Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Maryland75

Re: Miscellaneous questions, thoughts, impressions, etc.

Post by Maryland75 »

Leubecker is too quick for a big body to cover and Grace Griffin would then run through a zone. Maryland has more weapons then you are giving them credit for. Libby May is another one who can put points on the board.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

Maryland75 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:51 pm Leubecker is too quick for a big body to cover and Grace Griffin would then run through a zone. Maryland has more weapons then you are giving them credit for. Libby May is another one who can put points on the board.
Clevenger is also showing that she is a good a feeder
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:21 pm
seacoaster wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:33 pm
user1020 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:15 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:13 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:27 am Aurora Cordingley (32G, 25A)
Hannah Leubecker (27G, 5A)
Libby May (20G, 1A)
Eloise Clevenger (8G, 14A)

Not a very balanced Maryland attack. Have any teams committed to faceguarding Cordingley yet this season?
I think you FG Cordingley and put your best defender on match up with Leubecker. Force everyone else to beat you.

The other scorer's numbers are also inflated due to level of competition, so, if they played a more difficult schedule, the numbers would be down.
Agree. Their offense will be very disrupted if defenses do this
Doesn't JMU usually play a zone? If so, I get the FG on 45. But how then to simmer down Leubecker?
Put a big body on her and face guard her too?
Two face guards could open up too much space to run a zone effectively. You’ve now got 5 people trying to cover the same amount of ground that is normally covered by 7.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Article on conference realignment

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

The cost of conference realignment: Stony Brook, James Madison lacrosse left to fight for at-large bids to NCAA tournament
By Edward Lee . Baltimore Sun . Feb 18, 2022

Rayna Sabella might have had a few choice words after she and the rest of her Stony Brook women’s lacrosse teammates learned the America East would not permit them to participate in the conference tournament, which the Seawolves have captured eight years in a row.
But the graduate student midfielder and league’s returning Co-Defensive Player of the Year took a more diplomatic approach when asked about the ban making it more difficult for Stony Brook to qualify for the NCAA tournament.
“Ticks us off is the perfect phrase,” she said of the Seawolves, who have made eight straight NCAA postseason appearances. “It fuels our fire because now we’ve got to work even harder to get into the tournament. We have that in the backs of our minds every single day, and we need to use that as motivation.”
The 2022 season presents unique challenges to the Stony Brook men’s and women’s and James Madison women’s programs. Because of their universities’ decisions to leave the America East and the Colonial Athletic Association, respectively, beginning the 2022-23 academic year, those three teams are prohibited from competing for their league tournament championships — although they are still eligible for the regular-season titles.

That means the Seawolves and Dukes will not be able to win the tournament and claim the automatic qualifier to the NCAA postseason, forcing them to earn one of a small number of at-large berths to vie for the national championship.
Without the safety net of automatic qualifiers to the NCAA tournament, the No. 4 Stony Brook and No. 13 James Madison women’s teams face the very real prospect of being left out of the postseason despite their lofty rankings.

“I have no doubt that both of these teams could earn an at-large bid with their difficult schedules,” ESPN analyst and former Maryland defender Courtney Martinez Connor wrote via direct message. “But they have a tough road ahead.”
That path for the Dukes — who have won the past four CAA tournament crowns and five of the past six — has already hit a pair of speed bumps. A resume-building win against No. 2 North Carolina evaporated in a 15-8 setback last Saturday, and a 10-9 loss to Virginia Tech followed Wednesday.
Coach Shelley Klaes, who led James Madison to the program’s first national championship in 2018, acknowledged that the absence of league tournament play has created pressure. But she pointed out that with 15 more games on the schedule, the players and coaches can’t avoid the scrutiny.
“Our schedule is tough,” she said. “So we’re going to have to do this time and time again. So we can’t be afraid of a loss right now. There’s a lot of parity in this sport, there are ranked teams that already have losses, and we’ve got to make sure we use this to make ourselves better.”

