Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by DocBarrister »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:00 am
Jldlax wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:04 pm The sniping, arguing and bashing on this “fan” site is remarkable — and not in a good way. Like many programs with legendary coaches, things got stale and the change probably took too long. See UVA and Cuse for recent lacrosse examples. But Hopkins is a top school with great tradition, a top 2 league with a good TV contract, and a good location to attract both local and regional talent.

As a Hopkins outsider this board projects a negative impression. Hopkins has picked up some solid 4 stars in this cycle but one rarely sees mention of this. Sad!
I have yet to see a five star recruit from this staff. No top ten recruits. No top five recruits. Petro was a better recruiter, hands down.
Two years of sub-.500 and running off the players has soured most of us.
Another year of not making the playoffs, not being in the playoff conversation in March, and mindless mediocrity and the Cordish Center is going to need a moat.
Isn’t Coach Milliman’s entire MO to set up an offensive system and find the players who will thrive in that system? Ya know … square pegs for square holes.

If that’s the case, Hopkins doesn’t necessarily need five star recruits … just square pegs. Indeed, certain five star recruits may not be the square pegs that Milliman needs for his system.

Anyway, the HC has brought in his first full class of recruits and some quality transfers. Milliman has had enough time to make the program his own. Wish him and the team well on a good 2023 season.

As for winning games … I’m not sure Hopkins has ever had a head coach with three consecutive losing seasons. The schedule is pretty rough this year. If Milliman doesn’t at least achieve a winning record this season, not entirely certain he will get another season to prove himself.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:20 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:18 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:54 pm
We just need to win games.
Easier said than done.
Two wins last year, Loyola and Cuse, are going to be much harder in 2023 at Ridley and the Dome.
Not seeing wins against UMD, Rutgers, UVA, NC, or Georgetown.
Delaware, Navy, Ohio State all tough.... not many easy games on this schedule.
not to mention, after this year half of petros recruits will be gone.
what'll happen in the out years?
An entire team of Petro's recruits played probably the worst Hopkins lacrosse I've ever seen in 2020. Not sure why this is such a scary proposition?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:46 pm
Isn’t Coach Milliman’s entire MO to set up an offensive system and find the players who will thrive in that system? Ya know … square pegs for square holes.

If that’s the case, Hopkins doesn’t necessarily need five star recruits … just square pegs. Indeed, certain five star recruits may not be the square pegs that Milliman needs for his system.

Anyway, the HC has brought in his first full class of recruits and some quality transfers. Milliman has had enough time to make the program his own. Wish him and the team well on a good 2023 season.

As for winning games … I’m not sure Hopkins has ever had a head coach with three consecutive losing seasons. The schedule is pretty rough this year. If Milliman doesn’t at least achieve a winning record this season, not entirely certain he will get another season to prove himself.

DocBarrister
I don't know, it looks like PM got one really good recruit this year. Will that be enough to overtake the UMDs and the UVAs, North Carolina's etc?
Doubtful. By contrast, Cuse had a really strong recruiting class.
Still think this team is looking at a ~.500 or ~ sub .500 season in 2023.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

"Others doubt Greg Raymond was contacted." — These people are wrong and whoever they are, you should stop getting information from them.

It's funny. You don't want to give PM any credit for recruiting Teat OR any of the guys on the team now who just made the championship game and pushed Maryland, who were recruited while he was head coach. Which is it? EITHER the assistants should get the credit or the head coach. In the former case, he should get credit for Teat. In the latter case, he doesn't get credit for Teat but does get credit for CJ Kirst, Gavin Adler, Michael Long, Chayse Ierlan, etc. It's abundantly transparent that some people have an agenda when it comes to this guy and the narrative surrounding him.”

PM gets the credit he earns; no stolen credit. You seem to like giving him credit for everything. Let me help you here. In 2002 at the FF i spent quite a bit of time with Richie Moran and the Cornell team in their hotel room, i grew up in Rochester NY. I was recruited by Cornell in a different sport. All you are doing is passing along rumor or making up PR.

Who are the people? The Coaches. Duh. The lax community members, officials like that. You wannabe the sole source for Hopkins lax but you don’t know the community or its history. I recall you claiming some of these coaches were actually interviewed. That is when i got interested. You are always trying to pump up PM even if it is at someone else’s expense. He will succeed or not with or without you. Go out and get an education. Want to know more talk to the Cornell lax community about him.

