2020 Elections - Trump FIRED

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
dislaxxic

Re: 2020 Elections - Donald Trump Gets FIRED.

Post by dislaxxic »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:58 pmAfter the 2016 election, there was a good chance that Trump would be an accidental one term phenomenon. Had what would normally be The Loyal Opposition not become The Resistance, Trump's shortcomings would have undone him.
Crossfire Hurricane, the Russia hoax, the Mueller probe, then a petty, vindictive, baseless impeachment, solidified his support.
A hopeless impeachment forced GOP Senators to vote to keep him in office, then justify that support.
The tactics of Trump's opponents played a big part in growing & solidifying his support & frightening undecided or lukewarm supporters.
Conservatives saw Trump's rabid detractors as crazy as Trump. With Trump, they at least got policies & results they liked.
Trump struck a nerve with a large segment of the public who see him as the middle finger wave to the preachy, condescending, bi-coastal elites.
Deriding them as racists or nativists just drives more of them deeper into the Trump camp. Well played, TDS zealots
More edgy fiction from a real dyed-in-the-wool Trumpist. You really should write a book and go on the OAN/Breitbart circuit, you'd make a MINT.

Don't forget the Appendix about "What i learned From Mitch McConnell About Loyal Opposition". 8-)

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
old salt

Post by old salt »

dislaxxic wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:38 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:58 pmAfter the 2016 election, there was a good chance that Trump would be an accidental one term phenomenon. Had what would normally be The Loyal Opposition not become The Resistance, Trump's shortcomings would have undone him.
Crossfire Hurricane, the Russia hoax, the Mueller probe, then a petty, vindictive, baseless impeachment, solidified his support.
A hopeless impeachment forced GOP Senators to vote to keep him in office, then justify that support.
The tactics of Trump's opponents played a big part in growing & solidifying his support & frightening undecided or lukewarm supporters.
Conservatives saw Trump's rabid detractors as crazy as Trump. With Trump, they at least got policies & results they liked.
Trump struck a nerve with a large segment of the public who see him as the middle finger wave to the preachy, condescending, bi-coastal elites.
Deriding them as racists or nativists just drives more of them deeper into the Trump camp. Well played, TDS zealots
More edgy fiction from a real dyed-in-the-wool Trumpist. You really should write a book and go on the OAN/Breitbart circuit, you'd make a MINT.
PTDS
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:58 pm Trump struck a nerve with a large segment of the public who see him as the middle finger wave to the preachy, condescending, bi-coastal elites.
Right, because FoxNation would NEVER be preachy or condescending. :roll: FoxNation is just filled with humble folks like Pete Brown, who would never mock the libs, or anyone who doesn't share their views.

Keep voting for this guy, fine by me. The Bi-Coastal elites----and you're one of them------are richer than ever under Trump. Trump didn't give them the middle finger: he lined their pockets. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

It's TrumpNation that he gave the middle finger to, OS.

They're convinced that a guy who had Hillary Clinton at his wedding, is one of them. A man who has never put in an honest day's work in his life. A man who bought politicians like Giuliani all his life, and used Daddy's money to do it.

In the end, they have no one to blame but themselves. If FoxNation could spend one single hour of being honest with themselves? They'd see clear as day that Bernie Sanders was their man. But because they can't do that? They CHOSE a Hollywood BS illusion over concrete, simple governance that helps the common man.

You get it. You have figured out that the libs of the 70's (or Ross Perot, if you prefer) were right about the danger of union busting. Right about NAFTA. Right about Desert Storm. Right about waging pointless and endless wars while American infrastructure falls apart. Right that it's stupid for American taxpayers to pay to protect the EU....while EU citizens enjoy .gov health care because the US is stupid enough to be their military for them so that they can spend money on the people.

And on and on. Republican policies have royally screwed TrumpNation. And all Trump did, was make things worse. Now multinational corporations walk away tax free, while families who work hard pay their taxes for them.

