Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

primitiveskills wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:46 pm Regarding the goalie situation, I'm not really interested in overall save percentage. Having a defense that gives up more savable than unsavable shots is the key to overall percentage. Our problem for a long time (with the exception of some of Schneider's time and Brock's senior year) is that we can't seem to find someone who can stop 12-15 yard shots with any kind of frequency/ reliability. Give me that guy; I don't care of he never makes a flashy "miracle" save on something in close.
We might be saying the same thing, but I'd agree that 'flashy' isn't the key to winning, though coming up big when it counts most does matter. Making that last save or series of saves down the stretch when sphincters are tightest...

If your defense eliminates nearly all good angle shots, ala Loyola's championship year, the key is maintaining sound, steady technique, reducing angles, keeping hands quiet and not getting the yips. Mostly mental. Staying steady. Certainly needn't be flashy.

But that's just the ideal situation of a shut down defense. What Hopkins (and most teams) has needed is not actually all that unusual, though definitely precious, tenders who play well when the action is hot and heavy. Guys who inspire their team. That's not necessarily flashy saves, but it IS the save on the last shot to preserve the 1 goal victory, or the turnaround flurry of saves that spark the 3rd or 4th Q to enable a run by the offense to come from behind. Those tenders give their team confidence that they can come back from behind and that they can hold down the stretch.

These guys do achieve 50+% overall against top competition despite being under a lot of pressure with defenses that sometimes break down. Games under 50% need to be rare, though not non-existent. Games above 60% not a novelty, but definitely not required on a steady basis.

So much of this, though, is mental...much more than the physical differences, though obviously there are some occasional unusual specimens who give shooters fits ala Rogers.

But mental toughness and true confidence (not cockiness) are key.
And that requires a state of mind that is focused on beating the competition, meeting the moment, not worrying about upsetting a coach or other failure.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

get it to x wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:24 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:07 pm
Big Dog wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:40 pm
-fauci said today he doesn't see kids on campus this fall as a likely or smart outcome.
Uh, no, that is taken out of context. What he actually said was,

“In this case, the idea of having treatments available or a vaccine to facilitate the reentry of students into the fall term would be something that would be a bit of bridge too far,” Fauci said. “Even at top speed that we’re going, we don't see a vaccine playing in the ability of individuals to get back to school, this term. What they really want is to know if they are safe.”
That said, it's also clear that the testing won't be sufficient. The ~50 million monthly tests they're now promising (after lots of promise misses to date) still isn't nearly enough to actually provide the safety levels.

Of course, if we actually choked off the virus before reopening, that 50 million monthly could be pretty darn helpful to keeping it choked off until the vaccine. But that's not what the plan is.
Check out this chart. Maryland has no confirmed deaths for people under 30. The vast majority are fogies, like me.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/maryland ... s/31474817#
If I'm not mistaken, some big blooms in nursing homes.

That's actually quite a lot of cases, though, under 30 years old. Gotta remember that most identified cases to date have been those who presented as serious issues, not surveillance testing. It was very difficult to even obtain a test despite serious symptoms in the first month plus, unless you wanted to be admitted to the hospital and the doc agreed. It's still difficult.

And the illness can be very rough on those who do become seriously symptomatic, though not as immediately deadly for younger patients. We don't really know yet what the long term complications may be due to various organ damage.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Tue May 12, 2020 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

-fauci said today he doesn't see kids on campus this fall as a likely or smart outcome.

“In this case, the idea of having treatments available or a vaccine to facilitate the reentry of students into the fall term would be something that would be a bit of bridge too far,” Fauci said. “Even at top speed that we’re going, we don't see a vaccine playing in the ability of individuals to get back to school, this term. What they really want is to know if they are safe.”
That said, it's also clear that the testing won't be sufficient. The ~50 million monthly tests they're now promising (after lots of promise misses to date) still isn't nearly enough to actually provide the safety levels.

Of course, if we actually choked off the virus before reopening, that 50 million monthly could be pretty darn helpful to keeping it choked off until the vaccine. But that's not what the plan is.
Check out this chart. Maryland has no confirmed deaths for people under 30. The vast majority are fogies, like me.

You may want to have another look. They list deaths in the 20 range.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

AreaLax wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:19 pm

You may want to have another look. They list deaths in the 20 range.
The first # is cases, the second is deaths.
I think that says just one death under age 30 (not zero).
The table at the bottom, not the chart.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Drcthru wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:33 pm
Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:22 pm When I was at JHU in the 1970's, there was a JV Team. Given the fact that a number of high end programs could be carrying 60 people and will not play more than 25 or so in a game, why not consider temporarily reviving the JV game? I want the best team out on the field, but I also want to see what kids like Marcille, Burnett, and Hayden Fox can do. It gives more players a chance to be noticed, and any lax is good lax.

