Recruiting

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Relax77

Re: Recruiting

Post by Relax77 »

Just had a conversation with a few parents regarding this crazy recruiting year. Most of us have been through this twice. All of us have stories that sound the same. No one can figure out how and what these coaches are looking at. When your daughter doesn’t get contacted by teams ranked in the 50s and 80s RPI, that she has emailed religiously, but get contacted and committed by teams in the top 25, you just gotta scratch your head. What the heck are those teams in the 50s and 80s looking at?
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:07 pm Just had a conversation with a few parents regarding this crazy recruiting year. Most of us have been through this twice. All of us have stories that sound the same. No one can figure out how and what these coaches are looking at. When your daughter doesn’t get contacted by teams ranked in the 50s and 80s RPI, that she has emailed religiously, but get contacted and committed by teams in the top 25, you just gotta scratch your head. What the heck are those teams in the 50s and 80s looking at?
This is where club directors are important. 1) For being able to project where a girl will land and 2) being able to communicate player interest ahead of 9/1.

My 2nd daughter is a great example. Probably had talent for bottom half of top 25. But wanted to go to a smaller school (less than 6000 or so) and not have massive lectures. Other than Duke, Stanford and NW, the list of smallish D1 schools with top 30 lax programs is pretty small/non-existant. As a result, she targeted smaller schools. Pre 9/1, our recruiting director said several of those schools said, "would she even consider our school?"

Without this communication, coaches don't want to waste recruiting time on girls they don't believe they can get. An extreme example, I bet Youngstown State didn't recruit Alexis Spallina. Not because she wasn't good enough, but because they didn't think they could get her.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:07 pm Just had a conversation with a few parents regarding this crazy recruiting year. Most of us have been through this twice. All of us have stories that sound the same. No one can figure out how and what these coaches are looking at. When your daughter doesn’t get contacted by teams ranked in the 50s and 80s RPI, that she has emailed religiously, but get contacted and committed by teams in the top 25, you just gotta scratch your head. What the heck are those teams in the 50s and 80s looking at?
If players are religiously reaching out to schools ranked 50-80 (which is some average to below average lacrosse in D1) and end up at a top 25 you have to wonder 1) who provided them with such poor recruiting advice and 2) is the coach offering really stretching. The game is played at a different speed at the top programs, so players will get exposed real quick. The head scratcher is why was there such a big disconnect? Let’s hope it works out but what you described does not sound like a good situation.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:04 pm
If players are religiously reaching out to schools ranked 50-80 (which is some average to below average lacrosse in D1) and end up at a top 25 you have to wonder 1) who provided them with such poor recruiting advice and 2) is the coach offering really stretching. The game is played at a different speed at the top programs, so players will get exposed real quick. The head scratcher is why was there such a big disconnect? Let’s hope it works out but what you described does not sound like a good situation.
I’m thinking you totally misunderstood my point with the post. These kids, on a top team were all contacted by multiple top 25 teams. Not just one. And offered from them and committed to them. Some with great offers. Yet certain teams that they were interested, that were as you put below average lax didn’t contact them on Sept 1 or after when they reached out to them again expressing interest. How does the #6 team in the country commit a kid yet the #76 team doesn’t even contact them. And nothing wrong with a kid liking a school that is not great lax. Maybe they want to go to Bucknell or ASU or Coastal.
CnyLax

Post by CnyLax »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:52 pm
Relax77 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:55 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:59 am
Relax77 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:07 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 12:01 pm
spidey44 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:28 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:19 am Ignoring that some commits still aren't reported, here are the stats by clubs. Only a few have more than 2/3 of their rosters committed.

Some interesting data. really surprised by lowish numbers for M&D and Grizzlies
Not sure where that M&D number is coming from as the 25 Black team is at least at 18 alone. They have one or two left to commit and as I understand, one might be looking to play field hockey and not lax in college.
That was my point. Our club is at least 5 short on this list, which I why I think the real number is close to 800.

The next question would be why so many more this year, then in years past. I know my daughters offers were given timelines that ranged from 3 days to a week to “take your time and finish your visits.” Are kids rushing their process because they feel they have to take the offer? I certainly think my daughter was rushed on one of them.
I think it is a combo of a few things

1) With 5th year eligibility ending and many programs losing 15+ players in the upcoming class, coaches are bringing in bigger classes similar to pre-Covid numbers

2) Lots of non top-40 programs are being more aggressive earlier, instead of just waiting to see who falls through the cracks. No offense to the programs but look at the number of commits by High Point, Mass-Lowell, Mercer, William & Mary already have. These schools clearly aren't waiting around like they have in the past

3) Coaches have a better sense of who they like earlier in the process. Even at some of the "last chance" prospect days we saw, some of the coaches were clearly already focused on 26s.

