Sexual Assault ~ Weinstein, Epstein, etc.

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
DocBarrister

Re: Sexual Assault ~ Weinstein, Epstein, etc.

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:13 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:50 pm Read the article linked - the governor of USVI fired her - not Biden:
I guess I didn't realize that you guys would buy this.

You think that Biden didn't green light this firing? That Garland didn't know it was coming?

Simple way to tell, I guess: if Biden flips out and sends Garland in to finish the job, you'll know he didn't know.

If he sits back and does nothing? You'll know he knew, and wants this to go away.
Biden respects the independence of the DOJ. It’s one reason he appointed Garland as AG.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
a fan

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:44 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:13 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:50 pm Read the article linked - the governor of USVI fired her - not Biden:
I guess I didn't realize that you guys would buy this.

You think that Biden didn't green light this firing? That Garland didn't know it was coming?

Simple way to tell, I guess: if Biden flips out and sends Garland in to finish the job, you'll know he didn't know.

If he sits back and does nothing? You'll know he knew, and wants this to go away.
Biden respects the independence of the DOJ. It’s one reason he appointed Garland as AG.

DocBarrister
If that's true? Either Garland will step in to appoint a new prosecutor, or Biden will do it himself.

Because firing a prosecutor for opening a case is the opposite of a "independent" DoJ. It's allowing a politician to make calls, and that's not ok.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:20 pm Blindsiding your boss is never a good idea
DocB is telling us that the USVI Governor isn't this woman's boss, and the DoJ is independent.

He's wrong, obviously.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:54 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:20 pm Blindsiding your boss is never a good idea
DocB is telling us that the USVI Governor isn't this woman's boss, and the DoJ is independent.

He's wrong, obviously.
I said no such thing. My post is a couple of spaces above. How can you blatantly lie like that? What’s the matter with you?

Anyway, the fired AG is the USVI AG. In some jurisdictions, the governor can fire the AG. In some, the AG is an independently elected official.

Don’t know what the fuss is about. Firing an AG is never a good thing, but it happens sometimes. Don’t know what the full story is here, so can’t really judge.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

In case someone missed this story which hasn’t received any coverage at all….

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 5.html?amp
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:14 pm

He's wrong, obviously.
I said no such thing. My post is a couple of spaces above. How can you blatantly lie like that? What’s the matter with you?
My issue is that I understand what a syllogism is. They skip that in law school?

You claimed:
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:14 pm Biden respects the independence of the DOJ.
And yet the Biden's DoJ clearly isn't independent. If it was, a politician couldn't fire them for doing their job....for not letting a Governor know first about a suit.

So you've got two choices. Either Biden doesn't give a sh*t about the independence of the DoJ, and this case is dead.

Or you're right, and Biden will flip out, and Garland will appoint a bulldog to finish this lawsuit on the behalf of the people.

No middle ground. We'll find out soon enough.
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:14 pm Don’t know what the fuss is about. Firing an AG is never a good thing, but it happens sometimes.
:lol: Ten seconds ago, you were claiming that Biden respects the independence of the DoJ. They still teach "the appearance of impropriety" at the BAR, Doc? If this kills the suit against Morgan for Child Trafficking------do you have any idea how bad that looks to regular ol' Americans like me?

But sure, "happens sometimes". :roll:
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:14 pm

He's wrong, obviously.
My issue is that I understand what a syllogism is. They skip that in law school?

You claimed:
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:14 pm Biden respects the independence of the DOJ.
And yet the Biden's DoJ clearly isn't independent. If it was, a politician couldn't fire them for doing their job....for not letting a Governor know first about a suit.

So you've got two choices. Either Biden doesn't give a sh*t about the independence of the DoJ, and this case is dead.

Or you're right, and Biden will flip out, and Garland will appoint a bulldog to finish this lawsuit on the behalf of the people.

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:14 pm Don’t know what the fuss is about. Firing an AG is never a good thing, but it happens sometimes.
:lol: Ten seconds ago, you were claiming that Biden respects the independence of the DoJ. They still teach "the appearance of impropriety" at the BAR, Doc? If this kills the suit against Morgan for Child Trafficking------do you have any idea how bad that looks to regular ol' Americans like me?

Does anyone know if the AG’s boss’ legal team came to the conclusion that the suit isn’t credible and told the AG not to pursue it but the AG pushed forward anyway? Me neither….time will tell.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

He's wrong, obviously.

You claimed:

Do you actually not understand that the USVI AG is a territory official of the USVI Department of Justice and is appointed by the USVI governor with confirmation by the USVI legislature?

The USVI AG is not a federal official appointed by POTUS or controlled by AG Garland. The USVI AG is like a state AG appointed by a state governor.

:roll:

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:41 pm

He's wrong, obviously.

You claimed:

Do you actually not understand that the USVI AG is a territory official of the USVI Department of Justice and is appointed by the USVI governor with confirmation by the USVI legislature?

The USVI AG is not a federal official appointed by POTUS or controlled by AG Garland. The USVI AG is like a state AG appointed by a state governor.

:roll:

It’s not equivalent to Comey being fired but it is not a good look. Time will tell what becomes of it…. Using YA’s logic, maybe the Governor is trying to make Biden look bad….just putting it out there…..
a fan

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:41 pm Do you actually not understand that the USVI AG is a territory official of the USVI Department of Justice and is appointed by the USVI governor with confirmation by the USVI legislature?
:lol: So when you claimed that the Biden DoJ was "independent".....you were wrong?

Say it ain't so, Doc. I can't BELIEVE you were wrong about something.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:49 pm It’s not equivalent to Comey being fired but it is not a good look.
Yes. Not a good look at all. Garland should be revving in the red right about now.

