JUST the Stolen Documents/Mar-A-Lago/"Judge" Cannon Trial

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: The Politics of National Security

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

foreverlax wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:34 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:30 pm
ggait wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:50 pm The only thing I know about the Turks, the Kurds and Syria is that there's 76 stories of Trump Tower in Instanbul. And that after the Muslim ban, Erdogan threatened to take Trump's name off those towers. Seems like that has now been worked out to both sides satisfaction.

Conflicts? We don't care about no stinking conflicts.
We've been told, in no uncertain terms by some posters here, that conflicts don't matter.
Neither does asking a foreign leader to investigate your political opponent.
Using US Government aide as leverage for domestic political help is ok too.
“I wish you would!”
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

ggait wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:50 pm The only thing I know about the Turks, the Kurds and Syria is that there's 76 stories of Trump Tower in Instanbul. And that after the Muslim ban, Erdogan threatened to take Trump's name off those towers. Seems like that has now been worked out to both sides satisfaction.

Conflicts? We don't care about no stinking conflicts.
https://www.motherjones.com/politics/20 ... in-turkey/

Even Trump knows that those towers are a conflict of interest. He doesn't own them, and his branding is at the mercy of the administration there......
Last edited by 3rdPersonPlural on Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

ggait wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:45 pm Rudy! Kurds on line 2.

Something about Biden and Hillary's emails...
I missed that.
“I wish you would!”
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

“I generally support @POTUS on foreign policy & don't want our troops fighting other nations' wars, but a HUGE mistake to abandon Kurds. They've never asked us to do THEIR fighting-just give them tools to defend themselves. They have been faithful allies. We CANNOT abandon them.” Mike huckabee
“I don’t take responsibility at all.” —Donald J Trump
old salt

Post by old salt »

Trinity wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:52 pm https://www.newsweek.com/exclusive-offi ... ne-1463623

Official on Turkey call says Trump got rolled.
At least this leaker provided good details. Erdogan now owns the ISIS prisoners & their families.

If Turkey occupies just the buffer zone along the border, the SDF & Kurds will still occupy the rest of NE Syria, E of the Euphrates.
Turkey want's to control the buffer zone along their border from which the PKK can stage attacks & incursions into Turkey.
Militarily, it makes sense why Turkey wants this. If the PKK stops attacking Turkey, the Kurds will survive.
Trump's fed up with the EUros not taking back their ISIS citizens & families.
Our SOF will likely reposition to their FOB in W Iraq.
The Kurds will make a deal with Assad for some regional autonomy.
US hawks still hoping for Syria regime change are objecting.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:12 pm If the PKK stops attacking Turkey, the Kurds will survive..
What makes you think that's the case?

Why are we supporting a Turkish invasion into Syria?
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:18 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:12 pm If the PKK stops attacking Turkey, the Kurds will survive..
What makes you think that's the case?

Why are we supporting a Turkish invasion into Syria?
Because Turkey's our NATO ally. It's not an invasion. Turkey's already there. We've been jointly patrolling a border buffer zone with Turkish forces. We're now pulling out, while the Turks continue. The SDF will be ok if they work with the Turks or withdraw S out of the border zone & don't allow the PKK to stage attacks into Turkey.

I bet Tulsi approves of this decision.
https://nationalinterest.org/feature/tu ... rong-73526
Last edited by old salt on Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:27 pm Because Turkey's our NATO ally. It's not an invasion. Turkey's already there. We've been jointly patrolling a border buffer zone with Turkish forces. We're now pulling out, while the Turks continue. The SDF will be ok if they work with the Turks or withdraw S out of the border zone & don't allow the PKK to stage attacks into Turkey.
Then why are so many leaders telling us that the Turks will simply wipe out the Kurds? Why are they wrong, and you're right?

Thanks.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:31 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:27 pm Because Turkey's our NATO ally. It's not an invasion. Turkey's already there. We've been jointly patrolling a border buffer zone with Turkish forces. We're now pulling out, while the Turks continue. The SDF will be ok if they work with the Turks or withdraw S out of the border zone & don't allow the PKK to stage attacks into Turkey.
Then why are so many leaders telling us that the Turks will simply wipe out the Kurds? Why are they wrong, and you're right?
Don't start that sh!t. I'm not saying who's right or wrong. It's TBD.
I'm telling you what's happening & why. The Kurds need to stop their separatist movement in Turkey.
The SDF need to reconcile with the Turks. We're there to fight ISIS, not to protect the SDF from the Turks.
The US leaders objecting are the ones who've advocated that we occupy & rebuild NE Syria while continuing the civil war until Assad is deposed.
This should not surprise anyone. Trump's been signalling this since he first announced our pullout months ago.
Last edited by old salt on Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:34 pm Don't start that sh!t. I'm not saying who's right or wrong. It's TBD.
Whoa. Take it easy. I'm asking what I thought were polite questions. I even thanked you afterwards. If you don't want to answer, that's fine, but I agreed to tone things down, and I will honor that agreement with you.

