Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
drunkmonkey30

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:52 am Glenwood Pines was a must stop anytime I went to a Cornell game. Nice spot, friendly people, never had a bad experience there. Might be mistaken as it was a long time ago but I'm pretty sure this was on the wall at the bar there...caught my eye.

I know that
you believe you
understand what
you think I said
but
I am not so sure
you realize that
what you heard
is not
what I meant.
Can confirm. That sign was there for a long time!

Have not been to the pines since last summer. As of a year ago, they had not resumed table service since the pandemic. Food is still good, just not the same served in a styrofoam container.
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

CU88a wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:29 am I still have a Rongo t-shirt that I pull out every once in a while; but it has shrunk!

Anyone know or remember Barangus, another establishment out near T-burg?

Royal Palm, Rulloff's, Johnnys Big Red Grill, The Chariot, The Connection, Duffy's, Dunbar, The Nines, Chapter House, etc...

The Hot Truck on West campus, and what was the food truck on North campus? Johnny's something?

Other off campus places to escape: The Depot, Fall Creek House, Glenwood Pines, etc..

I know I am forgetting many great places.
Barangus went out of business 5-6 years ago. A great dive bar! Property is for sale!
CU88a

Post by CU88a »

drunkmonkey30 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:26 pm
CU88a wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:29 am I still have a Rongo t-shirt that I pull out every once in a while; but it has shrunk!

Anyone know or remember Barangus, another establishment out near T-burg?

Royal Palm, Rulloff's, Johnnys Big Red Grill, The Chariot, The Connection, Duffy's, Dunbar, The Nines, Chapter House, etc...

The Hot Truck on West campus, and what was the food truck on North campus? Johnny's something?

Other off campus places to escape: The Depot, Fall Creek House, Glenwood Pines, etc..

I know I am forgetting many great places.
Barangus went out of business 5-6 years ago. A great dive bar! Property is for sale!
They don't make them like that anymore.
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

What time is the Richie ceremony tomorrow?

I know someone mentioned this already, but I didn’t find it scrolling in my phone.

Want to be there for it, even if it’s sprinkling.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Laxfanatic2022 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 9:00 pm
Ezra White wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:46 pm
Laxfanatic2022 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:23 am ...
faircornell wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:59 pm This is one of those random pieces of analysis where I believe that my calculations are correct...

Both Cornell and Princeton have strong contenders for both Ivy POY and First Team All-Ivy goaltender. Some statistics going into next Saturday's game:

POY: CJ Kirst vs Coulter Mackesy:

Mackesy:

vs Ivy Goals: 24
vs Ivy Assists: 11
vs Ivy Points: 35

Kirst:

vs Ivy Goals: 27
vs Ivy Assists: 5
vs Ivy Points: 32

First Team Goalie: Chayse Ierlan vs Michael Gianforcaro

Gianforcaro:

vs Ivy saves: 76
vs Ivy Goals Allowed: 43
Save % vs Ivy: 64%

Ierlan:

vs Ivy saves: 65
vs Ivy Goals Allowed: 41
Save % vs Ivy: 61%

These numbers are vey close. I believe that the All-Ivy team is picked based on the regular season (I am happy to be corrected). This coming game will most likely tip the scales one way or another.