4) This is just a really deep class, which gives coaches more leverage to give tighter time frames since the quality of 2nd tier prospects is better
Maybe 2. Definitely 4. Not sure about 1 and 3. While it may be true, I’m not sure that’s what is driving this insane pace they have going.
The more I think about it, I think #2 is probably the biggest driver. My daughter who went through the process this year, is objectively probably the least talented of my other two who have been through the process. However, she had more offers by 9/3 than the other 2, several of them through schools ranked in the 40-80 range. Older daughters who were more talented and recruiting by same schools, didn't actually get their "offer" from them until 3rd or 4th week of process or until after a visit.

From what I've heard next year could be even worse from a timing perspective. The coach who my daughter recently committed to said something to the effect of. "2025 is a very very deep class. 2023 was a good class and 2024 was pretty poor once you got past the top 50 players. however, the 2026 class is probably the best one we've seen in past 10 years."
Haha. This is what I've been hearing about the 25 class but it was after the top 20 the rest are pretty average. I'm going to venture a guess you have a daughter who is a 25?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

CnyLax wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:06 am
LaxDadMax wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:19 am Ignoring that some commits still aren't reported, here are the stats by clubs. Only a few have more than 2/3 of their rosters committed.

Not sure where that M&D number is coming from as the 25 Black team is at least at 18 alone. They have one or two left to commit and as I understand, one might be looking to play field hockey and not lax in college.
That was my point. Our club is at least 5 short on this list, which I why I think the real number is close to 800.

The next question would be why so many more this year, then in years past. I know my daughters offers were given timelines that ranged from 3 days to a week to “take your time and finish your visits.” Are kids rushing their process because they feel they have to take the offer? I certainly think my daughter was rushed on one of them.

1) With 5th year eligibility ending and many programs losing 15+ players in the upcoming class, coaches are bringing in bigger classes similar to pre-Covid numbers

2) Lots of non top-40 programs are being more aggressive earlier, instead of just waiting to see who falls through the cracks. No offense to the programs but look at the number of commits by High Point, Mass-Lowell, Mercer, William & Mary already have. These schools clearly aren't waiting around like they have in the past

3) Coaches have a better sense of who they like earlier in the process. Even at some of the "last chance" prospect days we saw, some of the coaches were clearly already focused on 26s.

4) This is just a really deep class, which gives coaches more leverage to give tighter time frames since the quality of 2nd tier prospects is better
Maybe 2. Definitely 4. Not sure about 1 and 3. While it may be true, I’m not sure that’s what is driving this insane pace they have going.
The more I think about it, I think #2 is probably the biggest driver. My daughter who went through the process this year, is objectively probably the least talented of my other two who have been through the process. However, she had more offers by 9/3 than the other 2, several of them through schools ranked in the 40-80 range. Older daughters who were more talented and recruiting by same schools, didn't actually get their "offer" from them until 3rd or 4th week of process or until after a visit.

From what I've heard next year could be even worse from a timing perspective. The coach who my daughter recently committed to said something to the effect of. "2025 is a very very deep class. 2023 was a good class and 2024 was pretty poor once you got past the top 50 players. however, the 2026 class is probably the best one we've seen in past 10 years."
Haha. This is what I've been hearing about the 25 class but it was after the top 20 the rest are pretty average. I'm going to venture a guess you have a daughter who is a 25?
In 22 I heard “the 22s are ok but you gotta see the 23s.” Then the 24 class was average but the 25s are off the charts. Now it’s the 25s are good but you gotta see the Maryland 26s. Meanwhile they’ve been telling us for years that coaches aren’t looking at 8th graders until they’re freshman in the fall. If true, they could’ve at least waited till next month to start the 26s are the best class in awhile talk.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

Relax77 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 10:15 pm
I’m thinking you totally misunderstood my point with the post. These kids, on a top team were all contacted by multiple top 25 teams. Not just one. And offered from them and committed to them. Some with great offers. Yet certain teams that they were interested, that were as you put below average lax didn’t contact them on Sept 1 or after when they reached out to them again expressing interest. How does the #6 team in the country commit a kid yet the #76 team doesn’t even contact them. And nothing wrong with a kid liking a school that is not great lax. Maybe they want to go to Bucknell or ASU or Coastal.
First, to your last point. Players should choose academics over lacrosse. Many of these kids will not make it all four years with lacrosse for various reasons, so liking the school they commit to is most important.

