All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Climate Change & The Environment

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:35 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:25 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:24 pm which claims??????????
So you are not defending Roy Spencer. Thanks.
No.....seriously....I am.

Standing up for journalistic integrity. You can't stand by your claim that he was debunked, don't make it.

Not climate change related.....but nonsense internet junk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpurFfcSNfU
I stand by my claim. You are free to debunk it.
“I wish you would!”
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

This whole conversation about Roy Spencer reminds me of a quote from my major professor (PhD program) who said (actually very late one night as we were trying to take data:
Nothing looks more like a new effect than a mistake.
Spencer is a far outlier, who within the climate investigation community gets the attention he deserves - little. He spends most of his time in a more political stance, and his political connections are definitely far right. He also has dabbled well out of his expertise in backing intelligent design.

And yes, you can find countless debunkings of his views on the internet, just as you can find those who support him. But the main way to judge him is how he is treated by the climate science community overall, and for the most part they oppose him.
Typical Lax Dad

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:51 pm This whole conversation about Roy Spencer reminds me of a quote from my major professor (PhD program) who said (actually very late one night as we were trying to take data:
Spencer is a far outlier, who within the climate investigation community gets the attention he deserves - little. He spends most of his time in a more political stance, and his political connections are definitely far right. He also has dabbled well out of his expertise in backing intelligent design.

And yes, you can find countless debunkings of his views on the internet, just as you can find those who support him. But the main way to judge him is how he is treated by the climate science community overall, and for the most part they oppose him.
Big with the evangelicals.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

RedFromMI wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:51 pm This whole conversation about Roy Spencer reminds me of a quote from my major professor (PhD program) who said (actually very late one night as we were trying to take data:

Red Front since you are a fair minded... if someone dimwitted scientist I will share some personal info with you. In 2013 my friends and my wife returned from a vacation in Mexico. Our friends husband struggled with a nagging sore throat while we were there. He was diagnosed by some really talented doctors/scientists at the Wilmot Cancer Center at Strong Memorial Hospital with stage 4 throat cancer. Their treatment involved cutting out part of his jaw, going right in to his neck, cutting out the cancer, followed by chemotherapy and radiation treatment. Our neighbor was not happy with the diagnosis and went to Roswell Park in Buffalo for a second opinion. He was examined there by another group of talented doctors/scientists who disagreed vehemently with the other group of talented doctors/scientists at Wilmot. His treatment at Roswell involved radiation and chemo with no radical surgery involved. 6 yearslater he is cancer free and living life to its fullest. We still wonder why the best and brightest minds of science from 2 different hospitals can't get on the same page on how to handle a case of throat cancer.

I will share some more with you... even more personal because this involves the love of my life my dear wife. In June of this year she was finally diagnosed after countless months of doctor visit after doctor visit after doctor visit with a whole bunch of very talented orthopaedic surgeons and scientists who did not have a clue as to the pain she was in finally insisted/threatened for them to do an MRI. Stunning to all of these surgeons/scientists my wifes pain was an advanced case of avascular necrosis. Her F***ing hip had started to collapse in its socket. When my wife asked her surgeon how this happened he gave a very detailed response to he question. The best and brightest minds of medicine and science have no idea why avascular necrosis occurs... it just happens.

So in case RED you are clueless as to where I am going with this I will fast forward to the new pain my wife has in her knee that was replaced a year ago. A sharp, pointy object pointing out of her knee just below the new knee cap. Damned if any of the 3 orthopods/scientists can figure out what it is. She has been back for one more MRI and last Friday a bone scan and possibly tomorrow the orthopods/scientists may have an idea what is causing the excrutiating pain. Hell no need to worry, the orthopod can just go back into the knee and poke around and see if he can figure it out. Lets back up again Red to your original proclamation as to how F***ing brilliant you are and how knowledgeable you are in your field of expertise. If you are of the same caliber of scientist that I have dealt with recently then nothing coming out of your mouth means anything to me. You are just another Mr Know it All in a long stream of brilliant scientists that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground and are just too damn smart to understand they ain't as smart as they think they are. All that aside... I am sure Red you are one hell of a nice guy. I still think you are JHU 72 in disguise but maybe it is just an uncanny resemblance.

