Maryland 2024

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Maryland 2024

Post by Wheels »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 10:17 am Curious if Ajax takes O'Neill or Zawada. I assume he is used to negate Zawada's speed, then hope some combination of strength and slides can contain the MVP of the world.
Ajax is a disruptor. Given O'Neill's size, too, you need a bigger body on him. I'd guess Zapp will head to McAdorey now that he's at attack or Zawada to try to disrupt facilitators.
molo

Post by molo »

McAdorey was back at midfield yesterday with Williams back at attack. Who knows who will play where against Duke?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

molo wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:16 pm McAdorey was back at midfield yesterday with Williams back at attack. Who knows who will play where against Duke?
If McAdorey is back at midfield, I'd guess Ajax would take Zawada. Nothing like an old B1G match up!

I really like how Burlace has evolved. Off-ball guy last year. Taking more responsibility on ball this year. For such a huge person, he moves really well. Canfield is built like a truck.

I have a felling Dino would have preferred to see Princeton next week.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

McAdorey is going to be the matchup they have to win. Zawada is way less mobile in Duke's offense than he was against Michigan. Michigan would send him way up top to dodge from above the net and have Boehm at X and it caused Maryland problems. He really just sort of is stationary at X for Duke. Had a good season, but their offense can be pretty rigid. I think that benefits Maryland, as they can usually match up well 1v1 in man to man. But McAdorey is the gamebreaker, if he's getting a step out of the box, he's way too good a passer once you send the double team

Offensively gotta be more of the same. Duke's shorties can be got IMO, so get Malever and Erksa matched up on em out of the box, go to the invert, and see what you can make happen and if they start creating some offense for you. Also going to need another good shooting day like they had last night.

Jameison as a freshman goalie compared to Big Mac could be a swing in the Terps favor. You never know what you get out of freshman goalies in the tournament, hopefully Mac is dialed in again.

I have a feeling it'll be a close one down the stretch. Hope Terps can make plays
Finster

Post by Finster »

jrn19 wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 3:59 pm McAdorey is going to be the matchup they have to win. Zawada is way less mobile in Duke's offense than he was against Michigan. Michigan would send him way up top to dodge from above the net and have Boehm at X and it caused Maryland problems. He really just sort of is stationary at X for Duke. Had a good season, but their offense can be pretty rigid. I think that benefits Maryland, as they can usually match up well 1v1 in man to man. But McAdorey is the gamebreaker, if he's getting a step out of the box, he's way too good a passer once you send the double team

Offensively gotta be more of the same. Duke's shorties can be got IMO, so get Malever and Erksa matched up on em out of the box, go to the invert, and see what you can make happen and if they start creating some offense for you. Also going to need another good shooting day like they had last night.

Jameison as a freshman goalie compared to Big Mac could be a swing in the Terps favor. You never know what you get out of freshman goalies in the tournament, hopefully Mac is dialed in again.

I have a feeling it'll be a close one down the stretch. Hope Terps can make plays

McAdorey is prone to emotional mistakes. He’ll be very amped playing in front of his home crowd. He’ll either be great or awful, no in between.

I’d keep your eye on a local LI kid on Duke who is far better than his stats: Aidan Danenza. He and Johnson can sneak up on teams if those teams are overly focused on O’Neil, Zawada, and Williams. Your SSDM’s need to be dialed in.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

It was great to see the new looks on offense, the obvious ones being Malever and Erksa in the open field. But also Whittier getting a bunch of run (he gave himself a few great looks which he hopefully drains this week). Erksa also got himself great looks as well that didn't get cashed. Nice to see Signorello get a chance as well; he adds some much needed speed.

Then I was like who's big #42 on the man-up? Not sure why King hasn't played this year or if that was just a chance to get him into an already-decided game, but he's imposing out there. And there's Stobaugh; in hindsight I'm not sure what the plan was for him this year. Turnovers may have been too much of an issue to get him into a regular slot, but it seems like a wasted redshirt possibility for basically 1 shift a game.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:23 pm
molo wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 2:16 pm McAdorey was back at midfield yesterday with Williams back at attack. Who knows who will play where against Duke?
If McAdorey is back at midfield, I'd guess Ajax would take Zawada. Nothing like an old B1G match up!

I really like how Burlace has evolved. Off-ball guy last year. Taking more responsibility on ball this year. For such a huge person, he moves really well. Canfield is built like a truck.

it were me, i'd go with my guy on o'neill to start. see if he can beat him my best vs yours. he's put on over 20 pounds the last couple years, and is notably stronger. is the best at staying on hands, may win some lifts and can openers. and possibly the leverage at times even getting duke out of ball movement and resorting to bullyball with 34.

duke is best when they're drawing slides and hitting the next guy or 2. maryland best when they stay home on d. zapp would probably be more inclined to be help if he were on anyone else but o'neill. could always switch it up if it wasn't working.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:46 pm

it were me, i'd go with my guy on o'neill to start. see if he can beat him my best vs yours. he's put on over 20 pounds the last couple years, and is notably stronger. is the best at staying on hands, may win some lifts and can openers. and possibly the leverage at times even getting duke out of ball movement and resorting to bullyball with 34.

