Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
LaxDadMax

Re: Recruiting

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:19 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:16 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:26 pm
I will say there is a very good chance that every class going forward will be better than the previous. The way girls lax is growing, I think that would make sense.
As the parent of a 27, I can say pretty confidently that the 2027 class won't be better than 25s or 26s. Having see most if not all of the top 20 club teams, I can confidently say with maybe two exceptions every club team is well behind where their 25s were 2 years prior. Some great players to be sure, however, there are some girls on top 10 teams who would have been lucky to make a B team on their club a couple years prior.
Interesting.
Our club director has a theory on this. She thinks developmentally the 27s and 28s were actually the 2 classes impacted most by Covid.

The worst Covid spring/ summer/fall was during their 5th and 4th grade years, when many girls played club for the first time. With most rec leagues cancelled, lots of girls "forgot about the sport" for a while.

As a result, many girls either didn't do club, switched to another sports (mainly soccer which restarted a bit earlier) or didn't try out for club until later which held back development.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Deacon022 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:10 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:59 pm
Laxfan212 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:41 pm I absolutely know where you’re coming from. I think some of this can also have to do with the style of player they’re looking for, or maybe personality for, club, region. I have a kid who was really interested in a specific Ivy that at the time was in the 70-80’s rank range. She wasn’t interested for the lacrosse team specifically but she loved a lot of other aspects of the school. She did all she could to catch their attention, and had the grades and scores to go with it. She ended up committing to a top 4 program. Still don’t know why they weren’t interested. The club coach tried as well. I will say at the time the school had maybe 1 girl ever commit there from her state, and never her club. So maybe that’s part of it. The other aspect is player type or style of play. I’ve seen schools that have a type - small fast girls, tall girls, etc. If your kid fits the mold of one school doesn’t mean they’ll fit the mold of another, even if the second school is a better team, record wise.
Exactly what I was describing and wondering. I’m sure it can be any of those. Thank you for the response.
My daughter wanted to go to Coastal. It was in her top three. She’s been there twice 2021 and Fall 2022, her brother goes there and she loves the beach being 20 minutes away. They didn’t contact her on September 1, which was shocking. We thought it was a shoe in. Her club coach reached out and nothing. If they did and offer she would have definitely gone there. She got offers from a team in the teens, a team in the 20s and low 30s. No idea why they passed but they did. Was chalking it up to the Assoc Head Coach left and my daughter didn’t go down there in the summer.
It happens and I’m sorry your daughter didn’t land at Coastal like she wanted. It could be as simple as the coach leaving, or they scratched her off any number of reasons. I wonder if she just fell off the radar or if the person(s) taking over the recruiting decisions is looking for something else?

I did take a quick look and it appears they picked up 3 mids, 3 defenders, and a goalie. I watched a few highlights and they all look pretty fast. Maybe the primary driver was speed and athleticism?

Definitely not saying your daughter doesn’t have both, but sometimes coaches get caught up looking for specific things and then miss on some important factors that could help.

My daughter was passed on by a top 6 team early on and offered someone else, but one better ranked wanted to move forward but she passed on that for a school that she liked the coaching staff and players a lot more.

You just never know how this ride will end, but it is always wild.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:14 pm
I will say there is a very good chance that every class going forward will be better than the previous. The way girls lax is growing, I think that would make sense.
As the parent of a 27, I can say pretty confidently that the 2027 class won't be better than 25s or 26s. Having see most if not all of the top 20 club teams, I can confidently say with maybe two exceptions every club team is well behind where their 25s were 2 years prior. Some great players to be sure, however, there are some girls on top 10 teams who would have been lucky to make a B team on their club a couple years prior.
Interesting.
Our club director has a theory on this. She thinks developmentally the 27s and 28s were actually the 2 classes impacted most by Covid.

The worst Covid spring/ summer/fall was during their 5th and 4th grade years, when many girls played club for the first time. With most rec leagues cancelled, lots of girls "forgot about the sport" for a while.

As a result, many girls either didn't do club, switched to another sports (mainly soccer which restarted a bit earlier) or didn't try out for club until later which held back development.
So much variation from club to club and region to region. I’ve been following football recruiting for years and I can confidently say all this speculation is a waste of time, as you won’t see anything until the are in college and most likely not until their last few years.

I can say for my club’s team our 2024’s could and did routinely beat our 2023 team in practices. Our 2024 team is all D1 commits except two players (D2 and a D3), while our 2025’s are lagging behind in the process, even though they’ve had a lot of interest.

I guess it varies a lot more depending on teams and regions and I’m not buying the talk of 2025’s being better, etc. However, YMMV.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

MolonLaxe wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:43 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:14 pm
Interesting.

So much variation from club to club and region to region. I’ve been following football recruiting for years and I can confidently say all this speculation is a waste of time, as you won’t see anything until the are in college and most likely not until their last few years.

I can say for my club’s team our 2024’s could and did routinely beat our 2023 team in practices. Our 2024 team is all D1 commits except two players (D2 and a D3), while our 2025’s are lagging behind in the process, even though they’ve had a lot of interest.