Maybe it is too personal for me Red I am fed up to my eyeballs with a very large collection of very smart scientists that have good hearts and good intentions but don't know jack squat about anything. The way I feel about the entire lot of you morons is you can all go to hell right now. The only damn HONEST answer came from my wifes surgeon when he told her flat out we don't know as much as we would like to. That sure as hell builds loads of confidence in the world of science. You all might as well just start using dart boards to answer the tough questions. Carry on with your knowledge and wisdom when it comes to the environment... you can't agree :roll: on how to handle a case of throat cancer but you idiots want to convince us all you have the smarts to save the planet...
Last edited by cradleandshoot on Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:02 pm

Red Front since you are a fair minded... if someone dimwitted scientist I will share some personal info with you. In 2013 my friends and my wife returned from a vacation in Mexico. Our friends husband struggled with a nagging sore throat while we were there. He was diagnosed by some really talented doctors/scientists at the Wilmot Cancer Center at Strong Memorial Hospital with stage 4 throat cancer. Their treatment involved cutting out part of his jaw, going right in to his neck, cutting out the cancer, followed by chemotherapy and radiation treatment. Our neighbor was not happy with the diagnosis and went to Roswell Park in Buffalo for a second opinion. He was examined there by another group of talented doctors/scientists who disagreed vehemently with the other group of talented doctors/scientists at Wilmot. His treatment at Roswell involved radiation and chemo with no radical surgery involved. 6 yearslater he is cancer free and living life to its fullest. We still wonder why the best and brightest minds of science from 2 different hospitals can't get on the same page on how to handle a case of throat cancer.

I will share some more with you... even more personal because this involves the love of my life my dear wife. In June of this year she was finally diagnosed after countless months of doctor visit after doctor visit after doctor visit with a whole bunch of very talented orthopaedic surgeons and scientists who did not have a clue as to the pain she was in finally insisted/threatened for them to do an MRI. Stunning to all of these surgeons/scientists my wifes pain was an advanced case of avascular necrosis. Her F***ing hip had started to collapse in its socket. When my wife asked her surgeon how this happened he gave a very detailed response to he question. The best and brightest minds of medicine and science have no idea why avascular necrosis occurs... it just happens.

So in case RED you are clueless as to where I am going with this I will fast forward to the new pain my wife has in her knee that was replaced a year ago. A sharp, pointy object pointing out of her knee just below the new knee cap. Damned if any of the 3 orthopods/scientists can figure out what it is. She has been back for one more MRI and last Friday a bone scan and possibly tomorrow the orthopods/scientists may have an idea what is causing the excrutiating pain. Hell no need to worry, the orthopod can just go back into the knee and poke around and see if he can figure it out. Lets back up again Red to your original proclamation as to how F***ing brilliant you are and how knowledgeable you are in your field of expertise. If you are of the same caliber of scientist that I have dealt with recently then nothing coming out of your mouth means anything to me. You are just another Mr Know it All in a long stream of brilliant scientists that don't know their ass from a hole in the ground and are just too damn smart to understand they ain't as smart as they think they are. All that aside... I am sure Red you are one hell of a nice guy. I still think you are JHU 72 in disguise but maybe it is just an uncanny resemblance.
My old Renault had an electrical problem in which 4 or 5 mechanics couldn’t figure out. What do they know.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:10 pm

My old Renault had an electrical problem in which 4 or 5 mechanics couldn’t figure out. What do they know.
I doubt if your mechanic can't diagnose your car that you will wind up dead or crippled. These bunch of like minded scientist can figure out what is wrong with the planet 100% guaranteed but can't come to an agreement how to treat throat cancer or treat a patient suffering from chronic pain. I only hope you don't find yourself in a situation where a loved one is seriously ill and all the doctor scientist can tell you is... we don't know why. I guess if they come with a case of climate change they got ya covered failing that diagnosis don't expect any answers. If I sound angry TLD... your goddam right I am I am tired of watching my wife in pain and listening to doctors/scientists telling us they don't know why. :evil:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:34 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:10 pm

