All things CoronaVirus

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.

How many of your friends and family members have died of the Chinese Corona Virus?

0 people
64%
1 person.
14%
2 people.
4%
3 people.
7%
More.
10%

Total votes: 69

DocBarrister

Re: All things CoronaVirus

Post by DocBarrister »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:34 pm United States has at least 2,796 confirmed coronavirus cases now.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Will cross 3,000 by tomorrow. Have we even begun testing in earnest yet? No, we haven’t.

In truth, the “real” count may be ten or a hundred times as high or more.

The magnitude and horror of Trump’s failure has only begun to be revealed.

DocBarrister :(
The count rose to 2,951 in the hour or so since I posted this. Imagine how high the count would be if the U.S. had the same testing capacity as South Korea.

We are the next Italy.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:05 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:34 pm United States has at least 2,796 confirmed coronavirus cases now.

Will cross 3,000 by tomorrow. Have we even begun testing in earnest yet? No, we haven’t.

The count rose to 2,951 in the hour or so since I posted this. Imagine how high the count would be if the U.S. had the same testing capacity as South Korea.

We are the next Italy.

DocBarrister :?
Thanks Don for making us Third World.
Last edited by ardilla secreta on Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: All things Chinese CoronaVirus

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Firing the professionals, not have a response plan and then turning down the WHO test kits isn't going to look too good.....

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... irus-tests

Shortly after New Year’s, Olfert Landt started seeing news reports of a strange disease spreading in China. The German scientist, who’s developed tests for ailments ranging from swine flu to SARS, sensed an opportunity—and a new mission. He spent the next few days quizzing virologists at Berlin’s Charité hospital and scouring the internet for more information on what soon became known as the novel coronavirus, and by Jan. 10 he’d introduced a viable test kit. His phone hasn’t stopped ringing since. “Everyone here is putting in 12- to 14-hour shifts,” the ponytailed Landt says as he rushes through the corridors of TIB Molbiol Syntheselabor GmbH, the Berlin biotech company he started three decades ago. “We’re nearing our limit.”

In the past two months, Landt and his staff at the company’s production facility—a former industrial building just south of the disused Tempelhof airport—have produced 40,000 coronavirus diagnostic kits, enough for about 4 million individual tests. TIB has reoriented its business toward coronavirus, running its machines through the night and on weekends to make the kits, which sell for about €160 ($180) apiece. As orders have poured in from the World Health Organization, national health authorities, and laboratories in some 60 countries, TIB’s revenue in February tripled from the same month in 2019.

TIB, which last year generated €18 million in sales, is one of about a score of test-kit producers worldwide. Companies such as LGC Biosearch Technologies in Britain, Spain’s CerTest Biotec, and Seoul-based Seegene Inc. are seeing an explosion in demand as authorities seek to slow the virus’s spread. South Korea has tested more than 210,000 people and Italy more than 60,000. Efforts in the U.S. got off to a rocky start when a diagnostic tool from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention proved to be flawed. The U.S. has since changed the test and taken steps to expand availability, but the CDC has warned kits won’t be ready in the numbers promised by the Trump administration.

Over the years, TIB has made tests aimed at diagnosing more than 100 ailments. For the coronavirus, Landt teamed up with Roche Holding AG to distribute the kit, which works with the Swiss drugmaker’s diagnostic machines. The tests use what’s called the polymerase chain reaction, a diagnostic method recommended by the WHO that amplifies the virus’s genetic code so it can be detected before the onset of symptoms. The kit comes with two vials: a primer to help detect an infection, and a synthetically engineered piece of the virus, which labs use to produce a surefire positive match to ensure their machines are working correctly. A lab technician combines these ingredients with a patient’s mucus sample—usually from a throat or nasal swab—and results are usually available in a few hours.

We farted around waiting to see if any F.O.T could make any money developing kits.......these probably worked better than those from the orientals that Old Sycophant is fixated on.... and the Germans don't eat bat soup....Didn't the White House announce some news on Roche recently....clowns. 3-4 weeks behind the 8 ball and making it seem like they have come up with something new.....don't eat the cheese.
“I wish you would!”
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Unfortunately, the recession that we have already entered won’t be a gentle one.

The United States is suffering the most abrupt and widespread cessation of economic activity in its history, hurtling toward a recession that could mean lost jobs, income and wealth for millions of Americans.

