World Soccer

General Chatter
ardilla secreta

Re: World Soccer

Post by ardilla secreta »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:40 am
ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:00 pm Insane finishes. Every Group conclusion has been loaded with drama with Austria wining Group D over France and Netherlands.
That England v. Slovakia match.....

Anyone else think it's a pity that Germany and Spain only meet in the quarterfinals? They appear to be the two most complete teams. The Spanish midfield -- Rodri, Ruiz and Pedri -- is really good, and the wing players Williams, Jr. and Lamal give them speed and separation that I am not seeing with other teams. The Germans are likewise a complete team.

France v. Belgium, and Portugal v. Slovenia today. Romania v. Netherlands, and Austria v. Turkiye tomorrow to decide the rest of the QFs.

Great tournament.
Germany v Spain could have easily been the final if the bracket were different. Tough break for hosts. Spain the best team so far.

Portugal looks to be overrated. Ronaldo’s blubbering isn’t exactly leading his squad.

Netherlands finally looked formidable in dominating win over Romania.

Another barnburner with Austria and Türkiye. Incredible save at the end to send the Turks on.

On the other hand…

Too bad there’s such greed in the Copa America. Ridiculous ticket pricing, especially compared to Euros. Kinda loses its luster with host and Mexico failing to get past the group stage. I find many Copa games hard to watch with the often atrocious officiating.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:29 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:40 am
ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:00 pm Insane finishes. Every Group conclusion has been loaded with drama with Austria wining Group D over France and Netherlands.
That England v. Slovakia match.....

Anyone else think it's a pity that Germany and Spain only meet in the quarterfinals? They appear to be the two most complete teams. The Spanish midfield -- Rodri, Ruiz and Pedri -- is really good, and the wing players Williams, Jr. and Lamal give them speed and separation that I am not seeing with other teams. The Germans are likewise a complete team.

France v. Belgium, and Portugal v. Slovenia today. Romania v. Netherlands, and Austria v. Turkiye tomorrow to decide the rest of the QFs.

Great tournament.
Germany v Spain could have easily been the final if the bracket were different. Tough break for hosts. Spain the best team so far.

Portugal looks to be overrated. Ronaldo’s blubbering isn’t exactly leading his squad.

Netherlands finally looked formidable in dominating win over Romania.

Another barnburner with Austria and Türkiye. Incredible save at the end to send the Turks on.

On the other hand…

Too bad there’s such greed in the Copa America. Ridiculous ticket pricing, especially compared to Euros. Kinda loses its luster with host and Mexico failing to get past the group stage. I find many Copa games hard to watch with the often atrocious officiating.
Spain v. Germany (Friday) -- think Spain will advance, but again, this could easily be a Finals caliber game. Pity.

France v. Portugal -- this should be a good game; France won't hunker down into a pure defensive shape the whole, as Slovenia did against Portugal. Still, I think France advances (although I would like to see Portugal win).

England v. Switzerland -- depends if England shows up. I don't love the way manager is using Foden, and think Trippier, apart from service on set pieces, is a liability. England could use a ton more speed on the wings, and has a good guy in Gordon...on the bench. Swiss were very good and very disciplined last outing. The Swiss eek this one out??

Netherlands v. Turkiye -- this band of Turks is good, tough, really physical. But I think the Dutch advance.

Great tournament.

I am, ardilla, hardly watching the Copa.
ardilla secreta

EURO 24

A great set of games today that should be the semifinals

A great advantage for Germany at home in Stuttgart, but no one is playing better than Espana and they should move forward.

Both Portugal and France have not played to their potential. I see France with more talent and depth to win and move on.

I’m down to two bratwurst and it’ll be one after today. Accompanied by a cold Cheugy Chuggers lager by Drekker Brewing of Fargo Nodak.
IMG_1587.jpeg
IMG_1587.jpeg (54.63 KiB) Viewed 660 times
Typical Lax Dad

Re: EURO 24

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:24 am A great set of games today that should be the semifinals

A great advantage for Germany at home in Stuttgart, but no one is playing better than Espana and they should move forward.

Both Portugal and France have not played to their potential. I see France with more talent and depth to win and move on.

I’m down to two bratwurst and it’ll be one after today. Accompanied by a cold Cheugy Chuggers lager by Drekker Brewing of Fargo Nodak.
IMG_1587.jpeg
ENJOY IT!!!
“I wish you would!”
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pipe shot, Portugal.
Viva la France!!!!
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

DMac wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:55 pm Pipe shot, Portugal.
Viva la France!!!!
Portugal penalty-taker hesitated just a bit too much IMO. That was the difference in hitting the post. Game of inches!

Joe
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Viva la France!!!!
Portugal penalty-taker hesitated just a bit too much IMO. That was the difference in hitting the post. Game of inches!

Joe
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Viva la France!!!!
Sorry to see Portugal not advance; I like this team, with big talents all over the field. I am not one of those people hostile to Ronaldo, but I was surprised Jota and Ramos didn't see the field, without or with Ronaldo. My guess is Ronaldo stayed on because he is very reliable with his penalty kicks, and in fact canned his chance. By in field play, Jota and Ramos are more active, better at finding the pockets these days.

Interesting tidbit: while France's politics back a party that made its bones on anti-immigration, outside of the voting booths the country cheers on the sons of Algerian and Tunisian and Cameroonian immigrants; 87% of their national team is made up of them.

