Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: Loyola University Lacrosse 2020

Post by houndace1 »

1st quarter thoughts.

2-0 start with so many more shots than rutgers is iffy. Ball movement seemed good in the first 8 minutes but then we had some turnovers in transition...

not really sure what Olmstead is trying to do with these dodges from X and such low angle shots.

Defense loooks great so far! Matt Hughes impresses me. Shoutout to Razanka for two caused turnovers.

Shafer is really seeing the ball well.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

holy Sh*t kamish with a Rip off of a roll dodge out of a double team
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Nice dominant first half. Savio is a beast - 11 of 12. Finally got my wish of seeing Hughes play. He has been trading out with Johnson. Doesn't look like Railey is in uniform.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

2nd quarter thoughts:

Rutgers went on a run due to turnovers and some missed GB's off of the faceoff.
Defense responded nicely by shutting the Rutgers O down after that.

Our LSM's can really shoot the ball kudos to McNulty and Middleton for those well placed shots.

Kamish with two nice goals, one from the roll dodge, the other off of a quick flash inside to finish Poitras' pass.

We're dominating in nearly every stat category though i wish the offense could produce some more after halftime adjustments.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

houndace1 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:01 pm 2nd quarter thoughts:

Rutgers went on a run due to turnovers and some missed GB's off of the faceoff.
Defense responded nicely by shutting the Rutgers O down after that.

Our LSM's can really shoot the ball kudos to McNulty and Middleton for those well placed shots.

Kamish with two nice goals, one from the roll dodge, the other off of a quick flash inside to finish Poitras' pass.

We're dominating in nearly every stat category though i wish the offense could produce some more after halftime adjustments.
Getting whooped 3rd quarter. Back to turnovers and bad shots. No points. 7-7.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Rope is loose
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

I missed the 2nd half cus of family lunch but caught the last 30 seconds. Why was teitelbaum in for Shafer at goalie?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

This team has got to shoot better. It's getting to the point now where it is no longer bad luck and now a legit concern.

Also it would be nice if they could get a settled defensive lineup. It's tough when you're tossing out 5 different guys on close D for significant minutes in 3 games.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

The game was as close as I expected. Rutgers has talent and we’ve had a Hopkins hangover in the past.

On the bright side, helluva game for those Kamish boys.

The older Brennan scores the late go ahead goal for Rutgers. Looked like the game winner.

But the younger Joey responds after the tie with the ultimate game winner for the Hounds.

:shock:
loyola11

Post by loyola11 »

TheBigIguana wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:01 pm This team has got to shoot better. It's getting to the point now where it is no longer bad luck and now a legit concern.

Also it would be nice if they could get a settled defensive lineup. It's tough when you're tossing out 5 different guys on close D for significant minutes in 3 games.
They need to replace the do-nothing minis. Not sure if van is seeing the big picture. Swindell and poitras. Are the only two salad mids. Cox. Bateman. Seay. James. Deveraux have Not proven themselves. There was no reason this team should have struggled against Rutgers
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

loyola11 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:01 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 3:01 pm This team has got to shoot better. It's getting to the point now where it is no longer bad luck and now a legit concern.

They need to replace the do-nothing minis. Not sure if van is seeing the big picture. Swindell and poitras. Are the only two salad mids. Cox. Bateman. Seay. James. Deveraux have Not proven themselves. There was no reason this team should have struggled against Rutgers
I wouldn't break up first midfield. Wigley might not have the points at the moment, but today he kept the pole all game because Rutgers was terrified of his speed up against a short stick. Poitras may not have scored today but he is so good at getting to dangerous areas. Sometimes it doesn't go in but he is a seriously good player.

After that it is a crap shoot. Toomey sees that because he isn't going to 3rd midfield in tight games if he has a more established second unit. Honestly I don't know what the answer is. Deverauex and Cox should be split up though as neither has the speed or agility to be a major dodging threat but both should give you enough shooting. James I thought had a decent moment or too and Matt Hueston got a few runs and showed at least he could run by somebody occasionally.

I thought Kamish would come around and we really needed that today. The top 6 is becoming a decent offense and will be more than that if they shoot better. Depth is a major concern now. 1 assist in the 6v6 from players on midfields 2 and 3. Maybe they'll go to what Duke did when they only had 4 decent midfielders and just ride those guys rotating one person out at a time. I hope it doesn't come to that.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

It is a bit concerning when our LSMs have better shooting percentages than some of our offensive middies. I love Wigley, but he is in a huge slump.
Laxfan01

Post by Laxfan01 »

Overall solid team win. Rutgers is a good team, and
I think they will surprise some people in the Big 10.
The offense is still a work-in progress, but if we didn’t shoot so dismally then I think we have 4/5+ more goals. The potential is there. I was waiting for Kamish to play to his ability and it showed today. He just looked a step faster then everybody else-he’s gonna be scary. I also thought the D was great for the most part. They stuck to the apparent game plan which was to limit the Rutgers attack and let them shoot from the outside. They rotated very well and aside from a couple mistakes here and there, I was satisfied. Shafer was not his usual self in the second half-there were at least 3-4 he should have had. He seemed like he was in his own head. Regardless I think he’ll be fine, with the guys in front of him we don’t need a stover, just a guy who makes the ones he should
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

TheBigIguana wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:17 pm

I wouldn't break up first midfield. Wigley might not have the points at the moment, but today he kept the pole all game because Rutgers was terrified of his speed up against a short stick. Poitras may not have scored today but he is so good at getting to dangerous areas. Sometimes it doesn't go in but he is a seriously good player.

