THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by Wheels »

One thing JHU has going for it against UVA is that their style always keeps teams in games. They're going to take chances. No player on their teams has seen a shot he didn't think looked good, even from the bleachers behind the goal. Look at the scores of their wins:

11-8
12-11
15-14
14-13
13-11

In most of those games, the Wahoos trailed in the 4th quarter and made runs to win. Even that 11-8 Lehigh was close, and Lehigh was missing like 4 or 5 of their top offensive players.

Despite JHU's lack of size in the midfield compared to UVA's midfield, UVA is going to do enough stupid things to keep you all in the game. Lars also isn't exactly known to be a good tactician in-game, so you all don't need to worry about their adjustments too much.

It's going to be a close game. Hold off their inevitable 4th quarter run and you'll be in good shape.
molo

Post by molo »

This game used to feature lots of local Baltimore players on both sides. As the sport has become more national, we are seeing fewer alums of the Baltimore prep scene on this game. By my reckoning, only three starters are from the MIAA—Williams (Loyola Blakefield) for Hopkins and Conrad(LB) and Rode (St. Paul’s) for UVA although each team has a few more locals who should see some pt.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

Random Thoughts on Schedule.

Traditional rivalries are important. JHU has adjusted its schedule periodically (we dropped Syracuse when it became a weak team and picked up Cornell when it became strong).

With Big 10 conf play, we are now playing a lot of teams that are not traditional rivals.

Navy first began Lacrosse in the way-back-when because Hopkins players went to Annapolis and told some Navy cadets that they were playing a new (cool) sport and that Navy should field a team also, and they could play each other. The Hopkins players came to Annapolis to coach the prospective Navy players, (Check out the history of Navy lacrosse, It is true). How do we drop Navy from our schedule? Navy and Hopkins lacrosse history is intertwined Short commute for games. Keep Navy on the schedule.

Same with Virginia. Long time rival.

Drop North Carolina. Long trip, doesn't help our recruiting (tobacco road and not a lot of High School lacrosse) and helps NC recruit in Maryland, Pa, NJ, as they can tell recruits that their families can watch them play in Balt.

Pick up U of Pa, or Villanova. Short trip, and in a "hot" recruiting area.

Going to the Virginia game. I hope that we win, but I wouldn't place money on it. My sources are discouraged. Like the Goalie and the FO guy, but Inconsistent play, too small, no aggressive dodger at attack and no classic feeder at attack. A critical year for the Coaches. We will see.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

molo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:57 pm This game used to feature lots of local Baltimore players on both sides. As the sport has become more national, we are seeing fewer alums of the Baltimore prep scene on this game. By my reckoning, only three starters are from the MIAA—Williams (Loyola Blakefield) for Hopkins and Conrad(LB) and Rode (St. Paul’s) for UVA although each team has a few more locals who should see some pt.
i don't think it is odd that both schools have seen a drop off in play over the last decade with fewer MIAA kids. Not saying that a breadth of players are not required but at its peak in the early 2000s to 2008 - Petro was pulling a lot of kids out of the MIAA and Balitmore area. And he hasn't been doing that recently.
molo

Post by molo »

UVA also used to draw heavily from here, but the numbers of local recruits dipped for obvious reasons after 2010. I'm not so sure the relative lack of MIAA recruits coincides with a relative decline in the fortunes of UVA and JHU as much as it indicates that the former hotbeds are no longer as dominant in producing good players because there are just so many more good high school players from so many more areas. I am generally in the pro camp on the issue of growing the game, and with Baltimore remaining the home of quality college programs, I can still see plenty of top tier college games live. If fewer of the players went to hs here, so be it.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

