Does flag waving mean you are patriotic?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Does flag waving mean you are patriotic?

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:28 pm Didn't I answer that the exact same way you did the first time you asked me?
You may have. I will look. If you did, my mistake…..I believe you said “all things are deplorable”…I am not sure what that meant.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:43 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:19 pm I was just asking this: Are racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic people deplorable? Hillary Clinton believes so…I believe so. I was just asking what you thought…that’s all I was asking. We all know it costs her votes….

EDIT: I don’t know it if costs Hillary votes…I believe it brought more deplorables out to vote for Trump as a badge of honor.
Can't play both ends from the middle here, in one breath it's, "we all know it cost her votes", in the next it's "I don't know if it cost her votes".
Bringing more deplorables out to vote for Trump and costing her votes are really one in the same.
I changed my mind the more I thought about it. It seemed more likely there was a hard line in the sand and she wasn’t getting those votes. The more I thought about it, it’s more probable that it motivated more people to get out and vote. Not switch from voting for Hillary to Trump? I could be wrong…..
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 6:06 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:44 pm TLD spending the day doubling down his comment. Must be a Labor (Day) of love. ;) :lol:
Still going...:lol: :lol: Gotta love the determination. ;)
I was just looking for a straight answer. I give straight answers, so I kind of expect them back, but as you know, it doesn’t always happen.
“I wish you would!”
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I'm late to this this conversation, having managed to get in 18 between rain drops ;) ...I think what she meant is pretty clear, even if it wasn't to many people who it was either describing or those who simply didn't want to give her the benefit of the doubt. (plenty of folks in the latter category).

But do we not agree that TLD's list of traits that most of us would consider at least 'negative' constitute "deplorable" traits?

And do we not think that the odds were high of someone with one or more such traits were far more likely to support Trump in 2016 than Clinton?

Or do we find those traits just fine?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:53 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:12 am
DMac wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:47 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:32 pm
a fan wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:59 pm Rookie mistake by a veteran politician.
It didn’t help, but it was an accurate description of many Trump supporters. I am not saying the use of the word Deplorables didn’t matter. I am saying it was true. We remember Deplorables, in part, because it was true.

Yes, she could have chosen another descriptor but doesn’t change the fact that deplorables voted for Trump….some wearing suit and ties.
The fact that it was true about many Trump voters isn't really the issue, TLD. You just can not label all of the people who voted for Trump deplorables, and it was the "other than deplorables" that she pizzed off enough to not vote for her (they weren't really voting for Trump). Of course, there's a whole lot more to it than just the deplorables thing, it was the D's certainty that Hillary was the chosen one and that they were going to put the first woman in the Oval Office. Done deal, game over, Hillary's going to win it, this is our gal. Didn't much matter to them that there were a whole lot of people who didn't like her and were damn tired of seeing her and Slick, they had seen enough (Slick standing in front of the world and professing his deep and sincere love for his wife, the gal he so admires, was a real reminder of what a couple of phony phukks these two are too). The Ds phukked up putting her up there to begin with then she managed to phukk things even more and give people a reason to vote for the not your run of the mill politician guy. I'm still convinced that Bernie would have beat Trump but the Ds were hell bent on getting Hillary in there, that was the really big mistake.
She didn’t label “all of the people”. A lot of people didn’t like Hillary. Some were deplorable and some weren’t. Comey did her in more than the deplorable comment.
I think that's right, though I'd suggest it was a confluence of factors...sure, some people were turned off by the term "deplorables" assuming it was being applied to them, whether it was or not, and DMAC is correct that some people were turned off by the Clintons collectively, and some were simply reminded by Comey that she seemed slippery at best, and some of it was that she and her campaign took the win for granted and didn't campaign hard enough in some key areas...didn't tell people why to vote for her...

Given that campaign, and the reality that after 8 years with one party, there was a mood for change, I thought nearly any reasonable R could have won going away....against her.