Oh well. They don't want to hear it....so here we are.....
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Cooter wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:38 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:18 am Because of my disdain and repulsion from the core nativist, authoritarian, isolationist strains of Trumpism and the depredations of man-child himself, (yes, TDS), I was hoping this election would be a crushing, ignominious loss for him.

The numbers, while overwhelming and historic, fall short as the fever had not actually broken yet among 70 million voters and this election was not yet a rejection of the GOP enablers of Trump. The GOP has not yet been punished by the voters.

And yet, Trump appears determined to turn the loss into historical ignominy for himself, his toadies, and the cult followers.
A few weeks to check the result would just be a blink in the annals of history. :idea:

Your wanting to wreak revenge on people just because they believe differently than you is disgusting. You would fit in well with Stalin.
:lol: :roll:

Check what?
Trump lost YUGELY. It ain't close, get over it.

Cooter, what exactly do they believe in? Trump???

Or that Muslims are a danger to the USA...or that Mexicans are rapists...or that kids should be taken from their parents and put in cages...or that "American carnage' is because black folks are ungrateful?

Seriously, what do they believe in?

Sure, I want the toadies and cultists to pay a price for the damage they've done, to the country and the GOP itself. Ultimately, I want the country to heal, get back to treating each other with civility and empathy, though I'm not so naive as to imagine that will be simple or swift, and certainly not universal. But until Trumpism is disgraced ignominiously I don't see a lot of hope for that.

But, hey, Trump is certainly making it more and more possible that he will take his followers down ignominiously...
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:07 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:58 pm Trump struck a nerve with a large segment of the public who see him as the middle finger wave to the preachy, condescending, bi-coastal elites.
Right, because FoxNation would NEVER be preachy or condescending. :roll: FoxNation is just filled with humble folks like Pete Brown, who would never mock the libs, or anyone who doesn't share their views.

Keep voting for this guy, fine by me. The Bi-Coastal elites----and you're one of them------are richer than ever under Trump. Trump didn't give them the middle finger: he lined their pockets. They're laughing all the way to the bank.

They're convinced that a guy who had Hillary Clinton at his wedding, is one of them. A man who has never put in an honest day's work in his life. A man who bought politicians like Giuliani all his life, and used Daddy's money to do it.

In the end, they have no one to blame but themselves. If FoxNation could spend one single hour of being honest with themselves? They'd see clear as day that Bernie Sanders was their man. But because they can't do that? They CHOSE a Hollywood BS illusion over concrete, simple governance that helps the common man.

You get it. You have figured out that the libs of the 70's (or Ross Perot, if you prefer) were right about the danger of union busting. Right about NAFTA. Right about Desert Storm. Right about waging pointless and endless wars while American infrastructure falls apart. Right that it's stupid for American taxpayers to pay to protect the EU....while EU citizens enjoy .gov health care because the US is stupid enough to be their military for them so that they can spend money on the people.

And on and on. Republican policies have royally screwed TrumpNation. And all Trump did, was make things worse. Now multinational corporations walk away tax free, while families who work hard pay their taxes for them.

You're making my point for me. The Dems drove off the white working class voter more with their race baiting & condescending rhetoric, than with their policies. Although, open borders, offshoring & affirmative action did take away jobs.

The Dems joined the GOP in union busting by going all in for NAFTA & bringing China into the WTO. The unions needed to be restrained, not busted. They failed to join the quality revolution & didn't back off soon enough to keep US manufacturing competitive. Corrupt union leadership participated in their own demise.

In the '70's (or '90's), Perot & Buchanan were hardly liberals. ...& stop calling me a bi-coastal elite. I'm an Ozark hillbilly who was stationed on both coasts, then stranded on the E coast. Stranger in a strange land. :mrgreen:
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:33 pm

You're making my point for me. The Dems drove off the white working class voter more with their race baiting & condescending rhetoric, than with their policies. Although, open borders, offshoring & affirmative action did take away jobs.