molo wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:29 pm UVA also used to draw heavily from here, but the numbers of local recruits dipped for obvious reasons after 2010. I'm not so sure the relative lack of MIAA recruits coincides with a relative decline in the fortunes of UVA and JHU as much as it indicates that the former hotbeds are no longer as dominant in producing good players because there are just so many more good high school players from so many more areas. I am generally in the pro camp on the issue of growing the game, and with Baltimore remaining the home of quality college programs, I can still see plenty of top tier college games live. If fewer of the players went to hs here, so be it.
The type of athlete recruited at the highest levels of the college game has changed. The really good athletes in the MIAA still get recruited by the best programs. It's the really good stick skill but smaller/slower MIAA kids that no longer go to the high end programs. As the game has expanded, there are more athletes to recruit.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Hopkins still gets more top-tier players out of Boys Latin than any other school. (Petro's sons are now freshman on the BL team and will start getting looks from schools soon...should be interesting to see how that plays out.) It was only a few months ago that Brendan Grimes switched from OSU to JHU—so clearly he seems okay with the state of the Hopkins lacrosse program. The BL pipeline remains strong, and there are plenty of other local kids in the pipeline to go along with more geographically diverse classes, as I outlined in this thread a few weeks ago. Ian Krampf, and attackman out of St. Mary's and Tim Marcille, a goalie from Gonzaga will be joining us next year. Landon is not MIAA but we seem to have got a pretty good one who graduated recently from there. The current roster also has alumni from McDonogh, Loyola, Bullis, St. Paul's, Friends, Severn, and DeMatha. The Maryland/DC area is well represented. Not as many Calvert Hall guys since Ryan Brown (the Kelly-UNC connection makes that difficult) but now that we've got Tinney on the sidelines there maybe that pipeline gets going again.

Now having said all that I thought we just had a big discussion about how Hop needs FEWER MIAA kids and needs to start looking elsewhere (they are). So...which is it? More or less Maryland prep school guys?
molo

Post by molo »

I was deliberately vague. I am in favor of seeing more athletes and fewer niche players in the sport. I agree that there will always be some good players coming out of the traditional prep school programs, but as the sport expands to include better athletes from all over, the demographics will change. At this point, though, the change is pretty incremental. More kids from more places are playing, but from what I can see, the demographics are still pretty similar. It does seem, however, that as the game expands to more metro areas, more programs are developing in public schools, albeit in affluent areas. This may just reflect the Baltimore private school thing in contrast to some areas where the middle and upper middle class kids go to their local public schools.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

But, at least it is warm in Carolina.

Well, they COULD provide better field conditions next time too.

Screw it, drop both Syracuse and Carolina.

Add Navy and Notre Dame.

I don’t want the Blue A-holes. Rudest, ill-informed fan base I’ve ever seen.
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:18 pm But, at least it is warm in Carolina.

Add Navy and Notre Dame.

Yes ND is so polite
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:18 pm But, at least it is warm in Carolina.

Add Navy and Notre Dame.

this is a serious question but i assume you mean Duke?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

houndace1 wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:51 pm

Add Navy and Notre Dame.

Absolutely.

2008. Semifinal. Pregame. Some obnoxious young no-nothing wearing DBA paraphernalia practically ran over me, said disparaging things about Hopkins, who are they?

My reply: you’re about to find out.

The best part of that story to me was finding out how both teams went back to the hotel. Hopkins was checking back in.

DBA was hurriedly evacuating their rooms, well beyond checkout time obviously. They had to leave and had assumed they were staying for the whole weekend.

Wrong.

True story.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

reLAX wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:14 pm

Add Navy and Notre Dame.

Yes ND is so polite
Remember the Catholics vs. Convicts T-shirts?
Homer

Post by Homer »

I guess I can reconcile myself to getting behind Petro vs. Corrigan once a year. Reintroduces a certain mano a mano element we haven't had regularly since Tierney went to Denver. We can restart the Boorish Coach Behavior thread here on Fanlax...

As for the other ACC team, that's a cool story about 2008. You know they're 4-0 against us since then and have won those games by an average score of 17-8? Be competitive and then maybe you can be snide. I don't really love the school either, but that's a damn good program.
reLAX

Post by reLAX »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:10 pm

Add Navy and Notre Dame.

Absolutely.

2008. Semifinal. Pregame. Some obnoxious young no-nothing wearing DBA paraphernalia practically ran over me, said disparaging things about Hopkins, who are they?

The best part of that story to me was finding out how both teams went back to the hotel. Hopkins was checking back in.

DBA was hurriedly evacuating their rooms, well beyond checkout time obviously. They had to leave and had assumed they were staying for the whole weekend.

Wrong.

True story.
LOVE that story!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:10 pm

Add Navy and Notre Dame.

Absolutely.

Wrong.