It’s a weird argument here because Mackesy has to go up against the best defenseman in the country in Gavin Adler. Let’s not forget that Adler would win IVY POY if Kirst wasn’t producing at such an insane level. I expect the matchup to be great but Mackesy finds goals off ball a ton while Kirst is way more of a dodging threat. Really looking forward to seeing the game Saturday. Final score prediction Cornell 15 Princeton 11
Here's a way of possibly estimating the "Adler Factor."
  1. Identify each Ivy team's top scorer
  2. Look up their goals, assists, and total points. Do this for both "all games" and "Ivy games."
  3. If they've played Cornell already, look up their goals, assists, and total points for the Cornell game.
  4. Adjust both their "all games" and "Ivy games" values by subtracting the Cornell values for goals, assists, and total points. These values will be the totals scored in games against teams other than Cornell.
  5. Divide these totals by the number of non-Cornell games played. These will then be each top-scorer's average goals, assists, and points scored per game against teams other than Cornell. Call these the "adjusted averages."
  6. Divide the corresponding values for goals, assists, and points for the Cornell game by the averages computed in the previous step.
  7. While you're at it, total the number of goals, assists, and total points by the top scorers in their games against Cornell. Divide these totals by the number of games Cornell has played against other Ivies. For the record, as of today Cornell has played 5 games against other Ivies and had 11, 6, and 17 goals, assists, and points scored by the other team's top scorers. The top scorers have averaged 2.2 goals, 1.2 assists, and 3.4 points against Cornell.
  8. Divide each top scorer's goals, assists, and total points in their game against Cornell by the corresponding values for their adjusted averages. This gives index numbers for each top scorer. Each index number represents the percent of their adjusted season averages the top scorer achieved in their game against Cornell.
  9. For example, Penn's Sam Handley scored 3 goals and 1 assist against Cornell but averaged 1.9 goals, 2.0 assists, or 3.9 total points against all other teams; he also averaged 2.0 goals, 2.6 assists, and 4.6 total points against other Ivy teams. So his index numbers for goals, assists, and points are 158%, 50%, and 102.6% compared to his performance against all other teams and compared to his performance against just other Ivy teams, 150%, 385, and 87% against Cornell.
  10. Overall, when they played against Cornell, the top scorers on other Ivy teams scored 59.2% of the average number of goals they scored against other Ivy teams, 64.9% of the number of assists, and 55.2% of the total number of points. The corresponding averages are 83.8%, 72.4%, and 79.8% for the top scorers' performance against Cornell relative to their performance in all other games.
  11. Coulter Mackesy hasn't played Cornell yet, so we can't compute his index number. But we can repeat this exercise, removing Princeton from the totals the same way we removed Cornell. Then we compare his performance against the other Ivies versus the other top scorers'. This is left as an exercise for the reader. :lol:
Calling this an "Adler Factor" implies quite a few assumptions:
  • Adler always guards the other team's top scorer. Besides slides, picks, etc., sometimes this is impossible. For example, Yale's Matt Brandau and Chris Lyons are tied with 52 total points during the season. Adler probably tried, but he couldn't guard them both simultaneously. I do believe he gave Brandau most of his attention, and Brandau scored only a goal and an assist against Cornell. Meanwhile, Lyons scored 3 goals. Brandau was held to 44% of his Ivy-only scoring, while Lyons achieved 63%. If Adler was primarily responsible for Brandau's subpar performance, and Adler achieves the same thing with Mackesy, we'd expect Mackesy to score about 4 points, most likely with 3 goals and 1 assist.
  • Characteristics of opposing players and their teams' styles of play might cause Adler to be assigned to mark someone other than the other team's "top scorer."
  • Game situations and coaching decisions affect these statistics. For example, in a 10-point blowout, coaches might decide to eat up the clock or clear the bench, in which case perhaps only data for the 1st 3 quarters should be used.
  • The team might play zone or use a 5 + 1 defensive formation, in which case Adler would not necessarily be covering the other team's top scorer.
  • A team's top scorer might change as the season progresses, due to injuries, younger players becoming acclimated to the college game, etc. A coach studying films from the first two games of the season might assign Adler to player X and then, at halftime, change the assignment to player Y.
This is an absurd analysis that doesn’t tell the whole story. Stats don’t tell the story as guys score and assist when they get matchup changes, emo, etc. Just watch the tape Adler has manhandled every opponents #1 and any points that come 99% of the time are when Adler is sliding or isn’t on the guy. He’s only responsible for giving up 1 point total this year to the guy he’s covered in the Ivy League which is INSANE just watch the tapes. Teams are actually game planning around him to get matchup changes now. I’m sure Princeton will have a scheme to get Mackesy free from Adler. Looking forward to a dog fight
Of course it doesn't tell the whole story. Statistics, and, more generally, quantitative analyses, never do.

Unfortunately, none of the ESPN+ videos to which I have access show 100% of Adler's coverage in any given game. Even if they did, there would be other things outside the camera's view that influence Adler's play. We'd still have to judge how much of a result is due to Adler.

Remember SOT? The coaches decided to have JT51 go the the sideline, along with his marking long-stick opponent, and then have the rest of the attack play 5 v 5. Things would have been very different if Jeff had the green light to beat his marker, although either strategy might have resulted in Cornell winning.

I was just trying to put a number on what we might expect from Mackesy.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

drunkmonkey30 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:32 pm What time is the Richie ceremony tomorrow?

I know someone mentioned this already, but I didn’t find it scrolling in my phone.

I believe that it's 10AM. I'll edit this message shortly if that's not correct.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

faircornell wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:53 pm
drunkmonkey30 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:32 pm What time is the Richie ceremony tomorrow?

10 am Hall of Fame room. Get there early if you want a seat!
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:56 pm
faircornell wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:53 pm

10 am Hall of Fame room. Get there early if you want a seat!
Awesome. Thanks. I’ll be standing in the back and hoisting my first beer of the day to Richie.

He was good friends with my in-laws. Hoisted many a drinks with Richie and Pat over the years.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:29 pm
oldbartman wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:53 pm
faircornell wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:48 pm
oldbartman wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:22 pm Didn't Craig Jaeger have a bar, or at least work in one in Ithaca?
Did he work at the Chapter House? They hired a lot of football players ?