Critics might argue that the programs should have braced for such a scenario when James Madison announced Nov. 6 that it was departing the CAA for the Sun Belt Conference — the lacrosse team will play in the American Athletic Conference, however — and Stony Brook announced Jan. 25 that it was leaving the America East for the CAA.
American, East Carolina and Richmond were not allowed to compete for championships after they announced their decisions to leave the CAA in 2001. The same thing happened to George Mason and Old Dominion in 2013 and the Penn State men’s lacrosse program in 2014. A similar fate fell on Boston University after it announced a plan to move from the America East to the Patriot League in 2012.
But in every instance, it was the student-athletes who bore the brunt of the consequences, taking part in seasons with no conference rewards at the end.
“I definitely think none of us like that rule,” Sabella said. “We think that’s something we as student-athletes are getting punished for. One, it wasn’t our decision, and two, it’s something that we work so hard for our whole lives, especially to compete collegiately, and then to get that taken away from us, that’s not fair.”
Seawolves men’s lacrosse coach Anthony Gilardi said the ban is especially deflating for players who overcame a canceled 2020 season exacerbated by the coronavirus pandemic and elected to delay pursuing academic or work plans for another chance to capture a conference title.
“We have some fifth-year seniors and a sixth-year senior who came back and some grad transfers,” said Gilardi, who was the offensive coordinator at Towson for eight years before getting hired in 2019. “So I think there was an initial disappointment and trying to figure out why a decision like that was in the rules and was upheld with all these kids have been through. So we’ve talked through that as a program understanding that in life, things are out of your control. You’ve got to control what you can control, and for us, it’s continuing to focus on being the best team we can be and enjoying every second together.”
The absence of league tournaments enhances the significance of the teams’ nonconference schedules. The Stony Brook men, who have not reached the NCAA tournament since 2012, will meet No. 6 Rutgers and No. 9 Syracuse.
The Stony Brook women will face No. 3 Syracuse, No. 5 Northwestern, No. 7 Florida and No. 16 Princeton, while James Madison will tangle with No. 8 Maryland, No. 10 Virginia, No. 17 Rutgers and No. 19 Drexel.
Martinez Connor said the women’s programs are more than capable of winning those high-profile games to burnish their at-large resumes.
“They just need to do the work on the field,” she said. “With other teams now winning the AE and CAA conferences since JMU and Stony Brook are out of the picture, it just means fewer at-large spots will be available.”
Some hope appeared to flicker Tuesday when the Horizon League reversed its decision to bar University of Illinois at Chicago from the conference tournament after that school announced Jan. 25 that it was moving to Missouri Valley Conference. But spokespeople for both the CAA and America East said Thursday that the leagues’ stances have not budged.
Players on all three teams are justifiably angered and frustrated. But Klaes said they have to redirect them into being more productive.
“It’s motivation and focus, but in the end, there’s nothing we can do about it,” she said. “So I think the emotion of anger and frustration, they don’t tend to serve athletes well. So how can we use that motivate us but channel that energy in the right direction so that we can still play free and play loose?”
Gilardi said he talked to Penn State coach Jeff Tambroni about his Nittany Lions being prohibited from competing for the 2014 CAA tournament championship.
“One of the things he told me was, you can’t let the hate and the frustration build up and fuel you because if you lose a close game or something happens, now you’ve kind of lost your team,” Gilardi said. “You’ve got to stay true to who you are, your core values, your culture and your mission as much as possible. So we’ve kind of used that advice, and that has helped us. We’re focused on us.”
The same goes for Sabella and her teammates on the Seawolves women’s team. Sabella said making a deep run in the NCAA tournament without the America East’s support would be a worthy response to the league’s decision.
“I would say that’s the very definition of going out with a bang,” she said with a laugh. “I definitely think we would let them know that despite their rule, we’re still going far, and we’re still thriving.”
OuttaNowhereWregget