You have ego problems imo. Your reactions are out of proportion to the stimulus. The simplistic question “is it the coach or asst coach”is revealing. Some of our best players got their biggest push from someone else. You act as if God died snd left you in charge so you try and control content and what is true or not true, way above your pay grade and knowledge particularly after you go on record.

I was talking with a friend who knows the Cornell program very well. He made the comment the Lax Community never thought they knew him bcs he never spent much time w them. Seems to echo here.

You never show anything like a receipt. Quoting rumors in publications that are not relevant to the point is weak. As os asking others to do what you don’t do.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:28 am PM gets the credit he earns; no stolen credit. You seem to lime giving him credit for everything. Let me help you here. In 2002 at the FF i spent quite a bit of time with Richie Moran and the Cornell team in their hotel room, i grew up in Rochester NY. I was recruited by Cornell in a different sport. All you are doing is passing along rumor or making up PR.
So because you were recruited by a different coach for a different sport a million years ago, that makes you an authority on how Cornell recruits lacrosse players in the late 2010s?

I'm not passing along anything. I don't know exactly how Cornell's recruiting process worked because I wasn't in the room — neither were you. What I do know is that Cornell recruited good players both when PM was an assistant and when he was head coach.
OCanada wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:28 am Who are the people? The Coaches. Duh. The lax community members, officials like that. You wannabe the sole source for Hopkins lax but you don’t know the community or its history.
You are not the arbiter of who can or cannot be part of the Hopkins lacrosse community. You're trying to make it a secret society. I attended the school. I donate. I am friends with several former players. I go to multiple games per year and am friendly with a handful of parents and alums. I've gone to many tailgates and have never seen you there. I know the roster front to back — to suggest I don't care about community or history is a complete ad hominem that has no basis in reality but it's all you have to fall back on. I'm the one desperately trying to keep this thread on track to discuss LACROSSE — personnel, scheduling, events, etc. There are several here who operate in good faith to support the program — Ruffled, Homer, nyjay, etc. — but sadly many other respected posters (51) have been driven away by the absolute constant flood of negativity and weirdness from a select group of "fans."
OCanada wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:28 am I recall you claiming some of these coaches were actually interviewed. That is when i got interested. You are always trying to pump up PM even if it is at someone else’s expense. He will succeed or not with or without you. Go out and get an education. Want to know more talk to the Cornell lax community about him.
Wrong. I want people to give the man a fair shake and to have an open mind. I want the program to succeed and that requires alumni buy-in and not open hostility that's rooted in misinformation.
OCanada wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:28 am You have ego problems imo. Your reactions are out of proportion to the stimulus. The simplistic question “is it the coach or asst coach”is revealing. Some of our best players got their biggest push from someone else. You act as if God died snd left you in charge so you try snd control content and what is true or not true, way above your pay grade and knowledge.
I don't know what any of this means, to be honest. If you're accusing me of trying to get people to stay on topic and talk about lacrosse here in good faith, then yeah, you're right.
OCanada wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:28 am You never show anything like a receipt. Quoting rumors in publications that are not relevant to the point is weak.
I posted links from Ty Xanders and Chris Jastrzembski which clearly stated Nadelen was interviewed. Where are you receipts, exactly? This is another projection. The onus is on you to disprove what was publicly reported as fact.
HillsLax

Post by HillsLax »

Is it possible for those of you who snipe and complain about each other to find another forum in which to do so? I like to read about Hopkins lacrosse and not read what one poster thinks of another and what they have done wrong. Venting at anonymous people would not seem to be productive, or even healthy.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

HillsLax wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:54 pm Is it possible for those of you who snipe and complain about each other to find another forum in which to do so? I like to read about Hopkins lacrosse and not read what one poster thinks of another and what they have done wrong. Venting at anonymous people would not seem to be productive, or even healthy.
There's always the private message option.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HillsLax wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:54 pm Is it possible for those of you who snipe and complain about each other to find another forum in which to do so? I like to read about Hopkins lacrosse and not read what one poster thinks of another and what they have done wrong. Venting at anonymous people would not seem to be productive, or even healthy.
Well said.

I would note that the Hopkins thread, both in LaxPower and FanLax now, has always been full of internecine conflict from purported fans of the program sniping at one another, critical of the coaches, critical of the specific players, critical of the Administration, and those taking opposing points of view...we used to joke that "Hopkins fans eat their young". Didn't matter what coach or AD or President or player group...except when they won championships (which was pretty darn frequent!) the criticism would build...until the next championship....and then rinse and repeat.