I also think there was a backlash against the generally progressive social trend that had occurred in the US, and a bit of triumphalism about the inevitability of such...Black President, of course there will be a woman, gay marriage approved, of course we should use whatever pronouns we were being asked to do...put that in the context of an intensification of increasingly partisan right wing media magnified by social media and that backlash was stronger than certainly I understood...and it's grown much stronger still with Trump's ascendancy.

But back to "deplorables", she definitely didn't mean that anyone not voting for her was "deplorable"...but, like the MAGA label, that group of people being described definitely coalesced behind the candidate that told them what they wanted to hear, riled them up, fed their angers and resentments. A big part of the Trump support was that group, and those adjacent who did not understand how extreme their fellow travelers had become.
Confluence is right and arguable it goes back at least to what most people saw as her craven power need from putting up with Bill “the Ladies Man” after perpetual embarrassments to moving to WestChester, the highest cost county in the state conveniently between NYC and Fairfield Co, Ct far away from CNY and WNY but carpetbagging for a senate seat throwing on a Yankees hat and pretending to be a fan in offensively dishonest manner to overall arrogance to selling access to the White House for years. You toss in the deplorable comment around the same she’s exposed for her complete lack of regard for the laws, processes and systems of our government in a manner that suggests she believes she’s above the law and everyone else and it’s easy to see why the moderate Rs and maybe even some Dems threw the fire to that laughable fat buffoon real estate guy.

You also have a period 5ish years out of a horrendous financial crisis thats imo citing generations.

Then in 20 you get one of the most mediocre and out to lunch moderate Ds and he wins by a massive number of votes even with the Republican orgy effectively trying to cheat and steal the election.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:41 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:24 am Deplorable:

https://www.americanprogress.org/articl ... -politics/

But I guess it depends……part of Trump’s base:

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-hate ... ationalist

Hillary had it wrong.
"Which definition for deplore comes closest to the meaning of its Latin root word?
Deplore comes from Latin roots that mean "to bewail or lament."

So if you deplore something, you object to it because it brings you sorrow or grief."

I don't think people understood, or understand the way in which this descriptor ("deplorables") was intended. Of course, given the lack of education and general awareness, I'm not surprised.

And no, I don't think that Hillary and Slick Willie (I would describe them as Goldwater Republicans) were free from "sin". They were, and are, far better than tRump and Maga-ism. To paraphrase, "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the better."
Had to change “good” to better eh?

Problem is it just becomes a race to the bottom with lower highs and lower lows in standards. A negative vortex basically.
old salt

Post by old salt »

It doesn't matter. The Russians threw the election for Trump.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:55 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:44 pm TLD spending the day doubling down his comment. Must be a Labor (Day) of love. ;) :lol:
racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic….
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=F5bW8H-kNZs
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:26 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:06 pm Sure, all things deplorable.
Really? this is deplorable: racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic…. That’s your answer?

Those things are a bridge too far in 2022?
Is sexism really deplorable? :)

Btw, the Bridge is Over!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 4:19 pm https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.117 ... 0211004172

Using dismantling strategy, Trump implies that Muslims are uncivilized and if America and Europe have to survive, they need to build “walls” against them. Trump here proves himself as a surprisingly myopic person viewing Islam and Muslims solely in terms of terrorism and extremism. To win public support in America, Trump fails to take into account the multi-faceted realities of the immigrant and refugee crises and the real problems Muslims are facing across the world. The current study has concluded that xenophobic, Islamophobic discourse is deeply embedded in Trump’s mind, and it has become inescapable for him. Trump uses language to merge all the Muslims and Muslim refugees into a one-dimensional group of wrong-doers and criminals and erases their individual as well as collective experiences. Therefore, Trump’s status as the prominent rightwing anti-Islam and anti-Muslim political figure for the Republican Party in the United States has been comprehensively established as he had advocated Islamophobia extensively since the beginning of his political career. From the analysis, it could be ascertained that the use of discourse against Islam and Muslims by Trump is a strategy to build kinship with the Americans who harbor similar sentiments. This discriminatory discourse of Trump played a significant role in shaping his ideology of “Make America Great Again.”