The Dems joined the GOP in union busting by going all in for NAFTA & bringing China into the WTO. The unions needed to be restrained, not busted. They failed to join the quality revolution & didn't back off soon enough to keep US manufacturing competitive. Corrupt union leadership participated in their own demise.

In the '70's (or '90's), Perot & Buchanan were hardly liberals. ...& stop calling me a bi-coastal elite. I'm an Ozark hillbilly who was stationed on both coasts, then stranded on the E coast. Stranger in a strange land. :mrgreen:
Old Lee would disagree with you

But you probably know better than him.

“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:33 pm

This is a big part of what generates Trump supporters :
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/the-chump-effect/

The Chump Effect is Meigs’s clever term for the bipartisan, broadly shared feeling that various systems are rigged in favor of elites, insiders, and favored groups, which leads to a breakdown in societal trust and trust in institutions. If those guys don’t have to play by the rules, we think, why should I? Meigs delves into social-science experiments that show people motivated by the Chump Effect can act irrationally by effectively volunteering to pay a cost in order that others be punished for ignoring norms.

The political implications of the Chump Effect are obvious: Meigs begins with the story of a man who asked Elizabeth Warren if he, who scrimped to put his child through college, would be entitled to a refund under her proposed new system to forgive student loans. “Of course not,” was Warren’s response. The man was furious: He was being made a chump. Elites such as Warren blithely ignore the anger they generate among people who dutifully follow the rules every time they suggest a carve-out for whatever politically powerful group they seek to appease and flatter. “You’re laughing at me,” the man told Warren. In effect, she was, by suggesting a large class of people be rewarded for indolence, lack of discipline, poor planning, and miscalculating the cost-to-benefit ratio of higher education. A society that creates favored groups is a society that creates chumps, and a society of chumps is an angry society.
ggait

Re: 2020 Elections - Donald Trump FIRED

Post by ggait »

After the 2016 election, there was a good chance that Trump would be an accidental one term phenomenon.
Had what would normally be The Loyal Opposition not become The Resistance, Trump's shortcomings would have undone him.
It would be difficult to be more wrong than this.

The center left is doing pretty well -- just elected the new president. Trump is explained by the death of the center right.

Jeb Bush, Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney, John Kasich, John McCain and any other sane center rightie has retired, been defeated or banished to RINO/Never Trump oblivion. There's basically no one left in the GOP except for the crazies. Jim Jordan, Matt Gaetz and Devin Nunes all still doing fine. Look at what Lindsey Graham had to do to in order to survive in today's GOP.

What started with the Tea Party came into full bloom with Trump's hostile takeover of the GOP in 2016. While Trumpism is a demographic dead-end, the GOP can't compete without (per LG) the declining number of angry old white guys. The center right GOP is stuck -- can't live with the crazies but can't live without them either.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:02 pm
dislaxxic wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:38 pm
PTDS
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
smoova

Post by smoova »

I despise Trump, but OldSquid is correct: Trump's greatest allure is his supreme imperfection. He is a bigoted, draft-dodging, womanizing, self-centered, lying, tax cheat and an absolutely miserable leader. However, because of these many imperfections, he is fundamentally incapable of judging his base. In fact, many of the most loyal in Trump's base are inspired and gratified that their own failings are actually embraced and excused by the President's very actions. These same folks feel judged and demeaned by the Democrats at every turn. When that judgement is correct, it is even more offensive. Shame has proven to be a very poor change motivator in modern Americans.

Beat Navy
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

smoova wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:24 pm
I despise Trump, but OldSquid is correct: Trump's greatest allure is his supreme imperfection. He is a bigoted, draft-dodging, womanizing, self-centered, lying, tax cheat and an absolutely miserable leader. However, because of these many imperfections, he is fundamentally incapable of judging his base. In fact, many of the most loyal in Trump's base are inspired and gratified that their own failings are actually embraced and excused by the President's very actions. These same folks feel judged and demeaned by the Democrats at every turn. When that judgement is correct, it is even more offensive. Shame has proven to be a very poor change motivator in modern Americans.