He better get on this, and quick.
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:01 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:49 pm It’s not equivalent to Comey being fired but it is not a good look.
Yes. Not a good look at all. Garland should be revving in the red right about now.

Is this within Garland’s purview? If people committed crimes they should be investigated and prosecuted. I don’t know enough about the settlement the USVI AG reached earlier and the JP Morgan suit. I would like to hear the Governor’s reasoning for firing the AG. Does anyone have a reason other than Joe told her to fire the AG?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:00 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:41 pm Do you actually not understand that the USVI AG is a territory official of the USVI Department of Justice and is appointed by the USVI governor with confirmation by the USVI legislature?
:lol: So when you claimed that the Biden DoJ was "independent".....you were wrong?

Say it ain't so, Doc. I can't BELIEVE you were wrong about something.
My post only commented on Biden, the U.S. DOJ, and AG Garland.

I haven’t seen enough information about the USVI situation, so I wasn’t commenting on it.

You need to get a basic understanding of facts before you start lashing out at people. It’s quite unseemly.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:20 pm

Is this within Garland’s purview? If people committed crimes they should be investigated and prosecuted. I don’t know enough about the settlement the USVI AG reached earlier and the JP Morgan suit. I would like to hear the Governor’s reasoning for firing the AG. Does anyone have a reason other than Joe told her to fire the AG?
The firing of the USVI AG doesn’t fall under AG Garland’s authority. Just like the firing of a state AG by a state governor wouldn’t directly implicate his authority or oversight.

Only way it might is if the firing somehow violated a federal law (e.g., the firing was done to further some sort of criminal act or the bank bribed the USVI governor).

Again, don’t know enough information to judge, but this USVI case smacks of local politics or personal differences between the USVI AG and governor.

We’ll see once more facts come out.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:37 pm

The firing of the USVI AG doesn’t fall under AG Garland’s authority. Just like the firing of a state AG by a state governor wouldn’t directly implicate his authority or oversight.

Only way it might is if the firing somehow violated a federal law (e.g., the firing was done to further some sort of criminal act or the bank bribed the USVI governor).

Again, don’t know enough information to judge, but this USVI case smacks of local politics or personal differences between the USVI AG and governor.

DocBarrister
I didn’t think this was within Garland’s bailiwick. I wouldn’t mine seeing why the government felt compelled to fire the AG. I doubt it is “Joe told me to do it”… but stranger things have happened.

Found this: https://viconsortium.com/vi-government/ ... erminated-
a fan

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:31 pm You need to get a basic understanding of facts before you start lashing out at people. It’s quite unseemly.
You need to get a basic understanding of logic before you make claims that are clearly wrong.

You told me, for the second time, that, and I quote Biden respects the independence of the DOJ.

That's YOUR claim, Doc. Shooting your mouth off because of Biden's little D by his name.

The FACT is: a politician fired the region's AG just days after filing suit in NY against a major scandal that has hit his Island. it's in his interest to make this all go away.

Appearance of impropriety is through the roof, Doc. But by all means, try and dazzle this citizen with your partisan monkey muffins about how there's some dumb excuse as to why it was ok for this politician to get involved with the DoJ.

Either Garland steps in and makes this right, or the DoJ isn't independent, and Justice depends on the whims of a politician....which is contrary to your above claim.

No middle ground, sorry mate.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:44 pm

DocBarrister
I didn’t think this was within Garland’s bailiwick. I wouldn’t mine seeing why the government felt compelled to fire the AG. I doubt it is “Joe told me to do it”… but stranger things have happened.

Well, then the paper is wrong. They're claiming the suit was filed in a Manhattan Federal Court. Who else is in charge of our Federal prosecutions?
Typical Lax Dad

a fan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:56 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:44 pm

DocBarrister

Well, then the paper is wrong. They're claiming the suit was filed in a Manhattan Federal Court. Who else is in charge of our Federal prosecutions?
I don’t know. I don’t know Island politics and structure. I was hoping someone could point to a document. Can Garland assign a prosecutor to pick up the Virgin Island case?

EDIT: https://www.virginislandsdailynews.com/ ... 03304.html
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

I had a lot of good drinks and conch fritters in the USVI. Met some pretty girls too. BVI is another story altogether... "Virgin" sure ;)
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:52 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:31 pm You need to get a basic understanding of facts before you start lashing out at people. It’s quite unseemly.
You need to get a basic understanding of logic before you make claims that are clearly wrong.

You told me, for the second time, that, and I quote Biden respects the independence of the DOJ.

That's YOUR claim, Doc. Shooting your mouth off because of Biden's little D by his name.

The FACT is: a politician fired the region's AG just days after filing suit in NY against a major scandal that has hit his Island. it's in his interest to make this all go away.

Appearance of impropriety is through the roof, Doc. But by all means, try and dazzle this citizen with your partisan monkey muffins about how there's some dumb excuse as to why it was ok for this politician to get involved with the DoJ.

Either Garland steps in and makes this right, or the DoJ isn't independent, and Justice depends on the whims of a politician....which is contrary to your above claim.

No middle ground, sorry mate.
Biden has been pretty hands off the DOJ. After all, he headed the Senate Judiciary Committee and understands the importance of maintaining such independence. Garland is hardly “Biden’s man” in the DOJ.

You’re upset because you got caught fundamentally misunderstanding the situation in the USVI and refuse to acknowledge your obvious mistake. Your reaction is to double down on your personal attacks. Your behavior has become increasingly embarrassing in recent months.

@DocBarrister

Return to “POLITICS”