D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sagittarius A*

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by Sagittarius A* »

What time is the Alumni game tomorrow?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:25 am What time is the Alumni game tomorrow?
5pm

The alumni attack unit includes three active PLL players...if they can win some faceoffs, they might actually have a chance. Just don't let them into the beer cooler too early.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:11 pm
nyjay wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:50 am Honestly, all I really want from the 23 season are some signs of real and definite progress toward being a legit top 10-ish team. And stability. I didn't really see that last year, whether because of injuries (Grimes, Peshko), composition of the team, issues between HC/OC, whatever. It's year 3, we should be able to see PM's plan start developing and be confident that we have a stable foundation.
For 2023, really just need to see a winning record. Making the NCAA tournament would be a plus.

DocBarrister :?
With their schedule, a winning record would almost guarantee a berth in the NCAA, depending on how they did in the conference tourney.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

get it to x wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:52 am
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:11 pm
nyjay wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:50 am Honestly, all I really want from the 23 season are some signs of real and definite progress toward being a legit top 10-ish team. And stability. I didn't really see that last year, whether because of injuries (Grimes, Peshko), composition of the team, issues between HC/OC, whatever. It's year 3, we should be able to see PM's plan start developing and be confident that we have a stable foundation.
For 2023, really just need to see a winning record. Making the NCAA tournament would be a plus.

DocBarrister :?
With their schedule, a winning record would almost guarantee a berth in the NCAA, depending on how they did in the conference tourney.
there are no more almost guaranteed nc$$ selections. outside of a terp-like sherman march.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.instagram.com/jhumenslax/

they posted full schedule and alumni lineups. Whatever the conversation here about PM, Grant jr and Jameson not getting along w/players the last few years most of the big names of the first few years of the PM era are planning to play. Old standbys like Guida sr and Jake Byrne also playing. Only 2 players in alumni uniforms w/championship rings which is very sad though.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:12 am https://www.instagram.com/jhumenslax/

they posted full schedule and alumni lineups. Whatever the conversation here about PM, Grant jr and Jameson not getting along w/players the last few years most of the big names of the first few years of the PM era are planning to play. Old standbys like Guida sr and Jake Byrne also playing. Only 2 players in alumni uniforms w/championship rings which is very sad though.
So either Epstein has Stockholm Syndrome or maybe all the claims of Milliman's "mistreatment" were a tad overblown?
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

primitiveskills wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:15 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:12 am https://www.instagram.com/jhumenslax/

So either Epstein has Stockholm Syndrome or maybe all the claims of Milliman's "mistreatment" were a tad overblown?
Glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read this. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... weep/60299

I don't know recruiting, some of these kids have terp connections, and I knew post Petro we weren't going to get everyone but still jarring to see stories like this.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:13 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... weep/60299

I don't know recruiting, some of these kids have terp connections, and I knew post Petro we weren't going to get everyone but still jarring to see stories like this.
it's 3 guys. maryland is on a ridiculous roll. and i wouldn't be that worried about at least one of them. and they are rated by an ex-volleyball player.

the coaches at any school are going after who they want. as a fan, i'd want them to do that regardless of what state the player came from.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Not that there was a bunch to take away from the alumni game but final was like 22-5 or something along those lines in favor of the current team.

Melendez looked like our best player, I'm unsure if thats a good thing or a horrible development.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:04 pm Not that there was a bunch to take away from the alumni game but final was like 22-5 or something along those lines in favor of the current team.

Melendez looked like our best player, I'm unsure if thats a good thing or a horrible development.
With the enormous caveat that the alumni game in October is just about the worst way to evaluate a roster or a specific player — why would that be a bad development? If he’s going to be better than, say, Degnon or Angelus, then that’s probably a positive development for the offense as a whole.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

It might speak to the potential ceiling of the offensive roster in general is all. While I certainly agree the alumni game isn't really any sort of proper measuring stick and it was like 20 minutes of "game time", we've got months before the season starts, and Melendez is still pretty young and potentially coming into his own. He is perhaps a semi-known quantity being added to the roster and this isn't quite a Chris Gray talent level pickup, at least in theory. He definitely looks to improve the roster so that is definitely 100% a positive thing; the potential concern I would have by looking at him as the comparison point however is how much is the rest of the offensive roster improving over last year? Definitely looking forward to seeing what happens next weekend.

Plenty of upperclassmen also didn't actually play presumably due to being nicked up or sick I imagine, Peshko, McDermott amongst others weren't dressed.

On a different note, does anybody know who #32 is? Do we have a walk-on?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 10:16 am On a different note, does anybody know who #32 is? Do we have a walk-on?
Maher
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

With Malever medical redshirting this year, the Terps are now without their top-five scorers and have to replace all three starting attackmen from their historically great undefeated 2022 campaign, turned to Danny Maltz, Daniel Kelly, and Owen Murphy. Murphy frequently rotated in and out on attack with his powerful shot fueling the Terps’ transition success from the point of fast breaks, but he provided much more in an increased role on Sunday.