Seems to have worked.
Partly a boomer mentality in general, so many I seem to know are greatly defined by the 70s and 80s. Everything about Trump is anachronistic.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:05 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:02 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 3:39 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:20 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 1:08 pm
DMac wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:58 am

Hillary had it wrong.
"Which definition for deplore comes closest to the meaning of its Latin root word?

So if you deplore something, you object to it because it brings you sorrow or grief."

I don't think people understood, or understand the way in which this descriptor ("deplorables") was intended. Of course, given the lack of education and general awareness, I'm not surprised.

And no, I don't think that Hillary and Slick Willie (I would describe them as Goldwater Republicans) were free from "sin". They were, and are, far better than tRump and Maga-ism. To paraphrase, "don't let the perfect be the enemy of the better."
I highly doubt that Her Holiness used the word to describe the sorrow and grief that these people brought her, she meant it as a derogatory word to describe Trump supporters. She had no more awareness of the meaning of the word than the people she was calling deplorables. Had she thought the definition would be received as what the definition actually is, she would have used different words such as low life scumbags which is exactly what she meant with deplorables.
Do you doubt it or do you know? Clearly stated that I highly doubt it.Or do you assume that because you didn't know the meaning, that she didn't? Yes, and I'd bet I'm right. She meant sorrow and pain, or low life scumbags? Methinks the latter. Or did you take offense at first blush and stay with that feeling as it offered some intellectual "payoff"? Took absolutely no offense nor did I change in color. Will say again, I very much doubt she would have used the word if she anymore knew the definition of it than did the vast majority of her audience. Always interesting to examine why we do and think what we do and what the reward is.

Fair, since I assume she did because I did.

Not sure about elections, but words sure have meaning(s). There's a good reason there are over 1M words in the English lexicon and many have gradations, or in some cases, opposite meaning (e.g. cleave). As it has been said of the UK and America, "two people separated by a common language."

Communication is a tricky business.
Further, it doesn't look to me as if your definition/what is meant by the word is right.
deplorable adjective
de·​plor·​able | \ di-ˈplȯr-ə-bəl \
Definition of deplorable
1: deserving censure or contempt
deplorable behavior
: WRETCHED
deplorable living conditions
2: LAMENTABLE
a deplorable death

Synonyms
cheap, contemptible, cruddy, despicable, dirty, grubby, lame, lousy, mean, nasty, paltry, pitiable, pitiful, ratty, scabby, scummy, scurvy, sneaking, sorry, wretched

Jus' sayin'.

Do you gave access to a quality dictionary? The OED?

If not, this one is pretty good.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/deplorable

You will not, however, deplorable is an adjective, not a noun, making

“Clinton’s use of deplorables is ambiguous: the word could be defined here as “people who are deplorable” or “qualities or characteristics that are deplorable.” Part of the ambiguity comes from the novelty of the usage, since deplorable is rarely used as a noun in this way. The Oxford English Dictionary does include a rare use of deplorable as a noun dating to the early 1800s, defined as “deplorable ills,” as in “rheumatism and other deplorables.” There's another example in the February 8, 1838 edition of the Commercial Advertiser (New York, NY): "You have already been informed of all the steps taken by the government to put a final period to these commotions, and I trust that the authors of the deplorables committed in New Mexico, will meet their just reward."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/news-tr ... s-20160910
Frankly, I don't find any of this to be the least bit important...and in the definition I quoted it does say adjective. The fact of the matter is you're what, one in ten thousand who doesn't receive the word as what the definition I quoted is? That's what matters, it pizzed a lot of people off whether they realized what the origin of the word is or not and if they did look it up they saw the definition I quoted and thought, yeah, that's what I thought she meant.
It obviously angered a lot of people…. But the question has been was there any truth to it? Nobody has denied that it costs her votes….
Question is whether that’s the appropriate approach to take not whether it’s true or politically expedient, IMO. I thought not, and I’m someone who’s says what everyone thinks aloud generally, because even I know that sometimes being right isn’t right and sometimes it doesn’t need to be said. To the extent that her losing made our country worse off it’s a pretty selfish thing to do and I think there’s a cohort of redeemable “deplorables” who are fundamentally good people but need education/understanding of underlying and structural considerations and to deploy a little more empathy (maybe your life isn’t perfect but consider the starving dude who never had a shot for a second) that she threw away like a complete, arrogant jerk who expected to be coronated even though she was eviscerated by a kid with no experience named Barry out of her backyard in 2008.