I haven't counted up all the Spanish and French players who are out of the semis due to (the stupid) yellow card accumulation rule. That might actually not only deprive us of the best players on the field, but weaken one of these teams decisively. I know that Spain loses Dani Cavahal, a big loss on the back line and wing. Viva Espana!!
ardilla secreta

EURO 24

I really dislike these accumulation suspensions which are taking away talent. Ditto for stutter-step PKs. Need to be outlawed.

Germany almost pulled it off, but had no answer for Dani Olmo. Good game. France Portugal was played with too much caution and hard to watch for regular and AET. Really surprised to see Mbape take himself off at 105’. You figure he’d want to be there for PKs.

England v Suisse. Guarded play will probably drive this game to AET and perhaps England's depth will propell them as they sure don’t want to go to PK given their history.

Netherlands v Türkiye. Essentially a home game for the Turks. I like Türkiye’s aggressive play to get the win, unless they get too forward and give up an easy goal.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2024 7:36 am
Viva la France!!!!
Sorry to see Portugal not advance; I like this team, with big talents all over the field. I am not one of those people hostile to Ronaldo, but I was surprised Jota and Ramos didn't see the field, without or with Ronaldo. My guess is Ronaldo stayed on because he is very reliable with his penalty kicks, and in fact canned his chance. By in field play, Jota and Ramos are more active, better at finding the pockets these days.

Interesting tidbit: while France's politics back a party that made its bones on anti-immigration, outside of the voting booths the country cheers on the sons of Algerian and Tunisian and Cameroonian immigrants; 87% of their national team is made up of them.

I haven't counted up all the Spanish and French players who are out of the semis due to (the stupid) yellow card accumulation rule. That might actually not only deprive us of the best players on the field, but weaken one of these teams decisively. I know that Spain loses Dani Cavahal, a big loss on the back line and wing. Viva Espana!!
You know I'm not much of a soccer fan (which is actually understating). I happened to have it on for a second when it was at 114:47 and the score was 0-0, thought I'd leave it on to see if anyone was going to score....nope. Watched the FPSs ;), ya gotta score those!!!!! France was 5 for 5, very costly and heartbreaking miss for Portugal. I don't have a favorite in the competition but I'll pull for Espana for ya.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

England to the semifinals.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Spain to the final, where it has to be the favorite.
ardilla secreta

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:12 am Spain to the final, where it has to be the favorite.
The 1st half of Spain-France was great football. The 2nd half was mostly just trying to finish the game for Spain. No question Mbappe is a top talent, but somewhat overrates in my book. Olmo of Spain has been the real superstar. Yamal at almost 17 is outstanding. Great goal and spirit. Even with some staters out, Spain was too much. They are the favorite no matter who they play.

England v Netherlands. Took England extra time to dismiss Slovakia and Suisse. That doesn’t look good enough to win against a resurgent Orange. Looks like Netherlands v Espana in the final.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:53 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 8:12 am Spain to the final, where it has to be the favorite.
The 1st half of Spain-France was great football. The 2nd half was mostly just trying to finish the game for Spain. No question Mbappe is a top talent, but somewhat overrates in my book. Olmo of Spain has been the real superstar. Yamal at almost 17 is outstanding. Great goal and spirit. Even with some staters out, Spain was too much. They are the favorite no matter who they play.

England v Netherlands. Took England extra time to dismiss Slovakia and Suisse. That doesn’t look good enough to win against a resurgent Orange. Looks like Netherlands v Espana in the final.
Well, it appears England has surprised us and disappointed several million Dutch people. Quite a game; if it had gone to extra time I am pretty sure England would have run out of gas and the Dutch would have found the back of the net. But Watkins of Aston Villa comes on and at 90+1, on his fourth touch of the match, turns and scores just inside the left post. My wife thought I was having an event.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:53 am
England hasn't looked good as a team, but clearly has very talented players. Funny sport, in that the dominant team can lose, the team that's less pleasing to the eye can win. Will Harry Kane finally get his trophy? Spain will be the obvious favorite to lift the trophy, and my guess is that they'll do just that. But you never know.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Seacoaster,

No surprise that they are the strength of the land given that hundreds of thousands of people from those countries volunteered to liberate France from the Nazis, only to have France invade them after WW II. Very ironic, indeed.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ardilla secreta

EURO 24 FINALS

Espana v England
Spain is playing the best and has the best team in this tournament, but England may have the best players. Can they play as a team and get their first trophy in 58 years or will they play dumb and get a red card or give up an early goal?

Spain probably wins this, but England is certainly capable. I’ll be hoping for a Lions win!
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Tight, cagy first half, tough game to call. One moment of individual brilliance could decide this game.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Spain wins!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/s ... 399785007/

Spain won its record fourth European soccer championship, getting an 86th-minute goal from Mikel Oyarzabal to beat England in the Euro 2024 final on Sunday in Berlin.

Spain won all seven games it played at Euro 2024, being crowned champions to cap one of the most dominant international tournament performances in history.

Nico Williams provided the first goal for Spain, scoring less than two minutes into the second half after a scoreless opening 45. Spain looked the better team throughout the match, but England’s Cole Palmer scored the tying goal in the 73rd minute.

Spain previously won the tournament in 1964, 2008 and 2012 and were tied with Germany as the only three-time champions.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

England had its moment of good team play, ending with a top-shelf finish by Palmer. Yet, for most of the second half, and throughout the tournament, Spain were the best team. Spain deserved to win. Harry Kane's quest for a trophy continues. Geez, going to Bayern Munich seemed like an absolute guarantee of a trophy or two in 2024. Maybe Spurs can win a trophy in 2025, especially if they find a consistent goal scorer; ah, the irony.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”