Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by jhu06 »

OCanada wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:16 pm Pavlov ‘s dog whistling again. I liked the dog named Bierka. They didn’t hire a lot of coaches who they did not interview. The Hopkins lax community at the HOF ceremony was interesting. Don’t think you were there.
I was not there-care to explain?

During the Petro era players came and went including guys who actually won games for us including in the postseason. We should also point out that Hopkins has long had one of the highest attrition rates of kids not graduating and transferring among the general student population. You add in a sport, and multiple coaching changes and it's not surprising there's turnover. Jameson's reputation as a player and coach is proven, can't say that about some of these kids dropping off the roster.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:49 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:50 am
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:58 am
Sometimes I like to imagine PM getting suspended for two games due to an NCAA violation — as Nads was in 2021 — and wonder what Sag A's reaction to that would have been. Always a funny image, I suggest it for anyone who's in need of a chuckle.

It's fall, players get cut or decide they don't want to play anymore. It happens with lots and lots of teams. I don't know the specifics with Rodgers or Fernandez but both have extensive injury histories.
At least Nads doesn't run off his best players.
Oh I seem to recall the Hop athletic Department had some NCAA violations a few years back......
Nobody's perfect.....but in college ball....don't run off your best players.
Coach has no personality. All he can do is yell at people. Get's old.
All he's brought to the table thus far is a dysfunctional team.
OK. They didn't hire Nadelen. He's moved on. Maybe you should do the same.

Those violations you referenced occurred under the previous staff. If you're looking for dysfunction, that's a good place to start. PM did not exactly inherit a great situation. Remember Jack Rapine? Pat Foley? Joel Tinney? Drew Supinski? Taite Cattoni? Did you cry when any of those personnel debacles went down? No? You seem to have quite a conveniently selective memory.
Oh but I did cry. When Rapine left I said that Rome was burning.
Everyone laughed at me.
Who's laughing now?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

There just wasn’t a slam dunk candidate to replace Petro - well at least one who would take the job. Understand the appeal of Marr of Nads and even Raymond and Voelker and Tierney. But none of them were clearly superior to PM in my view. I’ve been disappointed in PMs results so far, but still need to give it some time. Hopefully l, the Crawley addition helps. That said, don’t have any details or inside info, but it does seem like there’s some weird juju around the program. The Epstein stuff was very strange. As was the JGJr stuff. And now Fernandez too. Hopefully, it’s just normal transition stuff but I’m not entirely sure.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Petro kept his staff together for like 15 years. In retrospect, he probably should have made some changes, especially with the D coordinator.
But this Coach has turned his staff over within two years. In addition, you got the Epstein debacle and the Murphy debacle, plus more guys walking out the door this year. This is all so messed up.
They needed to see the red flags with this guy before bringing him in here.
I just don't think they did their due diligence at all and as a result the program is on a clear downslope.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

nyjay wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:48 pm There just wasn’t a slam dunk candidate to replace Petro - well at least one who would take the job. Understand the appeal of Marr of Nads and even Raymond and Voelker and Tierney. But none of them were clearly superior to PM in my view. I’ve been disappointed in PMs results so far, but still need to give it some time. Hopefully l, the Crawley addition helps. That said, don’t have any details or inside info, but it does seem like there’s some weird juju around the program. The Epstein stuff was very strange. As was the JGJr stuff. And now Fernandez too. Hopefully, it’s just normal transition stuff but I’m not entirely sure.
From a FAR outside perspective, it doesn't seem too bad. I didn't like the Epstein stuff, but Epstein's game was really impacted by his injury, and I was hoping he'd redshirt 2020, but then Petro was playing him when he looked about 50%. So, the whole Epstein thing going back before PM was weird. Fernandez may be a case of just wanting to move on. He had been in college for awhile now. I can totally understand that, especially with all the injuries. Regarding JGJr, I applaud when a coach can recognize that it isn't the right fit. I don't know if it was JG or PM who realized it, but it's good to move on if things aren't working. As a Syracuse fan, if Petro doesn't help the defense improve in the next couple years, I hope he moves on.

It's been a lot of stuff, but it seems more bad luck than bad juju.
laxerr20

Post by laxerr20 »

Sometimes I like to imagine PM getting suspended for two games due to an NCAA violation — as Nads was in 2021 — and wonder what Sag A's reaction to that would have been. Always a funny image, I suggest it for anyone who's in need of a chuckle.

It's fall, players get cut or decide they don't want to play anymore. It happens with lots and lots of teams. I don't know the specifics with Rodgers or Fernandez but both have extensive injury histories.
Oh I seem to recall the Hop athletic Department had some NCAA violations a few years back......

