All Things Environment

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
runrussellrun

Re: Climate Change & The Environment

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:46 pm Saw one of Trump’s farmers with his hand out talking about climate change....Old Iowa Daren said he doesn’t “believe in the climate change”....but he “has noticed that the climate is changing but he doesn’t want to call it climate change”. Probably afraid Trump will stop cutting him a check.
Has the government told him what the climate is changing too?

Currently, Iowa has four climate zones, 4b, 5b, 5a and 6a, where 4b has the low "extreme" of minus -25 degrees and 6a has an extreme low -10 to -5. Don't know where this Iowan farmer lives, but doubt he will be planting citrus trees within the next 150 years. Do you doubt also?

TLD, do you even know the federal dollars amounts (for grants) that get tossed around to all those with their hands out in Cambridge, Palo Alto, Chicago, etc. ?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:03 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:46 pm Saw one of Trump’s farmers with his hand out talking about climate change....Old Iowa Daren said he doesn’t “believe in the climate change”....but he “has noticed that the climate is changing but he doesn’t want to call it climate change”. Probably afraid Trump will stop cutting him a check.
Has the government told him what the climate is changing too?

Currently, Iowa has four climate zones, 4b, 5b, 5a and 6a, where 4b has the low "extreme" of minus -25 degrees and 6a has an extreme low -10 to -5. Don't know where this Iowan farmer lives, but doubt he will be planting citrus trees within the next 150 years. Do you doubt also?

TLD, do you even know the federal dollars amounts (for grants) that get tossed around to all those with their hands out in Cambridge, Palo Alto, Chicago, etc. ?
Poking fun at a guy that says it’s not climate change but the climate is changing. I find it funny.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science/cl ... cna1033646

It’s unlike anything we’ve seen in 2000 years.
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I suppose its settled....we are all gonna burn up. Kill off all the farting cows, stop using a/c refrigerants, no more jet travel, and boats larger than a 15 hp outboard must be sunk. Oh yea, you will only be issued electronic devices every 5 years, because manufacturing of precious must be halted. Then, and only then, will our planet will be saved for free college, free medical, free weed, and every house gets 2 free rolls of toilet paper (1-ply) that breaks in individual in triangles instead of squares to help extend the life of the roll. ;) :evil:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

runrussellrun wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:56 am
RedFromMI wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:49 pm Just because you are incapable of appreciating it does not invalidate it.
Oh.....I appreciate it, what makes you say otherwise?

back to the scientific method of experimentation..........what method are all your linked studies replicating?

There's NOTHING that screams science more than the blank stares, insults and the moth eaten if you could destroy my sweater, usual pulled out talking points, especially the scary word EXTREME, just after being asked, "what climate are we now and what climate are we changing too? "

Any scientists that can't answer this question......ain't.

Besides......is HE wrong?

Absolutely. See links below...

https://thefederalist.com/2016/09/30/xk ... ge-denial/

Bear in mind that the supposedly crazy upward swerve in temperatures over the last 50 years or so is actually well within the overall range of temperatures from the past 11,000 years. So it’s entirely likely that this kind of variation is totally normal but is just smoothed out of the pre-1880 estimates. And the Marcott authors were forced to admit that at the time, clarifying that “the 20th century portion of our paleotemperature stack is not statistically robust” and “cannot be considered representative of global temperature changes.” In other words, their hockey stick has no blade. Yet here is XKCD, repeating exactly that mistake.
https://skepticalscience.com/broken-hockey-stick.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_stick_controversy (yes I know it is Wikipedia, but it contains references to the issue from other sources)
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:47 am I suppose its settled....we are all gonna burn up. Kill off all the farting cows, stop using a/c refrigerants, no more jet travel, and boats larger than a 15 hp outboard must be sunk. Oh yea, you will only be issued electronic devices every 5 years, because manufacturing of precious must be halted. Then, and only then, will our planet will be saved for free college, free medical, free weed, and every house gets 2 free rolls of toilet paper (1-ply) that breaks in individual in triangles instead of squares to help extend the life of the roll. ;) :evil:
Little steps.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:03 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:47 am I suppose its settled....we are all gonna burn up. Kill off all the farting cows, stop using a/c refrigerants, no more jet travel, and boats larger than a 15 hp outboard must be sunk. Oh yea, you will only be issued electronic devices every 5 years, because manufacturing of precious must be halted. Then, and only then, will our planet will be saved for free college, free medical, free weed, and every house gets 2 free rolls of toilet paper (1-ply) that breaks in individual in triangles instead of squares to help extend the life of the roll. ;) :evil:
Little steps.
Name some of those steps. Not asking for much, how about 3 or 4 steps.....to take.

