Orange Duce

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Orange Duce

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ggait wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:13 pm
Yep. And NONE of them are going to get DOPUS-level turnout either no matter what they say or do, so they are likely screwed at least in presidential elections going forward.
You are probably wrong about that.

There's still a LOT of state level GOP control in the swing states. The GOP can still win those states in the next couple of cycles -- so long as you make voting more difficult in those states. Which is already under way -- more voter ID, less drop boxes, less mail voting, etc.
Yep. Suppression efforts will kick into high gear.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ggait wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:32 pm
That said, I really think Trump would prefer to have his own party, his own media empire, no one not 100% loyal welcome to the party.
Sure. But starting your own party (or TV network) would require a plan and a lot of focus, work and money. None of which Trump is willing to invest.

Especially because it is soooo much easier and cheaper for Trump to continue to hold the GOP hostage and chase out the few remaining RINOs. Although a little bit harder now that he can't use Twitter.
Yeah, it's really about the doh re me. Which is gonna be under a ton of pressure these next two-three years. A separate party gives him a play in that regard, I think, that doesn't happen as easily within the GOP, IMO. Not after so many GOP officials didn't bend the knee when push came to shove for them to break the law.

And with the new party play comes the media play, demonizing every other source of news. Anyone with an allegiance to either party, including Fox, becomes the adversary of the Trumpist.

Now, without Twitter and without the ability to run, IMO he'll ultimately fall flat out on the media play as the investors won't back him and no one needs to grease him....except for that separate party possibility...but that too I think withers under the dynamics that drive two-party alignments. But he'll be playing for time...one day at a time...remember he's a day trader at best, no 3 dimensional chess being played in reality...he's never really had a
"a plan and a lot of focus, work and money" (except for OPM). And he's delusional as all get out...
njbill

Post by njbill »

Jason Miller says T**** isn't going third party. Makes sense at one level. If he does, he loses lots (almost all?) power to be a king maker in the GOP. Lots of state, House, and Senate Rs will want to stay in the R party where they are warm and comfy rather than strike out to join some just-getting-off-the-ground-if-it-ever-does Patriot Party.

Who knows? Could he still pull strings in the R party if he's a P?

Anyone wanna bet that the newly minted "Office of the Former President" gets renamed pronto? Can't see Donnie cottonin' up to the word "Former" too long.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Jason Miller says T**** isn't going third party.
Obviously. Like he always does, Trump is just trolling and making empty threats.

Trump still controls a serious majority of the GOP. After the riot, 147 (!!) GOP House members still voted to overturn the electoral college votes. So Trump would be an idiot to tilt at the windmill of a third party. So much easier and cheaper to drive out the Portmans and Cheneys.

GOP has a hard time winning with Trump. But a much harder time winning without him.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Andy Ryan@ItsAndyRyan
1 hour ago
Republicans: We are the law and order party

Republicans: While a President is in office you cannot hold him responsible for crimes he may have committed

Republicans: Also not after he has left office
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Donny Dump's new home:

https://i.imgur.com/FpdeJxe.png
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

TRUMP YOU PATHETIC LOSER GO BACK TO MOSCOW

A beautiful sky In FLORIDA

Send the traitor where he belongs - in Moscow or, better yet, in prison.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:36 pm
Yep. And NONE of them are going to get DOPUS-level turnout either no matter what they say or do, so they are likely screwed at least in presidential elections going forward.

There's still a LOT of state level GOP control in the swing states. The GOP can still win those states in the next couple of cycles -- so long as you make voting more difficult in those states. Which is already under way -- more voter ID, less drop boxes, less mail voting, etc.
Suppression efforts?? As Ronald Reagan would put it... "there you go again" You still checking for monsters under your bed before you go to sleep at night? Those newer LED flashlights are even brighter than before. You can spot those boogey men no matter where they hide. :D
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:04 am

Suppression efforts?? As Ronald Reagan would put it... "there you go again" You still checking for monsters under your bed before you go to sleep at night? Those newer LED flashlights are even brighter than before. You can spot those boogey men no matter where they hide. :D
cradle, you must not be up on the actions being taken in Georgia, Texas, Arizona etc by the GOP.

Yup, suppression. Full speed.

IMO, it's exactly the wrong tack to be taking, a betrayal of the roots of the party on the side of equal justice and opportunity, but it's the reality of today's GOP that it has been overtaken by white fear. Been decades in the transition, but full bloom today.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:11 am

cradle, you must not be up on the actions being taken in Georgia, Texas, Arizona etc by the GOP.