So I blame her ultimately for a lot of what’s gone down since. She didn’t need to pump up her kicks and try to do a blindfolded tomahawk dunk, nuts to forehead on her opponents before the completion was over. She’s in company with folks like Leon Lett and the fair weather Miami Heat fans trying to get back into their comeback win vs the Spurs.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:47 pm

Hillary had it wrong.

I highly doubt that Her Holiness used the word to describe the sorrow and grief that these people brought her, she meant it as a derogatory word to describe Trump supporters. She had no more awareness of the meaning of the word than the people she was calling deplorables. Had she thought the definition would be received as what the definition actually is, she would have used different words such as low life scumbags which is exactly what she meant with deplorables.
Do you doubt it or do you know? Clearly stated that I highly doubt it.Or do you assume that because you didn't know the meaning, that she didn't? Yes, and I'd bet I'm right. She meant sorrow and pain, or low life scumbags? Methinks the latter. Or did you take offense at first blush and stay with that feeling as it offered some intellectual "payoff"? Took absolutely no offense nor did I change in color. Will say again, I very much doubt she would have used the word if she anymore knew the definition of it than did the vast majority of her audience. Always interesting to examine why we do and think what we do and what the reward is.

Not sure about elections, but words sure have meaning(s). There's a good reason there are over 1M words in the English lexicon and many have gradations, or in some cases, opposite meaning (e.g. cleave). As it has been said of the UK and America, "two people separated by a common language."

Further, it doesn't look to me as if your definition/what is meant by the word is right.
deplorable adjective
Definition of deplorable
deplorable behavior
a deplorable death

Synonyms
cheap, contemptible, cruddy, despicable, dirty, grubby, lame, lousy, mean, nasty, paltry, pitiable, pitiful, ratty, scabby, scummy, scurvy, sneaking, sorry, wretched

Jus' sayin'.

“Clinton’s use of deplorables is ambiguous: the word could be defined here as “people who are deplorable” or “qualities or characteristics that are deplorable.” Part of the ambiguity comes from the novelty of the usage, since deplorable is rarely used as a noun in this way. The Oxford English Dictionary does include a rare use of deplorable as a noun dating to the early 1800s, defined as “deplorable ills,” as in “rheumatism and other deplorables.” There's another example in the February 8, 1838 edition of the Commercial Advertiser (New York, NY): "You have already been informed of all the steps taken by the government to put a final period to these commotions, and I trust that the authors of the deplorables committed in New Mexico, will meet their just reward."

Frankly, I don't find any of this to be the least bit important...and in the definition I quoted it does say adjective. The fact of the matter is you're what, one in ten thousand who doesn't receive the word as what the definition I quoted is? That's what matters, it pizzed a lot of people off whether they realized what the origin of the word is or not and if they did look it up they saw the definition I quoted and thought, yeah, that's what I thought she meant.
It obviously angered a lot of people…. But the question has been was there any truth to it? Nobody has denied that it costs her votes….
Question is whether that’s the appropriate approach to take not whether it’s true or politically expedient, IMO. I thought not, and I’m someone who’s says what everyone thinks aloud generally, because even I know that sometimes being right isn’t right and sometimes it doesn’t need to be said. To the extent that her losing made our country worse off it’s a pretty selfish thing to do and I think there’s a cohort of redeemable “deplorables” who are fundamentally good people but need education/understanding of underlying and structural considerations and to deploy a little more empathy (maybe your life isn’t perfect but consider the starving dude who never had a shot for a second) that she threw away like a complete, arrogant jerk who expected to be coronated even though she was eviscerated by a kid with no experience named Barry out of her backyard in 2008.

