levels of energy out there today.

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
rasheed

Post by rasheed »

DaneFan wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:32 pm just like Zach Currier not being a 1st team AA. Those guys never get the credit they deserve.
Zach was totally robbed - plus he's a great guy
DMac

Post by DMac »

HoosBaby wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:10 pm Why save TD, all he did was dominate. Yale didn't have anyone other then him, though. The rest of the lineup was a mismatch that was obvious athletically, physically, and depth-wise. TD is deserving of all of his awards, and darn near won a national championship from the x all by himself. Under those circumstances, subbing for him gets you what?
I think it's fairly safe to say that TD is pretty much unanimously recognized as the best FOGO in the land, he leaves one shaking their head and wondering how he can be so much better than virtually everyone else. Don't think anyone would disagree with you in saying he is desrving of all his awards.
When do you sub for him? When the score is 10-1? 20-1? Up 6 with 3 min to go? What would happen if you put another FOGO out there and you gave up a couple of goals? TD's still there to save the day.

"All he did was dominate" I thought the TD that played today didn't run as easily, or with the speed, as the TD I've seen play in other games. He got dominated a couple of times as well, UVa's FOGO shows up in the scoring column a couple of times. UVa was making his life a little miserable on several of those GB battles too. Dominating sounds strong to me, on other days, probably not.

Subbing for him when it's fairly safe to do so might be the difference between darn near and did.
FOGOs take a beating, I think it's much wiser to use a couple of other FOGOs and save some wear
tear on my premier FOGO.
molo

Post by molo »

From this Yale and Princeton reject who somehow managed to scrape through UVA, I just got back from what was supposed to be a coronation of the team that vanquished the supposedly greatest team of the century in the view of some, I would sum this game up this way: ACC vs. Ivy. The better athletes won today.
molo

Post by molo »

What did Tevlin do to Shay? He was repeatedly left on an island against Aitken, a strategy that evoked memories of the UMass attempt to short Kyle Harrison. At least UMass slid to him with a pole. Then again, maybe given the athleticism of Yale’s poles, maybe it didn’t matter.
molo

Post by molo »

On the topic of hotbeds versus new areas: the MOP was from the same hotbed school that has sent it’s fair share of stars to UVA. The only defenseman to make the all tournament team was a freshman from Texas who blanketed a hotbed guy whose legacy was the subject of much commentary here and elsewhere.
HoosBaby

Post by HoosBaby »

On the issue of TD, I don't know what Yale fans want more than 75% success rate in the biggest game of the year. That's a superstar performance, but it's rare for a superstar to win a national championship by himself.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:53 pm #11 D Man player of the game... Morrill was iced
Saustad. Texas kid. And a freshman.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
random observer

Post by random observer »

DMac wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:00 pm
HoosBaby wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 7:10 pm Why save TD, all he did was dominate. Yale didn't have anyone other then him, though. The rest of the lineup was a mismatch that was obvious athletically, physically, and depth-wise. TD is deserving of all of his awards, and darn near won a national championship from the x all by himself. Under those circumstances, subbing for him gets you what?
I think it's fairly safe to say that TD is pretty much unanimously recognized as the best FOGO in the land, he leaves one shaking their head and wondering how he can be so much better than virtually everyone else. Don't think anyone would disagree with you in saying he is desrving of all his awards.
When do you sub for him? When the score is 10-1? 20-1? Up 6 with 3 min to go? What would happen if you put another FOGO out there and you gave up a couple of goals? TD's still there to save the day.

"All he did was dominate" I thought the TD that played today didn't run as easily, or with the speed, as the TD I've seen play in other games. He got dominated a couple of times as well, UVa's FOGO shows up in the scoring column a couple of times. UVa was making his life a little miserable on several of those GB battles too. Dominating sounds strong to me, on other days, probably not.