IMO, it's exactly the wrong tack to be taking, a betrayal of the roots of the party on the side of equal justice and opportunity, but it's the reality of today's GOP that it has been overtaken by white fear. Been decades in the transition, but full bloom today.
Our nation just had 85 million people vote for Biden and 75 million people vote for dump. Yepper, sure sounds like voter suppression is in full swing. :roll: If your republican friends are trying to suppress the vote the objective is to have less people turn out to vote, not more. :lol: Were there some hinky things done in republican districts, yes. Were there some hinky things done in the counting of absentee ballots, yes. So me insert my own opinion here... there is no voter fraud, if you listen to the democrats. There is no voter suppression if you listen to republicans. When you have just had a record number of people in this country vote for a POTUS it sounds pretty silly to start squealing about voter suppression. You think Joltin Joe should have wound up with 86 million votes? You think YOUR republicans will ever be happy with the massive amounts of votes via paper ballots that came in for Joltin Joe at the very end? A lot of this stuff sounds hinky, especially to the other side. I have one question for you, if every swinging richard in this country that was eligible voted, would there still be a case made for voter suppression? ;) I'm betting you could could still find one. ;)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:29 am

Our nation just had 85 million people vote for Biden and 75 million people vote for dump. Yepper, sure sounds like voter suppression is in full swing. :roll: If your republican friends are trying to suppress the vote the objective is to have less people turn out to vote, not more. :lol: Were there some hinky things done in republican districts, yes. Were there some hinky things done in the counting of absentee ballots, yes. So me insert my own opinion here... there is no voter fraud, if you listen to the democrats. There is no voter suppression if you listen to republicans. When you have just had a record number of people in this country vote for a POTUS it sounds pretty silly to start squealing about voter suppression. You think Joltin Joe should have wound up with 86 million votes? You think YOUR republicans will ever be happy with the massive amounts of votes via paper ballots that came in for Joltin Joe at the very end? A lot of this stuff sounds hinky, especially to the other side. I have one question for you, if every swinging richard in this country that was eligible voted, would there still be a case made for voter suppression? ;)
Again, cradle, you must not be aware of the GOP efforts in numerous states SINCE the massive turnout in 2020. Changed laws to suppress ease of voting. Including Georgia just yesterday.

You're correct that the GOP is freaked out by the impact of that turnout, apparently they don't believe they can win (they just lost a number of unexpected races) unless they suppress a specific portion of the electorate.

Again, I think this is exactly the wrong tack for the long run health of the party...but these folks are barely looking beyond the tip of their noses and the swell of their bellies right now.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:37 am

Our nation just had 85 million people vote for Biden and 75 million people vote for dump. Yepper, sure sounds like voter suppression is in full swing. :roll: If your republican friends are trying to suppress the vote the objective is to have less people turn out to vote, not more. :lol: Were there some hinky things done in republican districts, yes. Were there some hinky things done in the counting of absentee ballots, yes. So me insert my own opinion here... there is no voter fraud, if you listen to the democrats. There is no voter suppression if you listen to republicans. When you have just had a record number of people in this country vote for a POTUS it sounds pretty silly to start squealing about voter suppression. You think Joltin Joe should have wound up with 86 million votes? You think YOUR republicans will ever be happy with the massive amounts of votes via paper ballots that came in for Joltin Joe at the very end? A lot of this stuff sounds hinky, especially to the other side. I have one question for you, if every swinging richard in this country that was eligible voted, would there still be a case made for voter suppression? ;)
Again, cradle, you must not be aware of the GOP efforts in numerous states SINCE the massive turnout in 2020. Changed laws to suppress ease of voting. Including Georgia just yesterday.

You're correct that the GOP is freaked out by the impact of that turnout, apparently they don't believe they can win (they just lost a number of unexpected races) unless they suppress a specific portion of the electorate.

Again, I think this is exactly the wrong tack for the long run health of the party...but these folks are barely looking beyond the tip of their noses and the swell of their bellies right now.
More votes by the millions don't add up to voter suppression. I'm pretty good at math and your trying to find problems where they do not exist. I'm sure your republican friends will keep b******g about voter fraud. The game goes on and on and on, where it stops, nobody knows. Voter suppression/voter fraud... flip a freaking coin or something and decide what problem is worse. Where there is hinky stuff, call it out. There are these people called mainstream media and investigative reporters. They kind of make a living calling this stuff out.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:46 am

More votes by the millions don't add up to voter suppression. I'm pretty good at math and your trying to find problems where they do not exist. I'm sure your republican friends will keep b******g about voter fraud. The game goes on and on and on, where it stops, nobody knows. Voter suppression/voter fraud... flip a freaking coin or something and decide what problem is worse. Where there is hinky stuff, call it out. There are these people called mainstream media and investigative reporters. They kind of make a living calling this stuff out.
Being done...which is what this discussion is about. Much of the GOP is scrambling to try to reduce voting access for the next round of elections.

