Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
eastcoastlax

Re: Games Today

Post by eastcoastlax »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:28 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:22 pm I just had a chance to watch UVA vs. Stanford. Some early season stuff (as would be expected) but UVA looks like a different team to me. And they are YOUNG ... 6 freshman saw meaningful minutes on attack and midfield and were aided by 2 sophomore starters on defense and a sophomore GK who made 12 saves, including one to preserve a one-goal lead with .15 left to play. I have no idea what the recruiting pipeline looks like, but LaMonica is looks to be building for the future.
Like I said back in week #2, the Hoos are feeling it. The momentum that comes with a new coach with a fresh perspective and attitude cannot be understated.

While the veterans provided lea dership,folks watching the broadcast heard the commentators talking about the young contributors at UVA. Here is a link to the box score, so everyone can do their own work about the impact of the 1st and 2nd year players on the UVA roster. I'll help you out: Galica, Aliamo, DiNardo, Cruthirds, Bruno, Josephson, DeMark, and Schneider are all 1st or 2nd years.

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=51797
Last edited by eastcoastlax on Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

eastcoastlax wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:09 am
watcherinthewoods wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:22 pm I just had a chance to watch UVA vs. Stanford. Some early season stuff (as would be expected) but UVA looks like a different team to me. And they are YOUNG ... 6 freshman saw meaningful minutes on attack and midfield and were aided by 2 sophomore starters on defense and a sophomore GK who made 12 saves, including one to preserve a one-goal lead with .15 left to play. I have no idea what the recruiting pipeline looks like, but LaMonica is looks to be building for the future.
Like I said back in week #2, the Hoos are feeling it. The momentum that comes with a new coach with a fresh perspective and attitude cannot be understated.

While the veterans provided lea dership,folks watching the broadcast heard the commentators talking about the young contributors at UVA. Here is a link to the box score, so everyone can do their own work about the impact of the 1st and 2nd year players on the UVA roster. I'll help you out: Galica, Aliamo, DiNardo, Cruthirds, Bruno, Josephson, DeMark, and Schneider are all 1st or 2nd years.

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=517979
Such an uninformed and insulting post. "While the veterans provided leadership" , somehow they also managed to chip in 7of the 9 assists ,6 of the 12 goals,8 of the 9 draw controls, 8 of the 14 caused turnovers, 9 of 14 ground balls .
"6 freshman saw meaningful minutes on attack and midfield" Another ill informed stat exactly 3 underclass players crossed the restraining line into the offense . 9 upper class players played in the game 2 senior defenders who never came out of the game, 3 attackers who never came out of the game, the 2 starting middies who honestly were in my opinion were the mvps of that game plus #4.
" and a sophomore GK who made 12 saves, including one to preserve a one-goal lead with .15 left to play. " Did you even watch the game, first off you made up the number of saves and UVA won by 4 so your preserving the lead thing is ridiculous.
I have been a UVA fan for sometime and yes this UVA underclass is good , better than the upperclass players were , time will tell but I dont think so.
My guess is you have a freshman on the team and as I have heard desperate for recognition. The team seems to have a good mix of veteran and newer players no need to make up nonsense. 
Uninformed and insulting? Jeez. You seem a little overwrought at the depiction of a game from a long time poster here, and a pretty deeply informed observer of the game. Watcher's post was altogether laudatory -- to the veterans and newcomers alike. Maybe take the temperature down.
ACClaxfan

