Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MoralTerpitude

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by MoralTerpitude »

RumorMill wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:42 pm Only issue I have is Tillman dancing around the call. Own it. Could say something such as… don’t like the rule, but it’s in the rule book. My players all had the same gloves on, theirs didn’t. Saw it as an opportunity to get an advantage. My job during the game is to do everything within the rules to win the game… yadda, yadda… easy to say from here. I’m sure much more difficult in the moment. Similar to a recent high school game, don’t want to be in a position where the officials can determine the result.
It could have gone down just the way Tills said it did.

Tills: “well gee whiz, the FOGO’s gloves don’t match the rest of the team. Gosh, is that ok by the rules of the game?”
Ref: “are you asking for a glove check?”
Tills: “well no sir, just asking the question.”
Ref: “….well dammit now we have to check.”
Myers: “%@!#!#” [head explodes]
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

random observer wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:39 pm Lost a lot of respect for Tillman tonight. What an absolutely pathetic move.
I’m not a fan of Myers and always respected Tillman but agree 100% agree, JV move, really lame, especially when you are winning every face off.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:50 pm
RumorMill wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:42 pm Only issue I have is Tillman dancing around the call. Own it. Could say something such as… don’t like the rule, but it’s in the rule book. My players all had the same gloves on, theirs didn’t. Saw it as an opportunity to get an advantage. My job during the game is to do everything within the rules to win the game… yadda, yadda… easy to say from here. I’m sure much more difficult in the moment. Similar to a recent high school game, don’t want to be in a position where the officials can determine the result.

Tills: “well gee whiz, the FOGO’s gloves don’t match the rest of the team. Gosh, is that ok by the rules of the game?”
Absolutely. During the game. My point was about after the game. Own it. And as some have pointed out, it can be considered good coaching. Know the rules and use them to your advantage.
fsclax

Post by fsclax »

xxxxxxx wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:53 pm
random observer wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:39 pm Lost a lot of respect for Tillman tonight. What an absolutely pathetic move.
I’m not a fan of Myers and always respected Tillman but agree 100% agree, JV move, really lame, especially when you are winning every face off.
What other rules are to be ignored? Is there a list?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

fsclax wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:55 pm
uniform design, lettering and striping limitations.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:49 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:40 pm
fsclax wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:35 pm The Terms show flashes of very good ball movement. The difference between 2023 and 2022 is that last year the guy caching the ball was very often in a position to do some damage immediately (shoot or make a quick dodge to a hands-free shot.) This year the guy receiving the pass is usually no where near a threatening position. When he catches the ball, he just begins a new dodge after the defense has recovered. When I rewatch the 2022 games, most of the offense was conducted within the football hash marks most of the time and therefore everyone was a threat most of the time. This year they are spread much much wider. Other than Erksa, no one can beat his man.
Last year may have been the best team in the history of lacrosse and definitely the best of the modern shot clock era.

This team lost all its scoring, it’s historically great defensive midfield, it’s all American goalie and it’s returning offensive quarterback. It’s all new and very inexperienced guys. Might be Tillman’s greatest coaching year.
Ya'll got creamed at home by Michigan last week, I don't think this is Tillman's greatest coaching year
Considering he replaced an entire defensive midfield, most of the offense and lost his goalie for the season, it actually is a great coaching year by Tillman.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Yes I’m a Terp fan, but Nick Myers deserves all the crap that can get pooped on him. He also called a stick check on Wierman right after that glove call in apparently impotent retaliation (and yes, the stick was legal). He’s such an ass.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Someone should just ask Tillman, "are you proud of that decision? is that the kind of thing that you want your program to be known for?" Given his responses, we already know the answer.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

RumorMill wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:55 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:50 pm

Absolutely. During the game. My point was about after the game. Own it. And as some have pointed out, it can be considered good coaching. Know the rules and use them to your advantage.
Yeah, I gotcha. Tillman comes across as really wholesome, but the guy’s coldblooded. He’ll do whatever it takes to win, within the rules. But I do think he tries to promulgate that wholesome image.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

PulpExposure wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:58 pm Yes I’m a Terp fan, but Nick Myers deserves all the crap that can get pooped on him. He also called a stick check on Wierman right after that glove call in apparently impotent retaliation (and yes, the stick was legal). He’s such an ass.
Every coach in the country who's worth his salt is going to call a stick check there after getting glove-checked
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

