Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by 51percentcorn »

This will clearly help in recruiting but similar to a speaking seminar I attended last year with Jose Andres - when he came out to a standing ovation for about 5 minutes he said "I am not cooking" JGJR has in fact both used up his eligibility and played professional lacrosse so he will not be suiting up for Hopkins. Air Force's stats definitely were on the way up but then again they were starting to get better players too. If all this had happened one year earlier maybe Hop would have had a shot at O'Neill (the American version of JGJR) but maybe not. This could help really pique the interest of the Calvert Hall rising junior and others. One thing that has not been discussed to any extent is that with the decommitment of the attackmen from the 2021 class to Penn State - Hopkins has only 2 offensive players committed in that class. I'm all for smaller classes and extricating Hopkins from the hot mess of its roster size but you have to try to have balance in each class too.
AustinDangerPowers

Post by AustinDangerPowers »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:46 pm This will clearly help in recruiting but similar to a speaking seminar I attended last year with Jose Andres - when he came out to a standing ovation for about 5 minutes he said "I am not cooking" JGJR has in fact both used up his eligibility and played professional lacrosse so he will not be suiting up for Hopkins. Air Force's stats definitely were on the way up but then again they were starting to get better players too. If all this had happened one year earlier maybe Hop would have had a shot at O'Neill (the American version of JGJR) but maybe not. This could help really pique the interest of the Calvert Hall rising junior and others. One thing that has not been discussed to any extent is that with the decommitment of the attackmen from the 2021 class to Penn State - Hopkins has only 2 offensive players committed in that class. I'm all for smaller classes and extricating Hopkins from the hot mess of its roster size but you have to try to have balance in each class too.
Hopkins certainly won’t be alone with issues of roster size....definitely gonna have to redshirt a lot of players that won’t realistically see time and, unfortunately, make cuts. I love the hires, JGJR helps big time with appeal for recruiting and Koesterer is an all around boost as an alumnus and hot up and coming coordinator. Very excited for 2021.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

This is obviously a longterm hire, but just thinking in the immediate short term for next year, if there is anyone on the planet who can help Cole Williams reach his ceiling, it's probably JGJR. And certainly doesn't hurt for Grimes or any of the other young attackmen and midfielders on the roster/in the pipeline. I've heard we were very much in the running for the aforementioned Calvert Hall junior attackman and I can't imagine this would hurt those chances either.

They still have to prove it on the field but there's an excitement around this program I haven't felt in quite some time. You don't need to be making any outlandish predictions about Final Fours to at least acknowledge that. Great day to be a Jay.
laxphan16

Post by laxphan16 »

#INPETEWETRUST
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

So ... in just a month:

—Coach Milliman was hired;

—Jamison Koesterer was hired as DC;

—Jared Fernandez, the top-rated underclassman on the transfer portal, was “signed”;

—Cole Williams and Alex Concannon were coaxed back; and

—John Grant, Jr. was hired as OC.

That’s a pretty impressive job by Coach Milliman ... and AD Jen Baker has earned a big bonus.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

A few weeks ago people were genuinely in hysterics about about Hopkins going D3, the administration not caring one iota about lacrosse, no coach wanting to take the job, etc. Of course some of that was concern trolling by fans of other teams trying to make it seem like the situation was worse than it was, but still, a reminder that a lot of what you read online is complete and utter BS.

Before today I didn't think Teat wearing black and blue was much of a possibility but I must say now I am somewhat intrigued by the idea of it. If he wants another year to tune things up before he heads to the NLL/PLL, can't do a whole lot better than JGJR and his former coach. That of course would exacerbate the logjam at attack but Teat is probably one of those players you just get if given the chance and then sort everything else out later.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:08 pm Air Force's goals per game average increased from 7.6 to 11.3 after Junior was hired.
I'm as surpised and intrigued as anyone, but does anyone know what type of offense he ran at AF? All I know is that they beat Duke a couple of times during his tenure. Which is obviously not a bad thing!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:04 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:08 pm Air Force's goals per game average increased from 7.6 to 11.3 after Junior was hired.
I'm as surpised and intrigued as anyone, but does anyone know what type of offense he ran at AF? All I know is that they beat Duke a couple of times during his tenure. Which is obviously not a bad thing!
Considering our recent history against Duke, that’s pretty much all we need to know.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

primitiveskills wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:04 pm
I believe they utilized some pairs sets.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Jaysjay88

Post by Jaysjay88 »

DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:11 pm I mean, he is coaching, rather than playing, but at a minimum and even if he's not a great OC, this has to really help with recruiting. Will be very weird for Hop to be Canadian in style (I know there have been some successful Canadians at Hop - JT, Benn, etc - and we have a couple coming next year).
Unusual thing is, John Grant, Jr. could actually play attack if the rules permitted it. I think he was still playing professionally until very recently.

DocBarrister :shock: :o
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:01 pm A few weeks ago people were genuinely in hysterics about about Hopkins going D3, the administration not caring one iota about lacrosse, no coach wanting to take the job, etc. Of course some of that was concern trolling by fans of other teams trying to make it seem like the situation was worse than it was, but still, a reminder that a lot of what you read online is complete and utter BS.

Before today I didn't think Teat wearing black and blue was much of a possibility but I must say now I am somewhat intrigued by the idea of it. If he wants another year to tune things up before he heads to the NLL/PLL, can't do a whole lot better than JGJR and his former coach. That of course would exacerbate the logjam at attack but Teat is probably one of those players you just get if given the chance and then sort everything else out later.
Admin not giving lax the support its had in the past came from the deposed coaching staff, a former star player/podcaster, the local newspaper, every major lacrosse publication, espn analysts, alumni and famed forum commenters who are the most plugged in and was said here for years before that by many of you. In fairness to the admin, they're spending $ here during pandemic at a time when other parts of the school are cutting. I'm sure this guy and milliman are getting help to move their families and who knows what else is going into the roster construction. John Paul said on his IL podcast the budget item coaches were really going to be affected by w/covid was $ to go see recruits in person.