No, fraud is not a serious problem, though every instance of fraud should be treated very seriously and prosecuted as such.

Preventing fraud by good detection systems is appropriate, discouraging by prosecuting actual attempts is very helpful. However, making voting harder to do, especially for low income people is not appropriate (for fraud prevention).

Back to the last election, yes you can have massive turnout AND targeted voter suppression simultaneously. All that the turnout shows is that motivation was extremely high and, despite voter suppression efforts, that motivation level was sufficient to increase turnout.

For instance, while there's no question that moving the sole polling station in a small city to a new location beyond public transit access is an effort to suppress the votes of those who rely on public transportation, overall turnout in the region may nevertheless rise.

Same for creating a polling situation in which there are fewer machines per capita for a dense county than a rural one. Or creating a requirement that you must get in line by party affiliation with the same # of machines provided per party despite many, many more of one party in that district...creating many hour waits in line for the party with lots of voters, short lines in districts dominated by the other party. People with two jobs, single working parents can afford less waiting time than voters with more freedom, and/or speedier access.

all were done in 2020, yet motivation was so extremely high that voters voted neverthelss...in large part because they were able to cast their ballots by mail...oh my, can't allow that, right? So, they tried to slow the mail down, don't count unless arrived by Election Day, reduced drop boxes to make it harder to be sure your vote was received...yet, many, many people were successful in voting. Very little fraud actually occurred despite all the hand wringing by the party hoping the voting wouldn't happen.

So, what to do, what to do?
Yup legislate to reduce or eliminate voting by mail, make it much more difficult to do....
ggait

Post by ggait »

CS -- all those Georgia elections were very close. So if you implement some new voter suppression laws that reduce the Dem vote just a little bit, you can flip outcomes.

Which is exactly what the GA GOP is trying to do:

The Republican caucus in the state Senate was among the first to call for big changes. It wants to end no-excuse absentee voting, which was introduced by a Republican-controlled legislature in 2005. Members also want to ban ballot drop boxes and implement a photo ID requirement for voters that have a specific excuse to vote absentee.

TBH, it is pretty inefficient to run multiple track voting paths at the same time -- early voting plus election day voting plus mail in voting. The 2020 pandemic election proved that. Which is why eventually most places will gravitate to primarily universal mail in voting. It is the obvious best solution -- convenient, secure and cost-effective.

But as you can see in Georgia, the quest for partisan advantage will keep common sense best practices from being implemented.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

There has for years been an active program to suppress the vote by the Republican party. The whole notion of voter ID in picture form came from that effort (never mind to register to vote the voter had to have some sort of qualifying identification). Tying it to a driver's license allowed the suppression of urban voters (some of whom don't drive as if you live in the right cities that really is not necessary, or if you are too poor) over suburban voters who would have cars/licenses, and until recently leaned hard R.

The Rs in 1982 were forced into a consent decree over the use of paid law enforcement and other intimidation tactics where D votes were much more likely that only was undone recently. I could come up with many hundreds of local examples of voter intimidation, suppression, caging, etc.

There is a LONG history of this by the Republican party. And the efforts get even more bold and more overt as time goes on...
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:37 am Donny Dump's new home:

Three hots and a cot all subsidized by the taxpayer!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:35 am
Brooklyn wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:37 am Donny Dump's new home:

Three hots and a cot all subsidized by the taxpayer!

We'll generously provide him with daily rations of bread and water. But he will have to supply his own soap on a rope and Vaseline.

SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Cradle, don't confuse voter suppression with voter motivation. If I had to I would have spent hours on a voting line in order to vote for anyone but Trump or his sycophants, and I'm sure the sheer number of voters was as large as it was for the same reason.

I don't live in a state or county that felt the need to reduce vote by mail drop boxes or early voting sites to a ridiculously low number in order to try to keep those motivated voters to a minimum. Fortunately for the country that tactic didn't work.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:10 pm

Cradle, don't confuse voter suppression with voter motivation. If I had to I would have spent hours on a voting line in order to vote for anyone but Trump or his sycophants, and I'm sure the sheer number of voters was as large as it was for the same reason.

I don't live in a state or county that felt the need to reduce vote by mail drop boxes or early voting sites to a ridiculously low number in order to try to keep those motivated voters to a minimum. Fortunately for the country that tactic didn't work.
... exactly. CS just wants to argue for its own sake. :roll:
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Take George Stephanopoulos' word for it..

George: @ 6:18 "there was not enough fraud to overturn the election". Freudian slip?

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

Return to “POLITICS”