D1 Womens Lacrosse
fanlaxUN

Re: Recruiting

Post by fanlaxUN »

No kiddin. Holy love HS Rankings!
laxdadpat

Post by laxdadpat »

Big time college football appeals to athletes that play a spring sport. There is nothing like a college football Saturday(hello GameDay). Clemson's recruiting is impressive as well as a little surprising. Clemson is a big name today not because Clemson, South Carolina is a town any teenage girl outside of SC has ever heard of until 6 years ago. I liked Clemson when I was young for 1 reason, I watched the 1980 football national championship team. It's an experience more girls are looking for and many of those teams are not top ranked, but I think the big football schools will keep bringing in better lacrosse players. I was looking forward to some football weekends at the Horseshoe, then my daughter picked another big school she could picture herself at on Fall Saturday afternoons and playing lacrosse at in the spring. These girls seem to find the "best fit for them" as one poster put it best. I couldn't be prouder and can't wait for some of the best fall Saturdays of my life!
WLaxdad

Post by WLaxdad »

Sounds like most of the girls have a good head on their shoulders and are making good decisions, keeps me hopeful as I move into the teenager years.
Relax77

Post by Relax77 »

WLaxdad wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:04 am Sounds like most of the girls have a good head on their shoulders and are making good decisions, keeps me hopeful as I move into the teenager years.
Good luck in the teenage years. They turn into Reagan from the exorcist.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Relax77 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:18 am
WLaxdad wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:04 am Sounds like most of the girls have a good head on their shoulders and are making good decisions, keeps me hopeful as I move into the teenager years.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:20 pm
Womenslaxxfan wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:21 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 1:05 pm
Deacon022 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:53 pm
LaxDadMax wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:51 am
Deacon022 wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:00 pm My daughter just finished up. I don’t wish this on anyone. Wow that was hard for her. The offer was great. And yes. Tons of ghosts out there. Although I have to say I’m scared to see what the hell happens in two years to make sure the offer is the same. I couldn’t believe there’s nothing written down. Do they ever change?
That would suck. Not like you can go get a new team at that point for the first year.
Congrats.

My third daughter just finished as well. What we thought would be a tough decision ending up being much easier. When we got on campus, the school which was #1 on her list since 8th grade dropped off within 6 hours. You could tell a bad culture on the team with lots of unhappy girls.

What was interesting was that the day we got back from our final visit, she got an offer from a perennial top 10 team that she hadn't heard from since her second call with them on Sept. 4th. She didn't blink in politely turning them down after she made her decision.
Congrats as well. Three. 😬. Yes crazy how some of the visits you can get a different kind of vibe just by hanging out with the team. My daughter committed to a college that wasn’t on her list initially but took the visit because she knew one of the coaches from showcases and previous camps. Loved the team and all the coaches. Wasn’t initially what she was looking for but after seeing it up close she changed her mind. Feeling a comfortable with the girls already with the team and thinking she has a great shot at playing as a freshman also helped. She’s very excited with her choice.
Yes. Just one more to go. A 2027, who is probably the most talented of the four.

What I think a lot of folks on this board (by no fault of their own if they haven't been through the process) don't really understand is for most girls lacrosse player is not the most important factor in selecting a school. For the 2 of my girls who had many options, I believe both of them ended up at the school which had the worst lacrosse ranking.
Two thoughts. First, strength of lax program matters more to the posters on this board than it does to most of the top 100 players. For them, it’s a multi factor equation. Lacrosse program chance to win a natty is A factor but not THE factor.
Second—anyone who puts a lot of stock in “great chance to play as a freshman” is setting themselves up for disappointment. Fact.
While i agree with this statement, you have to put things in perspective. If you're a top ranked girl and are choosing between the top schools, you're really splitting hairs. You are highly valued and you're going to receive a great education no matter where you go. The differentiator often comes down to the team, coaching staff, etc. All very lacrosse centric factors. Lacrosse at those levels is basically a contract. You are giving the school your talents in return for an education. This is different for players who are not as highly valued.

if you're not a highly ranked player those options are simply limited. At that point you just want to get into a good school by using lacrosse as a vehicle to do so.

I think this is common sense. You don't have to have played the sport or been through the process as parent to understand it. So attacking posters on this board because they discuss recruiting rankings serves no purpose. Giving snide remarks like "through no fault of their own" gives off a bad impression. Rankings exists. We discuss rankings. We watch college lacrosse where teams are ranked and players earn accolades. I'm getting tired of this narrative that just because people discuss rankings, that must somehow be problematic. If your daughter got into a good school through lacrosse, congratulations. That's a great accomplishment. You can share insights on the process and educate others who come here curious about the process. But this thread is specifically about recruiting and recruiting rankings and how it works and the effects it can have on a program. So we discuss it. We have a thread where we discuss polls. None of these things are an exact science and no one claims them to be perfect. If you have an issue about people discussing rankings because you don't believe in them for whatever reason or don't think they matter, then maybe this isn't the place for you.
Please explain what you mean when you stated the following, "if you're not a highly ranked player those options are simply limited. At that point you just want to get into a good school by using lacrosse as a vehicle to do so."

What options are limited?