Taylor Cummings picks conference champions

We’re officially two months into the 2022 season and have seen a little bit of everything thus far.
Some players have had consistently outstanding performances, while others have come into their own in the past few games. We have teams who have been solid all the way through and other programs that are starting to peak at the right time.
Now with the calendar about to flip to April, the lacrosse world has a much clearer picture of this season’s top conference and national championship contenders, a few dark horses that could stand in their way and potential Tewaaraton Award winners. Good news for us, though, is that there is still much more lacrosse to be played!
This week’s edition of “Taylor’s Takes” will stand as a midseason review and a prediction for conference champions, and next week’s will dive deeper into my predicted NCAA Final Four, dark horse teams and my current Tewaaraton Award top five.

WAY-TOO-EARLY PREDICTIONS
AUTOMATIC BIDS
AAC — Despite solid seasons from Vanderbilt (7-3) and Temple (7-4), I think it will be the Florida Gators (6-4) who come out on top in the AAC. Florida’s four losses came at the hands of top 10 teams, and some were incredibly close. They have some of the nation’s top players, including Sarah Reznick, Emma LoPinto and Danielle Pavinelli leading the way for a young Gators squad. Their high-level game experience, along with their previous dominance in the conference, will be relied upon as they move through conference play in April.
ACC — The ACC is constantly seen as a gauntlet, and this season is no different. Many of us were glued to our TVs as we watched North Carolina (11-0, 4-0) and Boston College (9-1, 3-1) compete a few weekends ago. We’ve also been in awe of the offensive prowess of Duke (12-1, 3-1), the balance of Syracuse (9-2, 4-0), and the resilience of teams like Notre Dame (4-6, 1-3) and Virginia (4-6, 1-3). My gut tells me that with the Tar Heels’ senior leadership and experience, it will be a UNC-v-Syracuse championship game with UNC coming out on top, but this is a conference tournament where literally anything can happen.  
America East — Stony Brook (7-2, 1-0) is looking like the top team in the America East once again with midfielder Ellie Masera leading the charge. Unfortunately, the Seawolves’ move from the America East to the CAA will prevent this year’s talented team from participating in the conference tournament, leaving Joe Spallina’s team searching for an at-large bid. If that remains true, my bet is that Albany (3-4, 1-0) will be the team to beat during conference championships. Despite a losing record, the Great Danes have played tight games against storied programs, and that experience will come in handy during the first week of May.
ASUN — Both the Jacksonville men’s and women’s programs have been making splashes this season and continue to get national recognition, but conference foes Kennesaw State (8-4), Liberty (6-4) and Coastal Carolina (4-5) have had success this season, too. Despite other in-conference challengers and a tough loss to Notre Dame in March, Jacksonville (5-3) has been solid all season and is my ASUN pick. The Dolphins’ balance on offense, combined with solid goalie play and defensive work, will make them a challenge for any in-conference teams.
Atlantic 10 — This season’s Atlantic 10 championship may come down to two of the nation’s top contenders in UMass (8-2, 2-0) and Richmond (8-2, 1-0). Both programs have competed against some of the nation’s best teams, but of the two, Richmond has found more success. They secured a big win against Stanford thanks to lockdown defensive play and closely competed against national powerhouses James Madison and Virginia, which will be confidence-builders as the Spiders get deeper into conference play.
Big East — The Big East is one of my favorite conferences to watch this year because there is so much talent across the board. UConn (8-1) has All-American superstar Sydney Watson, Villanova (4-7) took a ranked Michigan team down to the wire and Georgetown (5-5) has competed solidly against some top teams. However, I think it will be Denver (10-1) that takes the trophy and this season’s automatic qualifier for the NCAA tournament. The Pios are talented across the board, but I believe that it’s their defense, led by former McDonogh player Sam Thacker, that will secure the Big East title and take them far into the NCAA tourney.
Big South — High Point (1-7), Furman (0-5) and Winthrop (1-7) have been solid contenders for the Big South title in recent memory, but Mercer (5-2, 1-0) is now bursting onto the scene this season. The Bears have big wins over Kennesaw State and Oregon, and they closely competed with USC. With their confidence growing at the perfect point in time, this may be the Bears’ title to lose. 
Big Ten — It seems like the Big Ten gets more competitive with each passing year. There are currently five ranked teams within the conference and so much back and forth between them. After watching many games this season, though, I think it will be another Northwestern (8-2, 2-0)-v-Maryland (8-1, 1-0) matchup at the end of conference play that will determine the NCAA automatic qualifier. Northwestern is led by superstars Lauren Gilbert (attack) and Madison Doucette (goalie), while the Terps have Aurora Cordingley (attack) and Emily Sterling (goalie) leading the way. While Northwestern is extremely talented and will make a deep NCAA run, I think the Terps will win it due to their balance on offense and hunger to get back on top. 