Second, coaches with teams in the 50-80 range understand where they fall in the pecking order and generally will not offer players being courted by multiple top 25 teams. So, it’s not surprising to hear they did not reach out.

Lastly, a great offer is only relevant to how it aligns with a players goals. May be primarily lacrosse, may be primarily academics, or a combination of both. Assuming JMU is the program you are referring to above I know players who are playing top 25 but did not consider JMU. They wanted stronger academics, a bigger school, a better location. I know players who have played for JMU and enjoyed it. All that matters is what works for each individual.

To a previous point you made, I have not heard coaches mention the 2025 class as the strongest. It does seem to be the first class to go through a pre-Covid recruiting cycle, which may help explain the quick start. I don’t have a player in either class but have heard the 2026 class is solid. If the 2023 class was described as good I’d like to see a great class. The 2023s didn’t get the fanfare because of navigating their recruiting experience around Covid.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:09 am
First, to your last point. Players should choose academics over lacrosse. Many of these kids will not make it all four years with lacrosse for various reasons, so liking the school they commit to is most important.

Second, coaches with teams in the 50-80 range understand where they fall in the pecking order and generally will not offer players being courted by multiple top 25 teams. So, it’s not surprising to hear they did not reach out.

Lastly, a great offer is only relevant to how it aligns with a players goals. May be primarily lacrosse, may be primarily academics, or a combination of both. Assuming JMU is the program you are referring to above I know players who are playing top 25 but did not consider JMU. They wanted stronger academics, a bigger school, a better location. I know players who have played for JMU and enjoyed it. All that matters is what works for each individual.

To a previous point you made, I have not heard coaches mention the 2025 class as the strongest. It does seem to be the first class to go through a pre-Covid recruiting cycle, which may help explain the quick start. I don’t have a player in either class but have heard the 2026 class is solid. If the 2023 class was described as good I’d like to see a great class. The 2023s didn’t get the fanfare because of navigating their recruiting experience around Covid.
One more time. There were multiple teams. Not just one, there was also Florida, Virginia, UConn and Clemson. And if you have a kid committing to JMU, UConn and Virginia, but Bucknell and ASU and Coastal won’t take their calls, there is something off there. If a kid is emailing these teams saying hey, your school is one of my top choices, I think it’s their responsibility to entertain that if they believe the kid is a good player. And if those aforementioned teams are looking at the kids, I would think they are top players. I don’t care if it was Alexa Spallina. If she is calling Bucknell, they should take the fifteen minute call with her to see if it is legit interest. Which If they do have the mindset you are suggesting, maybe that’s why they will be locked in the 80s forever. I’m going with they didn’t see what the other teams saw. Which was my original question.

Didn’t say 2025 was strongest. And I am also not the one who said you had a kid in the age group. Said this is been going on the last four years. Where people are saying they are hearing next years class is even better. I don’t buy it.
Have heard from a coach “2026 is Marylands strongest in a decade.” Think that’s funny because like I said. Coaches don’t generally watch 7th and 8th grade lacrosse as a whole anymore. If they made that statement next month, it would hold more weight.
VAMomGlax2019

Post by VAMomGlax2019 »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:49 am

One more time. There were multiple teams. Not just one, there was also Florida, Virginia, UConn and Clemson. And if you have a kid committing to JMU, UConn and Virginia, but Bucknell and ASU and Coastal won’t take their calls, there is something off there. If a kid is emailing these teams saying hey, your school is one of my top choices, I think it’s their responsibility to entertain that if they believe the kid is a good player. And if those aforementioned teams are looking at the kids, I would think they are top players. I don’t care if it was Alexa Spallina. If she is calling Bucknell, they should take the fifteen minute call with her to see if it is legit interest. Which If they do have the mindset you are suggesting, maybe that’s why they will be locked in the 80s forever. I’m going with they didn’t see what the other teams saw. Which was my original question.

