All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

DocBarrister

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

old salt wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:50 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:44 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:38 pm
MDLF76:
Do you seriously think that Trump or Pence intervened at those lower levels of govt ?
Or is the delay due to systemic bureaucratic obstacles at FDA & CDC, which were reasonable safeguards in previous crises, & a failed attempt to design a better test by CDC ?
Are you actually asking my opinion or is that merely rhetorical?

Yes, I think Trump wanted and got reduced testing because he didn't "want the numbers".
Just like he signals with all sorts of things and gets compliance, he did so with this as well.

Do I think that was entirely on him?
No, not entirely.
I think there was some arrogance throughout the upper echelons of government. "well meaning" but arrogance.
But when it became obvious that the first tests out the door were failing, it was a huge mistake not to accept the WHO tests.

But Trump at the same time was crowing about how few cases the US "had" and the great "success" of the decision to shut down (some) travel.

On your notion in another post that we shouldn't have been doing widespread testing, you are flat wrong.
And we should be doing it right now, but we don't have the tests in place to do so, so the 'triage' is indeed to only test the most severe cases...if there's ANY tests available even for them.

The testing capabilities will improve, but the virus will be quite widespread before that becomes the case.

The medical personnel are NOT yet overwhelmed and testing is definitely where effort should have been surged 8 weeks ago and thereafter. It's definitely what we should be doing heavily right now...if we had the tests.
You're dodging the question. Do you think Trump or Pence intervened to get the CDC to reject the WHO test & design their own test, then forbid FDA from issuing Emerg Use Auth for private & state lab developed tests ?

You're obsessed with Trump's rhetoric. The prompt travel restrictions did have a + impact (compared to Italy & EU neighbors).

Sure it would have been helpful if CDC had accepted the WHO kit or if their test worked as intended.
But (imho) you overstate the value of early, widespread testing, unless you can do it sufficiently to impose travel restrictions & lock down hot spots sooner, which would be controversial & challenging in a nation of our size, dispersal, freedom & mobility.
Even if you test negative, you still need to practice social distancing & avoid the vulnerable.
Something we were all encourared to do voluntarily as soon as the first cases popped up in the US

Of 200k S Koreans tested with flu like symptoms, 96% tested negative.
They still need to take the same precautions & self-recovery measures had they not tested.
Maybe in a nation as compact, crowded & ordered as S Korea, that helped isolate hot spots & contain community spread.
I'm not convinced testing a few weeks earlier would have been equally as effective in the US.

Let's examine the lessons learned analysis as we prep for the next new pandemic, or the next wave of COVOD19.
There'll be plenty of time for post crisis analytical study, ...w/ Congressional show trials to scratch your itch.
The lesson is, foolish people like you supported (and, incomprehensible as it may seem, still support) an unfit moron, Donald Trump, for president.

The entire nation will suffer for your idiotic choices.

DocBarrister :roll:
I exercised no choice.
I did not support or vote for candidate Trump.
I do not have the power to remove him.
If your party could nominate a moderate electable candidate,
we would not be having this discussion & you'd need a different scapegoat for this crisis.
Do you find the leaders of the EU nations more to your liking ?
How are things for their citizens ?
Please ... you have been Trump’s most vocal advocate on this forum.

Now you disavow him after it becomes too obvious to ignore what a dangerous piece of sh*t he is?!?

Please .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

We could have had the immensely qualified Hillary Clinton leading us in this crisis. Anyone who didn’t vote for her has contributed to this evolving disaster.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Bart wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:57 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:54 pm
Bart wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:52 pm Don't know if this is out there yet: Ohio closing all restaurants and bars for in person service at 9 pm. I doubt Andy will be far behind in NYS.
Indefinitely or closing at 9PM every night?
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4 ... oronavirus
Thanks. Fasten your seatbelts.
“I wish you would!”
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Gov. DeWine announces closure of Ohio bars, dine-in restaurants. Take-out only.

https://www.10tv.com/article/gov-dewine ... s-2020-mar
Typical Lax Dad

MDLF76:
Do you seriously think that Trump or Pence intervened at those lower levels of govt ?
Or is the delay due to systemic bureaucratic obstacles at FDA & CDC, which were reasonable safeguards in previous crises, & a failed attempt to design a better test by CDC ?

Yes, I think Trump wanted and got reduced testing because he didn't "want the numbers".
Just like he signals with all sorts of things and gets compliance, he did so with this as well.

No, not entirely.
I think there was some arrogance throughout the upper echelons of government. "well meaning" but arrogance.
But when it became obvious that the first tests out the door were failing, it was a huge mistake not to accept the WHO tests.

But Trump at the same time was crowing about how few cases the US "had" and the great "success" of the decision to shut down (some) travel.

On your notion in another post that we shouldn't have been doing widespread testing, you are flat wrong.
And we should be doing it right now, but we don't have the tests in place to do so, so the 'triage' is indeed to only test the most severe cases...if there's ANY tests available even for them.

The testing capabilities will improve, but the virus will be quite widespread before that becomes the case.

The medical personnel are NOT yet overwhelmed and testing is definitely where effort should have been surged 8 weeks ago and thereafter. It's definitely what we should be doing heavily right now...if we had the tests.
You're dodging the question. Do you think Trump or Pence intervened to get the CDC to reject the WHO test & design their own test, then forbid FDA from issuing Emerg Use Auth for private & state lab developed tests ?

You're obsessed with Trump's rhetoric. The prompt travel restrictions did have a + impact (compared to Italy & EU neighbors).