I guess it varies a lot more depending on teams and regions and I’m not buying the talk of 2025’s being better, etc. However, YMMV.
Fair point; that's why sports are fun.

I would argue, though, across all sports that female athletes tend to be a little easier to project in college since they are usually more physically developed when they committ/ start college
DMac

Post by DMac »

Have to pretty much agree here, makes for great off-season chatter by anonymous posters on a lacrosse thread though, no?
Some of this stuff is way over the top, would actually make you want to keep your daughter a million miles away from this money grab. It's amazing what kind of impact girls who haven't played their junior year of HS lacrosse yet are going to have on National Championship caliber D1 teams (some of these girls haven't even experienced their first break up yet....lot of teen girl drama between now and then).
This is a new one on me, what's YMMV?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:53 am
Have to pretty much agree here, makes for great off-season chatter by anonymous posters on a lacrosse thread though, no?
Some of this stuff is way over the top, would actually make you want to keep your daughter a million miles away from this money grab. It's amazing what kind of impact girls who haven't played their junior year of HS lacrosse yet are going to have on National Championship caliber D1 teams (some of these girls haven't even experienced their first break up yet....lot of teen girl drama between now and then).
This is a new one on me, what's YMMV?
I agree as well. And I’m guessing it’s “your mileage may vary”
Last edited by wlaxphan20 on Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:15 pm
VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:04 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:07 pm Just had a conversation with a few parents regarding this crazy recruiting year. Most of us have been through this twice. All of us have stories that sound the same. No one can figure out how and what these coaches are looking at. When your daughter doesn’t get contacted by teams ranked in the 50s and 80s RPI, that she has emailed religiously, but get contacted and committed by teams in the top 25, you just gotta scratch your head. What the heck are those teams in the 50s and 80s looking at?
If players are religiously reaching out to schools ranked 50-80 (which is some average to below average lacrosse in D1) and end up at a top 25 you have to wonder 1) who provided them with such poor recruiting advice and 2) is the coach offering really stretching. The game is played at a different speed at the top programs, so players will get exposed real quick. The head scratcher is why was there such a big disconnect? Let’s hope it works out but what you described does not sound like a good situation.
I’m thinking you totally misunderstood my point with the post. These kids, on a top team were all contacted by multiple top 25 teams. Not just one. And offered from them and committed to them. Some with great offers. Yet certain teams that they were interested, that were as you put below average lax didn’t contact them on Sept 1 or after when they reached out to them again expressing interest. How does the #6 team in the country commit a kid yet the #76 team doesn’t even contact them. And nothing wrong with a kid liking a school that is not great lax. Maybe they want to go to Bucknell or ASU or Coastal.
Since you mentioned ASU, my daughter's been watching one of the ASU players youtube's lately. That school seems to be producing what I think is an ideal Wlax experience. The girls are all having so much fun, they can still have real major's while being fairly competitive in Lax. Looks ideal really, no serious pressure to win but all the support to do so. Huge beautiful campus, not too cutthroat like I imagine a UNC to be like. Downsides would be maybe the academics but no worse than some of the other large D1 schools.
DMac

Post by DMac »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:23 am And I’m guessing it’s “your mileage may vary”
Makes sense, thanks.
Bdgr

Post by Bdgr »

WLaxdad wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:33 am
Relax77 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:07 pm Just had a conversation with a few parents regarding this crazy recruiting year. Most of us have been through this twice. All of us have stories that sound the same. No one can figure out how and what these coaches are looking at. When your daughter doesn’t get contacted by teams ranked in the 50s and 80s RPI, that she has emailed religiously, but get contacted and committed by teams in the top 25, you just gotta scratch your head. What the heck are those teams in the 50s and 80s looking at?
If players are religiously reaching out to schools ranked 50-80 (which is some average to below average lacrosse in D1) and end up at a top 25 you have to wonder 1) who provided them with such poor recruiting advice and 2) is the coach offering really stretching. The game is played at a different speed at the top programs, so players will get exposed real quick. The head scratcher is why was there such a big disconnect? Let’s hope it works out but what you described does not sound like a good situation.
I’m thinking you totally misunderstood my point with the post. These kids, on a top team were all contacted by multiple top 25 teams. Not just one. And offered from them and committed to them. Some with great offers. Yet certain teams that they were interested, that were as you put below average lax didn’t contact them on Sept 1 or after when they reached out to them again expressing interest. How does the #6 team in the country commit a kid yet the #76 team doesn’t even contact them. And nothing wrong with a kid liking a school that is not great lax. Maybe they want to go to Bucknell or ASU or Coastal.
Since you mentioned ASU, my daughter's been watching one of the ASU players youtube's lately. That school seems to be producing what I think is an ideal Wlax experience. The girls are all having so much fun, they can still have real major's while being fairly competitive in Lax. Looks ideal really, no serious pressure to win but all the support to do so. Huge beautiful campus, not too cutthroat like I imagine a UNC to be like. Downsides would be maybe the academics but no worse than some of the other large D1 schools.
That’s awesome that the girls are enjoying their experience and that lacrosse is getting wider around the country! I also love the more visibility to the work hard/play hard mentality on some of the posts recently