Didn’t say 2025 was strongest. And I am also not the one who said you had a kid in the age group. Said this is been going on the last four years. Where people are saying they are hearing next years class is even better. I don’t buy it.
Have heard from a coach “2026 is Marylands strongest in a decade.” Think that’s funny because like I said. Coaches don’t generally watch 7th and 8th grade lacrosse as a whole anymore. If they made that statement next month, it would hold more weight.
I will stand by the point made that teams in the 50-80 range generally do not call players considered by top 25. But to your point, you said it’s their obligation to follow up if they believe they are good players. Maybe these teams in the 50-80 range did not believe they were. What I find perplexing about your posts are why are kids so hooked on looking at Bucknell and Coastal Carolina if realistically JMU and UVA were looking at them. Something is not adding up.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:41 am

I will stand by the point made that teams in the 50-80 range generally do not call players considered by top 25. But to your point, you said it’s their obligation to follow up if they believe they are good players.
What I find perplexing about your posts are why are kids so hooked on looking at Bucknell and Coastal Carolina if realistically JMU and UVA were looking at them. Something is not adding up.
And that was the whole purpose of my post.

“Maybe these teams in the 50-80 range did not believe they were.”

How can teams in the top 25 think players are worthy and teams in the 80s do not? What are they seeing?
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

VAMomGlax2019 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:41 am

I will stand by the point made that teams in the 50-80 range generally do not call players considered by top 25. But to your point, you said it’s their obligation to follow up if they believe they are good players. Maybe these teams in the 50-80 range did not believe they were. What I find perplexing about your posts are why are kids so hooked on looking at Bucknell and Coastal Carolina if realistically JMU and UVA were looking at them. Something is not adding up.
Lmao. No one said these parents were hooked. They said they were confused why they didn’t hear from them. Maybe this can “add it up” for you. Our club had the girls have three sets of emails sent out. Reach, Fit and Safety. So hearing from JMU and Virginia and also emailing lower end teams shouldn’t be a shock. She also got responses from other schools not in the top 50 that she didn’t email. So why a team like Holy Cross or Delaware would waste their time but a team like Bucknell wouldn’t doesn’t make sense. It goes back to every one is different in how they recruit.

Once again. And this is the last time I’ll answer you cause I see where this is going. It may not just be about lacrosse for some kids. I can’t speak for the other kids but my kid was very interested in ASU for the last few years. That was In Her top three. Nothing to do with lax. But I’ll let her know you disapproved because there can’t be a situation that kid wants to go to a school in the west if such an icon of a school like JMU is interested in her.
Last edited by Relax77 on Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laxfan212

Post by Laxfan212 »

I absolutely know where you’re coming from. I think some of this can also have to do with the style of player they’re looking for, or maybe personality for, club, region. I have a kid who was really interested in a specific Ivy that at the time was in the 70-80’s rank range. She wasn’t interested for the lacrosse team specifically but she loved a lot of other aspects of the school. She did all she could to catch their attention, and had the grades and scores to go with it. She ended up committing to a top 4 program. Still don’t know why they weren’t interested. The club coach tried as well. I will say at the time the school had maybe 1 girl ever commit there from her state, and never her club. So maybe that’s part of it. The other aspect is player type or style of play. I’ve seen schools that have a type - small fast girls, tall girls, etc. If your kid fits the mold of one school doesn’t mean they’ll fit the mold of another, even if the second school is a better team, record wise.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

Laxfan212 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:41 pm I absolutely know where you’re coming from. I think some of this can also have to do with the style of player they’re looking for, or maybe personality for, club, region. I have a kid who was really interested in a specific Ivy that at the time was in the 70-80’s rank range. She wasn’t interested for the lacrosse team specifically but she loved a lot of other aspects of the school. She did all she could to catch their attention, and had the grades and scores to go with it. She ended up committing to a top 4 program. Still don’t know why they weren’t interested. The club coach tried as well. I will say at the time the school had maybe 1 girl ever commit there from her state, and never her club. So maybe that’s part of it. The other aspect is player type or style of play. I’ve seen schools that have a type - small fast girls, tall girls, etc. If your kid fits the mold of one school doesn’t mean they’ll fit the mold of another, even if the second school is a better team, record wise.
Exactly what I was describing and wondering. I’m sure it can be any of those. Thank you for the response.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Yes. Never made a secret of it. Have a 20, 23, 25 and 27 daughter.

Have seen top teams play across all age groups in past 6 years. Here is how I would rank the classes

1. 2022
2. 2025
3. 2023
4. 2021 (though covid impacting this one a lot)
5. 2020
6. 2024

From what I have seen, the 2026s are all least as good as the 22s if not better.

As far as the comments about coaches not looking at 26s, I agree in part. Coaches aren't recruiting in depth at this age group unless someone blow them away at a camp. But they do know the quality of play at local clubs and the ones who they recruit from the most.

