Connecticut 2019

HS Boys Lacrosse
random observer

Re: Connecticut 2019

Post by random observer »

They played well, but Darien will not be pleased to go 0-2 in a front of a national audience. They really should have held on to win yesterday's game, and I imagine a split would have been palatable.

Brameier deserves a ton of credit for his offense. It doesn't matter who graduates -- that offense is always humming even in down years. At the same time, you have to wonder what is going on with their face-off coaching. Year after year, in every big game Darien's opponent turns in to the second coming of TD Ierlan. Collucci and Naso are two of the best around, and there's no shame in being outgunned, but there were zero adjustments whatsoever. Not only did they never go to secondary FOGO to throw out a different look, they never once sent a pole out to muck things up. It's undoubtedly going to be the same story at the X when they face Brunswick, so it would be nice if Darien would prepare a plan B for once.

It's hard enough playing teams like St. Anthony's and Manhasset, but it's almost impossible to win when the field is so tilted by the difference in time of possession. Fortunately they seem to have an endless supply of elite goalies to bridge that gap, but just imagine what this program could do if they could split at the X, let alone get an elite FOGO.
Rockhopper

Post by Rockhopper »

ctbagataway wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:46 pm There isn’t a team in the CIAC that will compete with Darien this year. The two close losses to good teams will only make them stronger, and I just don’t see any of the other likely candidates coming close to Darien’s mix of depth, offensive movement, and coaching. Vulnerability at the faceoff X so could get a repeat of a game like last year’s Ridgefield game I suppose. It is too bad for CT lacrosse, but the next level of teams (NC, Wilton, Glastonbury, Staples, Ridgefield) are at least a level below Darien, and that spread seems to be widening not getting narrower.
For any teams looking for something to post on the locker room bulletin board ... the comment above might just be what you’re looking for.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Rock--I completely agree with you and I hope that they do. It would be great for the state to have a competition at the top again. It has to take something to get other towns fired up enough to beat Darien. I'm pretty sure a random post in fanlax won't be that inspiration, but if it is, I'll take full credit. But who has that chance? NC? Prep?
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

ctbagataway wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:37 pm Rock--I completely agree with you and I hope that they do. It would be great for the state to have a competition at the top again. It has to take something to get other towns fired up enough to beat Darien. I'm pretty sure a random post in fanlax won't be that inspiration, but if it is, I'll take full credit. But who has that chance? NC? Prep?
NC still seems most logical to me - always plays them tight plus they have two of the best FO guys around.

or

Ridgefield scores the opening goal and passes around for the next hour or so.
914laxer

Post by 914laxer »

beastboyz99 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:14 pm Can't wait for the Darien vs Brunswick game this year! Been a long time coming... Always amazes me how Darien is able to reload with such impressive talent. Same goes with New Canaan, who I think will give Darien a run for their money this year! Don't sleep on the boys from NC
I agree the Brunswick game is great for CT high school lacrosse, but I think that it comes a few years too late. I was impressed by Darien as they definitely held their own to say the least, could make a case that they should have won Both games, however I think wick is on another level. Game should have a huge turnout though. On a separate note I have heard that NC youth lacrosse participation has taken a nose dive in recent years, and this might be the reason for loss of talent In recent years. Does anyone know more about this? Is this also happening in other towns outside of Darien. Certainly seems like CT Public lax has been declining in quality the last few years in comparison to other regions/teams in the area.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

914laxer wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 am
beastboyz99 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:14 pm Can't wait for the Darien vs Brunswick game this year! Been a long time coming... Always amazes me how Darien is able to reload with such impressive talent. Same goes with New Canaan, who I think will give Darien a run for their money this year! Don't sleep on the boys from NC
I agree the Brunswick game is great for CT high school lacrosse, but I think that it comes a few years too late. I was impressed by Darien as they definitely held their own to say the least, could make a case that they should have won Both games, however I think wick is on another level. Game should have a huge turnout though. On a separate note I have heard that NC youth lacrosse participation has taken a nose dive in recent years, and this might be the reason for loss of talent In recent years. Does anyone know more about this? Is this also happening in other towns outside of Darien. Certainly seems like CT Public lax has been declining in quality the last few years in comparison to other regions/teams in the area.
I would strongly disagree with your assessment of Connecticut public lacrosse declining in quality. My experience in watching high school lacrosse over the last few years, including many club games, is that New England lacrosse, and specifically Connecticut public school lacrosse, is being coached and played at the highest level. And, despite the growth of the game in places like Georgia, Texas and California, with much larger pools of potential players available, I can always spot a hotbead kid on any field: great vision and game sense, great passing and cutting, hard rides, and a stick that looks like it was built with hundreds of hours of wall ball.