You're asserting that the Turks won't attack the Kurds if the PKK doesn't stage attacks into Turkey. All I'm asking is: how do you know that?

If you don't know, that's cool. Was just asking because you seem sure that this isn't the disaster people like Nikki Haley are claiming.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:45 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:34 pm Don't start that sh!t. I'm not saying who's right or wrong. It's TBD.
Whoa. Take it easy. I'm asking what I thought were polite questions. I even thanked you afterwards. If you don't want to answer, that's fine, but I agreed to tone things down, and I will honor that agreement with you.

You're asserting that the Turks won't attack the Kurds if the PKK doesn't stage attacks into Turkey. All I'm asking is: how do you know that?

If you don't know, that's cool. Was just asking because you seem sure that this isn't the disaster people like Nikki Haley are claiming.
You added the thanks after I quoted you & stared drafting my reply,
I'm not asserting or predicting anything. I'm giving you my read on what's happening & why.
I'm not sure about anything in Syria, except that there are no good options.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Israeli media reporting Turkish planes have just attacked.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:52 pm You added the thanks after I quoted you & stared drafting my reply
I added thanks after I realized I forgot it, and edited the post before you responded. Honest.

And yes, it changed the tone....so my bad for not including it initially.
old salt wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:52 pm I'm not asserting or predicting anything. I'm giving you my read on what's happening & why.
I'm not sure about anything in Syria, except that there are no good options.
And I appreciate your opinion.

Recall that I'm happy that we're leaving Syria. What worries me is that Trump isn't telling Erdogan to stay out of Syria. Seems like a bad idea to let them in there without us around.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:57 pm Recall that I'm happy that we're leaving Syria. What worries me is that Trump isn't telling Erdogan to stay out of Syria. Seems like a bad idea to let them in there without us around.
For critics who say that Trump got rolled -- it should be obvious by now that we have little influence & leverage over Erdogan.
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

https://www.jpost.com/Breaking-News/Tur ... aws-604010

The next Kurds we see will be fighting for the Russians.
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:02 pm
a fan wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:57 pm Recall that I'm happy that we're leaving Syria. What worries me is that Trump isn't telling Erdogan to stay out of Syria. Seems like a bad idea to let them in there without us around.
For critics who say that Trump got rolled -- it should be obvious by now that we have little influence & leverage over Erdogan.

Our Russian apologists should be cheering... mirrored talking points..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: A bald Tucker Carlson
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

“It appears that it hasn't taken long for Turkey to react to @realDonaldTrump's green light & to start bombing Kurdish controlled areas. Israeli media is reporting Turkish warplanes carried out airstrikes tonight.” NBC News Bill Neely
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:07 pm

Our Russian apologists should be cheering... mirrored talking points.....
...& what in that RT analysis do you dispute ?

Erdogan sees Trump weak & under attack at home. He's seizing the opportunity to end the "limbo".
He knows the US can't protect our troops in Syria & won't risk conflict with Turkey & blow up NATO over the SDF(PKK).
What are we gonna do, withold Turkey's F-35s ?
Typical Lax Dad

old salt wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:23 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:07 pm

Our Russian apologists should be cheering... mirrored talking points.....
...& what in that RT analysis do you dispute ?

Erdogan sees Trump weak & under attack at home. He's seizing the opportunity to end the "limbo".
He knows the US can't protect our troops in Syria & won't risk conflict with Turkey & blow up NATO over the SDF(PKK).
What are we gonna do, withold Turkey's F-35s ?
That the USA military is no more than a door stop.... you disagree?
“I wish you would!”
Trinity

Post by Trinity »

Brett McGurk disagrees. Incoherence and betrayal on full display. Mission reversal without warning to US troops on the ground. The value of a US handshake is depreciating by the week.

Return to “POLITICS”