“You felt his presence as a guy stepping up and doing more so I thought he did well,” said Tillman.

Murphy displayed an impressive change of direction from behind the net with his quick roll and split dodges and had a couple of nice skip passes over top of the Cornell defense with sticks in the passing lanes. His sidearm/underhand cannons were also as dialed in as it was when he registered 34 goals by the end of May.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... outs/60305
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... sits/60306

IL w/5-6 minutes on their visit to homewood for practice
-refers to "extensive following on message boards"-all 6 of us, and "big media coverage"-edward lee probably spent more time at college park last spring
-calls this team less talented but bigger and more competitive
-some rambling comments on whether this is a top 20 team or top 40 team and a team he thought lacked competitiveness last year
-notes there's nothing new on the roster to replace the level of talent lost in epstein and deso
-goes from 39 in to 45.
-not a very optimistic 6 minutes about the program. At least we have a womans cross country dynasty according to a piece in the Baltimore Sun this week.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:33 am https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... sits/60306

-refers to "extensive following on message boards"-all 6 of us, and "big media coverage"-edward lee probably spent more time at college park last spring
-some rambling comments on whether this is a top 20 team or top 40 team and a team he thought lacked competitiveness last year
-notes there's nothing new on the roster to replace the level of talent lost in epstein and deso
-goes from 39 in to 45.
-not a very optimistic 6 minutes about the program. At least we have a womans cross country dynasty according to a piece in the Baltimore Sun this week.
i'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the 3 starting attackmen are going to average at least or more than 2.5 ppg between them that they lose from 2022.

if not, then yeah, barely breaking double digits in the shot clock era will be tough to keep up with teams.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:33 am https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... sits/60306

-goes from 39 in to 45.
He may not be wrong, but watching a single fall practice is not exactly adequate to make sweeping conclusions about the program. I've noticed he likes to take one or two small observations and turn them into microcosms of big things because it paints a more interesting narrative for readers. But sometimes small things are just small things.

Also think he may be overrating the losses on offense. Between the transfers (counting Maher in this group), freshmen, and growth of some other guys, it's quite possible the offense is more talented overall than last year. Some would say it's likely. Maybe not, but, either way, it's far too early to know.

If what he says is true about a new culture starting to take shape in earnest then that's going to be more valuable than any personnel additions/subtractions, IMO.

Someone who was at the alumni scrimmage described the team to me as looking big and fast — jibes with Foy's observation. We'll see.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

In addition to DeSo and Epstein, the Jays are also losing Keogh; so that's actually almost half their point production from last year.
If you look Terry Foy's way-to-early projections:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... time/60291

the Jays would be underdogs in 12 of 14 games next year.
If I assign a 45% win probability for the 12 games, and 55% win probability for the 2 other games, this projects out to 6.5 wins.
Getting to .500 next season could be a real challenge.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:38 am

-goes from 39 in to 45.
He may not be wrong, but watching a single fall practice is not exactly adequate to make sweeping conclusions about the program. I've noticed he likes to take one or two small observations and turn them into microcosms of big things because it paints a more interesting narrative for readers. But sometimes small things are just small things.

Also think he may be overrating the losses on offense. Between the transfers (counting Maher in this group), freshmen, and growth of some other guys, it's quite possible the offense is more talented overall than last year. Some would say it's likely. Maybe not, but, either way, it's far too early to know.

If what he says is true about a new culture starting to take shape in earnest then that's going to be more valuable than any personnel additions/subtractions, IMO.

Someone who was at the alumni scrimmage described the team to me as looking big and fast — jibes with Foy's observation. We'll see.
Basic summary of the discussion was that Hopkins was not as bad as they were perceived to be last year (21st in RPI) and maybe need to improve “just” a half-dozen spots or so in 2023 to be in legitimate contention for an NCAA tournament berth.

That’s a long way from being a national title contender, but I’ll take it!!!

DocBarrister :D
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:12 pm In addition to DeSo and Epstein, the Jays are also losing Keogh; so that's actually almost half their point production from last year.
If you look Terry Foy's way-to-early projections:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... time/60291

the Jays would be underdogs in 12 of 14 games next year.
If I assign a 45% win probability for the 12 games, and 55% win probability for the 2 other games, this projects out to 6.5 wins.
Getting to .500 next season could be a real challenge.
(I think) The argument for optimism that he and hf16 and maybe 51 are making is that the asset that 2022 has that 2020 and 2021 didn't have is "Time"-that PM and Jameson have now had over the last few years to begin to build their vision. That's about all I'm leaning on for hope right now. We crashed hard, we burned harder, they began to clean out the wreckage and now we're looking up.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”