Those violations you referenced occurred under the previous staff. If you're looking for dysfunction, that's a good place to start. PM did not exactly inherit a great situation. Remember Jack Rapine? Pat Foley? Joel Tinney? Drew Supinski? Taite Cattoni? Did you cry when any of those personnel debacles went down? No? You seem to have quite a conveniently selective memory.

what happened with pat foley and Cattoni?
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

laxerr20 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:23 pm

what happened with pat foley and Cattoni?
Foley wasn’t welcomed back when he still had eligibility despite being the teams best cover guy. Essentially voted off the team. That was strange. Cattoni was gone so quick all I ever heard was there was some maturity issues and struggles academically (beyond his injury) which isn’t that unusual.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:15 pm Petro kept his staff together for like 15 years. In retrospect, he probably should have made some changes, especially with the D coordinator.
But this Coach has turned his staff over within two years. In addition, you got the Epstein debacle and the Murphy debacle, plus more guys walking out the door this year. This is all so messed up.
I just don't think they did their due diligence at all and as a result the program is on a clear downslope.
what were the red flags before bringing him in?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:16 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:15 pm Petro kept his staff together for like 15 years. In retrospect, he probably should have made some changes, especially with the D coordinator.
he recruited too many good players. Sag A prefers guys who lose like at Towson and Albany
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

ohmilax34 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:17 pm It's been a lot of stuff, but it seems more bad luck than bad juju.
Maybe. I honestly have no idea, but it is a little weird, and it does make me a little nervous. It's the start of year 3, would have hoped things would be a little more stable by now.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

OCanada wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:50 pm I think i hear Pavlov’s dog howling.
More like Pavlov's cat.
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
molo

Post by molo »

The assertion that Hopkins has a significant attrition rate pops up here from time to time, but from what I have read, the six year graduation rate is over 90% as one would expect of a highly selective institution. I’m sure the academic demands are tough and the workload challenging, but most virtually everyone who gets in graduates, as well they should.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Pavlov’s dog hoeling about realities he does not really know. PM should adopt and nurse him
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:16 pm
Inability to handle the face guarding of Teat in the Ivy playoff game they lost a couple years back was pretty bad. Thing about “discipline” and micromanager control guys is it’s never enough and if you don’t find success most always lay the blame at the kids. More time would be needed but cutting through the talk of a control/discipline coach is important, we have two in geneva now and the admin loves their talk so they’ll never lose their jobs despite a lot of errors that should be coaching sourced (mental errors & penalties).
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

molo wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:51 pm The assertion that Hopkins has a significant attrition rate pops up here from time to time, but from what I have read, the six year graduation rate is over 90% as one would expect of a highly selective institution. I’m sure the academic demands are tough and the workload challenging, but most virtually everyone who gets in graduates, as well they should.
I was thinking the same thing unless they’re pulling a Temple/Columbia USNews info doesnt and hasn’t indicated a high attrition rate. Coming from STEM driven hop alums I’m surprised this is misrepresented so frequently.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:24 am Inability to handle the face guarding of Teat in the Ivy playoff game they lost a couple years back was pretty bad.
Except they won that game? And Teat still had 6 pts?

It was the following year when Yale exacted revenge, but they DIDN'T shut Teat off that time. He had 5 goals.

And I don't think Sag was talking about X's and O's.

If a coach's worst "red flag" was a somewhat questionable in-game strategy in a game they won by six goals, then there probably weren't too many red flags.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:48 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:24 am Inability to handle the face guarding of Teat in the Ivy playoff game they lost a couple years back was pretty bad.
Except they won that game? And Teat still had 6 pts?

It was the following year when Yale exacted revenge, but they DIDN'T shut Teat off that time. He had 5 goals.

And I don't think Sag was talking about X's and O's.

If a coach's worst "red flag" was a somewhat questionable in-game strategy in a game they won by six goals, then there probably weren't too many red flags.
Defense wasn’t great there either, he was pretty unproven with those questions when hired no doubt. Program was in flux but he could’ve been part of it. John Svec did everything in his power to undermine TW Johnson in geneva after a Kerwick got blown out. It’s possible PM was doing same to Kerwick in Cornell given circumstances and that’s toxic. We don’t know but his results in Cornell as HC were underwhelming based on realistic expectations. He was a gamble for sure and it’s unclear how it plays out yet. Too early to defend and rewrite prior history and too soon to declare time of death. But it its a winning bet it’s looking like a slow to develop execution like Shay compared with some who hit the ground running a little faster.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:33 pm rewrite prior history.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Doth declare the king of Hopkins chat boards.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

I don't know but it just seems to me that Daniel's whole deal is to do whatever he can to throw the alumni under the bus,
break with history and tradition as much as possible, remold the University in his image, do whatever he can to undermine the Lacrosse program which has been a thorn in his side for years, all in the name of chasing the chimera of USNWR rankings....
Then they have the nerve to call us up asking for donations...
I'm sorry, but I'm just very disinclined to give these days.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”