And while you won't see the top D1 rosters replete with Connecticut players, it is interesting to me how often those Connecticut players are among the very best on the team. Kevin Lindley, Arden Cohen, Simon Mathias are three that come to mind this year, but the list is long: you can look it up. You also have the phenomenon of Connecticut kids often choosing to go to college to study and play lacrosse rather than play lacrosse and study - Pokorny to W&L and Swank to Tufts are two Connecticut seniors this year that are exemplary of that trend.

Having said that, I would concede several points:
1) The nature of a public high school lacrosse team anywhere is that there will be a handful of great players on each team, a handful of great athletes playing lacrosse, and some kids who struggle a little bit. This is especially true in Connecticut, where you have schools like Xavier, Notre Dame WH/Fairfield and Fairfield Prep poaching the best players in each town, not to mention 'Wick, etc. Think about how different Wilton's 2019 season might have been with Drake and Grandolfo on their team. When Darien plays St.A, when Guilford plays Fairfield Prep - you have one team with all stars taken from many towns, playing against a team assembled of kids who happen to live in the same town. In theory, Darien shouldn't even be able to stay close to a team like St.A - the fact that they do is a testament to the Darien program, and by extension Connecticut public school lacrosse.
2) In some instances Connecticut public school lacrosse has more recently been outshined by lacrosse in other hotbeds, like Long Island and Baltimore. However, again, you won't see a team of Connecticut kids ever get outclassed by a team of kids from anywhere else. Walk around some tournaments this summer and watch the teams from Connecticut - they are always competitive, the kids are skilled, play is crisp.

Connecticut lacrosse is just fine.
laxfan91

Post by laxfan91 »

Well said, JBFortunato.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

JBFortunato wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:13 pm
914laxer wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 am I would strongly disagree with your assessment of Connecticut public lacrosse declining in quality.

Nobody would argue that the state produces some excellent players. But having watched CT high school lacrosse for 20 years now, I can't remember a less competitive year in L (maybe too soon to crown Darien the champs but nobody seems close so far). And in the out of state competition, among the traditional powers (Darien, Wilton, Fairfield Prep, Ridgefield, and Greenwich), the only out of state wins we can celebrate are Darien over Yorktown and Ridgefield over Briarcliff and Duxbury. That's 3 wins out of 12 total games if you are counting. Connecticut club lacrosse might be just fine, I'm just wondering if there is something systemic or just an off year at the high school level.
Reggie 13

Post by Reggie 13 »

Simsbury has had a run of losing talented kids to Westy, AOF, Loomis etc.... this has definitely put a damper with the product on the field.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

ctbagataway wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:00 pm
914laxer wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:37 am I would strongly disagree with your assessment of Connecticut public lacrosse declining in quality.

Nobody would argue that the state produces some excellent players. But having watched CT high school lacrosse for 20 years now, I can't remember a less competitive year in L (maybe too soon to crown Darien the champs but nobody seems close so far). And in the out of state competition, among the traditional powers (Darien, Wilton, Fairfield Prep, Ridgefield, and Greenwich), the only out of state wins we can celebrate are Darien over Yorktown and Ridgefield over Briarcliff and Duxbury. That's 3 wins out of 12 total games if you are counting. Connecticut club lacrosse might be just fine, I'm just wondering if there is something systemic or just an off year at the high school level.
There were several years in the past 5 where Darien, Ridgefield, Wilton (somewhat less so), NC and Prep won probably 70-80% of their out of state games vs NY and MA. I agree that this is somewhat of a down year but I think it is really a sample size of 1, I don't think you can make any generalized conclusions from a single year. Interested to see how Ridgefield does vs John Jay
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Agreed, PCow. I would love to see a competitive FCIAC tournament this year, hope it happens.
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:52 pm
ctbagataway wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:00 pm

There were several years in the past 5 where Darien, Ridgefield, Wilton (somewhat less so), NC and Prep won probably 70-80% of their out of state games vs NY and MA. I agree that this is somewhat of a down year but I think it is really a sample size of 1, I don't think you can make any generalized conclusions from a single year. Interested to see how Ridgefield does vs John Jay
Assume you mean Y'Town? RF lost in OT to JJ
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

The nature of a public high school lacrosse team anywhere is that there will be a handful of great players on each team, a handful of great athletes playing lacrosse, and some kids who struggle.
Interesting comment.I assume you meant anywhere in Connecticut. Darien,New Canaan,Colsey,Wilton and Greenwich likely lose players to Xavier, Fairfield Prep and Notre Dame. And to,Deerfield, Salisbury and either or both Phillips's.