Across the country, consumer spending — which supports 70 percent of the economy — is grinding to a halt as fears of the escalating coronavirus pandemic keep people from stores, restaurants, movie theaters and workplaces.

The rapid national shutdown already has caused layoffs and reverberated on Wall Street, driving stocks into their first bear market in 11 years. Amid panic selling, unusual strains have appeared in less visible market niches that are critical to the ability of businesses to operate normally.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... irus-jobs/

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:09 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:53 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:41 pm
CU77 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:36 pm
Yesterday, the Jack Ma Foundation, a charitable organization established by the founder of the Chinese retail company Alibaba, announced a donation of 500,000 testing kits to the United States.

Acute state failure has reduced the richest nation in world history to a charitable cause.
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archi ... is/608026/
The sycophants will come to the administrations defense.
Are they WHO approved test kits ? (failure rate ?)
Serious question/request: could you provide a link that compares the failure rate of the WHO kits versus either those the CDC eventually produced or the ones currently being constructed here in the US.

I can't find so far with google anything that suggests a high failure rate of WHO kits.
I didn't say WHO kits had a high failure rate. I linked a report that early Chinese test kits had a 30-50 % failure rate.
Bits & pieces I've found (Bloomberg & abc) -- different reports describing the unreliability of initial Chinese & Japanese test kits, in addition to the thoroughly reported CDC "techinica glitch " & FDA bureaucratic wrangling which delayed US testing startup.

Ask TLD about the WHO kits. He keeps karping about Trump turning down test kits offered by WHO. with no specifics to back up the accusation.
Gee, it's widely reported that we turned down The Who kits not just at first but also after we realized that the ones we got out the door initially were badly flawed.

Please provide some basis that this is not the case.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:28 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:06 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:02 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:41 pm
Yesterday, the Jack Ma Foundation, a charitable organization established by the founder of the Chinese retail company Alibaba, announced a donation of 500,000 testing kits to the United States.

Acute state failure has reduced the richest nation in world history to a charitable cause.
Serious question/request: could you provide a link that compares the failure rate of the WHO kits versus either those the CDC eventually produced or the ones currently being constructed here in the US.

I can't find so far with google anything that suggests a high failure rate of WHO kits.
I didn't say WHO kits had a high failure rate. I linked a report that early Chinese test kits had a 30-50 % failure rate.
Bits & pieces I've found (Bloomberg & abc) -- different reports describing the unreliability of initial Chinese & Japanese test kits, in addition to the thoroughly reported CDC "techinica glitch " & FDA bureaucratic wrangling which delayed US testing startup.

Ask TLD about the WHO kits. He keeps karping about Trump turning down test kits offered by WHO. with no specifics to back up the accusation.
I don't know the failure rate of the WHO units. Nobody seemed to complain about them and it wasn't covered anywhere....you know who had a bad failure rate? The USA....so going a few weeks with 0 kits and 0 failures is better than testing 200,000 with maybe a 50% failure rate. That's logic for the best and the brightest? Read the articles. Those orientals did a bang up job.
By locking down Wuhan province the way we are now locking down the USA, & more EU nations are following suit.

A 50% failure rate of 200,000 tests allows 100,000 potential carriers to share bat soup & cigarettes with granny & grandpa.
a stop gap while we developed our own.... don't let perfect be the enemy of good :lol: :lol: so it's better to let 200,000 carriers have soup while waiting for a test to be developed, which then had a worse failure rate.......

MAGA
🤡

Stop misleading people, you don’t know the failure rate of the WHO units.
You're doing the misleading. I never cited or implied a failure rate for the WHO units.
The failure rates were in the knockoffs which China, Japan & the US produced & rushed into service.
Apparently S Korea got it right.
Nah, you didn't imply nuthin about nuthin.
calourie

Post by calourie »

How many times does Trump have to tell you that this is not his failure for you to realize that this is not his failure. Boy are you dense you liberal fool snowflake.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Headlines from the Los Angeles Times.

“Even small neighborhood stores are getting raided by coronavirus hoarders”

“We’ve never sold out of pork butt before: Inside 22 LA grocery stores.”

“Unprecedented restrictions leave Silicon Valley with empty shelves, quiet streets.”
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:41 pm

Gee, it's widely reported that we turned down The Who kits not just at first but also after we realized that the ones we got out the door initially were badly flawed.

Gee. You're asking me to prove a negative. Something I did not say.
You provide us a link to one of your widely reported reports.
One that reports that Trump had something to do with it.