PulpExposure wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:58 pm Yes I’m a Terp fan, but Nick Myers deserves all the crap that can get pooped on him. He also called a stick check on Wierman right after that glove call in apparently impotent retaliation (and yes, the stick was legal). He’s such an ass.
that's an auto move by any coach in that situation. can't believe u made me defend myers.

but since u did, him putting the offense in a coma and then running around like a lunatic post-glove gate sealed the loss, not having his guys show up in different colors and getting called for it.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

keno in reno wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:58 pm
fsclax wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:35 pm The Terms show flashes of very good ball movement. The difference between 2023 and 2022 is that last year the guy caching the ball was very often in a position to do some damage immediately (shoot or make a quick dodge to a hands-free shot.) This year the guy receiving the pass is usually no where near a threatening position. When he catches the ball, he just begins a new dodge after the defense has recovered. When I rewatch the 2022 games, most of the offense was conducted within the football hash marks most of the time and therefore everyone was a threat most of the time. This year they are spread much much wider. Other than Erksa, no one can beat his man.
Last year may have been the best team in the history of lacrosse and definitely the best of the modern shot clock era.

This team lost all its scoring, it’s historically great defensive midfield, it’s all American goalie and it’s returning offensive quarterback. It’s all new and very inexperienced guys. Might be Tillman’s greatest coaching year.
Ya'll got creamed at home by Michigan last week, I don't think this is Tillman's greatest coaching year
Considering he replaced an entire defensive midfield, most of the offense and lost his goalie for the season, it actually is a great coaching year by Tillman.
+1... kinda expected Terps to be bad this year especially with Malever going down. A lot of freshman and sophomores making contributions. Still think the young guys add more than Long
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:02 pm
Every coach in the country who's worth his salt is going to call a stick check there after getting glove-checked
You really think Tillman’s teams are going to get caught like that? Impotent.

It’s literally all Myers could do.
Last edited by PulpExposure on Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

nyjay wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:46 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:45 pm
nyjay wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:41 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:37 pm That’s great coaching. Knowing and using the rules to help your team win. You can bet he held it until a point it would help the most.

Incredible intelligence and competitiveness.
Oh please. Total douche move and you know it.
I kind of wonder if he saved that move specifically for Nick Myers.
probably saved it for when it needed it tbh. and he needed it then.
It’s no different than calling timeout when you’re about to turn the ball over. Douche move but everybody does it. You can bet Tillman has coaches all watching gloves now
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

masondixonlax wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:04 pm
keno in reno wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:58 pm

+1... kinda expected Terps to be bad this year especially with Malever going down. A lot of freshman and sophomores making contributions. Still think the young guys add more than Long
I agree. The two guys you thought would be the offensive leaders were Long and maybe Maltz. Maltz has disappeared and Long has had a pretty bad year by his standards.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:06 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:37 pm That’s great coaching. Knowing and using the rules to help your team win. You can bet he held it until a point it would help the most.

It’s no different than calling timeout when you’re about to turn the ball over. Douche move but everybody does it. You can bet Tillman has coaches all watching gloves now
quite an achievement to put on his resume
random observer

Post by random observer »

nyjay wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:58 pm
Someone should just ask Tillman, "are you proud of that decision? is that the kind of thing that you want your program to be known for?" Given his responses, we already know the answer.
This is the crux of it. A stick check is one thing; conceivably an illegal stick can have a tangible impact on the outcome of the game. The glove thing has no impact on anything whatsoever. This isn't college football with millions of dollars on the line to corrupt the spirit of the game; at it's core, isn't all of this about competition and finding out if you're the better team? I'd rather my team compete with integrity and potentially lose than gain an advantage and win based on something that has nothing to do with what's happening on the field. Tillman's always talking about #bethebest. Hard to actually know if you're the best if you're scrounging for underhanded ways to win as insurance in case you're not actually the best.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

nyjay wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:08 pm

Ya i think Millman has got him beat on the resume
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

masondixonlax wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:10 pm
nyjay wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:08 pm

Ya i think Millman has got him beat on the resume
he clear doesn't, but the relevance of which is what exactly? your coach pulled the dbag move tonight. own it.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

nyjay wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:58 pm
Shouldn’t someone ask Myers “do you not know the rules or did you think nobody would notice?”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”