Regardless of the ranking of the school, if you are a D1 or D2 athlete, you are signing a contract to use your talents on the lacrosse team, potentially in return for some athletic scholarship money.
DMac

Post by DMac »

No daughters (three boys), a good part of the reason I'm not in the nuthouse or in jail.
The metamorphosis woulda been more than I can handle.
"Daddy, Tommy asked me if I would go to the prom with him."
"Tell him no!!!!!"
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

DMac wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:30 am
No daughters (three boys), a good part of the reason I'm not in the nuthouse or in jail.
The metamorphosis woulda been more than I can handle.
"Daddy, Tommy asked me if I would go to the prom with him."
"Tell him no!!!!!"
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

laxdadpat wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:28 am Big time college football appeals to athletes that play a spring sport. There is nothing like a college football Saturday(hello GameDay). Clemson's recruiting is impressive as well as a little surprising. Clemson is a big name today not because Clemson, South Carolina is a town any teenage girl outside of SC has ever heard of until 6 years ago. I liked Clemson when I was young for 1 reason, I watched the 1980 football national championship team. It's an experience more girls are looking for and many of those teams are not top ranked, but I think the big football schools will keep bringing in better lacrosse players. I was looking forward to some football weekends at the Horseshoe, then my daughter picked another big school she could picture herself at on Fall Saturday afternoons and playing lacrosse at in the spring. These girls seem to find the "best fit for them" as one poster put it best. I couldn't be prouder and can't wait for some of the best fall Saturdays of my life!
I agree it's a selling point, but mostly because the campus is buzzing all week. However, fall ball is usually right in the middle of lax season, most lax girls have sport commitments during the late Sept-late Oct games.

Oldest daughter goes to a "football school" but she has able to attend 8 or 9 home games in 4 football seasons and 5 of them were for recruiting weekends. Usually girls can only attend an early September game or a November game when the coaches are away recruiting. The rest of home games are usually scheduled against fall ball or a mandatory prospect day/sixes tourney/etc used for recruiting.
LaxDadMax

Post by LaxDadMax »

Relax77 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:40 pm Amazing the amount of winners on this site. Guy is happy about his daughter committing. Nothing in his post remotely controversial or negative about anybody and some troll has to come on and make a nonsense comment.
Appreciate it.
LaxNJ71

Post by LaxNJ71 »

Does anyone know what happened to the Wlax Numbers page on Facebook? We were using it to help inform my daughters’ recruiting process and checked it today and it seems to be gone. I know there are some other sources but they don’t have the info as up to date.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

LaxNJ71 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:58 pm Does anyone know what happened to the Wlax Numbers page on Facebook? We were using it to help inform my daughters’ recruiting process and checked it today and it seems to be gone. I know there are some other sources but they don’t have the info as up to date.
The person running/compiling got pissed off because some woman was stealing the work that was being done and posting it on other sites. So the person running it shut it down.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

spidey44 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:07 pm
LaxNJ71 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 1:58 pm Does anyone know what happened to the Wlax Numbers page on Facebook? We were using it to help inform my daughters’ recruiting process and checked it today and it seems to be gone. I know there are some other sources but they don’t have the info as up to date.
The person running/compiling got ticked off because some woman was stealing the work that was being done and posting it on other sites. So the person running it shut it down.
Took his ball and went home. Complete overreaction to one person but I’m guessing it’s so much work he may have been looking for a reason to stop doing it. And yes I know it was 1000% wrong for what that mother did.
LaxNJ71

Post by LaxNJ71 »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:23 pm
The person running/compiling got ticked off because some woman was stealing the work that was being done and posting it on other sites. So the person running it shut it down.
Took his ball and went home. Complete overreaction to one person but I’m guessing it’s so much work he may have been looking for a reason to stop doing it. And yes I know it was 1000% wrong for what that mother did.
Oh huh. So was the other person taking his numbers and making money off it? It’s interesting but not sure it was that interesting.
spidey44

Post by spidey44 »

LaxNJ71 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:31 pm
Oh huh. So was the other person taking his numbers and making money off it? It’s interesting but not sure it was that interesting.
I'm sure no money was being made by anyone, but she was sharing info and acting as if they were collaborating. WLax asked to stop using the info without permission, yet the woman kept using it. Anyway, it's too bad it's not up anymore. It was interesting to follow.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

Nope. Can’t see how she was profiting from it. But he Got 96 people on Facebook kissing his ass to please keep going. Everybody is relying on him. Like I mentioned. Wonder if he may have been looking for a way out. He took off the weekend traveling and probably realized he had a good two days not glued to he phone. 😁.
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:51 pm
Nope. Can’t see how she was profiting from it. But he Got 96 people on Facebook kissing his ass to please keep going. Everybody is relying on him. Like I mentioned. Wonder if he may have been looking for a way out. He took off the weekend traveling and probably realized he had a good two days not glued to he phone. 😁.
Seems to be a cynical take, given the original person had posted they started this project to help their daughter get recruited (it worked). They just then continued on doing it and then sharing this information with other parents. I think for many this was extremely helpful, maybe more so for the goalies.

It's a shame the person that took the data (whom I was told is a lawyer) decided to take the angle they did.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

Yes. He’s been doing since at least 2021. And extremely helpful. Figured he wouldn’t pack it in because of one arse.
LaxGnome22

Post by LaxGnome22 »

Florida State. 😳. Can we decommit? 😁
MolonLaxe

Post by MolonLaxe »

LaxGnome22 wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2023 5:11 pm Florida State. 😳. Can we decommit? 😁
Feel free! There's no coach yet, but this is exactly what Chepenik did when Clemson finally landed a coach. I'm certain we will see this play out for others and a ton of initial transfers to try to pump the roster up.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”