Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxpere

Re: Navy 2020 - First season of Coach Amplo era begins

Post by laxpere »

HealthyDebate wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:34 pm
laxpere wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:33 pm On the eve of the first regular season game of the Coach Amplo (and Coaches Ross/Orsen) era, I am wondering who else would enjoy hearing from some of the sages from 2019.
I am thinking that SonnySide, HealthyDebate and Tecumseh, along with some others, have been quietly taking it all in, but are geared up and ready for the season to start. What are y'all thinking about the 2020 season? Especially at midfield and defense.
Great team photo. I don't see Ford Higgins (#34) and count 63 players in uniform, with only a handful of Firsties. Despite the PL Coaches poll, the future looks bright to me, and I like that expectations are low.
Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
Unlike you Laxpere I don’t have any thing but great things to say about all that I’m reading and hearing from the Yard. I’m excited for the season to start and for the new era of Navy Lacrosse to begin. I’ll miss a familiar face on the sideline (hint,not the HC) but that’s how things go. I’am also excited to see how the Sowell/Wellner recruits do. I think Coach Amplo has a full deck to play with. And btw- Good luck to Coach Wellner in South Bend. Hoping we read about him next summer as he takes the helm of a program as a Head Coach, which Is very well deserved. GO NAVY!!
"Unlike you laxpere I don’t have any thing but great things to say about all that I’m reading and hearing from the Yard."?
Healthy,
Not sure what ticked you off, but I am very surprised to say the least. I apologize if you view any of my posts as negative or any posts have upset you. Are you confusing me with OJF? I hope not!
Was it asking about an over/under during the summer? FWIW, I thought six back then prior to fall ball, but I think that seven, and possibly eight, might be a better number now based on the 2020 scrimmages. Frankly, all that matters is the PL record and going to the PL tourney to extend the season.
Would you please PM with details so I can understand? I don't want to offend a player's parent.
I think that I am optimistic about Navy Lacrosse and believe that I have maintained a positive tone. Below is one of my more recent posts.
laxpere wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:46 pm Great feature story in Cap Gazette. Thank you, Bill Wagner. Hearty congratulations to Ford Higgins for joining the lacrosse team. It will be easy to root for him, and no doubt he'll have a positive impact on the rest of the team. Who wouldn't enjoy seeing lacrosse experience the same turnaround this season that football saw this past season? Especially destroying Army!

It is remarkable what a difference a year has made. Coach Amplo is making a mark off the the field and setting a very positive tone. The rest of the coaching staff has made a difference too. Everyone is pulling on the same oar and looking forward to the coming season. So much positive energy and promise for a strong start of a new era. Expectations are low right now so there's bound to be a positive surprise.

Congrats to Brad Alexander for the honor of wearing 40. Youth is right - he is one helluva young man.

Good luck in Chapel Hill this weekend.
Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
I am also looking forward to watching Navy Lacrosse play this year. Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020! typically is my sign-off. I think that the vibes around the program and the coaching change have been very positive. The culture has definitely changed for the better, as pointed out by the Navy Sports article on Coach Amplo and his assistants last week.

Expectations are low, like the PL Coaches poll, and I think that the team should have a good year since I think that the midfield and defense will improve versus last year. Replacing 6 and 8 will be a challenge but a more balanced offense should be good for the long run.

Coach Wellner is missed, and I second the good luck to him in South Bend. You may have seen it, but here's a tweet from him from this morning. Very thoughtful.
Ryan Wellner@RyanWellner
Good luck to @amplo_joe
@Coach_Ross10
@orsy82
@coach_camposa
@markgoers
@StacieMichaud
@BrianPSellers
and the rest of the Navy Lacrosse Staff.
@navymlax
go get em!
6:46 AM · Feb 7, 2020 from South Bend, IN·Twitter for iPhone

Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
laxxygilmore

Re: Navy 2020

Post by laxxygilmore »

Coach Wellner is a consummate professional - a class act through and through. The Fighting Irish are most fortunate to have him.
Tecumseh

Re: Navy 2020 - First season of Coach Amplo era begins

Post by Tecumseh »

