All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:19 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:44 pm
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 11:31 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2024 10:57 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:04 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:57 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:34 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:55 am
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:16 am
What are you implying?
Really?
Yes, that is why I asked?
So I'm guessing the UN and their powder blue helmet peace keepers would put the fear of the Almighty into Putin? Anybody ask the UN how we should handle the war in Ukraine? Maybe the Norks can offer up a truly neutral force of peace keepers? I don't know if the cute powder blue helmets will get Lil Kims approval. How much longer until this war expands to new players? An infusion of fresh blood to be spilled will help to share the burden with the Ukrainian people. Americas anchorman would love to report the story to the people.
Sorry, not sure I follow. Why are you talking about UN peacekeepers here?
Because the UN peace keepers are the go to force when you absolutely, positively must have ineffective peace keepers. You know of any nation that respects the UN on any peace keeping mission?.

There are some folks who look at those very popular pretty powder blue helmets as great targets for snipers. If you were trained as a sniper you would understand.
He posted articles about NATO, not the UN. But feel free to keep buttting in with stuff that isn't related :lol:

NATO the UN they both allegedly are suppose to keep the peace. The one thing they both have in common is they suck when it comes to playing the role of peacekeeper. In the case of the UN they do have those really pretty powder blue helmets. Those UN peace keepers simply look so adorable 🥰 Makes you want to eat em right up.
They were discussing NATO and why NATO matters so much...you dismissively inserted the UN.
It's called a tangent. FTR I'm not in the mood today for an MD lax fan lecture. Why don't you go for a bike ride and ice cream cone.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:26 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:24 am Time to water the garden
Whatcha growin?

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:24 am and take Roxy for her adventure walk.
I'm intrigued--why do you call it an adventure walk?
Because we take our walk at a beautiful place called Durand Beach. It is a hiking path that follows Lake Ontario. Every walk we take is an adventure for Roxy.
My garden consists of Roma tomatoes, Beefsteak tomatoes, grape tomatoes, acorn squash, lettuce, yellow beans, peppers hot and mild and my wife's herbs with plenty of basil and parsley.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:05 am
Whatcha growin?

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:24 am and take Roxy for her adventure walk.
Because we take our walk at a beautiful place called Durand Beach. It is a hiking path that follows Lake Ontario. Every walk we take is an adventure for Roxy.
My garden consists of Roma tomatoes, Beefsteak tomatoes, grape tomatoes, acorn squash, lettuce, yellow beans, peppers hot and mild and my wife's herbs with plenty of basil and parsley.
Very cool. Sounds like fun. Sounds like a great garden, too. Ain't nothin quite so tasty as veggies picked ripe and right from ones garden. Whole different taste from store bought--even organic store bought.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:48 am
What are you implying?
Really?
So I'm guessing the UN and their powder blue helmet peace keepers would put the fear of the Almighty into Putin? Anybody ask the UN how we should handle the war in Ukraine? Maybe the Norks can offer up a truly neutral force of peace keepers? I don't know if the cute powder blue helmets will get Lil Kims approval. How much longer until this war expands to new players? An infusion of fresh blood to be spilled will help to share the burden with the Ukrainian people. Americas anchorman would love to report the story to the people.
Because the UN peace keepers are the go to force when you absolutely, positively must have ineffective peace keepers. You know of any nation that respects the UN on any peace keeping mission?.

There are some folks who look at those very popular pretty powder blue helmets as great targets for snipers. If you were trained as a sniper you would understand.
He posted articles about NATO, not the UN. But feel free to keep buttting in with stuff that isn't related :lol:

NATO the UN they both allegedly are suppose to keep the peace. The one thing they both have in common is they suck when it comes to playing the role of peacekeeper. In the case of the UN they do have those really pretty powder blue helmets. Those UN peace keepers simply look so adorable 🥰 Makes you want to eat em right up.
They were discussing NATO and why NATO matters so much...you dismissively inserted the UN.
It's called a tangent. FTR I'm not in the mood today for an MD lax fan lecture. Why don't you go for a bike ride and ice cream cone.
You wondered why I addressed your "tangent". You asked.

It's because you aggressively and dismissively inserted said "tangent" into an otherwise on point conversation about NATO, not the UN and its role, as if the UN peacekeepers reflects on NATO and its very different role. They don't.

You also seem dismissive of the now obvious need for NATO, given the aggressive return of an authoritarian expansionist Russia. That possibility indeed was in question after the fall of the Soviets, so in the '90's and first half of the 2000's, but it's been pretty darn obvious, at least to those not in denial, that NATO remains highly relevant. And yes, I agree, the US remains the essential component of NATO effectiveness relative to Russia or any other major power threat. It has been that essential component since the formation of NATO and remains so to this day.