CAA — The CAA is one of the most competitive conferences around. Drexel (6-4) splashed onto the championship scene last season and is continuing its rise new leadership, while consistent contenders Towson (3-5), James Madison (6-4) and Hofstra (6-4) remain threats. After watching JMU compete this weekend live against the Terps, my gut tells me the Dukes will make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. But they will not be able to do so as the CAA’s automatic qualifier because of an upcoming conference change. With that in mind, I think Drexel will continue its ascent to claim the CAA title and earn the automatic bid. The Dragons have threats all over the field, have experience in the conference tournament itself and will want to avenge last year’s loss. 
Ivy League — It’s so great to have the Ivy League back in action this season after a COVID hiatus. Some teams like Princeton (6-2, 1-0) and Yale (5-2, 2-0) have hit the ground running, while NCAA tournament fixture Penn (2-6, 0-2) has struggled to get back into its groove. After watching a few Ivy teams compete in the first two months of the season, I believe Chris Sailer’s Tigers will win the Ivy. They have all-star attacker Kyla Sears and lockdown defender Marge Donovan leading the way with a vengeance and hunger we haven’t seen before.
MAAC — The MAAC always goes back and forth between its top teams, Canisius (6-2, 1-0), Quinnipiac (5-3, 1-0), Niagara (5-4, 1-0), Siena (5-5, 1-0) and Fairfield (5-3). Each year sees tight games and limited margins of victory. Canisius has a big win over new ACC program Pittsburgh and a loss to Marquette, while Niagara has the opposite record. There is still much conference play to be had, with most teams only playing one other MAAC team to this point, but my gut tells me that Fairfield will come out on top. The Stags have a strong schedule, have played tight games against other top teams and have veterans with conference and national tournament experience.
MAC — Similarly to the MAAC, the Mid-Atlantic Conference sees its fair share of close battles within conference rivals. Throughout the years, Robert Morris (5-6, 5-0) has been a consistent top dog, but with two other programs boasting similar records, this year’s conference tournament could be a nail biter. Central Michigan (5-5, 3-1) has had another solid season and competed closely with in-state rival Michigan, while Youngstown State (5-6, 3-1) has had close matchups with Canisius and Niagara. The first meeting between Robert Morris and Central Michigan resulted in a one-goal win for the Colonials, but I’m going to bet on Central Michigan for the title later this spring.
Northeast — The NEC is home to some of Division I’s most underrated teams and coaching staffs and has some of my favorite teams to watch. Mount St. Mary’s (6-4, 0-1), Wagner (3-6, 1-0) and Bryant (4-2, 1-0) have become staples in NEC conference title games and NCAA matchups and are all having great seasons thus far. Having watched a few NEC teams compete, I think the strongest team so far has been the Mount. They are scrappy all over the field, have zero fear playing against storied programs and will be the most battle-tested come NEC tournament time.
Pac-12 — Things out west are heating up. USC (7-2, 4-1), Stanford (6-5, 4-1), Arizona State (4-5, 3-2) and Colorado (8-2, 3-2) have been throwing blows all spring, especially at one another. With Pac-12 play, every team plays the other teams twice, so these programs have become quite accustomed to one another. While Colorado has been a threat at times, I think the championship will come down to USC and Stanford with USC coming out on top. The Trojans are led by veteran Kelsey Huff and seem to be peaking at the right time. Their offense is in a groove, their defense is becoming more of a unit and things seem to be flowing in the right direction.
Patriot League — There’s a lot to be excited about this spring if you’re a loyal Patriot League fan! Under new leadership in coach Michelle Tumolo, Army West Point (8-2, 3-0) is currently on an eight-game winning streak, taking the Patriot League and the rest of Division I by storm. The Loyola Greyhounds (9-1, 2-0) are a national threat and Navy (8-2, 2-0) and American (7-3, 2-0) are starting to get into a groove. With such potent offenses and stout defenses, both Loyola and Army are top contenders for the Patriot League title. However, with so much star power and experience, I think the Greyhounds will secure their bid into the NCAA tournament.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... dway-point
Laxfan500