laxpere wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:06 am
HealthyDebate wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:34 pm
laxpere wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:33 pm On the eve of the first regular season game of the Coach Amplo (and Coaches Ross/Orsen) era, I am wondering who else would enjoy hearing from some of the sages from 2019.
I am thinking that SonnySide, HealthyDebate and Tecumseh, along with some others, have been quietly taking it all in, but are geared up and ready for the season to start. What are y'all thinking about the 2020 season? Especially at midfield and defense.
Great team photo. I don't see Ford Higgins (#34) and count 63 players in uniform, with only a handful of Firsties. Despite the PL Coaches poll, the future looks bright to me, and I like that expectations are low.
Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
Unlike you Laxpere I don’t have any thing but great things to say about all that I’m reading and hearing from the Yard. I’m excited for the season to start and for the new era of Navy Lacrosse to begin. I’ll miss a familiar face on the sideline (hint,not the HC) but that’s how things go. I’am also excited to see how the Sowell/Wellner recruits do. I think Coach Amplo has a full deck to play with. And btw- Good luck to Coach Wellner in South Bend. Hoping we read about him next summer as he takes the helm of a program as a Head Coach, which Is very well deserved. GO NAVY!!
"Unlike you laxpere I don’t have any thing but great things to say about all that I’m reading and hearing from the Yard."?
Healthy,
Not sure what ticked you off, but I am very surprised to say the least. I apologize if you view any of my posts as negative or any posts have upset you. Are you confusing me with OJF? I hope not!
Was it asking about an over/under during the summer? FWIW, I thought six back then prior to fall ball, but I think that seven, and possibly eight, might be a better number now based on the 2020 scrimmages. Frankly, all that matters is the PL record and going to the PL tourney to extend the season.
Would you please PM with details so I can understand? I don't want to offend a player's parent.
I think that I am optimistic about Navy Lacrosse and believe that I have maintained a positive tone. Below is one of my more recent posts.
laxpere wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:46 pm Great feature story in Cap Gazette. Thank you, Bill Wagner. Hearty congratulations to Ford Higgins for joining the lacrosse team. It will be easy to root for him, and no doubt he'll have a positive impact on the rest of the team. Who wouldn't enjoy seeing lacrosse experience the same turnaround this season that football saw this past season? Especially destroying Army!

It is remarkable what a difference a year has made. Coach Amplo is making a mark off the the field and setting a very positive tone. The rest of the coaching staff has made a difference too. Everyone is pulling on the same oar and looking forward to the coming season. So much positive energy and promise for a strong start of a new era. Expectations are low right now so there's bound to be a positive surprise.

Congrats to Brad Alexander for the honor of wearing 40. Youth is right - he is one helluva young man.

Good luck in Chapel Hill this weekend.
Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
I am also looking forward to watching Navy Lacrosse play this year. Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020! typically is my sign-off. I think that the vibes around the program and the coaching change have been very positive. The culture has definitely changed for the better, as pointed out by the Navy Sports article on Coach Amplo and his assistants last week.

Expectations are low, like the PL Coaches poll, and I think that the team should have a good year since I think that the midfield and defense will improve versus last year. Replacing 6 and 8 will be a challenge but a more balanced offense should be good for the long run.

Coach Wellner is missed, and I second the good luck to him in South Bend. You may have seen it, but here's a tweet from him from this morning. Very thoughtful.
Ryan Wellner@RyanWellner
Good luck to @amplo_joe
@Coach_Ross10
@orsy82
@coach_camposa
@markgoers
@StacieMichaud
@BrianPSellers
and the rest of the Navy Lacrosse Staff.
@navymlax
go get em!
6:46 AM · Feb 7, 2020 from South Bend, IN·Twitter for iPhone

Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
Very Classy indeed !

Here you go :

http://admin.navysports.com/services/go ... ta=1919069

I share everyone’s guarded optimism. Not only is Amplo a solid hire so are his 2 assistants.

I’m calling a big win tonight - 21-7 for the Mids.

FORE
“T”
So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart. Trouble no one about their religion; respect others in their view, and demand that they respect yours. Love your life, perfect your life, beautify all things in your life.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Let’s GO!!!!!!

laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Nice! Let's Go indeed! And then there's this impressive interview of MIDN Cole by VONL...kudos!

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

From Xanders twitter
IL's No. 5 senior Xavier Arline (Shoreham-Wading River, N.Y.) just committed to @NavyFB and is also expected to join @NavyMLAX during his time in Annapolis.
Believe he decommitted from UNC
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

:) Nice “W” by Navy over ND!
laxxygilmore wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:05 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:02 pm Here’s a good prospect for the Mids.
Two sports, option QB and attack,
de-committed from UNC.

Recruiting: Eyeing Two Sports, IL's No. 5 Senior Xavier Arline Decommits from UNC
Agreed. Quite the gifted athlete indeed...could be an interesting Navy vs. ND contest to land him...
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -unc/55712
(12/20/19)

Twice named to Newsday's All-Long Island First Team, Arline finished his career with 8,621 all-purpose yards with 124 touchdowns, helping lead the Wildcats to Long Island Championships in 2016 and 2019.

He most recently received an offer from Navy after a wildly successful senior season, also holding offers from Army, Stony Brook, Rice and New Hampshire. In August, Arline was extended a preferred walk-on offer by Notre Dame, where he would also play lacrosse for the Fighting Irish.