True story.
Ah! thanks for the response. I've heard that fanbases of hop's biggest rivals can be very crass, obnoxious. Has any of this been confirmed?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

There's chuckleheads and inebriated people in virtually any fanbase, including Hopkins. For example, while I wouldn't use the term "rude" - obnoxious and poor sport (in terms of complaining about officiating) can readily be applied to Hopkins most televised fan. And of course we have had the infamous "cheerleader" who practically got himself killed giving it to Navy fans. BTW - the worst fans by far in terms of behavior before during and after games IMO are the Navy Hooligans. I am sure there are plenty of nice Duke fans. If it is Duke we are after instead of UVA - not sure why - have we beaten them since 2008?
2010 - double digit loss in playoffs
2017 - beyond embarrassing loss at home in play-offs
2014 - while it got competitive in the 3rd quarter still an 8 goal loss
2018 - again perhaps a little more competitive than the 5 goal margin but still a 5 goal margin
Right now Duke is the windshield and we are the bug
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:00 am There's chuckleheads and inebriated people in virtually any fanbase, including Hopkins. For example, while I wouldn't use the term "rude" - obnoxious and poor sport (in terms of complaining about officiating) can readily be applied to Hopkins most televised fan. And of course we have had the infamous "cheerleader" who practically got himself killed giving it to Navy fans. BTW - the worst fans by far in terms of behavior before during and after games IMO are the Navy Hooligans. I am sure there are plenty of nice Duke fans. If it is Duke we are after instead of UVA - not sure why - have we beaten them since 2008?
2010 - double digit loss in playoffs
2017 - beyond embarrassing loss at home in play-offs
2014 - while it got competitive in the 3rd quarter still an 8 goal loss
2018 - again perhaps a little more competitive than the 5 goal margin but still a 5 goal margin
Right now Duke is the windshield and we are the bug
see i never thought Navy and their badgering could get that bad, and this is coming from someone who's watched them play at Ridley in the patriot league for the past couple years as a student. I've seen some cuse folks get into really heated arguments with hop fans both here and IRL, but i'd imagine that the bad blood hopkins has between them and several programs would have to be: Cuse, UNC, and especially the Terps.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Wheels wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:27 pm One thing JHU has going for it against UVA is that their style always keeps teams in games. They're going to take chances. No player on their teams has seen a shot he didn't think looked good, even from the bleachers behind the goal. Look at the scores of their wins:

11-8
12-11
15-14
14-13
13-11

In most of those games, the Wahoos trailed in the 4th quarter and made runs to win. Even that 11-8 Lehigh was close, and Lehigh was missing like 4 or 5 of their top offensive players.

Despite JHU's lack of size in the midfield compared to UVA's midfield, UVA is going to do enough stupid things to keep you all in the game. Lars also isn't exactly known to be a good tactician in-game, so you all don't need to worry about their adjustments too much.

It's going to be a close game. Hold off their inevitable 4th quarter run and you'll be in good shape.
I actually think Tiffany has pulled in the reins a bit and their players have become more disciplined. Their trio of stars such as Kraus , Aiken and Moore are distributing well and looking for good shots instead of just firing away. Believed coming into season that UVA was overrated because of heater skelter style but coming back from five down against ND D was most impressive. Hopkins somehow has to slow up the game and make it a slugfest because they are not winning a track meet with VA . The new shot clock has been good for the game but not necessarily for JHU style and personnel. Have the goalie and good enuff D when settled. Establishing the tempo is key, lose that and you lose the game
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

stupefied wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:26 am
Wheels wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:27 pm One thing JHU has going for it against UVA is that their style always keeps teams in games. They're going to take chances. No player on their teams has seen a shot he didn't think looked good, even from the bleachers behind the goal. Look at the scores of their wins:

11-8
12-11
15-14
14-13
13-11

I actually think Tiffany has pulled in the reins a bit and their players have become more disciplined. Their trio of stars such as Kraus , Aiken and Moore are distributing well and looking for good shots instead of just firing away. Believed coming into season that UVA was overrated because of heater skelter style but coming back from five down against ND D was most impressive. Hopkins somehow has to slow up the game and make it a slugfest because they are not winning a track meet with VA . The new shot clock has been good for the game but not necessarily for JHU style and personnel. Have the goalie and good enuff D when settled. Establishing the tempo is key, lose that and you lose the game
That's good assessment. I'd also add that you have to win face-offs or at least muck up the face-off enough to slow tempo. UVA has great wing play, not just from Conrad (but he makes the face-offs infinitely more dangerous). Lars loves to run off of face-off wins. JHU's been pretty good this year despite the youth at the FOGO. In UVA's multiple comebacks this season, they've really ignited those runs off of face-off wins. When Lars was at Brown, his face-off crew pretty much single handedly got them to the Final 4.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”