IMO, we have benefited hugely from this leadership position.

That's not a "lecture", that's my viewpoint in an otherwise pretty civil discussion.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:22 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:05 am
Whatcha growin?

Very cool. Sounds like fun. Sounds like a great garden, too. Ain't nothin quite so tasty as veggies picked ripe and right from ones garden. Whole different taste from store bought--even organic store bought.
The Roma tomatoes are for my wife's sauce. The grapes are the best addition in the world to a salad that includes lettuce from our garden. The beefsteak tomatoes are all about BLTs which I would eat every night if my wife would allow. A quick suggestion, though I am breaking the rules and going off topic. A great summer dish is a BLT salad. A good portion of your favorite lettuce, nice chunks of beef steak tomatoes, a healthy amount of crispy bacon salt and pepper and some cut up pieces of sourdough toast. Just before serving blend in just enough Hellman's mayo to lightly coat everything. Don't blend in the mayo until ready to serve.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:10 am
What are you implying?
Really?

It's because you aggressively and dismissively inserted said "tangent" into an otherwise on point conversation about NATO, not the UN and its role, as if the UN peacekeepers reflects on NATO and its very different role. They don't.

You also seem dismissive of the now obvious need for NATO, given the aggressive return of an authoritarian expansionist Russia. That possibility indeed was in question after the fall of the Soviets, so in the '90's and first half of the 2000's, but it's been pretty darn obvious, at least to those not in denial, that NATO remains highly relevant. And yes, I agree, the US remains the essential component of NATO effectiveness relative to Russia or any other major power threat. It has been that essential component since the formation of NATO and remains so to this day.

That's not a "lecture", that's my viewpoint in an otherwise pretty civil discussion.
I understand your point and I apologize profusely. I'm a huge fan of NATO and its stated mission. The flip side of the coin is the UN is a flat out out joke when their mission is to act as peace keepers. Sorry for the confusion. FTR since it's technically a NATO mission how come Germany doesn't have an armored brigade in Poland at the tip of the spear? Old Salt has pointed out this obligation the US has taken on numerous times. NATO would gain a little bit of respectability if they didn't always rely on the US military to do all of the heavy lifting. :roll:
OuttaNowhereWregget

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:19 pm The Roma tomatoes are for my wife's sauce. The grapes are the best addition in the world to a salad that includes lettuce from our garden. The beefsteak tomatoes are all about BLTs which I would eat every night if my wife would allow. A quick suggestion, though I am breaking the rules and going off topic. A great summer dish is a BLT salad. A good portion of your favorite lettuce, nice chunks of beef steak tomatoes, a healthy amount of crispy bacon salt and pepper and some cut up pieces of sourdough toast. Just before serving blend in just enough Hellman's mayo to lightly coat everything. Don't blend in the mayo until ready to serve.
You got my mouth watering over here. Sounds delicious. Now when you say your wife's sauce--are you referring to spaghetti sauce, with the spices and the garlic and the meatballs and sausage? That kind of sauce?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:32 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:19 pm The Roma tomatoes are for my wife's sauce. The grapes are the best addition in the world to a salad that includes lettuce from our garden. The beefsteak tomatoes are all about BLTs which I would eat every night if my wife would allow. A quick suggestion, though I am breaking the rules and going off topic. A great summer dish is a BLT salad. A good portion of your favorite lettuce, nice chunks of beef steak tomatoes, a healthy amount of crispy bacon salt and pepper and some cut up pieces of sourdough toast. Just before serving blend in just enough Hellman's mayo to lightly coat everything. Don't blend in the mayo until ready to serve.
You got my mouth watering over here. Sounds delicious. Now when you say your wife's sauce--are you referring to spaghetti sauce, with the spices and the garlic and the meatballs and sausage? That kind of sauce?
Yep, and no Italian woman makes sauce without pork hocks. BTW the fresh basil for the sauce comes from her herb garden. Shredded by hand and never diced with a knife. Genuino pecorino freshly grated on top of course. My wife learned from her mom who learned from her mom.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 2:28 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:10 am
What are you implying?
Really?

I understand your point and I apologize profusely. I'm a huge fan of NATO and its stated mission. The flip side of the coin is the UN is a flat out out joke when their mission is to act as peace keepers. Sorry for the confusion. FTR since it's technically a NATO mission how come Germany doesn't have an armored brigade in Poland at the tip of the spear? Old Salt has pointed out this obligation the US has taken on numerous times. NATO would gain a little bit of respectability if they didn't always rely on the US military to do all of the heavy lifting. :roll:
No worries.