Beat Navy
Well said and makes sense, though I'm not sure Trump's recognition of his appeal of his base is particularly relevant. (Though I could just not understand your point). Perhaps he actually does realize that those traits (through his twisted lens) are indeed why he claimed he could shoot someone on 5th Ave...he operates with a wink and a nod at the worst impulses of the populace, embracing them in himself as being 'manly', 'smart', 'shrewd', 'no chump', etc. But he also recognized, whether consciously or just instinctually, the deep reservoir of angry bigotry under the surface in much of our society and he fed that bigotry with red meat, coming down the elevator and thereafter...

But yes, shame is not the best motivator...though it does tend to keep a lid on the worst impulses. Right now we're living in a near no-shame world with nearly half the country, and more so in some regions,...where even pedophiles are preferable to a Democrat in the eyes of many...

The psychologists tell us that the best way to defeat bigotry and bias is for greater exposure to others, the more different the culture the better, which not only provides one greater perspective, but also actually expands the ways our brain makes connections with additional new information.

Not sure how we help that happen more for those in our society who are hunkered down in their homogeneous social silos, but that's apparently what works best...

chuckle re Beat Navy!
old salt

Post by old salt »

ggait wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:01 pm
After the 2016 election, there was a good chance that Trump would be an accidental one term phenomenon.
Had what would normally be The Loyal Opposition not become The Resistance, Trump's shortcomings would have undone him.

The center left is doing pretty well -- just elected the new president. Trump is explained by the death of the center right.

Jeb Bush, Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney, John Kasich, John McCain and any other sane center rightie has retired, been defeated or banished to RINO/Never Trump oblivion. There's basically no one left in the GOP except for the crazies. Jim Jordan, Matt Gaetz and Devin Nunes all still doing fine. Look at what Lindsey Graham had to do to in order to survive in today's GOP.

What started with the Tea Party came into full bloom with Trump's hostile takeover of the GOP in 2016. While Trumpism is a demographic dead-end, the GOP can't compete without (per LG) the declining number of angry old white guys. The center right GOP is stuck -- can't live with the crazies but can't live without them either.
What you're talking about is the state of play in 2020.
I'm talking about the prospects when Trump came into office in 2016.

I just hope there's an opportunity to Beat Navy this season.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Beat Navy
"I despise Trump, but OldSquid is correct: Trump's greatest allure is his supreme imperfection. He is a bigoted, draft-dodging, womanizing, self-centered, lying, tax cheat and an absolutely miserable leader. However, because of these many imperfections, he is fundamentally incapable of judging his base"

That is the very reason trump was a democrat for most of his life. I am still waiting for a logical explanation from the FLP folks here on this particular topic. Why did the FLP know it all types in NYC and NYS never once turn down trumps money when he was freely handing it out like candy at trick or treat? Even HRC and her hubby showed up at trumps wedding all laughing and smiling and happy for him. So you FLP pricks enabled trump and took his money for decades. You suddenly only become indignant about the mother effer once he becomes POTUS running as a republican. Why the eff were you all not repudiating him when he was financing your people and supporting your party? Why the eff did NBC give the mother effer his own reality show? They sure as hell looked the other way when trumps was making them a chitload full of money. Yeah you folks all loved trump until it was time to hate him. The only person who consistently always hated trump from the get go was Wahoo Murph. Where did he go? Does anybody know? I miss his rather gruff opinion.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:49 pm
ggait wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:01 pm

What you're talking about is the state of play in 2020.
I'm talking about the prospects when Trump came into office in 2016.
I think you both are.
Trump defeated the center right in the primaries and then proceeded to make war upon them through his hold on the hard core base. It wasn't instantaneous, but it was methodical as hell.

Trump and Trumpism had a whole lot of flash points that called out to anyone of principle in the GOP to stand up in opposition, and that provided an opportunity for Trump to identify for the base who needed to be washed out of the Trump Party and who was to be embraced for their 'loyalty'. Your notion that the Russia and then Ukraine related factors were what drew that base's support is simply one of many flash points, hardly the most impactful from the base's perspective. Were those the issues that drew the ire at McCain or Flake or...?