And Please take no offense to it but all that went through my head when I read your post was this random clip I saw about Arizona state. Thought everyone could use the laugh 😆

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Xm1qYEWsk2M
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

That’s awesome. Although, as you can see here, some people have the belief on this forum of why would you want to go to a school you really love when a better lacrosse team is looking at you? 🙄
Last edited by Relax77 on Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Gaspar twins youtube page by chance?
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:14 pm
That’s awesome. Although, as you can see here, some people have the belief on this forum of why would you want to go to a school you really love when a better lacrosse team is looking at you? 🙄
Relax77, you really do need to relax. And you should not suggest things that directly contradict previous posts by others. No one has specifically referenced ASU or suggested kids should not attend a school they love.

To the contrary and direct quotes:

“… liking the school they commit to is most important.”

“All that matters is what works for each individual.”

ASU offered my daughter. I am very familiar with the school and program. My family has many friends and former club families that do or will be playing for ASU. They are great players and will elevate that program to another level. I watch their games and root these players on. And I will continue to do so and will be interested in seeing what conference they play in moving forward.
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

MolonLaxe wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:13 pm
Yup, not a lot of videos (or views) but my daughter was loving the bus trip's. They're just having fun and after a loss there isn't devastation. Of course I don't want her getting the idea she could go across the country to school.....
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

WLaxdad wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:14 pm
Yup, not a lot of videos (or views) but my daughter was loving the bus trip's. They're just having fun and after a loss there isn't devastation. Of course I don't want her getting the idea she could go across the country to school.....

Ha ha. One parent on my daughters team said I should be thankful they didn’t contact her. Someone told them once they go out there, They never come back. It’s that beautiful.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

Think that Facebook lax numbers guy quit again. Must’ve got upset again. It’s a shame. He was better than laxnumbers. They’ve been off a big number
LaxNJ71

Post by LaxNJ71 »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:45 pm Think that Facebook lax numbers guy quit again. Must’ve got upset again. It’s a shame. He was better than laxnumbers. They’ve been off a big number
If he doesn’t want to do it anymore, that makes sense - seems like it would take a lot of time and I don’t blame him. If he’s quitting because he’s mad at someone else gathering similar (publicly available) data, come on. Grow up.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxNJ71 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:43 pm
LaxGnome22 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 7:45 pm Think that Facebook lax numbers guy quit again. Must’ve got upset again. It’s a shame. He was better than laxnumbers. They’ve been off a big number
If he doesn’t want to do it anymore, that makes sense - seems like it would take a lot of time and I don’t blame him. If he’s quitting because he’s mad at someone else gathering similar (publicly available) data, come on. Grow up.
He’s back tonight. But I agree. I felt he overreacted when the woman posted his info on another site and posted it clearly to help people, not gain anything from it. But I’m not the one compiling all the stuff which is probably a giant pain in the ass.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Relax77 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:21 pm

Ha ha. One parent on my daughters team said I should be thankful they didn’t contact her. Someone told them once they go out there, They never come back. It’s that beautiful.
I love seeing teams post a bit more insight into what players do during trips, how they train, downtime, etc. Some schools put a lot of time into this and some? Not so much.

The ASU videos by the Gaspar Twins have been solid, but they don't have a ton of time so they can be few and far between. It is a beautiful area, but man, it gets hot.

This leads me to wonder, what other teams do a great job with their "marketing" and video production to provide insight for players looking for a new home? I have a few in mind, but I would like to hear what others think.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

MolonLaxe wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:57 pm
Relax77 wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:21 pm

I love seeing teams post a bit more insight into what players do during trips, how they train, downtime, etc. Some schools put a lot of time into this and some? Not so much.

The ASU videos by the Gaspar Twins have been solid, but they don't have a ton of time so they can be few and far between. It is a beautiful area, but man, it gets hot.

This leads me to wonder, what other teams do a great job with their "marketing" and video production to provide insight for players looking for a new home? I have a few in mind, but I would like to hear what others think.
Anyone looking at staying in the AZ area asking about the paucity of groundwater in 10 years or so?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Ara Parseghian on Recruits

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

From The Mike Francesa Podcast:

“The move from High School to College is a dramatic one. Ara Parseghian (former Notre Dame head football coach 1964-1974) used to always tell me: ‘I would bring in 30 recruits a year and it never failed—the guys who were at the bottom of the list, the last couple of scholarships we gave, some of them, fringe guys. Some of them would become my All-America’s. And some of my guys out of high school I would have thought would have been All-America’s never made it. Usually a third would be normal, a third would disappoint, and a third would overachieve. Sometimes the guy I gave the last scholarship to became my best player for the next four years. You don’t know who is going to have the makeup, the maturity, the development to raise their game.’”

(Italics mine)

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”