Post by ACClaxfan »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:16 am

Such an uninformed and insulting post. "While the veterans provided leadership" , somehow they also managed to chip in 7of the 9 assists ,6 of the 12 goals,8 of the 9 draw controls, 8 of the 14 caused turnovers, 9 of 14 ground balls .
"6 freshman saw meaningful minutes on attack and midfield" Another ill informed stat exactly 3 underclass players crossed the restraining line into the offense . 9 upper class players played in the game 2 senior defenders who never came out of the game, 3 attackers who never came out of the game, the 2 starting middies who honestly were in my opinion were the mvps of that game plus #4.
" and a sophomore GK who made 12 saves, including one to preserve a one-goal lead with .15 left to play. " Did you even watch the game, first off you made up the number of saves and UVA won by 4 so your preserving the lead thing is ridiculous.
I have been a UVA fan for sometime and yes this UVA underclass is good , better than the upperclass players were , time will tell but I dont think so.
My guess is you have a freshman on the team and as I have heard desperate for recognition. The team seems to have a good mix of veteran and newer players no need to make up nonsense. 
Uninformed and insulting? Jeez. You seem a little overwrought at the depiction of a game from a long time poster here, and a pretty deeply informed observer of the game. Watcher's post was altogether laudatory -- to the veterans and newcomers alike. Maybe take the temperature down.
A bit aggressive , yes. I also find it a little annoying when facts get distorted in order to back up a narrative that is debatable . I took the seniors comment as they provided leadership
Which included producing on the field which apparently east coast did not . No need to distort facts , UVA seems like they are improving with a good mix of newcomers and veterans .
forthelaxofit

Post by forthelaxofit »

The original post was in Feb about the Stanford game - where goalie did have 12 saves and including one in final seconds of game. You are talking about the JMU game with your stats.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

Does this mean you have an upperclassmen on the team and desperate for recognition? 🤣
flushlax77

Post by flushlax77 »

The young guns for UVA are absolutely coming on strong, HOWEVER, I would say (and I have said it many times before) that the offense works because of Schwab. She is the prototypical X attacker who can feed, score, and control the offense. She is without a doubt, a first teamer so far this season.

As a new coach going into a program, I can't think of a much better stocked program than what the Lamonica inherited in terms of talent. Senior leadership on the defensive end, two stud seniors in the midfield, and Schwab and the Lehigh transfer on attack. What Lamonica has done is inject some much needed toughness that wasn't on display against Albany last May. Definitely a COY candidate, but this isn't them so much coaching them up as it is unlocking their potential.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

flushlax77 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:06 pm The young guns for UVA are absolutely coming on strong, HOWEVER, I would say (and I have said it many times before) that the offense works because of Schwab. She is the prototypical X attacker who can feed, score, and control the offense. She is without a doubt, a first teamer so far this season.

As a new coach going into a program, I can't think of a much better stocked program than what the Lamonica inherited in terms of talent. Senior leadership on the defensive end, two stud seniors in the midfield, and Schwab and the Lehigh transfer on attack. What Lamonica has done is inject some much needed toughness that wasn't on display against Albany last May. Definitely a COY candidate, but this isn't them so much coaching them up as it is unlocking their potential.
Carnevale had a really good career at Lehigh. That offense misses her tremendously.
eastcoastlax

Post by eastcoastlax »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:59 am

Does this mean you have an upperclassmen on the team and desperate for recognition? 🤣
lol, I wish but not sure they would want him . Admittedly I am a bit sensitive when it comes to players not getting the recognition I think they deserve , I have found the process very political and getting worse than I remember .
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

flushlax77 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:06 pm The young guns for UVA are absolutely coming on strong, HOWEVER, I would say (and I have said it many times before) that the offense works because of Schwab. She is the prototypical X attacker who can feed, score, and control the offense. She is without a doubt, a first teamer so far this season.

Good post. Right on the money.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:20 pm

Good post. Right on the money.
+1 ^^^ ... and I would add that unlocking potential + instilling confidence is the special sauce of coaching.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Great post

I've also heard that team culture/chemistry has dramatically improved. Think there were a couple pieces of "addition by subtraction"
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:03 pm

Great post

I've also heard that team culture/chemistry has dramatically improved. Think there were a couple pieces of "addition by subtraction"
If you have ever met Sonia and Mike - they are a dynamic duo with great energy!
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:50 pm

Great post

Couldn’t agree more.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Great post

Good grief…such rumormongering. Lamonica and company have done a great job coaching up the team and changing the way they play. Good for them.
UVA women’s lax team has been known for great culture for years. More players and parents happy than at most top 15 programs.
“Addition by subtraction” sounds like sour grapes to me….
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:21 pm

Great post

Good grief…such rumormongering. Lamonica and company have done a great job coaching up the team and changing the way they play. Good for them.
UVA women’s lax team has been known for great culture for years. More players and parents happy than at most top 15 programs.
Always gonna be "she said, she said", but I am close friends with three families who are firmly NOT fans of the UVA team mojo over the last decade under the former coach. One mom is a former teammate of mine at WFU (field hockey) so she "gets it". And the root issue was not playing time. These kids were on the field.