I'm sure there are dozens of reasons this is a dumb idea, but I don't see how having a (say) JHU v. NC JV game prior to the currently scheduled game would be a bad thing
Additional coaching and travel expenses to start. Locker facilities, practice field and equipment.
Which is why club ball has emerged. Kids pay for their own gear, travel, etc. But a very fun experience with a heck of a lot less pressure, if you love the game. And kids do get pulled in from club occasionally, try out again, etc.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:21 pm More than enough offensive talent in this incoming class to make up for a lighter year on the offensive end in 2021, which has several top-tier defenders and one of the best goalies in the class—hopefully most of those guys stay. Would rather it be that way than the other way around, where there's another logjam of attackmen and not enough quality defensemen.

The 2021 class is not done switching, lot of moving parts and wouldn't be shocked if we ourselves become the poachers now that A) the two decommits freed up some room and B) we've got JGJR in the foldd
All reasonable points - especially around the fact that JGJR could attract a commit or two. And believe me I want Grimes/McDermott/Bauer etc. to stay. But at the same time it's generally not a positive to have a class that has no contribution from the offensive end. When Murphy/Angelus/Grimes/McDermott leave who are the senior leaders on the offensive end that say give me the ball. Maybe we'll be in it for Truitt but I just have nightmares about the season where I think the senior class contributed 1 goal from Marshall Burkhart.

Interesting that you mention the word "poach". Petro had a strict policy against initiating contact with a player that had publicly committed to another school. I know this because I think twice I tried to get him to do it and he wouldn't. I wonder what the Prime Minister's policy will be on poaching?
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:12 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:46 pm Regarding the goalie situation, I'm not really interested in overall save percentage. Having a defense that gives up more savable than unsavable shots is the key to overall percentage. Our problem for a long time (with the exception of some of Schneider's time and Brock's senior year) is that we can't seem to find someone who can stop 12-15 yard shots with any kind of frequency/ reliability. Give me that guy; I don't care of he never makes a flashy "miracle" save on something in close.
We might be saying the same thing, but I'd agree that 'flashy' isn't the key to winning, though coming up big when it counts most does matter. Making that last save or series of saves down the stretch when sphincters are tightest...

If your defense eliminates nearly all good angle shots, ala Loyola's championship year, the key is maintaining sound, steady technique, reducing angles, keeping hands quiet and not getting the yips. Mostly mental. Staying steady. Certainly needn't be flashy.

But that's just the ideal situation of a shut down defense. What Hopkins (and most teams) has needed is not actually all that unusual, though definitely precious, tenders who play well when the action is hot and heavy. Guys who inspire their team. That's not necessarily flashy saves, but it IS the save on the last shot to preserve the 1 goal victory, or the turnaround flurry of saves that spark the 3rd or 4th Q to enable a run by the offense to come from behind. Those tenders give their team confidence that they can come back from behind and that they can hold down the stretch.

These guys do achieve 50+% overall against top competition despite being under a lot of pressure with defenses that sometimes break down. Games under 50% need to be rare, though not non-existent. Games above 60% not a novelty, but definitely not required on a steady basis.

So much of this, though, is mental...much more than the physical differences, though obviously there are some occasional unusual specimens who give shooters fits ala Rogers.

But mental toughness and true confidence (not cockiness) are key.
And that requires a state of mind that is focused on beating the competition, meeting the moment, not worrying about upsetting a coach or other failure.
I agree with all of this.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I do get a bit preachy at times though!
:oops:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:57 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 4:21 pm More than enough offensive talent in this incoming class to make up for a lighter year on the offensive end in 2021, which has several top-tier defenders and one of the best goalies in the class—hopefully most of those guys stay. Would rather it be that way than the other way around, where there's another logjam of attackmen and not enough quality defensemen.

The 2021 class is not done switching, lot of moving parts and wouldn't be shocked if we ourselves become the poachers now that A) the two decommits freed up some room and B) we've got JGJR in the foldd
All reasonable points - especially around the fact that JGJR could attract a commit or two. And believe me I want Grimes/McDermott/Bauer etc. to stay. But at the same time it's generally not a positive to have a class that has no contribution from the offensive end. When Murphy/Angelus/Grimes/McDermott leave who are the senior leaders on the offensive end that say give me the ball. Maybe we'll be in it for Truitt but I just have nightmares about the season where I think the senior class contributed 1 goal from Marshall Burkhart.

Interesting that you mention the word "poach". Petro had a strict policy against initiating contact with a player that had publicly committed to another school. I know this because I think twice I tried to get him to do it and he wouldn't. I wonder what the Prime Minister's policy will be on poaching?
Ideally the player does the initiating, however the new 'transfer portal' enables a player to declare themselves for approach, with the knowledge of their current coach. That's not 'poaching' in the same pejorative sense that I think Dave was right to avoid.
viper

Post by viper »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:42 pm
Wood Sticks 4ever wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:22 pm When I was at JHU in the 1970's, there was a JV Team. Given the fact that a number of high end programs could be carrying 60 people and will not play more than 25 or so in a game, why not consider temporarily reviving the JV game? I want the best team out on the field, but I also want to see what kids like Marcille, Burnett, and Hayden Fox can do. It gives more players a chance to be noticed, and any lax is good lax.