I didn't say we did or did not turn them down.
I did not even bring WHO kits into the discussion.
TLD did, earlier in the discussion, as a red herring distraction & you went for it.
I pointed out the problems in the initial attempts at testing by China, Japan & the US.
Here's where TLD inserted the WHO into the discussion (for some unknown reason) :
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:45 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:42 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:26 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:23 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:07 pm
youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:55 pm
jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:32 pm The thing with his presser dog and pony show is, HE COULD HAVE TAKEN ALL OF THESE ACTIONS TWO MONTHS AGO. I don't think the national emergency declaration had to be done then, but it could have been. I am glad he now seems to be moving in the right direction, but it does not make up for ignoring the experts for months, bungling the test kit issue, and the total lack of transparency up until recently and still no where near the needed transparency.
I'd really have to have a timeline, with certainty of facts, to truly buy into your argument. In the grand scheme of things, the US is is in a great spot, and frankly, much of the US virus infiltration came from travelers. All these actions taken today, could not have taken place, because as yo noted earlier, testing required blood and (possible stool) samples, whereas now it is a drive-thru swab. You have to respect the fact that we did not get out over our skis and make matters worse with testing that could have been providing inaccurate results.
So not having kits was a good thing?
Yes, If they were only 50% accurate, like many of China's.
IF
🤡
For clowntroll's reading pleasure :
https://www.scmp.com/tech/science-resea ... d-shortage

Race to diagnose coronavirus patients constrained by shortage of reliable detection kits

Chinese authorities issued approvals within two weeks for seven kits that employ the nucleic acid method to test for the presence of the virus

...since the test involves several steps, a mistake at any one stage could affect the outcome, Li Yan, head of the diagnostic centre at the People’s Hospital of Wuhan University, said in an interview with state broadcaster CCTV on Sunday.
The accuracy rate of the test is only 30 to 50 per cent, said Wang Chen, president of the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, during a CCTV interview on Wednesday.
China supplied the WHO?
🤡

https://www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-51836898

These orientals can get back to eating penis.
This is like playing who's on first with Abott & Costello.
old salt

Post by old salt »

For Abbott & Costello, re WHO kits :
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... c-response

...testing. But as report after report has confirmed, the US is doing a bad job in this area — falling behind its developed peers in Europe and Asia.

Not all of this is necessarily the Trump administration’s fault. When the CDC rolled out its tests, a component in them turned out to be faulty. That was unfortunate, but it put a big spotlight on the CDC’s decision to use its own test kit instead of test kits other countries have used, reportedly in an effort to create a more accurate test.

https://www.propublica.org/article/cdc- ... id-19-test

...the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lost valuable weeks that could have been used to track its possible spread in the United States because it insisted upon devising its own test.

The federal agency shunned the World Health Organization test guidelines used by other countries and set out to create a more complicated test of its own that could identify a range of similar viruses. But when it was sent to labs across the country in the first week of February, it didn’t work as expected.

It’s unclear who in the government originally made the decision to design a more complicated test, or to depart from the WHO guidance.
Did Trump, Pence or someone on the Task Force or WH staff, direct the CDC to develop their own test kit rather than replicate the WHO kit ?
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

The government left international airports unprepared last night for the flood of Americans racing to return from infected Europe. Chaos naturally ensued. Passengers were packed together like cattle for hours before dispersion into the country.

An interesting point by @AshleyRParker and co: Jared Kushner has no experience running disease response and he has “zero expertise in infectious diseases and little experience marshaling the full bureaucracy behind a cause.”
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:00 am For Abbott & Costello, re WHO kits :

...testing. But as report after report has confirmed, the US is doing a bad job in this area — falling behind its developed peers in Europe and Asia.

Not all of this is necessarily the Trump administration’s fault. When the CDC rolled out its tests, a component in them turned out to be faulty. That was unfortunate, but it put a big spotlight on the CDC’s decision to use its own test kit instead of test kits other countries have used, reportedly in an effort to create a more accurate test.

...the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lost valuable weeks that could have been used to track its possible spread in the United States because it insisted upon devising its own test.

The federal agency shunned the World Health Organization test guidelines used by other countries and set out to create a more complicated test of its own that could identify a range of similar viruses. But when it was sent to labs across the country in the first week of February, it didn’t work as expected.