Here's the thing, we just had a historically large defeat of a one term loser. The GOP is left a hollow shell, filled with the "crazies" who have not a shred of coherent ideology, with an angry, spiteful base that, as ggait describe, is a demographic dead-end.

Can the rational folks regain control of that Party and rebuild a coherent conservative appeal? Can Dems find ways to appeal to white working class voters better, without resorting to the sorts of bias that would lose them their younger, more diverse base?

Remains to be seen.
But the GOP is in deep-sh-t if it doesn't find a better path.

I'm not taking sides on Navy v Army!
Family members who went to Annapolis, friends who went to West Point...but I do love going to the game...
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:58 pm The political implications of the Chump Effect are obvious: Meigs begins with the story of a man who asked Elizabeth Warren if he, who scrimped to put his child through college, would be entitled to a refund under her proposed new system to forgive student loans. “Of course not,” was Warren’s response. The man was furious: He was being made a chump. Elites such as Warren blithely ignore the anger they generate among people who dutifully follow the rules every time they suggest a carve-out for whatever politically powerful group they seek to appease and flatter. “You’re laughing at me,” the man told Warren. In effect, she was, by suggesting a large class of people be rewarded for indolence, lack of discipline, poor planning, and miscalculating the cost-to-benefit ratio of higher education. A society that creates favored groups is a society that creates chumps, and a society of chumps is an angry society.[/i]
You unwittingly explained the Republican voter in 2020. The Chump Effect doesn't finish the math. Republican voters don't want to stop the bennies that they get....they want to stop "other people" from getting benefits that they don't get.

This guy is mad because "other people" are getting a benefit that he doesn't get. He'd be fine if he thought he got that Bennie, and others didn't.

Now how hard do you think I'd have to dig to find a benefit that that man gets that others don't get?

One example that I know for certain? He got tax breaks for 18 straight freaking years because he has a daughter.

Now explain to me: why does he get that financial bennie, when childlish couple doesn't?

Sadly, Liz and the folks at FoxNews aren't sharp enough to ask that man if he enjoyed the tax credits that allowed him to save college money in the first place. ;)

So we're back to what I keep saying: either no one gets any bennies at all, or don't complain when someone else gets a single bennie you don't. Pick one. Republican voters simply want to keep their handouts, and cut everyone else off. Yeah----get bent, pal. That's my answer to that man.

Look at the comments in the ChumpEffect clip. These commenters don't get it either. I'd bet I could tear every one of them apart, and show hundreds of thousands of dollars of bennies and handouts that they've gotten.

Hey angry dad: did your daughter go to a public University? :lol: Guess what, pal? You took taxpayer money that I didn't. I went private.

Cut 'em all off, is my answer. Then they'll be happy, right? :roll:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62i2feu9fxk&t
old salt

Post by old salt »

Are you certain he qualified for the EITC & how many years was it avail to him ?

EITC & SNAP was available to everyone who qualified.

EITC or SNAP to student debt forgivess is not a valid comparison.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Beat Navy
Salty has a POINT. I live in Bumcluck Ohio and there is a huge amount of resentment for coastal elites here.

Typical Lax Dad

3rdPersonPlural wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:25 pm

Beat Navy
Salty has a POINT. I live in Bumcluck Ohio and there is a huge amount of resentment for coastal elites here.

Too many people in Ohio making $90,000 a year believe they can think like Paul Tudor Jones
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:31 pm
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:25 pm

Beat Navy

Too many people in Ohio making $90,000 a year believe they can think like Paul Tudor Jones
The problem with America, or the great advantage for entities trying to push back against social movements, is that at least 70 million voters see themselves as temporarily embarrassed multi millionaires.https://jacobinmag.com/2018/05/american ... ics-piston
Last edited by 3rdPersonPlural on Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Return to “POLITICS”