I'm sure there are dozens of reasons this is a dumb idea, but I don't see how having a (say) JHU v. NC JV game prior to the currently scheduled game would be a bad thing
16 is right, above, these guys appear to have been successful with tenders, so likely will be fully capable.

I remember coming over from Gilman and playing the Hopkins JV my senior year, early season warm-up. We beat them pretty handily but it was a good game. We were unusually good that year, so it was no slight to the Hop JV. If I'm not mistaken, guys did rise from the JV occasionally to the varsity and contribute significantly. Certainly was true at my college. Pretty regularly, allowing the varsity to carry fewer players, ala two goalies, etc.

JV's are gone now I believe across D1, but many schools do have active club teams that play darn good ball. and it's not unheard of for guys to get plucked up to varsity when needed or to be allowed to try out the following season.

Does Hop have a club team?
I remember the open tryouts for the "JV" squad in 80/81. I recall about 100 (maybe more?) underclassmen show up at 6AM on day 1 and are immediately tasked with a 3+ mile run starting from the Homewood Field circling the campus counter-clockwise. On the return past the dorms on Charles, over half of the kids just veer left back to their rooms. The remaining group bacame the JV team. There were a handful of future Varsity recruits and a whole lot of average (at best) players. After several spankings by MIAA squads over the following 4 weeks (or so) the JV squad disappeared from existence.

They do have a club team now. My eldest son had the pleasure of beating them on the few occasions his team played them.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 6:14 pm

That's actually quite a lot of cases, though, under 30 years old. Gotta remember that most identified cases to date have been those who presented as serious issues, not surveillance testing. It was very difficult to even obtain a test despite serious symptoms in the first month plus, unless you wanted to be admitted to the hospital and the doc agreed. It's still difficult.

And the illness can be very rough on those who do become seriously symptomatic, though not as immediately deadly for younger patients. We don't really know yet what the long term complications may be due to various organ damage.
The common flu is more dangerous for younger people. Why don't we close schools or make young people wear masks to school for the flu?

Put the ball on the dot and let's go. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Enough of the virus talk. It's a fun time to be a Jay, so let's talk about good things.

Given the size of the roster, and given that the team/admin seems to be doing things to make lax fun, I think we should start playing more games. Kinda like Duke does. Play some smaller schools mid-week in February. Helps spread playing time, helps blood younger guys, gives the team more time to jell ahead of May. The whole team likes it too, as they all get more stats from more games. I'm not saying we should drop any of the rivalry games with top end programs, just permanently add UMBC and someone else mid-week in February. Come to think of it, why not do a UA-sponsored Baltimore Big Five of Lacrosse, with a trophy and everything? Get MD, Hop, Towson, UMBC and Loyola to agree to play each other every year and give the team with the best record in the round-robin the "King of Baltimore" title (other than Omar Little, of course). Maybe play a double-header or two at Homewood or Unitas? I get the MD is more in DC than Baltimore and that Navy may feel left out, but still. Please tell me this wouldn't be great for the game in Baltimore as a whole?
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

get it to x wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:27 pm

The common flu is more dangerous for younger people. Why don't we close schools or make young people wear masks to school for the flu?

And your board certification in infectious diseases is from where??? :roll:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Drcthru wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:55 am

Trump University. :?

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 1:09 am
Drcthru wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 12:55 am

Trump University. :?

DocBarrister :|
+1,000,000 :lol:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Stop the politics and divisive BS please. Take it to Hamsterdam.
DMac

Post by DMac »

DMac and WOMBAT are in 100% agreement here.
Nuff said. :D
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

DMac wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:39 am DMac and WOMBAT are in 100% agreement here.
Nuff said. :D
:shock:
:D
viper

Post by viper »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:11 am Stop the politics and divisive BS please. Take it to Hamsterdam.
Wombat is a 'uniter'..... not a divider..... :D :D :D
Mightyjoe

Post by Mightyjoe »

viper wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:13 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:11 am Stop the politics and divisive BS please. Take it to Hamsterdam.
Wombat is a 'uniter'..... not a divider..... :D :D :D
You should all take some time off from this forum and pick it back up in the spring. May run out things to talk about.
The direction this country is going with the "virus", the boys will be lucky to see the field next spring let alone this fall.
I hope this doesn't happen but unfortunately it a strong possibility. This could have some major impact on the team as well. New coaches, new offense/defense schemes, new kids......when do you assess all of this if fall is out the window? Where and when do they build strong team chemistry if the fields aren't open? All the Freshman guys coming in that haven't played any organized lacrosse since last fall maybe last summer in some cases.....not good.
Whole thing SUCKS!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”