Though some have recruited him as a quarterback (service academies employ offenses that are led by dynamic, run-heavy QBs), Arline has been getting looked at as a H-back, slot and defensive back.

On the lacrosse field, Arline led Long Island with 137 points on 70 goals and 67 assists as a junior, picking up a New York Class 'C' state title along with All-American honors. He's been an electric playmaker for Team 91 Crush as well, teaming up with No. 1 recruit Brennan O'Neill '20 and Joey Spallina '22 on the attack.

There's no timeline for his final college decision, as football just had its Early Signing Period this past week. The regular National Signing Day is on Feb. 5 — stay up to date on developments in Arline's recruiting by following Xavier on Twitter, as well as @tyxanders and @ILPreps.
...especially after the #23 ranked Mids beat Kansas State in the Liberty Bowl on 12/31/19! GO NAVY!
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Now the "boom" tweet earlier today from Coach Amplo makes sense.
Strong Island!
Going to freeze tonight but it will be well worth it.
Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

IL says Navy won 9-4 over Manhattan. A win is a win. Not the score I thought it would be by a long shot. Looking forward to comments from those in attendance.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

W

1-0

Better than JHU’s current 0-0.

Go Mids!
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:38 pm IL says Navy won 9-4 over Manhattan. A win is a win. Not the score I thought it would be by a long shot. Looking forward to comments from those in attendance.
It will be awhile - both of them are still thawing out.

Gk Kern was stout w/ 14svs.
laxxygilmore

Post by laxxygilmore »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:04 pm W

1-0

Better than JHU’s current 0-0.

Go Mids!
Saturday’s Capital Gazette headline...

Amplo Undefeated as Navy Lacrosse Head Coach!

👍 :)

GO NAVY! BEAT FURMAN!
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

Laxxygilmore's headline captures it well. A winning start to the Coach Amplo era.
Not really a night for anyone to be outdoors for so long.
I was encouraged by the solid start in the first quarter. It was a little rough around the edges later.
Kern had to be outstanding and he was. Player of the game for me.
It's a work in progress. The foundation looks solid and the team should be able to build up from here.
Go Navy Lacrosse v.2020!
old salt

Post by old salt »

Brrrr ! Workmanlike performance in miserable conditions.

Still very much a work in progress, but the parts are there.

The major concerns have been assuaged. They're headed in the right direction.

Will post brain droppings when it thaws our. Hopefully PLN will archive this one for video review.

Promising start to a new era.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

laxxygilmore wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:14 pm :) Nice “W” by Navy over ND!
laxxygilmore wrote: Sat Dec 28, 2019 2:05 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:02 pm Here’s a good prospect for the Mids.
Two sports, option QB and attack,
de-committed from UNC.

Recruiting: Eyeing Two Sports, IL's No. 5 Senior Xavier Arline Decommits from UNC
Agreed. Quite the gifted athlete indeed...could be an interesting Navy vs. ND contest to land him...
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -unc/55712
(12/20/19)

Twice named to Newsday's All-Long Island First Team, Arline finished his career with 8,621 all-purpose yards with 124 touchdowns, helping lead the Wildcats to Long Island Championships in 2016 and 2019.

He most recently received an offer from Navy after a wildly successful senior season, also holding offers from Army, Stony Brook, Rice and New Hampshire. In August, Arline was extended a preferred walk-on offer by Notre Dame, where he would also play lacrosse for the Fighting Irish.

Though some have recruited him as a quarterback (service academies employ offenses that are led by dynamic, run-heavy QBs), Arline has been getting looked at as a H-back, slot and defensive back.

On the lacrosse field, Arline led Long Island with 137 points on 70 goals and 67 assists as a junior, picking up a New York Class 'C' state title along with All-American honors. He's been an electric playmaker for Team 91 Crush as well, teaming up with No. 1 recruit Brennan O'Neill '20 and Joey Spallina '22 on the attack.

There's no timeline for his final college decision, as football just had its Early Signing Period this past week. The regular National Signing Day is on Feb. 5 — stay up to date on developments in Arline's recruiting by following Xavier on Twitter, as well as @tyxanders and @ILPreps.
...especially after the #23 ranked Mids beat Kansas State in the Liberty Bowl on 12/31/19! GO NAVY!
Made the correct choice :!:
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

AreaLax wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:02 pm From Xanders twitter
IL's No. 5 senior Xavier Arline (Shoreham-Wading River, N.Y.) just committed to @NavyFB and is also expected to join @NavyMLAX during his time in Annapolis.
Believe he decommitted from UNC
That's a huge get -- I hope he does indeed stay as a 2-sport player. (It seems pretty clear that from where he stands today he intends to -- I'm more just thinking about the demands of football on time and the body at any college program, let alone one with the additional academic/military rigor of USNA.)