Re: Article on conference realignment

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:09 am The cost of conference realignment: Stony Brook, James Madison lacrosse left to fight for at-large bids to NCAA tournament
By Edward Lee . Baltimore Sun . Feb 18, 2022

Rayna Sabella might have had a few choice words after she and the rest of her Stony Brook women’s lacrosse teammates learned the America East would not permit them to participate in the conference tournament, which the Seawolves have captured eight years in a row.
But the graduate student midfielder and league’s returning Co-Defensive Player of the Year took a more diplomatic approach when asked about the ban making it more difficult for Stony Brook to qualify for the NCAA tournament.
“Ticks us off is the perfect phrase,” she said of the Seawolves, who have made eight straight NCAA postseason appearances. “It fuels our fire because now we’ve got to work even harder to get into the tournament. We have that in the backs of our minds every single day, and we need to use that as motivation.”
The 2022 season presents unique challenges to the Stony Brook men’s and women’s and James Madison women’s programs. Because of their universities’ decisions to leave the America East and the Colonial Athletic Association, respectively, beginning the 2022-23 academic year, those three teams are prohibited from competing for their league tournament championships — although they are still eligible for the regular-season titles.

That means the Seawolves and Dukes will not be able to win the tournament and claim the automatic qualifier to the NCAA postseason, forcing them to earn one of a small number of at-large berths to vie for the national championship.
Without the safety net of automatic qualifiers to the NCAA tournament, the No. 4 Stony Brook and No. 13 James Madison women’s teams face the very real prospect of being left out of the postseason despite their lofty rankings.

“I have no doubt that both of these teams could earn an at-large bid with their difficult schedules,” ESPN analyst and former Maryland defender Courtney Martinez Connor wrote via direct message. “But they have a tough road ahead.”
That path for the Dukes — who have won the past four CAA tournament crowns and five of the past six — has already hit a pair of speed bumps. A resume-building win against No. 2 North Carolina evaporated in a 15-8 setback last Saturday, and a 10-9 loss to Virginia Tech followed Wednesday.
Coach Shelley Klaes, who led James Madison to the program’s first national championship in 2018, acknowledged that the absence of league tournament play has created pressure. But she pointed out that with 15 more games on the schedule, the players and coaches can’t avoid the scrutiny.
“Our schedule is tough,” she said. “So we’re going to have to do this time and time again. So we can’t be afraid of a loss right now. There’s a lot of parity in this sport, there are ranked teams that already have losses, and we’ve got to make sure we use this to make ourselves better.”