Sure it would have been helpful if CDC had accepted the WHO kit or if their test worked as intended.
But (imho) you overstate the value of early, widespread testing, unless you can do it sufficiently to impose travel restrictions & lock down hot spots sooner, which would be controversial & challenging in a nation of our size, dispersal, freedom & mobility.
Even if you test negative, you still need to practice social distancing & avoid the vulnerable.
Something we were all encourared to do voluntarily as soon as the first cases popped up in the US

They still need to take the same precautions & self-recovery measures had they not tested.
Maybe in a nation as compact, crowded & ordered as S Korea, that helped isolate hot spots & contain community spread.
I'm not convinced testing a few weeks earlier would have been equally as effective in the US.

Let's examine the lessons learned analysis as we prep for the next new pandemic, or the next wave of COVOD19.
There'll be plenty of time for post crisis analytical study, ...w/ Congressional show trials to scratch your itch.
The lesson is, foolish people like you supported (and, incomprehensible as it may seem, still support) an unfit moron, Donald Trump, for president.

I exercised no choice.
we would not be having this discussion & you'd need a different scapegoat for this crisis.
But you own a MAGA hat
🤡
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:02 pm
MDLF76:

No, not entirely.

I exercised no choice.
But you own a MAGA hat
🤡
The only red ball caps I own have "StL" & "SB lacrosse" on them.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Where did Trump go? Was this not important enough for him? Was he missing The Three Stooges and cookies and milk?
CU88

Post by CU88 »

The coronavirus response team’s Sunday briefing opened with Trump taking the rostrum.

The president praised the Federal Reserve for lowering interest rates. He also urged Americans to “relax” and stop buying more groceries than they need, again playing down the scale of the crisis.

“Relax, we’re doing great,” Trump said in the White House briefing room. “It all will pass.”

Trump also said he had spoken Sunday afternoon with grocery CEOs, who assured him that stores will continue to operate and be well stocked with supplies.
by cradleandshoot » Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:57 am
Mr moderator, deactivate my account.
You have heck this forum up to making it nothing more than a joke. I hope you are happy.
This is cradle and shoot signing out.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:06 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:02 pm
MDLF76:

No, not entirely.

I exercised no choice.
But you own a MAGA hat
🤡
The only red ball caps I own have "StL" & "SB lacrosse" on them.
🤡
“I wish you would!”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

I find the Abbott & Costello reference appropriate as we have to listen to Pence say the same sh*t about testing leading off every one of these shows.
THIRD BASE...The President is a genius for doing all this. BLAH BLAH BLAH

DeWine, Newsome, Inslee and Cuomo are looking down the barrel of being potentially overwhelmed....while DOPUS celebrates the Fed caving to his inane BS. Dow futures are down 600 even after the announcement because they know BS when they see it.

Lastly DOPUS tossing the alleged press release from Google at the feat of the press and calling them liars is simply DESPICABLE BEHAVIOR. You can bet that this is more BS because after he did it NONE of the people on stage talked about implementation of any web-based test screening.
Typical Lax Dad

Kismet wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:11 pm I find the Abbott & Costello reference appropriate as we have to listen to Pence say the same sh*t about testing leading off every one of these shows.

DeWine, Newsome, Inslee and Cuomo are looking down the barrel of being potentially overwhelmed....while DOPUS celebrates the Fed caving to his inane BS. Dow futures are down 600 even after the announcement because they know BS when they see it.

Lastly DOPUS tossing the alleged press release from Google at the feat of the press and calling them liars is simply DESPICABLE BEHAVIOR. You can bet that this is more BS because after he did it NONE of the people on stage talked about implementation of any web-based test screening.
Trump’s sole purpose is to goose the stock market. He believes he is actually helping.....Dow futures are down.
“I wish you would!”
Bart

Post by Bart »

CU88 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:08 pm
Trump also said he had spoken Sunday afternoon with grocery CEOs, who assured him that stores will continue to operate and be well stocked with supplies.
That is great. Biggest question is the trucks that need to get the goods to the stores. I believe they loosened the regulations regarding "time on task" but I know there are some running on fumes, no pun intended.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Tomorrow morning might be lockdown time for schools, bars, restaurants, amusements etc

Dow futures off 900 pts after presser and Fed rate cut. Is America great again with negative interest rates?
Last edited by Trinity on Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

I think this crisis brings home just how dangerous stupidity and ignorance is ... and by extension, just how dangerous a stupid and ignorant Republican Party is.

I’ve said it many times before, but this crisis really brings the truth into stark clarity:

The stupidity and ignorance of the Republican Party is the greatest threat to our national security and future prosperity.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:16 pm
Kismet wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:11 pm I find the Abbott & Costello reference appropriate as we have to listen to Pence say the same sh*t about testing leading off every one of these shows.

Trump’s sole purpose is to goose the stock market. He believes he is actually helping.....Dow futures are down.
Have you guys considered the possibility that Trump's communicating with an entirely different audience than us ?
They're on an entirely different wavelength than we are. We don't need constant guidance & reassurance. They do.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Trinity wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:21 pm “I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
:)
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:16 pm

Well, it didn't work. Futures just hit limit down and are off 1,000 points.
Typical Lax Dad

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:29 pm
Trinity wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:21 pm “I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
:)
The buck stops over there... ☝️
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Trinity wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:21 pm Tomorrow morning might be lockdown time for schools, bars, restaurants, amusements etc

Dow futures off 900 pts after presser and Fed rate cut. Is America great again with negative interest rates?
MAGA
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

There's zero chance of the Dow dropping only 900 points tomorrow.

Congress and Trump better get their massive stimulus package together in the next 24 hours.....

They don't seem to get that access to capital ain't the problem. Demand just fell off a cliff, and ran into a brick wall....
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Hoboken leads way with curfew and smart move of limiting restaurants to takeout and delivery:

https://www.insider.com/hoboken-impleme ... ons-2020-3

Return to “POLITICS”