duke is best when they're drawing slides and hitting the next guy or 2. maryland best when they stay home on d. zapp would probably be more inclined to be help if he were on anyone else but o'neill. could always switch it up if it wasn't working.
I agree with this. I think you gotta start with Zaps on O’Neill. You don’t want O’Neill confident and engaged early. He can be prone to going on walks and Duke doesn’t have an offense geared to getting him the ball. If you can lock him out early and make him a passenger; then your defense can really settle in. The best bet for that is Zaps. Do I think Burlace could guard 34? Sure. But I don’t wanna bet on the not sure thing and then have him explode for 2-3 goals early and Duke’s offense is humming
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

jrn19 wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 12:17 am
wgdsr wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 12:46 pm

I agree with this. I think you gotta start with Zaps on O’Neill. You don’t want O’Neill confident and engaged early. He can be prone to going on walks and Duke doesn’t have an offense geared to getting him the ball. If you can lock him out early and make him a passenger; then your defense can really settle in. The best bet for that is Zaps. Do I think Burlace could guard 34? Sure. But I don’t wanna bet on the not sure thing and then have him explode for 2-3 goals early and Duke’s offense is humming
Point earlier about Zawada's usage at Michigan is important - he is very fast and effective on the run on his own accord....plus that forces the defense to move which opens up things down low for his HS teammate Dyson Williams. Seems to me MD has been beaten in tight more this year than prior years - cannot let Dyson score 5 goals having the ball in his stick for 6 seconds this weekend.
Finster

Post by Finster »

There were three keys to beating Duke by Cuse earlier this year:

1) Get the ball INSIDE for shots; Jamieson loves outside shots

2) Influenced turnovers are more valuable than caused turnovers…just don’t forget to get the resulting GB

3) Your goalie needs to be hot

Faceoff isn’t as critical. In that game, Duke’s Naso won 65% of the faceoffs. You simply need better defensive energy than their offense, which will lay down easier than most offenses when not winning.

You’re right though; better get off to a good start to defang that offense.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

For those interested the MIAA semi finals are tonight at Navy, and some MD recruits will be playing

BL
#18 Spencer Ford ‘24, attack
#5 Matt Higgins “25, attack

2024 MIAA A Lacrosse Semifinal 5:00PM: Gilman vs. Boys' Latin
https://www.youtube.com/live/c02jMFfb1v ... xNVXw1hTJ1

McDonogh
#35 Aidan Seibel ‘25, G
#27 Eli Schaller ‘25, M

2024 MIAA A Lacrosse Semifinal 7:30PM: McDonogh vs. Archbishop Spalding
https://www.youtube.com/live/9frvV0joNW ... mwailKWSG5
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Deemer Class put together a nice video on how Maryland's offense shredded Princeton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D47kYzKoVrw
camskidamski

Post by camskidamski »

Wheels wrote: Thu May 16, 2024 2:24 pm Deemer Class put together a nice video on how Maryland's offense shredded Princeton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D47kYzKoVrw
Sometimes guys/coaches who’ve been this far just know how to get it all done. Going to be exciting to see how the faceoffs shake out too. If Naso is close to 100% health, it could have a huge impact on the game. I like Duke’s defense individually but I think the Terps will be able to utilize some matchups effectively.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

The Last Ride: Peter Laake | ECD Lacrosse Original Documentary
https://youtu.be/6EohWGx_Pik?si=OZngBIW9tzmFdN9X
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

2024 MIAA A Lacrosse Championship 7:30PM: McDonogh vs. Boys' Latin
BL

McDonogh
#35 Aidan Seibel ‘25, G
#27 Eli Schaller ‘25, M

https://www.youtube.com/live/5SE6885IvT ... JB5lxYVNHC
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

AreaLax wrote: Fri May 17, 2024 11:20 am 2024 MIAA A Lacrosse Championship 7:30PM: McDonogh vs. Boys' Latin
BL

McDonogh
#35 Aidan Seibel ‘25, G
#27 Eli Schaller ‘25, M

https://www.youtube.com/live/5SE6885IvT ... JB5lxYVNHC
Terps guys looked real good. Ford will improve the Terps' net-front productivity next year (a high-end comp would be Zach Greer). Higgins looks like Ryan Young or pre-injury Malever. Schaller is built like a pit bull and shoots like Anthony DeMaio, and Seibel could be young Liam Entenmann with his height and skill.....Unfortunately the best player out there was McD's #9. I don't know how that team lost a game this year.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

#Phippseffect??????
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

I hate to say this, but with Weirman and the rest of this Terp crew, they could win this whole thing.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:15 pm I hate to say this, but with Weirman and the rest of this Terp crew, they could win this whole thing.

Hate to say this, but they will play UVA next. Then, if lucky, Notre Dame. They ain't winning this, but no other coach would get this team of misfits to the final 4. Tillman's best coaching job ever at Maryland, and that says a lot!
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

keno in reno wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:17 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 18, 2024 5:15 pm I hate to say this, but with Weirman and the rest of this Terp crew, they could win this whole thing.

Hate to say this, but they will play UVA next. Then, if lucky, Notre Dame. They ain't winning this, but no other coach would get this team of misfits to the final 4. Tillman's best coaching job ever at Maryland, and that says a lot!

That’s what I said at midseason.

I even said 2 goals from a B1G championship was an epic coaching job.

These guys have been forced to “be the best” they can possibly be. A Tillman offense cannot withstand these dropped passes

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”