Either way, it is great to see the new leadership energy translate into success for UVA. As I said on this forum after watching the Stanford game, the difference from 2023 for the Hoos is evident. The kids appear to be having fun and it shows.
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Great post

This is just not true. The last 5-7 years there have been a lot of grumblings coming out of that program. Curious how you quantify that they were happier than most top 15 programs. Did you do some sort of poll? You also believe JM "retired" so obviously you have some sort of affinity for her and that's fine.
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

hmmm wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:32 am

Great post

This is just not true. The last 5-7 years there have been a lot of grumblings coming out of that program. Curious how you quantify that they were happier than most top 15 programs. Did you do some sort of poll? You also believe JM "retired" so obviously you have some sort of affinity for her and that's fine.
I’ll respond to you and watcher, and I’ll preface my response that I generally agree with and enjoy reading both of your posts. The issues with the uva program have largely been parent expectations of performance and the perception of an undecoaching relative to potential. Which were warranted. But the girls on the team weren’t unhappy being part of the program. If you ask the alumni, rather than their parents, they loved the program and most of them loved the coach.
Parents are another story. Play time, underachievement, dissatisfaction with coaching (exhibit a being the Los to Albany last year) are far more impactful on parents happiness than players. I’d be curious if your former teammate’s daughters were unhappy rather than the parents feeling like the team consistently underperformed the talent.

If uva drops its final 7 games in a row, the “good culture” vibes that are being talked about now by the parents will be a lot different.

I do root for the Hoos, and admire Julie myers as a hall of fame coach. But I also know that most parents happiness with a program is quite different than their daughters.
intheknow247

Post by intheknow247 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:18 pm
Brownlax wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:50 pm

Great post

Couldn’t agree more.
Quote from the Lamonica's - "Kids are playing their tails off. These guys have been quick to get on board". Success is always tied to buy in - no matter what you are talking about and no matter who or how old (freshman and grad students alike).
ACClaxfan

Post by ACClaxfan »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 9:33 am
hmmm wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:32 am

Great post

I’ll respond to you and watcher, and I’ll preface my response that I generally agree with and enjoy reading both of your posts. The issues with the uva program have largely been parent expectations of performance and the perception of an undecoaching relative to potential. Which were warranted. But the girls on the team weren’t unhappy being part of the program. If you ask the alumni, rather than their parents, they loved the program and most of them loved the coach.
Parents are another story. Play time, underachievement, dissatisfaction with coaching (exhibit a being the Los to Albany last year) are far more impactful on parents happiness than players. I’d be curious if your former teammate’s daughters were unhappy rather than the parents feeling like the team consistently underperformed the talent.

If uva drops its final 7 games in a row, the “good culture” vibes that are being talked about now by the parents will be a lot different.

I do root for the Hoos, and admire Julie myers as a hall of fame coach. But I also know that most parents happiness with a program is quite different than their daughters.
There is virtually no program where the parents do not think that the team could be better coached , it’s human nature and honestly I think they may be correct sometimes .
That said most parents who dislike a coach and program enough to lodge complaints it is almost always related to playing time .
If UVA had beat Albany I think Myers would still be coaching .
As far as the new coaching staff instilling some new culture let’s remember the team was 6-0 last year and ranked 9 at some point , winning creates culture as does losing .
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

My daughter was at a showcase about four years ago and played on the same team with Kayla MacLeod. She was the best player I ever saw live at the club level and was lights out at the 8 meter. Not shocked to see her dominating from there four years later. She’s gonna be a star.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”