Congrats on Coach Amplo and his staff on their first win. I was initially surprised by the low score but, then again, the conditions were miserable. Face-offs were good; good amount of caused turnovers; and Kern continues to be a gem. Hard to hold the high turnovers of Navy against them when it's that cold/windy, but I do think there will continue to be a fair amount of turnovers as the offense gets used to a more complicated ball-movement-based offense than from what was run in the past. If they can clean those turnovers up on the margins and keep up the intensity on defense, the ride and ground balls, and be above 50% of face-offs (which Barry, who looks good, seems very capable of), then with a guy like Kern in the goal they should be in most contests and hopefully pull off a few surprises. Go Navy!
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

old salt wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:17 am Brrrr ! Workmanlike performance in miserable conditions.

Will post brain droppings when it thaws our. Hopefully PLN will archive this one for video review.

OMG! Can only imagine if RS was coach and a 9-4 win over Manhattan with 21, yes 21 turnovers, would be labeled as "..major concerns have been assuaged."!! Thank goodness for Kern. If a 9-4 win over Manhattan amounts to a "promising start" then beating always powerful Furman should get the Mids into the top 20. Where is all the depth that RS was burying on the bench, according to Youth? Too funny, thanks for the Saturday morning comedy.

Navy has a solid team that will be middle of the pack in the improved PL. Enjoy the Kool-aid!
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

ojf’s idol - Leadership
ojf’s idol - Leadership
7FDA01C2-FDAC-4495-AF1B-A0C1E8E3277D.jpeg (215.84 KiB) Viewed 2988 times
old salt

Post by old salt »

oldjayfan wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:41 pm
old salt wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:17 am Brrrr ! Workmanlike performance in miserable conditions.

OMG! Can only imagine if RS was coach and a 9-4 win over Manhattan with 21, yes 21 turnovers, would be labeled as "..major concerns have been assuaged."!! Thank goodness for Kern. If a 9-4 win over Manhattan amounts to a "promising start" then beating always powerful Furman should get the Mids into the top 20. Where is all the depth that RS was burying on the bench, according to Youth? Too funny, thanks for the Saturday morning comedy.

Navy has a solid team that will be middle of the pack in the improved PL. Enjoy the Kool-aid!
Depth buried on the bench ? #57 who started at attack, was almost cut last preseason. Got an assist -- one of 8 O players to get a G or A. He was part of a 4 man attack unit. 6 O middies split shifts equally. #54 came in for a special play (which I hope we see again). 2 FOGOs, 4 DM's & 4 LSM's rotated shifts. A 4th close D pole rotated in.
That's more players, splitting time more evenly, than recent years.
Very similar to the depth & playing time splits that Army & Lehigh showed today.

Given the playing conditions, the number of turnovers was not alarming. No more pointless dodging to darkness.
Passing & ball movement was much improved over recent seasons, especially in Q1 when Navy took control & put the game away.
After Q1, the outcome was never in doubt. The sloppiness which followed was not surprising or particularly alarming.
Passing in the gusty winds was a challenge. It was amusing seeing what the wind did to Manhattan's Hail Mary passes at the empty goal during Navy's 10 man ride.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:22 pm
oldjayfan wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:41 pm

Better start than 2012 in Jax. #57 who started at attack, was almost cut last preseason. Got an assist -- one of 9 O players to get a G or A.
He was part of a 4 man attack unit. 6 O middies split shifts equally. #54 came in for a special play (which I hope we see again).
2 FOGOs, 4 DM's & 3 LSM's rotated shifts. A 4th close D pole rotated in.
That's more players, splitting time more evenly, that recent years.
Very similar to the depth & playing time splits that Army & Lehigh showed today.

Given the playing conditions, the number of turnovers was not alarming. No more pointless dodging to darkness.
Passing & ball movement was much improved, especially in Q1 when Navy took control & put the game away.
After Q1, the outcome was never in doubt. The sloppiness which followed was not surprising or particularly alarming.
Passing in the gusty wind was a challenge. It was amusing seeing what the wind did to Manhattan's Hail Mary passes at the empty goal during Navy's 10 man ride.
26 men saw the field last night, and it was not just in the final minutes of the 4th qtr.

OldJayFan...here are some of those men I spoke of...
#57 started and has contributed quite well, including every scrimmage, As noted above....darned near cut or written off.
#11 back in the lineup after essentially being sat all last year
#31 seeing significantly more minutes
#42 never saw the field last year
#05 Started to see more time last year
#15 Saw no time last year and has contributed a bunch in the 5 scrimmages
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”