So I blame her ultimately for a lot of what’s gone down since. She didn’t need to pump up her kicks and try to do a blindfolded tomahawk dunk, nuts to forehead on her opponents before the completion was over. She’s in company with folks like Leon Lett and the fair weather Miami Heat fans trying to get back into their comeback win vs the Spurs.
Maybe she should have bit her tongue but those people she described were in fact deplorable. Did it cost her the election? I don’t believe so. Comey’s announcement and the theft of the DNC Campaign database by the Russian’s and Manafort’s sharing of Internal polling data with the Russians were bigger issues. Comey really killed her…. I do believe it motivated some folks to get out and vote but Hillary still attracted more votes.
“I wish you would!”
ggait

Post by ggait »

So I blame her ultimately for a lot of what’s gone down since. She didn’t need to pump up her kicks and try to do a blindfolded tomahawk dunk, nuts to forehead on her opponents before the completion was over.
Read below what she actually said. Doesn't sound like a touchdown dance to me. What Sean Hannity says she said is a different thing.

Seems like she was trying to connect to traditional Dem voters -- blue collar, working class. Basically the same folks Tim Ryan is courting in Ohio. Ryan, no surprise, does a better job of it than Hillary ever could.

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?” Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”

She said the other half of Trump’s supporters “feel that the government has let them down” and are “desperate for change.”

“Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well,” she said.
Last edited by ggait on Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:33 pm
Really? this is deplorable: racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamophobic…. That’s your answer?

Btw, the Bridge is Over!
Does sexism = entertaining?
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

ggait wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:05 pm
So I blame her ultimately for a lot of what’s gone down since. She didn’t need to pump up her kicks and try to do a blindfolded tomahawk dunk, nuts to forehead on her opponents before the completion was over.
Read below what she actually said. Doesn't sound like a touchdown dance to me.

Seems like she was trying to connect to traditional Dem voters -- blue collar, working class. Basically the same folks Tim Ryan is courting in Ohio. Ryan, no surprise, does a better job of it than Hillary ever could.

“You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?” Clinton said. “The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic—you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up.”

She said the other half of Trump’s supporters “feel that the government has let them down” and are “desperate for change.”

“Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well,” she said.
I believe her comments were distorted. What she actually emphasized was the bold… we have people defending racists, sexists, Islamaphobics and other freaks.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Btw, the Bridge is Over!
The more I think about it, the answer is no on a slow TV night!

“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:58 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:47 pm

Hillary had it wrong.

deplorable adjective
Definition of deplorable
deplorable behavior
a deplorable death

Synonyms

Jus' sayin'.

Maybe she should have bit her tongue but those people she described were in fact deplorable. Did it cost her the election? I don’t believe so. Comey’s announcement and the theft of the DNC Campaign database by the Russian’s and Manafort’s sharing of Internal polling data with the Russians were bigger issues. Comey really killed her…. I do believe it motivated some folks to get out and vote but Hillary still attracted more votes.
It was all of it at the margin for a weak candidate given every opportunity (didn’t the DNC help her vs Bernie is primary debates as well?) - Russia efforts, her server issue (which is still her fault for doing even if the timing was not great to pursue and disclose but nonetheless was her actions for reasons that almost surely weren’t pure of heart), the deplorable mix drop, etc, etc. each piece built up and moved the needle a bit in a few point competition. Maybe the FBI/server issue was a bigger driver, I don’t think the deplorable comment in isolation is a big deal but I’m making the case that it was the final piece of evidence in a portfolio built over 30yrs of her attitude and behavior. If Bernie or even Mayor Pete says it, it’s a story for a nanosecond and then of no consequence but for her it was different. And she did it to herself. The DNC propped them up for two decades as well so they need to shoulder some blame too.

It’s like all you have to do is run out the clock and you decide to sign Jay Cutler at halftime to go run Q4 air raid football while his girlfriend is being macked by Harry Styles is the line of sight.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:06 pm

Btw, the Bridge is Over!
Does sexism = entertaining?
Yes. Yes it does.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:14 pm

Btw, the Bridge is Over!

Find Baywatch movie in steaming for two of our girls!
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:36 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:14 pm

Btw, the Bridge is Over!

Find Baywatch movie in steaming for two of our girls!
I saw it last week!
“I wish you would!”

Return to “POLITICS”