I doubt if your mechanic can't diagnose your car that you will wind up dead or crippled. These bunch of like minded scientist can figure out what is wrong with the planet 100% guaranteed but can't come to an agreement how to treat throat cancer or treat a patient suffering from chronic pain. I only hope you don't find yourself in a situation where a loved one is seriously ill and all the doctor scientist can tell you is... we don't know why. I guess if they come with a case of climate change they got ya covered failing that diagnosis don't expect any answers. If I sound angry TLD... your goddam right I am I am tired of watching my wife in pain and listening to doctors/scientists telling us they don't know why. :evil:
The doctors are stupid.
“I wish you would!”
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Some are.

For instance, there are no excuses for any medical personnel located on the DELMARVA penisulsa, to NOT know about this, yet, people still die? Pretty stupid. Bad stuff nature can dole out if often "regional", no? ;) ;) ;)

https://people.com/health/where-people- ... eria-2019/
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:41 am Some are.

For instance, there are no excuses for any medical personnel located on the DELMARVA penisulsa, to NOT know about this, yet, people still die? Pretty stupid. Bad stuff nature can dole out if often "regional", no? ;) ;) ;)

Interesting. Spreading north because of climate change.

While most cases are in the southern part of the Eastern Seaboard, the flesh-eating bacteria vibrio is spreading north because of climate change, a new study found. Between 2017 and 2018, there were five cases where people contracted the bacteria in the Delaware Bay, or near Delaware and New Jersey.

“We believe that clinicians should be aware of the possibility that V. vulnificus infections are occurring more frequently outside traditional geographic areas,” the authors wrote in the report, according to CBS.

But extremely rare.
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Maybe it is too personal for me Red I am fed up to my eyeballs with a very large collection of very smart scientists that have good hearts and good intentions but don't know jack squat about anything. The way I feel about the entire lot of you morons is you can all go to hell right now. The only damn HONEST answer came from my wifes surgeon when he told her flat out we don't know as much as we would like to. That sure as hell builds loads of confidence in the world of science. You all might as well just start using dart boards to answer the tough questions. Carry on with your knowledge and wisdom when it comes to the environment... you can't agree :roll: on how to handle a case of throat cancer but you idiots want to convince us all you have the smarts to save the planet...
First, you are making a mistake to conflate medicine 100% with science/scientists. Being a medical doctor is part science and still part art. And a whole lot of symptoms are shared in common with various diseases, syndromes, etc. So getting a definitive diagnosis is not always as straight forward as we would like. And I say this knowing that I have a daughter who is a practicing physician. And that means knowing a bit of how their training works.

And BTW, I have never proclaimed my "brilliance" or anything of that sort. And the mark of intelligence is to actually have some idea of where your limitations are. But I do have a doctorate in physics, and have taught at the college level for now well over 30 years. Including courses in Science and Religion, and history and philosophy of science beyond the more typical physics and astronomy. So I do know more than the average Joe about the work of science, and so I contribute at that level.

Now back to medicine. When a doctor gets it wrong, that error can lead to greater illness, disability or even death. And the variability of the human makes it tough to be absolutely sure every time. In a hard science like physics or meteorology or chemistry, mistakes are often no more than dead end paths to a more final answer.

And on a more personal level, my (late) wife spent the last three months of her life in the ICU where none of the doctors and nurses caring for her could figure out how to keep her from dying. And I could be bitter about that, but choose not to.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:45 am

“We believe that clinicians should be aware of the possibility that V. vulnificus infections are occurring more frequently outside traditional geographic areas,” the authors wrote in the report, according to CBS.[/I]

But extremely rare.
So others agree with what I just wrote.

Does it even matter that you are 100% incorrect regarding the spread in the DELMARVA region?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:03 am

“We believe that clinicians should be aware of the possibility that V. vulnificus infections are occurring more frequently outside traditional geographic areas,” the authors wrote in the report, according to CBS.[/I]

But extremely rare.