Critics might argue that the programs should have braced for such a scenario when James Madison announced Nov. 6 that it was departing the CAA for the Sun Belt Conference — the lacrosse team will play in the American Athletic Conference, however — and Stony Brook announced Jan. 25 that it was leaving the America East for the CAA.
American, East Carolina and Richmond were not allowed to compete for championships after they announced their decisions to leave the CAA in 2001. The same thing happened to George Mason and Old Dominion in 2013 and the Penn State men’s lacrosse program in 2014. A similar fate fell on Boston University after it announced a plan to move from the America East to the Patriot League in 2012.
But in every instance, it was the student-athletes who bore the brunt of the consequences, taking part in seasons with no conference rewards at the end.
“I definitely think none of us like that rule,” Sabella said. “We think that’s something we as student-athletes are getting punished for. One, it wasn’t our decision, and two, it’s something that we work so hard for our whole lives, especially to compete collegiately, and then to get that taken away from us, that’s not fair.”
Seawolves men’s lacrosse coach Anthony Gilardi said the ban is especially deflating for players who overcame a canceled 2020 season exacerbated by the coronavirus pandemic and elected to delay pursuing academic or work plans for another chance to capture a conference title.
“We have some fifth-year seniors and a sixth-year senior who came back and some grad transfers,” said Gilardi, who was the offensive coordinator at Towson for eight years before getting hired in 2019. “So I think there was an initial disappointment and trying to figure out why a decision like that was in the rules and was upheld with all these kids have been through. So we’ve talked through that as a program understanding that in life, things are out of your control. You’ve got to control what you can control, and for us, it’s continuing to focus on being the best team we can be and enjoying every second together.”
The absence of league tournaments enhances the significance of the teams’ nonconference schedules. The Stony Brook men, who have not reached the NCAA tournament since 2012, will meet No. 6 Rutgers and No. 9 Syracuse.
The Stony Brook women will face No. 3 Syracuse, No. 5 Northwestern, No. 7 Florida and No. 16 Princeton, while James Madison will tangle with No. 8 Maryland, No. 10 Virginia, No. 17 Rutgers and No. 19 Drexel.
Martinez Connor said the women’s programs are more than capable of winning those high-profile games to burnish their at-large resumes.
“They just need to do the work on the field,” she said. “With other teams now winning the AE and CAA conferences since JMU and Stony Brook are out of the picture, it just means fewer at-large spots will be available.”
Some hope appeared to flicker Tuesday when the Horizon League reversed its decision to bar University of Illinois at Chicago from the conference tournament after that school announced Jan. 25 that it was moving to Missouri Valley Conference. But spokespeople for both the CAA and America East said Thursday that the leagues’ stances have not budged.
Players on all three teams are justifiably angered and frustrated. But Klaes said they have to redirect them into being more productive.
“It’s motivation and focus, but in the end, there’s nothing we can do about it,” she said. “So I think the emotion of anger and frustration, they don’t tend to serve athletes well. So how can we use that motivate us but channel that energy in the right direction so that we can still play free and play loose?”
Gilardi said he talked to Penn State coach Jeff Tambroni about his Nittany Lions being prohibited from competing for the 2014 CAA tournament championship.
“One of the things he told me was, you can’t let the hate and the frustration build up and fuel you because if you lose a close game or something happens, now you’ve kind of lost your team,” Gilardi said. “You’ve got to stay true to who you are, your core values, your culture and your mission as much as possible. So we’ve kind of used that advice, and that has helped us. We’re focused on us.”
The same goes for Sabella and her teammates on the Seawolves women’s team. Sabella said making a deep run in the NCAA tournament without the America East’s support would be a worthy response to the league’s decision.
“I would say that’s the very definition of going out with a bang,” she said with a laugh. “I definitely think we would let them know that despite their rule, we’re still going far, and we’re still thriving.”
https://www.insidelacrosse.com//article ... -way/59248
DMac

Post by DMac »