It’s unclear who in the government originally made the decision to design a more complicated test, or to depart from the WHO guidance.
Did Trump, Pence or someone on the Task Force or WH staff, direct the CDC to develop their own test kit rather than replicate the WHO kit ?
Doubtful as there was no TF at the time of that decision.
Nevertheless, the buck still stops with them regardless if they agree with that.
At this point, it doesn't help much to relive past errors/deficiencies and I would hope that they will focus directly on the immediate future empowering the experts from various fields to do what is necessary to limit the spread.

I think we are going to be looking at a domestic travel ban shortly. Already word that Washington is contemplating closing state borders. Other states may follow soon.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:12 am

TLD did, earlier in the discussion, as a red herring distraction & you went for it.
I pointed out the problems in the initial attempts at testing by China, Japan & the US.
Here's where TLD inserted the WHO into the discussion (for some unknown reason) :
jhu72 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:32 pm The thing with his presser dog and pony show is, HE COULD HAVE TAKEN ALL OF THESE ACTIONS TWO MONTHS AGO. I don't think the national emergency declaration had to be done then, but it could have been. I am glad he now seems to be moving in the right direction, but it does not make up for ignoring the experts for months, bungling the test kit issue, and the total lack of transparency up until recently and still no where near the needed transparency.
I'd really have to have a timeline, with certainty of facts, to truly buy into your argument. In the grand scheme of things, the US is is in a great spot, and frankly, much of the US virus infiltration came from travelers. All these actions taken today, could not have taken place, because as yo noted earlier, testing required blood and (possible stool) samples, whereas now it is a drive-thru swab. You have to respect the fact that we did not get out over our skis and make matters worse with testing that could have been providing inaccurate results.
IF
🤡

Race to diagnose coronavirus patients constrained by shortage of reliable detection kits

Chinese authorities issued approvals within two weeks for seven kits that employ the nucleic acid method to test for the presence of the virus

...since the test involves several steps, a mistake at any one stage could affect the outcome, Li Yan, head of the diagnostic centre at the People’s Hospital of Wuhan University, said in an interview with state broadcaster CCTV on Sunday.
The accuracy rate of the test is only 30 to 50 per cent, said Wang Chen, president of the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences, during a CCTV interview on Wednesday.
China supplied the WHO?
🤡

You threw shade on Jack Ma's offer of donation of 500,000 kits to the US, far more than we have today or will have even weeks from now.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Kismet wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:38 am

Nevertheless, the buck still stops with them regardless if they agree with that.
At this point, it doesn't help much to relive past errors/deficiencies and I would hope that they will focus directly on the immediate future empowering the experts from various fields to do what is necessary to limit the spread.

I think we are going to be looking at a domestic travel ban shortly. Already word that Washington is contemplating closing state borders. Other states may follow soon.
Yesterday the Pentagon did just that for our armed forces. Immediate travel ban. No business travel between posts. Personal travel restricted to local travel. All station changes/post changes/family moves on hold. No new deployments or deployment returns.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:58 am
Kismet wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:38 am

Yesterday the Pentagon did just that for our armed forces. Immediate travel ban. No business travel between posts. Personal travel restricted to local travel. All station changes/post changes/family moves on hold. No new deployments or deployment returns.
I heard about that message from the DoD..will be interesting to see how the Service Academies are directed to handle that.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:47 am
old salt wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:12 am

IF
🤡

China supplied the WHO?
🤡

You threw shade on Jack Ma's offer of donation of 500,000 kits to the US, far more than we have today or will have even weeks from now.
I was talking about the WHO test kits and Old Sycophant brought in Ma and failures as if the two were related. It’s a device he often uses.
“I wish you would!”
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MD schools to re-evaluate sports/lax in early April.
April 6 for public, April 10 for MIAA schools:

https://miaasports.net/iaam-takes-a-sim ... pril-10th/
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
Bart

Post by Bart »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:38 am MD schools to re-evaluate sports/lax in early April.
April 6 for public, April 10 for MIAA schools:

https://miaasports.net/iaam-takes-a-sim ... pril-10th/
In NYS: All Monroe County Schools closed indefinitely and Ontario County Schools closed until after spring break, at the earliest. All associated extracurricular activity canceled during that time.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I think the April re-evaluation date is wishful thinking. This thing hasn’t even started to crest yet. These school systems just didn’t want to cancel them outright yet.

Out of state travel was cancelled for DoD employees. 2 weeks of work from home mandated by a few DoD orgs. Expect many to follow suit, when possible.

Return to “POLITICS”