SHort and pithy, nice and sleazy.....does it, does it , does it every time. Cue JJ's bass ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzWrBg8lHFM
Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:46 am
Little steps.
Name some of those steps. Not asking for much, how about 3 or 4 steps.....to take.

SHort and pithy, nice and sleazy.....does it, does it , does it every time. Cue JJ's bass ......

Turn down your thermostat, recycle, turn off a light when you leave the room, open up your windows, use a fan, use public transportation etc, eat less meat, buy a hybrid. I am sure there are lots of things.

6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Yep. 1.5 degrees every 100 years or so.

we'll all self combust
Last edited by 6ftstick on Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Well bust my buttons

13 years after Al Gore’s “Inconvenient Truth” guilt/fear producing predictions, let’s close by examining just how accurate his “science” proved to be on his way to the bank.

1. Rising Sea Levels – inaccurate and misleading. Al was even discovered
purchasing a beachfront mansion!

2. Increased Tornadoes – declining for decades.

3. New Ice Age in Europe – they’ve been spared; it never happened.

4. South Sahara Drying Up – completely untrue.

5. Massive Flooding in China and India – again didn’t happen.

6. Melting Arctic – false – 2015 represents the largest refreezing in years.

7. Polar Bear Extinction – actually they are increasing!

8. Temperature Increases Due to CO2 – no significant rising for over 18 years.

9. Katrina a Foreshadow of the Future – false – past 10 years, no F3 hurricanes; “longest drought ever!”

10. The Earth Would be in a “True Planetary Emergency” Within a Decade Unless Drastic Action Taken to Reduce Greenhouse Gasses – never happened.

And less we forget

This hysteria and apocalyptic fear mongering reminds many of the 1970 Earth Day predictions that fizzled like a firecracker:

End of civilization in 15-30 years
100-200 million deaths to starvation yearly for 10 years
A new ice age by 2000

Whoopsie

Patrick Moore, the legendary, past president of Greenpeace says:
“There is no definitive scientific proof through real-world observation that carbon dioxide is responsible for any of the slight warming of global climate which has occurred during the past 300 years.” He rejects the “science is settled” and “the debate is over.”

http://humansarefree.com/2018/01/al-gor ... tions.html
Typical Lax Dad

6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

Well skippy according to you folks that's weather not climate.

Al Jazeera? :lol: :lol: :lol:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

6ftstick wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:35 pm Well bust my buttons

13 years after Al Gore’s “Inconvenient Truth” guilt/fear producing predictions, let’s close by examining just how accurate his “science” proved to be on his way to the bank.

1. Rising Sea Levels – inaccurate and misleading. Al was even discovered
purchasing a beachfront mansion!

Except that it actually is rising, and the rate of rise is beginning to increase (as predicted). Most of the sea level rise predictions were for quite some time in the future anyway (like what the sea level would become in 2100). The film was an exaggeration here, though as it used the most pessimistic model available.

2. Increased Tornadoes – declining for decades.

3. New Ice Age in Europe – they’ve been spared; it never happened.

4. South Sahara Drying Up – completely untrue.

5. Massive Flooding in China and India – again didn’t happen.

6. Melting Arctic – false – 2015 represents the largest refreezing in years.

But the actual ice level is lower now...

7. Polar Bear Extinction – actually they are increasing!

Not actually clear this is happening, and their territory is actually declining. Some local population increase has occured due to changes in what Canada has allowed for hunting, for example. See: https://polarbearsinternational.org/res ... t-booming/

8. Temperature Increases Due to CO2 – no significant rising for over 18 years.

Picking one abnormally high data point to measure from is cherry picking data. Data since then and actually looking at the not quite that recent historical past mean this is FALSE.