Think I'm right here in that DC wins are now credited to the person who gains control of the ball on the draw.
Mashewske flips it up, reaches up and grabs it and takes off. She's credited for the DC win.
Next one is directed toward Natalie Smith on the circle, the fleet footed one dashes to the
ball and picks it up off the field. She's credited for the DC win.
She credited for a GB too?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:07 pm Think I'm right here in that DC wins are now credited to the person who gains control of the ball on the draw.
Mashewske flips it up, reaches up and grabs it and takes off. She's credited for the DC win.
Next one is directed toward Natalie Smith on the circle, the fleet footed one dashes to the
ball and picks it up off the field. She's credited for the DC win.
She credited for a GB too?
Yes, but I believe that’s how they’ve always been credited. I don’t think Natalie Smith would get a GB too, just a DC.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Sure could be wrong but I thought I heard that was new this year. Thought the DC girl was given credit for the win regardless of who came up with the ball. I see no stat like this in mlax, you'll only see what the FOGO did. He could show 12 for 15 and theoretically didn't gain possession of the ball himself on any one of those. Looking at the individual stats of the Pitt-Cuse game I saw that Natalie had been credited with one DC win and you know she didn't take the draw (although she did take draws in HS), that's what got me to wondering about this....she had a couple of GBs too.
Maybe KT should send #15 out to take a couple of draws, looks like she knows what she's doing, can see it in the video.
Shoulda sent her out v Jenner a couple of times... now that would be a sight.
https://www.connectlax.com/profile/NatalieS01
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

DMac wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:26 am Sure could be wrong but I thought I heard that was new this year. Thought the DC girl was given credit for the win regardless of who came up with the ball. I see no stat like this in mlax, you'll only see what the FOGO did. He could show 12 for 15 and theoretically didn't gain possession of the ball himself on any one of those. Looking at the individual stats of the Pitt-Cuse game I saw that Natalie had been credited with one DC win and you know she didn't take the draw (although she did take draws in HS), that's what got me to wondering about this....she had a couple of GBs too.
Maybe KT should send #15 out to take a couple of draws, looks like she knows what she's doing, can see it in the video.

I haven’t heard of any changes to the way DC stats are recorded, but if I’m wrong anyone feel free to correct me.

To me it doesn’t make much sense though…kind of like rewarding a goal to both the goal scorer and assister, you know?
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:09 pm
DMac wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:26 am Sure could be wrong but I thought I heard that was new this year. Thought the DC girl was given credit for the win regardless of who came up with the ball. I see no stat like this in mlax, you'll only see what the FOGO did. He could show 12 for 15 and theoretically didn't gain possession of the ball himself on any one of those. Looking at the individual stats of the Pitt-Cuse game I saw that Natalie had been credited with one DC win and you know she didn't take the draw (although she did take draws in HS), that's what got me to wondering about this....she had a couple of GBs too.

I haven’t heard of any changes to the way DC stats are recorded, but if I’m wrong anyone feel free to correct me.

To me it doesn’t make much sense though…kind of like rewarding a goal to both the goal scorer and assister, you know?
DC goes to the player the possesses the ball off the draw. They do not also get credit for a GB. If there is a violation on the draw, or if there is a loose ball foul, the DC is awarded to the person that the referee awards the ball to to start play. There is never a GB given on a draw only a DC.

In men's lacrosse there are faceoff stats kept for the FOGO. They get credit whether they get the ball or one of their wing players do. Who ever picks up the ball gets credit for a GB. There is no DC stat in men's lacrosse. There is no stat in women's lacrosse for draws "won" for the ladies on the X as there in for face-offs "won" in men's. Completely different way of keeping stats on face-offs and draws between men's and women's lacrosse. Easiest way to think of it is that a DC is basically just a GB it just happened to happen off a draw.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

hmmm wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:25 am

DC goes to the player the possesses the ball off the draw. They do not also get credit for a GB. If there is a violation on the draw, or if there is a loose ball foul, the DC is awarded to the person that the referee awards the ball to to start play. There is never a GB given on a draw only a DC.