On the other hand, much of the lacrosse discussion is terrifically well informed and it's clear that most participants care about the program. But they have wildly different takes on its history and promise. "If only they would do X, all would be great..."

I have no idea whether Milliman and this staff, this AD, or this President will be in place when Hopkins next wins a championship, but I wouldn't bet against that happening again...
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

this site crawls in the offseason. the hopkins thread is one of the few that pulls its weight. block people if you don't want to hear all they have to say.

there are guys with agendas right or wrong on here (not referencing these 2 just making an overall point and it's not unique to the hopkins thread... but maybe to all of us) and maybe they get called out.

if blocking isn't your thing... click, start to read and ignore, back click. just imo.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:24 pm this site crawls in the offseason. the hopkins thread is one of the few that pulls its weight. block people if you don't want to hear all they have to say.

there are guys with agendas right or wrong on here (not referencing these 2 just making an overall point and it's not unique to the hopkins thread... but maybe to all of us) and maybe they get called out.

if blocking isn't your thing... click, start to read and ignore, back click. just imo.
"The team has pathetically underachieved for the last decade+, Petro needed to go, PM hasn't delivered results but it's still early although it's nearing make or break time and it's great to have JK+JC back at homewood"-is about the view of 85 percent of Hopkins fans and has been for awhile. Theatrics on this site aside.

Hope you guys have fun next weekend and at least play nice in person.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Coaches or you? Its an easy call. Your Cornell statement ignores reality. Relationships. The lax network is extensive and deep and cuts across school lines.

My apologies to the readers. I don’t believe in “alternate facts” but in the grand scheme this does not latter
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

OCanada wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:51 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:56 am
OCanada wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:19 pm I reported what the coach said as i noted at the time for three coaches. Take your pick.
Sorry I missed that. What did the coaches say?
I essentially said three Hopkins grad lax head coaches said they were not contacted. Others doubt Greg Raymond was either. The impression on a larger scale is Hopkins did not want them back. Galloway might have gotten the job had he won a couple more games the previous year. He is coming on. Jen knew PM from Cornell and was apparently comfortable with him. A new AD isn’t likely inclined to go out on a limb.
This looks to me like an active attempt to change the culture. Hiring a coach who doesn't actually care about the program probably reduced stress on both JB and RD.
If Daniels goal was to tank the program, he's well on his way to achieving it. Let the program slip back and it's not a headache for him anymore. The problem is, once it tanks, it's hard to get it back up again. I suspect we're going to have to wait until he moves on before any realistic attempt is going to be made to bring our Lacrosse program back to prominence. Sorry I'm not more blindly optimistic, but I try to deal in realities.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Cordish, Cowan, Harrison, and Schwartzman are coaching the alumni next weekend vs. the varsity:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjOxnwNryNm/?hl=en

Word is that participation is pretty high this year. Anyone going?
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

LOL anyone who posts anything here gets attacked on this thread.
IF I posted "the sky is blue" I would get an argument.
This is probably not the Fanlax thread for you IMO.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:46 am
Pretty much what I've gotten from my time here is that nobody hates a Hopkins lacrosse fan as much as another Hopkins lacrosse fan...
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ph-s/60285

IL visits st joes.
-24 grad students or srs on the roster.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:02 am https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ph-s/60285

IL visits st joes.
Good team. Gave Yale everything they could handle in the tourney last season.

First game is official: AT Jacksonville on Feb. 4 at 7pm. Don't know Jax's TV/streaming deal — hopefully it's easily available.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i'm actually glad you brought this up.
violet. but it's not anybody's fault for misinterpreting:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/briankober ... 42ad735f39
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:35 pm
i'm actually glad you brought this up.
violet. but it's not anybody's fault for misinterpreting:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/briankober ... 42ad735f39
This raises deep philosophical questions of perception and reality.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:04 am
jhu06 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:02 am https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ph-s/60285

IL visits st joes.
Good team. Gave Yale everything they could handle in the tourney last season.

First game is official: AT Jacksonville on Feb. 4 at 7pm. Don't know Jax's TV/streaming deal — hopefully it's easily available.
they were youtube cbs sn or espn+ for ooc home games last year

https://judolphins.com/sports/mens-lacr ... edule/2022

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”