If you don't think that KT knows the best 26s (and even 27s) at Aces and Monster or AWW doesn't know the best players at Mass Elite and Grizzlies or Amanda Oleary doesn't know the best YJ players or Reese doesn't know the best ones at M&D And Heros (bad example since Reese's daughter is one them), then you are naive.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:46 pm

Have seen top teams play across all age groups in past 6 years. Here is how I would rank the classes

1. 2022
2. 2025
3. 2023
5. 2020
6. 2024

From what I have seen, the 2026s are all least as good as the 22s if not better.

As far as the comments about coaches not looking at 26s, I agree in part. Coaches aren't recruiting in depth at this age group unless someone blow them away at a camp. But they do know the quality of play at local clubs and the ones who they recruit from the most.

If you don't think that KT knows the best 26s (and even 27s) at Aces and Monster or AWW doesn't know the best players at Mass Elite and Grizzlies or Amanda Oleary doesn't know the best YJ players or Reese doesn't know the best ones at M&D And Heros (bad example since Reese's daughter is one them), then you are naive.
I agree. They certainly know the top kids in some of those clubs. But I don’t think anyone is able to say if it’s a better class right now. They have not looked at most of the 1200 kids that are about to descend on Florida. Sure the top 30 2026s may be better than the 2022 top 30 at this point but they have no clue about he majority of other players that will be shaping the other rosters. Hey I get it. The YJ Manning parents have been telling us how good they are since the kids were 9 . 😁 I will say there is a very good chance that every class going forward will be better than the previous. The way girls lax is growing, I think that would make sense.
Deacon022

Post by Deacon022 »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:59 pm
Laxfan212 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:41 pm I absolutely know where you’re coming from. I think some of this can also have to do with the style of player they’re looking for, or maybe personality for, club, region. I have a kid who was really interested in a specific Ivy that at the time was in the 70-80’s rank range. She wasn’t interested for the lacrosse team specifically but she loved a lot of other aspects of the school. She did all she could to catch their attention, and had the grades and scores to go with it. She ended up committing to a top 4 program. Still don’t know why they weren’t interested. The club coach tried as well. I will say at the time the school had maybe 1 girl ever commit there from her state, and never her club. So maybe that’s part of it. The other aspect is player type or style of play. I’ve seen schools that have a type - small fast girls, tall girls, etc. If your kid fits the mold of one school doesn’t mean they’ll fit the mold of another, even if the second school is a better team, record wise.
Exactly what I was describing and wondering. I’m sure it can be any of those. Thank you for the response.
My daughter wanted to go to Coastal. It was in her top three. She’s been there twice 2021 and Fall 2022, her brother goes there and she loves the beach being 20 minutes away. They didn’t contact her on September 1, which was shocking. We thought it was a shoe in. Her club coach reached out and nothing. If they did and offer she would have definitely gone there. She got offers from a team in the teens, a team in the 20s and low 30s. No idea why they passed but they did. Was chalking it up to the Assoc Head Coach left and my daughter didn’t go down there in the summer.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:26 pm
I will say there is a very good chance that every class going forward will be better than the previous. The way girls lax is growing, I think that would make sense.
As the parent of a 27, I can say pretty confidently that the 2027 class won't be better than 25s or 26s. Having see most if not all of the top 20 club teams, I can confidently say with maybe two exceptions every club team is well behind where their 25s were 2 years prior. Some great players to be sure, however, there are some girls on top 10 teams who would have been lucky to make a B team on their club a couple years prior.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:16 pm
I will say there is a very good chance that every class going forward will be better than the previous. The way girls lax is growing, I think that would make sense.
As the parent of a 27, I can say pretty confidently that the 2027 class won't be better than 25s or 26s. Having see most if not all of the top 20 club teams, I can confidently say with maybe two exceptions every club team is well behind where their 25s were 2 years prior. Some great players to be sure, however, there are some girls on top 10 teams who would have been lucky to make a B team on their club a couple years prior.
Interesting.
CnyLax

Post by CnyLax »

LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:46 pm

1. 2022
2. 2025
3. 2023
5. 2020
6. 2024

Congrats to you and your daughter. I guess we'll see how it all the plays out on the field. IMO I think the 23's are the best overall but again we will see in the upcoming years. Good luck to your daughters
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:19 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:16 pm
Interesting.
Our club director has a theory on this. She thinks developmentally the 27s and 28s were actually the 2 classes impacted most by Covid.

The worst Covid spring/ summer/fall was during their 5th and 4th grade years, when many girls played club for the first time. With most rec leagues cancelled, lots of girls "forgot about the sport" for a while.

As a result, many girls either didn't do club, switched to another sports (mainly soccer which restarted a bit earlier) or didn't try out for club until later which held back development.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”