9. Katrina a Foreshadow of the Future – false – past 10 years, no F3 hurricanes; “longest drought ever!”

Fujita scale is used for tornadoes, not hurricanes, where the Saffir-Simpson scale (categories 1-5) are used. Not sure of the point here, but bad hurricanes still occur. The more recent ones have not necessarily been as intense with respect to peak winds (and therefore damage from such, but huge tidal surges wiping out whole communities (Mexico Beach, FL) and drowning large portions of a major city (Houston) and state (NC) due to excessive rains have been an issue.

10. The Earth Would be in a “True Planetary Emergency” Within a Decade Unless Drastic Action Taken to Reduce Greenhouse Gasses – never happened.

Certainly a lot of the hype in the film was overblown. The temperature predictions were actually correct. The CO2 level predictions were right. See: https://science.howstuffworks.com/envir ... l-gore.htm

And less we forget

This hysteria and apocalyptic fear mongering reminds many of the 1970 Earth Day predictions that fizzled like a firecracker:

End of civilization in 15-30 years
100-200 million deaths to starvation yearly for 10 years
A new ice age by 2000

Whoopsie

Patrick Moore, the legendary, past president of Greenpeace says:
“There is no definitive scientific proof through real-world observation that carbon dioxide is responsible for any of the slight warming of global climate which has occurred during the past 300 years.” He rejects the “science is settled” and “the debate is over.”

http://humansarefree.com/2018/01/al-gor ... tions.html
Typical Lax Dad

6ftstick wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:59 pm
Well skippy according to you folks that's weather not climate.

Al Jazeera? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Figured why not Al Jazeera. I guess the organization favors Dems.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

http://www.drroyspencer.com/global-warm ... r-manmade/ Yet again I understand that in the eyes of most folks here the good doctor is not a "real scientist" Just thought I would post this one more time for everybody to enjoy. :D
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:37 pm http://www.drroyspencer.com/global-warm ... r-manmade/ Yet again I understand that in the eyes of most folks here the good doctor is not a "real scientist" Just thought I would post this one more time for everybody to enjoy. :D
You have anyone else besides Spencer?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:54 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:37 pm http://www.drroyspencer.com/global-warm ... r-manmade/ Yet again I understand that in the eyes of most folks here the good doctor is not a "real scientist" Just thought I would post this one more time for everybody to enjoy. :D
A whole bunch. He is my favorite because he is the most hated and reviled man among all the scientists that do research in this field. If you go to his site and read his blogs he references countless other of his fellow scientists that he has done research with. JHU hates his guts so that gives him all the credibility in the world in my book... :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... rojections since you asked
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Typical Lax Dad

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:10 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:54 pm
A whole bunch. He is my favorite because he is the most hated and reviled man among all the scientists that do research in this field. If you go to his site and read his blogs he references countless other of his fellow scientists that he has done research with. JHU hates his guts so that gives him all the credibility in the world in my book... :D
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... rojections since you asked
Hate is a strong word. Spencer has been de-bunked
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:46 pm
Little steps.

Turn down your thermostat, make the AC COLDER, requiring more energy helps? How? recycle,proven UN turn off a light when you leave the room, open up your windows, use a fan, use public transportation etc, Rutland don't have any. eat less meat, buy a hybrid. NO I am sure there are lots of things.

Typical Lax Dad

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:49 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:46 pm
Little steps.

Turn down your thermostat, make the AC COLDER, requiring more energy helps? How? recycle,proven UN turn off a light when you leave the room, open up your windows, use a fan, use public transportation etc, Rutland don't have any. eat less meat, buy a hybrid. NO I am sure there are lots of things.

Turn it down in the winter and put on a sweatshirt like I do...if everyone did the little things, we would not have the problems we do. Composting is another good idea. How about some nuclear energy. That’s another option. But you can’t build your own reactor. A person can install a geothermal system. You may have done that.

Return to “POLITICS”