NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
bighoss74

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by bighoss74 »

MrLax2U wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:54 am
23-11 Tufts.
I think it'll be a lot closer. Why embarrass a coach/team which in essence is doing you a favor? May need another someday.

Why isn't Tufts playing Brown? Much closer geographically and there's the Daly connection.
Brown is already playing this weekend, don't know against who
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

bighoss74 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:14 am
MrLax2U wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:54 am
23-11 Tufts.
I think it'll be a lot closer. Why embarrass a coach/team which in essence is doing you a favor? May need another someday.

Why isn't Tufts playing Brown? Much closer geographically and there's the Daly connection.
Brown is already playing this weekend, don't know against who
BU. But they certainly have some time on their hands. If Tufts wants another D1 challenge to get ready for the tourney they should be available.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Would NESCAC fans agree with this line of reasoning. Am I correct in thinking that the classes of 21,22 and 23 will be getting that 5th year. If that is the case then I’m on record that Lynchburg will be the greatest beneficiary of that ruling and will win the ODAC title each one of those years. They will continue to have a handful of 5th year seniors for the foreseeable future as well as transfers. There will be some risk to the program in recruiting freshman who realize that there will be a log jam when they arrive. I also think W&L should have an open field recruiting over the NESCAC’s Haverford and Swarthmore considering the policy choices those schools made during covid. What will the NESCAC’s decision be next season if this situation persists. I think people now know what action they will take. D1 lax isn’t growing and neither is the list of strong academic D3 schools that play the sport. W&L’s Johnson Scholarship program provides for a full academic scholarship for 10% of the incoming freshman class or about 45 students. If there was a time to grab some market share this is it😂. I’m hoping not to wake up to a lot of hate mail tomorrow
smoova

Post by smoova »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:54 pm Would NESCAC fans agree with this line of reasoning. Am I correct in thinking that the classes of 21,22 and 23 will be getting that 5th year. If that is the case then I’m on record that Lynchburg will be the greatest beneficiary of that ruling and will win the ODAC title each one of those years. They will continue to have a handful of 5th year seniors for the foreseeable future as well as transfers. There will be some risk to the program in recruiting freshman who realize that there will be a log jam when they arrive. I also think W&L should have an open field recruiting over the NESCAC’s Haverford and Swarthmore considering the policy choices those schools made during covid. What will the NESCAC’s decision be next season if this situation persists. I think people now know what action they will take. D1 lax isn’t growing and neither is the list of strong academic D3 schools that play the sport. W&L’s Johnson Scholarship program provides for a full academic scholarship for 10% of the incoming freshman class or about 45 students. If there was a time to grab some market share this is it😂. I’m hoping not to wake up to a lot of hate mail tomorrow
You've presented two interesting questions: (1) will the W&Ls/Lynchburgs/etc "steal" recruits from the NESCACs/Swarthmores/etc because of the latter's decisions around COVID and (2) will the W&Ls/Lynchburgs/etc benefit from the additional years of eligibility over the NESCACs, who have conference eligibility limitations.

I think the answer to (1) is "No." Most 2022 high school players (and parents) assume that administrative actions to limit/eliminate play in 2021 were a COVID-induced anomaly and will not shy away from NESCACs/Swarthmores/etc this summer. If those schools pull similar shenanigans with the 2022 season, I think it will have a material impact on recruiting for the 2023 high school class (a class that should be completely stuffed with talent as a result of many 2022 players being held back in order to increase their recruiting opportunities).

The answer to (2) is complicated: while having more, older players usually leads to short-term success there are pit-falls in this path. At a 30,000' level, kids who graduate in 2022 have been heavily impacted by (i) the NCAA's grant of additional year(s) of eligibility, which allows coaches at most DI programs to take much smaller 2022 classes, and (ii) the extended DI dead period, which prevented in-person DI scouting/communication during 2020 and the first half of 2021. As a result, most DI programs don't need as many 2022 recruits and have, to date, committed large portions of their smaller 2022 class based primarily on video, zoom calls, club coach recommendations and in-person evaluations from way back in 2019.

This has left many talented 2022 players overlooked and uncommitted. The top DIII coaches are all keenly aware of this opportunity. What complicates matters for schools like W&L/Lynchburg/etc is that uncommitted 2022 players/parents have spent this spring watching many heralded transfers/6th/7th years playing in DI games. Those potential recruits understand that the grads/transfers are keeping younger kids on the bench and aren't interested in losing their own playing opportunities to the next Kirst/Morrill/Sowers/Charalambides, particularly if they are a top player considering a DIII program.

DIII coaches who can take on grads/transfers will have a very fine line to walk. Overplay the grad/transfer angle and the NESCAC coaches will certainly point it out. I've come to think of the grad/transfer opportunity as raw sugar for coaches: a little bit can provide a nice short-term boost, but too much can lead to painful crash.
bighoss74

Post by bighoss74 »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:54 pm Would NESCAC fans agree with this line of reasoning. Am I correct in thinking that the classes of 21,22 and 23 will be getting that 5th year. If that is the case then I’m on record that Lynchburg will be the greatest beneficiary of that ruling and will win the ODAC title each one of those years. They will continue to have a handful of 5th year seniors for the foreseeable future as well as transfers. There will be some risk to the program in recruiting freshman who realize that there will be a log jam when they arrive. I also think W&L should have an open field recruiting over the NESCAC’s Haverford and Swarthmore considering the policy choices those schools made during covid. What will the NESCAC’s decision be next season if this situation persists. I think people now know what action they will take. D1 lax isn’t growing and neither is the list of strong academic D3 schools that play the sport. W&L’s Johnson Scholarship program provides for a full academic scholarship for 10% of the incoming freshman class or about 45 students. If there was a time to grab some market share this is it😂. I’m hoping not to wake up to a lot of hate mail tomorrow
I might be alone here but when considering a school my first thought probably wouldn't be "I wonder what their athletic policies will be during a once in a lifetime worldwide pandemic" rather than "is this an exceptional school with a lacrosse program that is consistently competing for conference and national championships"
smoova