I signed up for the milliman q and a on the virtual hopkins homecoming thing saturday. Looking forward to a robust conversation. I will try to take notes if it isn't youtubed. I think it's alumni only(it's free) but they're not going to check when you register if you're a regular fan/player/relative/coach w/an interest.

https://events.jhu.edu/
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Anyone still want Steele Stanwick? 8-)
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:50 pm Anyone still want Steele Stanwick? 8-)
Ya Steleles incredible mind for the game could really put the squad over the top :roll:
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:38 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:01 pm A few weeks ago people were genuinely in hysterics about about Hopkins going D3, the administration not caring one iota about lacrosse, no coach wanting to take the job, etc. Of course some of that was concern trolling by fans of other teams trying to make it seem like the situation was worse than it was, but still, a reminder that a lot of what you read online is complete and utter BS.

Admin not giving lax the support its had in the past came from the deposed coaching staff, a former star player/podcaster, the local newspaper, every major lacrosse publication, espn analysts, alumni and famed forum commenters who are the most plugged in and was said here for years before that by many of you.
Schnydman and Brody no longer being on campus is not at all the same thing as what some people here were saying. It was complete, existential hand-wringing over the future of the program—predictions we'd drop down to D3, accusations that the new admin didn't care about the sport at all or were somehow trying to undermine/deprioritize/make it actively worse at every turn, assertions that they couldn't get any recruits they wanted in the door and that moving forward no one would want to come to Homewood anyway. They never made any sense then, and continue look ridiculous now. The AD is a lacrosse person, her boss the provost and former AD is a lacrosse person, and there are still lots and lots of wealthy/influential alums whom I'm sure had great relationships with Petro and were sad to see him leave but at the end of the day, their ultimate loyalty is not to any one person but to the Blue Jay shield. A turning ship is not necessarily a sinking one. In fact you could argue they've avoided the iceberg and from here on out it'll be smoother sailing.

If the argument for Steele as OC was "recruits will want to learn what he knows" then multiply that tenfold for JGJR. He's probably the most accomplished person in the history of the sport, and has won at every level as both a player and a coach.

JGJR can pretty much take his pick of what he wants to do in this sport—that he chose to pack his things and move to Charm City and set up shop in the Cordish Center is not only an endorsement of the current talent on the team but also of the future of the program as a whole from someone who had no prior allegiance/nothing forcing him to do so.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

What Hopkins is doing is pretty impressive.

Johns Hopkins coach Peter Milliman announced the hiring of John Grant, Jr. as the team’s offensive coordinator today. Grant, Jr. comes to Homewood from the United States Air Force Academy, where he spent the last two seasons as an assistant coach...

http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2020/05/11/joh ... t-hopkins/
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:12 pm
Schnydman and Brody no longer being on campus is not at all the same thing as what some people here were saying. It was complete, existential hand-wringing over the future of the program—predictions we'd drop down to D3, accusations that the new admin didn't care about the sport at all or were somehow trying to undermine/deprioritize/make it actively worse at every turn, assertions that they couldn't get any recruits they wanted in the door and that moving forward no one would want to come to Homewood anyway. They never made any sense then, and continue look ridiculous now. The AD is a lacrosse person, her boss the provost and former AD is a lacrosse person, and there are still lots and lots of wealthy/influential alums whom I'm sure had great relationships with Petro and were sad to see him leave but at the end of the day, their ultimate loyalty is not to any one person but to the Blue Jay shield. A turning ship is not necessarily a sinking one. In fact you could argue they've avoided the iceberg and from here on out it'll be smoother sailing.
Daniels has his own hire in Shanahan. Baker is Shanahan’s and Milliman is Baker’s. I think the admin was always going to support lacrosse, just not Petro.
This administration have their own recruits now, so to speak. Let’s see what they can do.
Last edited by nrthcrosslax on Wed May 13, 2020 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nrthcrosslax wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:34 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:12 pm
Daniels has his own hire in Shanahan. Baker is Shanahan’s and Milliman is Baker’s. I think the admin was always going to support lacrosse, just not Petro.
This administration has their own recruits now, so to speak. Let’s see what they can do.
Johns Hopkins is making these hires even as the university faces a $100 million budget deficit and President Daniels himself takes a 20% pay cut.

If you want to see a different approach, take a look at the distinguished Cornell program.

I think it’s fair to say that Johns Hopkins remains absolutely committed to excellence in lacrosse.

All three recent hires were “platinum level” hires.

I think we can put to rest the argument that President Daniels doesn’t support the lacrosse program. Defer to others about Coach Petro.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

so the staff now watches the tape of the current recruits/kids on the roster/looks at who's out there transfer wise and starts telling current kids whether they're in or out for next season this week?
Laxsmitty

Post by Laxsmitty »

You can't kick any of the 18 freshmen coming in off the team. Add to that the only tape on the kids who have not been starters is either from their old highlight video on YouTube or tape from the scrimmages in the fall/over the years. I would think every kid will be/should be given an opportunity to compete and show what they can do. These are all very competitive kids who want to be on the field and want the opportunity maybe not given them by the old staff for a variety of reasons that only the old staff would know. Open competition and may the best man win for each position.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”