Does it even matter that you are 100% incorrect regarding the spread in the DELMARVA region?
I have no opinion on it, so not sure how I could be "100% incorrect".
I just excerpted from the article you posted.

Really nasty bugs.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:14 am
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:03 am

But extremely rare.

I have no opinion on it, so not sure how I could be "100% incorrect".
I just excerpted from the article you posted.

Really nasty bugs.
You have no opinion on the matter, you just happened to pick that line. :lol: :lol:

$o, if the $cience is $ettled, why do so many articles, peer reviewed, MSM, etc. include wording related to "further study needed" ? Indeed, why spend one more dollar on settled $cience research. And YOU pretend CONservatives don't have the nerve to do it. Stop funding it, even tho....wait for it......it's $ettled.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

https://people.com/health/women-gets-fl ... nia-beach/

Luckily this woman lived, but from the article:

“I did not feel good,” she told WTKR. “I noticed this thing that came on my leg. I ignored it for a couple days, and then it just started getting bigger and bigger and bigger to the point where I couldn’t walk anymore.”

It's easy to see how people can die from this, even if medical personnel are aware of it. It is particularly bad for those with weak immune systems.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Notice, this "song" is about pollution. Not warming or change....but POLLUTION.

1990, almost 30 years. Chessy Bay Foundation has "helped" get the water pollution/rating to a grade level that STILL wouldn't get you back out on the field (D+/rarely C- ) , from the F start.

Is it because the Chessy Bay water quality due to pollution, or warming?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

holmes435 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:44 am

https://people.com/health/women-gets-fl ... nia-beach/

Luckily this woman lived, but from the article:

“I did not feel good,” she told WTKR. “I noticed this thing that came on my leg. I ignored it for a couple days, and then it just started getting bigger and bigger and bigger to the point where I couldn’t walk anymore.”

It's easy to see how people can die from this, even if medical personnel are aware of it. It is particularly bad for those with weak immune systems.
Very true.

Perhaps a $8 Billion public awareness campaign to alert them, annually, especially the "at risk" demographic. Might now a firm than "handles" this kind of thing.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:51 am Notice, this "song" is about pollution. Not warming or change....but POLLUTION.

1990, almost 30 years. Chessy Bay Foundation has "helped" get the water pollution/rating to a grade level that STILL wouldn't get you back out on the field (D+/rarely C- ) , from the F start.

Initially pollution. Certain kinds of pollution lead to global warming and climate change.

The kicker is that climate change can then further harm the inhabitants of the bay in a lot of ways.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

holmes435 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:08 am
runrussellrun wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:51 am Notice, this "song" is about pollution. Not warming or change....but POLLUTION.

Initially pollution. Certain kinds of pollution lead to global warming and climate change.

The kicker is that climate change can then further harm the inhabitants of the bay in a lot of ways.
Lots of ways, eh? How are the strippers , crabs and oysters (bay inhabitants) effected by something you refuse to quantify, WHAT climate, currently, does the Chessy Bay have? What will it change too? When? Save the sea level rize, more extreme standard talking points, why doesn't it matter? The nomenclature of St. Michaels Climate.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

runrussellrun wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:32 pm
holmes435 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:08 am

Lots of ways, eh? How are the strippers , crabs and oysters (bay inhabitants) effected by something you refuse to quantify, WHAT climate, currently, does the Chessy Bay have? What will it change too? When? Save the sea level rize, more extreme standard talking points, why doesn't it matter? The nomenclature of St. Michaels Climate.
The strippers are doing just fine with all the military bases around here.

As far as wildlife, we'll see water temperature rises, the water will get more acidic, we'll see more algal blooms / red tides with continued runoff and more. Water temperature changes will shift where fish stocks are and potentially kill off a lot of fish if they can't find suitable replacement habitats to spawn. Acidification will mean fewer shellfish. So major impacts up and down the food chain and to the economies here.

The locals say the stripers used to practically beach themselves by my house a few decades ago. Now you're lucky to catch one all season from the shore.

Return to “POLITICS”