Post by smoova »

bighoss74 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:43 am I might be alone here but when considering a school my first thought probably wouldn't be "I wonder what their athletic policies will be during a once in a lifetime worldwide pandemic" rather than "is this an exceptional school with a lacrosse program that is consistently competing for conference and national championships"
You're certainly not alone, but I think @Dehuntshigwa’es was asking whether COVID and grad transfer policies would be a major factor for kids who are lucky enough to choose between schools with roughly similar academic and lacrosse programs.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Apparently the NESCAC players are being forced to wear masks during competition. A five game season whilst wearing masks.

There really isn’t much more to say. I would encourage my kid to go elsewhere.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

smoova wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:52 am
You've presented two interesting questions: (1) will the W&Ls/Lynchburgs/etc "steal" recruits from the NESCACs/Swarthmores/etc because of the latter's decisions around COVID and (2) will the W&Ls/Lynchburgs/etc benefit from the additional years of eligibility over the NESCACs, who have conference eligibility limitations.

I think the answer to (1) is "No." Most 2022 high school players (and parents) assume that administrative actions to limit/eliminate play in 2021 were a COVID-induced anomaly and will not shy away from NESCACs/Swarthmores/etc this summer. If those schools pull similar shenanigans with the 2022 season, I think it will have a material impact on recruiting for the 2023 high school class (a class that should be completely stuffed with talent as a result of many 2022 players being held back in order to increase their recruiting opportunities).

The answer to (2) is complicated: while having more, older players usually leads to short-term success there are pit-falls in this path. At a 30,000' level, kids who graduate in 2022 have been heavily impacted by (i) the NCAA's grant of additional year(s) of eligibility, which allows coaches at most DI programs to take much smaller 2022 classes, and (ii) the extended DI dead period, which prevented in-person DI scouting/communication during 2020 and the first half of 2021. As a result, most DI programs don't need as many 2022 recruits and have, to date, committed large portions of their smaller 2022 class based primarily on video, zoom calls, club coach recommendations and in-person evaluations from way back in 2019.

This has left many talented 2022 players overlooked and uncommitted. The top DIII coaches are all keenly aware of this opportunity. What complicates matters for schools like W&L/Lynchburg/etc is that uncommitted 2022 players/parents have spent this spring watching many heralded transfers/6th/7th years playing in DI games. Those potential recruits understand that the grads/transfers are keeping younger kids on the bench and aren't interested in losing their own playing opportunities to the next Kirst/Morrill/Sowers/Charalambides, particularly if they are a top player considering a DIII program.

DIII coaches who can take on grads/transfers will have a very fine line to walk. Overplay the grad/transfer angle and the NESCAC coaches will certainly point it out. I've come to think of the grad/transfer opportunity as raw sugar for coaches: a little bit can provide a nice short-term boost, but too much can lead to painful crash.
Not much to add to this very well said answer. While Swarthmore and Haverford are excellent schools and certainly overlap as choices for many NESCAC students, this hasn’t really been the case for top flight lacrosse players. Those schools are a clear step or 2 down in just the lacrosse sense from most NESCACs so I don’t think many top recruits really are considering both. As for Lynchburg and W&L, much more comparable lacrosse level but I’m not sure, just on geography, what the recruiting overlap is there. While there are undoubtedly some, I don’t think there are a bunch of players considering Tufts v Lynchburg. They both pull great players but from fairly different pools.
smoova

Post by smoova »

JBFortunato wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:47 am Apparently the NESCAC players are being forced to wear masks during competition.
This has been happening at youth/high school practices and games in many parts of the country for the last ~9 months. Compliance varies and chin-diapers abound. IME, it bothers the spectators far more than it does the players.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

smoova wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:19 am
JBFortunato wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:47 am Apparently the NESCAC players are being forced to wear masks during competition.
This has been happening at youth/high school practices and games in many parts of the country for the last ~9 months. Compliance varies and chin-diapers abound. IME, it bothers the spectators far more than it does the players.
No, no it bothers the players.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Unknown Participant wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:24 am
smoova wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:19 am
No, no it bothers the players.
Your experience differs from mine.
bighoss74

Post by bighoss74 »

JBFortunato wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:47 am Apparently the NESCAC players are being forced to wear masks during competition. A five game season whilst wearing masks.

There really isn’t much more to say. I would encourage my kid to go elsewhere.
Rule isn't enforced at all
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

On the old bucket helmets players used to tape their bottom 2 bars in the 80s and 90s or put a second pad by the chin.

Seems like an easy solution to today's issue.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/dq8AAOSw ... s-l400.jpg
Oldbarndog

Post by Oldbarndog »

The Bacharach was always cooler than the Brine.
"Dear Naps. Sorry I was such a jerk to you when I was a kid"
JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

https://www.espn.com/espnplus/schedule/ ... e/20210425

Link to the Tufts/Dartmouth game today at 3pm.
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

JumboFan4 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:43 am https://www.espn.com/espnplus/schedule/ ... e/20210425

of course they get it streamed on espn+, smdh..rip
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I’ll go with Tufts 18-11
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

I’ll go with Tufts 18-11
JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

georgeoar394 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:17 am
JumboFan4 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:43 am https://www.espn.com/espnplus/schedule/ ... e/20210425

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I’ve never used ESPN+.
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

georgeoar394 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:17 am

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I’ve never used ESPN+.
I drive a Dodge Stratus.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”