Not sure. Anyone have Hendrickson or the Marino brothers contact info?
I asked Craig about this - he lives in Australia. He said he was the manager of The Haunt
Thanks!!! I knew he worked at some bar I was in. Albeit, my memory may be a "little" hazy.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

oldbartman wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:48 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:29 pm
oldbartman wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:53 pm
faircornell wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:48 pm
oldbartman wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:22 pm Didn't Craig Jaeger have a bar, or at least work in one in Ithaca?
Did he work at the Chapter House? They hired a lot of football players ?

Not sure. Anyone have Hendrickson or the Marino brothers contact info?
I asked Craig about this - he lives in Australia. He said he was the manager of The Haunt
Thanks!!! I knew he worked at some bar I was in. Albeit, my memory may be a "little" hazy.
Ahhh, the Haunt. Great place in the ALLEY, and on Friday afternoons, we would go down there and get that huge paper filled , half gallon, I think of beer for like 3 bucks. Those containers were shaped like a popcorn container you got at the movies. I could barely finish one and then get another and then pass out until about 9pm and then head out to the chapter house or Nines for another go around.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

What time is today's game. On the Cornell website, it shows the game at 12 noon, but on the Inside Lacrosse scoreboard, it shows the game at 3pm?

I assume ESPN moved the game to 3pm but I just wanted to be sure. Can anyone confirm it's at 3pm?

Gobigred
Joewillie78
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:50 am What time is today's game. On the Cornell website, it shows the game at 12 noon, but on the Inside Lacrosse scoreboard, it shows the game at 3pm?

I assume ESPN moved the game to 3pm but I just wanted to be sure. Can anyone confirm it's at 3pm?

Gobigred
Joewillie78
I don't know, but as a guide, the Alumni update says 12 Noon and the ESPN + schedule says 12 Noon.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:58 am
joewillie78 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:50 am What time is today's game. On the Cornell website, it shows the game at 12 noon, but on the Inside Lacrosse scoreboard, it shows the game at 3pm?

Gobigred
Joewillie78
I don't know, but as a guide, the Alumni update says 12 Noon and the ESPN + schedule says 12 Noon.
The Princeton website says 12 Noon.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Gobigred
Joewillie78
The Game is at noon. It was originally scheduled for 3pm but the time was changed awhile ago. Men vs Princeton at noon. Women vs Brown at 3pm. After that, Spring football scrimmage . Richie Moran Plaque Dedication Ceremony at 10 am.
Laxnuthin

Post by Laxnuthin »

The Rongovian Embassy! Oh man... had totally forgotten about that place. For the guitar players... do you guys remember Rumble Seat? Looks like it's closed too.
[/quote]

Rumble Seat moved to Nashville around 2016. A much better place to find and sell inventory for a store with the most amazing selection I ever saw.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

CU88a wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:29 am
The Hot Truck on West campus, and what was the food truck on North campus?
That was Louie's in the late 60s, 20 years before you. It was there when My father (Cornell 1940) played football in the1939 undefeated team. :shock:
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Laxnuthin wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:41 am
The Rongovian Embassy! Oh man... had totally forgotten about that place. For the guitar players... do you guys remember Rumble Seat? Looks like it's closed too.
Rumble Seat moved to Nashville around 2016. A much better place to find and sell inventory for a store with the most amazing selection I ever saw.
Good to know - I’m glad it is still around in some form. A buddy of mine and I spent many an hour playing vintage strats through all-original vintage amps. Amazing vibe to that place… staff was super cool, great space to jam. One of the places that made downtown magical for us. It was almost too good to be true for a small place like Ithaca.
Laxnuthin

Post by Laxnuthin »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 10:36 am
Laxnuthin wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:41 am
Good to know - I’m glad it is still around in some form. A buddy of mine and I spent many an hour playing vintage strats through all-original vintage amps. Amazing vibe to that place… staff was super cool, great space to jam. One of the places that made downtown magical for us. It was almost too good to be true for a small place like Ithaca.
Check out the inventory on the current website. Some amazing instruments and breathtaking prices! And, you’re just a trip to Nashville away!😀🎸🎸🎸🎸🎸🎸
enterprise

Post by enterprise »

I just tuned in to the Cornell-Penn baseball game in Ithaca and the weather looks awful [raining] although weather.com says temp is in the low 50's rather than below freezing so I guess that is something. It looks foggy, too. Anyone at the lax game to comment on conditions?
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

enterprise wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:39 am I just tuned in to the Cornell-Penn baseball game in Ithaca and the weather looks awful [raining] although weather.com says temp is in the low 50's rather than below freezing so I guess that is something. It looks foggy, too. Anyone at the lax game to comment on conditions?
Light drizzle, about 48 degrees, wind around 10 mph

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”