After that it is a dump shoot. Toomey sees that because he isn't going to 3rd midfield in tight games if he has a more established second unit. Honestly I don't know what the answer is. Deverauex and Cox should be split up though as neither has the speed or agility to be a major dodging threat but both should give you enough shooting. James I thought had a decent moment or too and Matt Hueston got a few runs and showed at least he could run by somebody occasionally.

I thought Kamish would come around and we really needed that today. The top 6 is becoming a decent offense and will be more than that if they shoot better. Depth is a major concern now. 1 assist in the 6v6 from players on midfields 2 and 3. Maybe they'll go to what Duke did when they only had 4 decent midfielders and just ride those guys rotating one person out at a time. I hope it doesn't come to that.

Exactly. Swindell has become a beast. His goal that knotted the game at 9-9 was a beauty! Your point about Poitras is spot-on; the kid has that unteachable knack to drift or move to where he should be.

So happy for Joey Kamish. I am not certain which of you worry warts were here demanding his head on a platter last week, but I suspect those voices will be more quiet after today. The kid has a shot to behold ('ya see the winner!!!)...he will discover his natural spot here (if he did not do that today), and he is your next Hounds superstar (I have said it here before and I will repeat it now). Trusss...

Shout out to Bailey Savio who was sublime, again. His stats should jump to top-3 after today.

All in all, a win is a win, and sometimes simply be grateful for the W. This was a trap game and their goalie was en fuego. Don't worry about the score...worry about the result. We are now 2-1. One game at a time.

On to Wednesday night with Towson! Let's find the offensive rhythm, boys!

This team is so easy to cheer for...America's team!
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

HUGE Shoutout to the womens team for downing No 2. Florida today at Florida's stadium 17-6!

Also UNC women hammered Maryland today giving them back to back losses for the first time under Head Coach Cathy Reese.

Expect some shakeup in the women's polls come monday.

I'll post my thoughts on the 2nd half and overall of the mens game today as well.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Ugly. But a win. Rutgers goalie kept the game close. Savio likewise bailed out the Hounds. Good for Kamish show us what he's got.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Watched the replay. My take is that Rutgers is a pretty good team and will surprise people this year. The big surprise is how Army beat them 17-4 or something like that. I just don't see how any team puts up 17 against Rutgers if their goalie plays like he did yesterday. Maybe he had a really bad off day against Army. He literally stole some good shots from the Hounds. Conversely, the Hounds also gave him some real easy shots to save.

Kamish finally shows us what he's got - a lot of good game. Olmstead can be unstoppable from either side of the cage. I believe Rutgers poles decided early on that they would not let Lindley beat them. Pestered him all day. Do so at your own peril because the others stepped up.

Hound poles - Rutgers attack only scored 3 but Middie Sprock went off. LPs scored two goals. Nice. Close D - a good problem to have is too many good poles. Gotta love it when the defense can make the offense turn it over on a shot clock violation - believe there were two instances of that yesterday, but Rutgers also had one. Hound's Rezanka shows us what he's got - some real tenacity out there but I believe we always knew that.

If Hounds are down one, up one, or tied in a close game and a face off is coming up you have confidence that Savio will win the draw and give the offense an opportunity to score or hold the ball.

All in all, Rutgers is a pretty good team and Loyola is too.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Laxfan01 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:31 pm Overall solid team win. Rutgers is a good team, and
The offense is still a work-in progress, but if we didn’t shoot so dismally then I think we have 4/5+ more goals. The potential is there. I was waiting for Kamish to play to his ability and it showed today. He just looked a step faster then everybody else-he’s gonna be scary. I also thought the D was great for the most part. They stuck to the apparent game plan which was to limit the Rutgers attack and let them shoot from the outside. They rotated very well and aside from a couple mistakes here and there, I was satisfied. Shafer was not his usual self in the second half-there were at least 3-4 he should have had. He seemed like he was in his own head. Regardless I think he’ll be fine, with the guys in front of him we don’t need a stover, just a guy who makes the ones he should
Solid team win??? This is a team Loyola should haven beaten by 5+ goals. Our shot selection is awful, our offensive turnovers, we shot 22%... we cant keep using the excuse that this is a young team. At some point this team has to mature. But the same mistakes that where made in the scrimmage are being made during the games. No growth. That has to be concerning.

Now we have a mid week game and we all know how Loyola fairs with midweek games.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

laxbro11 wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:22 am
Laxfan01 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:31 pm Overall solid team win. Rutgers is a good team, and
Solid team win??? This is a team Loyola should haven beaten by 5+ goals. Our shot selection is awful, our offensive turnovers, we shot 22%... we cant keep using the excuse that this is a young team. At some point this team has to mature. But the same mistakes that where made in the scrimmage are being made during the games. No growth. That has to be concerning.

Now we have a mid week game and we all know how Loyola fairs with midweek games.

What a nancy nabob of negativity you are. There's no gimme game in D1 lacrosse. Take a look around at other scores yesterday...many upsets. If you don't show up on any given day, you lose.

Can you find anything positive about the Hounds? Let me help!

How about Bailey going 23-24? (though even I admit I was bummed Pacheco lost his only FO! Get them next time, Eric!) How about Kamish pumping in his first 3 college goals (including game winner) and showing the lax world what's up? How about Middleton (local boy done good!) and McNulty demonstrating why we have the best LSM's in all of D1? How about the character of our bench, hooting and hollering with every goal and check and ride?!?!

And most of all, how about this, Two and One! 2-1. Yeah, boy. This team gets better every day!

On to Towson...let's go!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”