In men's lacrosse there are faceoff stats kept for the FOGO. They get credit whether they get the ball or one of their wing players do. Who ever picks up the ball gets credit for a GB. There is no DC stat in men's lacrosse. There is no stat in women's lacrosse for draws "won" for the ladies on the X as there in for face-offs "won" in men's. Completely different way of keeping stats on face-offs and draws between men's and women's lacrosse. Easiest way to think of it is that a DC is basically just a GB it just happened to happen off a draw.
Yes, I was under that same impression as well.
njbill

Post by njbill »

hmmm wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:25 am DC goes to the player the possesses the ball off the draw. They do not also get credit for a GB. If there is a violation on the draw, or if there is a loose ball foul, the DC is awarded to the person that the referee awards the ball to to start play. There is never a GB given on a draw only a DC.
Exactly right. I think that back some years ago, a GB was also awarded, but no longer.

What I don't know is how DCs are awarded under the new alternate possession rule for draws that don't go over the players' heads without fault or that go directly OOB. I've seen "team draws" in some stats, but I don't think that is universal. My view is that a "team draw" should be awarded in such a situation since a player didn't do anything to "earn" a DC.

I have never liked the rule requiring redraws if the ball doesn't go over the heads. If the ball squirts out to the side (hereinafter "side squirts") and no one has committed a violation (moved early, failed to draw up and away), then go get the ball. Play on. No foul, no harm. If the side squirt was caused by a violation, then call a foul. My approach would incrementally speed up the game plus it would add a dollop of competition.

If you want to award "team draws" for balls that go directly OOB (which infrequently happens), I think that is fine, though I would prefer a redraw (more competition, less rule).
DMac

Post by DMac »

hmmm wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:25 am

Yup, knew all about how the mlax stats have gone and still do. Somehow I thought I had heard that this is the first year a DC win is given to the player who comes up with the ball, prior to that the DC stat was kept just like in mlax. Obviously I didn't hear that (although maybe I did and the person didn't know what they were talking...not unusual in wlax).
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

If the 2020 season was cancelled, then we have a problem. What do I mean? Should any type of records (from THAT season) be considered part of a players Resume when it comes to records and such? School scoring and defensive records that were set, National scoring and defensive records that were set...should the numbers from 2020 be part of these records today? Should individuals be able to benefit from this?
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Personally I think not. The grant of an additional year should supersede what they accomplished in 6 or seven games.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:19 pm If the 2020 season was cancelled, then we have a problem. What do I mean? Should any type of records (from THAT season) be considered part of a players Resume when it comes to records and such? School scoring and defensive records that were set, National scoring and defensive records that were set...should the numbers from 2020 be part of these records today? Should individuals be able to benefit from this?
I say yes, but with a Ford Frick awareness when it comes to records.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:19 pm If the 2020 season was cancelled, then we have a problem. What do I mean? Should any type of records (from THAT season) be considered part of a players Resume when it comes to records and such? School scoring and defensive records that were set, National scoring and defensive records that were set...should the numbers from 2020 be part of these records today? Should individuals be able to benefit from this?
I think so. Players who play the first 5-6 games, get injured, and receive a medical red shirt still get those statistics counted. Even in a normal season there are some teams who will play 5-6 more games than others because they advance in their conference tournaments, make NCAA's, and advance in the NCAA tournament.

There are other situations, like rule changes, that benefit future players and allow them a better chance at breaking records. Take the rule change about draw controls - now you have just 6 players competing for the draw (unless, obviously, the ball goes past a restraining line) when before you had 10 (!) on/in the circle alone & 6 crashing in from each side of the restraining line.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I say definitely not. The NCAA basically replaced the Focus year are gave everyone a do-over. That being the case why should it count? Absent a redshirt, you get 4 years to compete, not 4.4 years.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

... the Covid year and

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”