Subbing for him when it's fairly safe to do so might be the difference between darn near and did.
FOGOs take a beating, I think it's much wiser to use a couple of other FOGOs and save some wear
tear on my premier FOGO.
Statistically TD was better today than he was on Saturday. He won a higher percentage of his faceoffs, and yes LaSalla scored twice, but Arceri had a hat-trick on Saturday. Going 75% against an elite FOGO unit with superior wing play is pretty dominant. It may not be up to the incredible standard TD has set, but there's no universe where TD did not dominate today. It just didn't seem like it because:

a. Yale didn't do anything with the possessions he gave them. The offense was so bad and so quick to throw the ball away that it made you forget that they had won the face-off in the first place.

b. UVA kept it fairly close in the first half whilst they built their lead (4/10). TD won all but two in the second half, but it didn't feel like an onslaught because Yale was never in danger of pulling close until about halfway through the fourth quarter.
molo

Post by molo »

Did the announcers comment on Lars’ stick skills? During pregame warmups he was wielding a wooden longstick, holding it left before switching hands to park one in the upper left corner right handed. I tried to get a picture of the the pole, but he had stowed it on the bench before I could get my phone out. I wonder if the Native sticks played into the pregame speech.
molo

Post by molo »

Did the announcers comment on Lars’ stick skills? During pregame warmups he was wielding a wooden longstick, holding it left before switching hands to park one in the upper left corner right handed. I tried to get a picture of the the pole, but he had stowed it on the bench before I could get my phone out. I wonder if the Native sticks played into the pregame speech.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

The story of Lars' native longstick was covered extensively on both Saturday and Monday.
45wewantmore

Post by 45wewantmore »

This was a fantastic game to watch for so many reasons
1) The officials: allowed a physical aggressive contest with some excellent 1-on-1 match ups as well as some "hammer" slides/doubles. They missed a few calls Laviano tackling a Yale pole near halfway on a clear but overall they allowed the athletes to determine the outcome.

2) Goalkeeping and team defense: after the goal bonanza of the shot clock era 20-19, 21-17, it was good to see some balance restored to O vs D.

3) Face-offs: a truly extraordinary performance by TD Ierlan matched up against a freshman running back and a First Team All-American on each wing for UVA, Conrad & Connors were relentless but even so TD dominated and did everything he could to get Yale the win.

4) Individual Defense: Yale crushed Penn State on Saturday winning every match up, with Power and speed, "not your father's Ivy Team" 10-2 after Q1 in the SF. They punched PSU in the mouth, UVA punched Yale in the mouth in the Final in a complete role reversal. The Bully got Bullied, "Live by the Sword die by the Sword" take your pick. Yale simply couldn't win a Match Up in 1st half 2 goals in 30 minutes. Wow!

5) The under dog upsetting the defending National Champion (with the caveat SF2 winner > SF1 Winner again) . UVA Cardiac Kids / Team of Destiny were dreadful vs Duke in 1st half, #2 was a turnover machine and went 3/11 shooting... not goals 3/11 SOG. There would be a Stewards Enquiry in a horse race BUT Survive & Advance was never more true. The redemption story, "Little Engine that Could" Yale would have got away with if it wasn't for those pesky kids. With TD on the sideline this game wasn't safe until last minute.

I hope #44 Yale is OK, MVP 2018 put on his butt 2019

I read some nonsense about Yale lost it rather than UVA won which has a tinge of sour grapes to it

Yale deserved to be strong favorites there is a shopping list of things that had to go right for UVA to get the win. It just so happened all them them were in stock

no skin in the game in this one but it was good advert for the game

The only disappointing part of the day was the NCAA 2019 season is over

The Press conference with UVA and on field interviews on LSN were exceptional
- Lars giving praise to Dom as a mentor and how and why he got into coaching
- talking about trust between player/coaches and managing change
- emotion, love and respect for each other and the game
- every player was humble and happy to praise their team mates, opponents, coaches, senior leaders.

you may say easy to do after a win but they came across as solid citizens

congrats UVA & Yale

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”