Games Today

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Games Today

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Laxfan500 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:27 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:31 pm It's not a stretch to say that Virginia could challenge for ACC title(s) this year. Up 7-2 late in 1st.
3 freshmen kicking butt for UVA
They're impressive! Fearless. Dinardo especially.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

So many unforced TOs.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:38 pm So many unforced TOs.
28 so far
Bart

Post by Bart »

Good win by UVa.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Bart wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:10 pmGood win by UVa.
Agreed; kept their poise when it closed to 7-5 in the 3rd.
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:22 pm I just had a chance to watch UVA vs. Stanford. Some early season stuff (as would be expected) but UVA looks like a different team to me. And they are YOUNG ... 6 freshman saw meaningful minutes on attack and midfield and were aided by 2 sophomore starters on defense and a sophomore GK who made 12 saves, including one to preserve a one-goal lead with .15 left to play. I have no idea what the recruiting pipeline looks like, but LaMonica is looks to be building for the future.
Like I said back in week #2, the Hoos are feeling it. The momentum that comes with a new coach with a fresh perspective and attitude cannot be understated.

While the veterans provided leadership, folks watching the broadcast heard the commentators talking about the young contributors at UVA. Here is a link to the box score, so everyone can do their own work about the impact of the 1st and 2nd year players on the UVA roster. I'll help you out: Galica, Aliamo, DiNardo, Cruthirds, Bruno, Josephson, DeMark, and Schneider are all 1st or 2nd years.

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=517979
Bart

Post by Bart »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:16 pm
Bart wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:10 pmGood win by UVa.
Agreed; kept their poise when it closed to 7-5 in the 3rd.
Yes. I thought the same thing.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Best git cho Orange house in order--Ginny comin for you next Syracuse!

If successful Saturday in defeating Syracuse, the Cavs will essentially have nailed their 2024 theses to the door of the ACC--and served notice: We're coming for it all.

Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:28 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:22 pm I just had a chance to watch UVA vs. Stanford. Some early season stuff (as would be expected) but UVA looks like a different team to me. And they are YOUNG ... 6 freshman saw meaningful minutes on attack and midfield and were aided by 2 sophomore starters on defense and a sophomore GK who made 12 saves, including one to preserve a one-goal lead with .15 left to play. I have no idea what the recruiting pipeline looks like, but LaMonica is looks to be building for the future.
Like I said back in week #2, the Hoos are feeling it. The momentum that comes with a new coach with a fresh perspective and attitude cannot be understated.

While the veterans provided leadership, folks watching the broadcast heard the commentators talking about the young contributors at UVA. Here is a link to the box score, so everyone can do their own work about the impact of the 1st and 2nd year players on the UVA roster. I'll help you out: Galica, Aliamo, DiNardo, Cruthirds, Bruno, Josephson, DeMark, and Schneider are all 1st or 2nd years.

Reports of UVAs inevitable decline as a program appear to have been greatly exaggerated. New coach. New system. Energized players. Strong newcomers recruited by old coach.
If the hoos finish top 10 this year, they will have a a GREAT recruiting summer because UVA is a very popular school.
I think we’ll see uva back as a perennial top team in a few years. They may take a step back next year—but they may not as they graduated a lot of talent last year and have so far had more success this year than last!
Great job by lamonica coaching a team where she picked exactly zero of the players….
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

Reports of UVAs inevitable decline as a program appear to have been greatly exaggerated. New coach. New system. Energized players. Strong newcomers recruited by old coach.
If the hoos finish top 10 this year, they will have a a GREAT recruiting summer because UVA is a very popular school.
I think we’ll see uva back as a perennial top team in a few years. They may take a step back next year—but they may not as they graduated a lot of talent last year and have so far had more success this year than last!
Great job by lamonica coaching a team where she picked exactly zero of the players….
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Womenslaxxfan wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:49 pm

They look very good. Zone is very effective in tandem with tough goalie (though there should have been at least a few 3 sec/shooting space calls imo). Nice balanced attack. Rookies are playing free. First-years getting so many minutes have a tendency to hit a wall toward the end of the season (i.e. UNC in '23). Apparent lack of depth could be costly but for now they're playing inspired ball.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Brownlax wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:05 pm I'm kind of surprised that Richmond is only up 1 against George Mason right now - 10-9 in 2nd.
George Mason took them to OT but Spiders pulled it out.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

I’ve liked the direction UVA was trending the past few seasons, even before LaMonica and despite the loss to Albany in NCAAs. LaMonica has really taken them to another level, especially with the departure of Clark. There is much more consistency now. Their underclassmen are getting a lot of love but I really think they have a nice balance of both. The seniors provide leadership but I also think they contribute meaningfully on the field. Hoeg, Shaw, Bostain, & Schwab all definitely have their presences felt IMO.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

My 2 cents on this JMU-UVA game. JMU could have won. As a team, they shot poorly and gave the ball away a lot, with dumb errors that should be reduced by mid-season or more. UVA won, even though it threw the ball away a lot. Kept their poise in the 3rd quarter, and rattled off a few to gain some separation, and then handled the pressure the rest of the way. Nicely done, for sure. Just a little sloppier game than I was expecting. Maybe because they both understood that this OOC game was important -- and for the championship of the Old Dominion. I left thinking that neither of these teams will compete for the title this year.

But program-leadership matters. And the UVA team -- which I think has a nice blend of excellent youngsters (DiNardo? Wow.) and oldsters (not a coincidence that Shaw opened the scoring with two goals) -- show the new leadership. I think Lamonica is very happy to have the kids that Colleen Shearer and Julie Myers recruited; probably (no offense here) better on balance than the kids she was getting at Towson.

Syracuse should have its hands full -- playing on grass!!! -- in Charlottesville. Syracuse is 4-0 in conference; UVA is 3-1 in conference. A lot on the line? So...Syracuse wins 15-12.

Oh, did anyone catch the Navy-Loyola game? Report?
OuttaNowhereWregget

I don't know if it's a legitimate excuse or not but the wind was gusting to 20 mph at game time. They showed the flags at the beginning which were flapping pretty good.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:00 am I don't know if it's a legitimate excuse or not but the wind was gusting to 20 mph at game time. They showed the flags at the beginning which were flapping pretty good.
Sure, that accounts for some it, as well as sun in the eyes on occasion. But still, a lot of poor TOs.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:35 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:00 am I don't know if it's a legitimate excuse or not but the wind was gusting to 20 mph at game time. They showed the flags at the beginning which were flapping pretty good.
Sure, that accounts for some it, as well as sun in the eyes on occasion. But still, a lot of poor TOs.
Without a doubt. 35 all told. 19 for JMU, 16 for Ginny.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:49 am
Draw advantage kind of negated there.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:51 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:49 am
Draw advantage kind of negated there.
Dukes credited with 9 CT's, Cavs with 14. The wind, the sun and the sloppiness of the players took the rest.
eastcoastlax

Post by eastcoastlax »

While the veterans provided lea dership,folks watching the broadcast heard the commentators talking about the young contributors at UVA. Here is a link to the box score, so everyone can do their own work about the impact of the 1st and 2nd year players on the UVA roster. I'll help you out: Galica, Aliamo, DiNardo, Cruthirds, Bruno, Josephson, DeMark, and Schneider are all 1st or 2nd years.

https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=51797
Last edited by eastcoastlax on Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”