I don't know the details of which countries have and which haven't had an armored brigade in Poland. I'm certainly not surprised by our taking a leadership role. NATO has been from its inception US dominated. Frankly, we (US) wanted it that way and we've benefited in all sorts of ways by this position. We dwarf in economic size any of the other NATO nations and we choose to spend hugely more on national defense so that we cn exert power throughout the world. None of the other nations are economic or military superpowers, and that's actually how we like it.

That said, it's obvious to the Europeans that they need to step up their role and capacities in the face of a now very hostile and aggressive Russia. For a long time they were somewhat seduced by the notion that Russia would modernize its society, becoming more deeply aligned with Russia rather than hostile to it. Whether that was a reasonable hope or not, or a sound strategy to encourage such modernization so as to improve peace opportunities as well as economic, Putin's stranglehold on information in Russia and his decision making makes the threat impossible to ignore.

And we will benefit from this step up by Europe as long as we maintain the leadership position...and from a posture of alliance not petulance.
OuttaNowhereWregget

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:59 pm
Yep, and no Italian woman makes sauce without pork hocks. BTW the fresh basil for the sauce comes from her herb garden. Shredded by hand and never diced with a knife. Genuino pecorino freshly grated on top of course. My wife learned from her mom who learned from her mom.
So cool. My mother and her two sisters learned to make their sauce from their mother who came here from Sicily when she was just a girl. They all made it basically the same, but each made it their own with a special twist. All delicious. For instance, my Aunt Rose made her meatballs the size of baseballs. Huge. But they were delicious so I never complained. (Though I did laugh the first time I saw the size of them.)
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:32 pm
So cool. My mother and her two sisters learned to make their sauce from their mother who came here from Sicily when she was just a girl. They all made it basically the same, but each made it their own with a special twist. All delicious. For instance, my Aunt Rose made her meatballs the size of baseballs. Huge. But they were delicious so I never complained. (Though I did laugh the first time I saw the size of them.)
My wife is very picky about her meatballs. They have to be ground beef, veal and pork. Then she seasons them and bakes them in the oven. Hers are golf ball size.
OuttaNowhereWregget

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:43 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:32 pm
My wife is very picky about her meatballs. They have to be ground beef, veal and pork. Then she seasons them and bakes them in the oven. Hers are golf ball size.
This was the recipe my cousin made. He was the son of my Aunt Rose, she of the baseball sized meatballs. He took the best of the three sisters sauce and made his own addition (the vino) making it his own. This is the recipe I make when I am so inspired to make it. (Lotta work)
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:28 pm
Deacon022 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:19 pm And if you are referring to the thing you put on Pasta, it’s gravy not sauce.
Depends. My mother (full-blooded Italian) and two aunts on my mothers side always called it sauce. Spaghetti sauce to be exact. I know it's always referred to as gravy back in The Boot.

Ah, the wonderful memories of when my mother would make a huge pot of sauce which we would enjoy with different pastas (Ziti, Rigatoni [my favorite], Linguine, Vermicelli, Rotini, etc.) for days and days. Delicious!

The recipe...

Ingredients:

1/2 cup olive oil (pure)
3 or 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped or garlic pressed
12 Sausages (6 hot, 6 sweet)
4 large cans whole tomatoes
3 small cans tomato paste
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1 tbs Italian seasoning
1 tbs Oregano
1 tbs Parsley
1 tbs Honey
3 Bay leaves
One thick slice of onion, cubed
Mushrooms
1 cup red cooking wine
1 cup water

*1-1/2 lbs ground beef and pork (1/2 and 1/2)
*2 Eggs
*1 ladle of sauce
*1/3 cup grated cheese
*1 tsp. minced garlic
*1 tsp. minced onion
*1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs

SAUCE:

Pour oil into pan with sausages and garlic and simmer until sausages are slightly browned. In a large mixing bowl, combine and mix tomatoes and paste by hand and pour into pan. Bring to a low boil, stirring frequently. Sprinkle oregano, parsley, crushed red pepper and Italian seasoning over sauce and add the honey and bay leaves. Add onions and mushrooms. Pour wine and water into sauce.

MEATBALLS:

Mix all meatball ingredients* thoroughly and place into sauce, stirring carefully.

Simmer for at least 6 hours.

Return to “POLITICS”