Long Island public High Schools lose a bunch of kids to St.Anthony's, Chaminade,Holy Trinity, St.Mary's,St Dominic's among others.Yet some of the schools that lose players to these august institutions flourish despite the talent drain.

Schools such as Manhasset,Smithown,Massapequa,West Islip,Garden City, CSH,Ward-Melviile,SWR and Northport among others,weather the "I'm moving to a private school" storm quite well.These' school usually have more than a "handful of great players and great athletes"(some are both),playing lacrosse.Kids that "struggle" more often than not,self-select themselves out and try another sport.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

wahoomurf wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:56 pm
The nature of a public high school lacrosse team anywhere is that there will be a handful of great players on each team, a handful of great athletes playing lacrosse, and some kids who struggle.
Interesting comment.I assume you meant anywhere in Connecticut. Darien,New Canaan,Colsey,Wilton and Greenwich likely lose players to Xavier, Fairfield Prep and Notre Dame. And to,Deerfield, Salisbury and either or both Phillips's.

Long Island public High Schools lose a bunch of kids to St.Anthony's, Chaminade,Holy Trinity, St.Mary's,St Dominic's among others.Yet some of the schools that lose players to these august institutions flourish despite the talent drain.

Schools such as Manhasset,Smithown,Massapequa,West Islip,Garden City, CSH,Ward-Melviile,SWR and Northport among others,weather the "I'm moving to a private school" storm quite well.These' school usually have more than a "handful of great players and great athletes"(some are both),playing lacrosse.Kids that "struggle" more often than not,self-select themselves out and try another sport.
No, I meant anywhere. Whether it is Manhasset or Greenwich, public schools - at a higher rate than any time before in my opinion - lose players to privates. What you have left is a group of kids on each team with a sometimes vast disparity in skill levels. The team that wins is the team that puts those players in the right spots on the field, plays with cohesiveness and gets the most out of their talent.

They don’t do that better on LI than CT, if that’s what you’re insinuating.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

JBFortunato wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:02 pm

No, I meant anywhere. Whether it is Manhasset or Greenwich, public schools - at a higher rate than any time before in my opinion - lose players to privates.

I disagree.In your OPINION there may be an increase in kids moving from CT Public to Private and Christian schools. It ain't happening on L.I. FACT indicates quite the opposite.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

JBFortunato wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:02 pm

No, I meant anywhere. Whether it is Manhasset or Greenwich, public schools - at a higher rate than any time before in my opinion - lose players to privates. What you have left is a group of kids on each team with a sometimes vast disparity in skill levels. The team that wins is the team that puts those players in the right spots on the field, plays with cohesiveness and gets the most out of their talent.

They don’t do that better on LI than CT, if that’s what you’re insinuating.
I'm not insinuating a loving thing.Your OPINION flies in the face of FACTS here on L.I.Our situation is quite the opposite of the one you're experiencing in CT.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Not sure it is happening more in CT than it used to. Teams have always lost a few players to privates, Greenwich always more than most, Darien and NC seem to lose the least. That still appears true to me now, at least in the FCIAC. Just because one Wilton player jumped ship doesn't mean teams are being decimated.
random observer

Post by random observer »

The Suffolk A schools all have way more kids than the CT publics. Not remotely a fair comparison (except for Greenwich, which has massive enrollment loses far more kids to privates than anyone else). It's a numbers game and they can weather losing a kid or two far more easily than schools with half their enrollment.

As for Manhasset and GC, that's a more even enrollment comparison. They get gouged as much or more than most CT schools and still maintain national relevance, which is a testament to how strong their youth programs are. But how quickly people forget that both programs have had "down" stretches recently relative to their peak, just as the FCIAC teams are experiencing right now: Ridgefield played GC from 2014-2016 and swept all three matchups.

As for CT, it's mostly just a down stretch. Losing kids to NEW-1 is far from a new phenomenon. I don't know where the doom and gloom about the NC youth program is coming from: they have been consistently beating Darien in the youth ranks for several years running, and have been challenging Greenwich and its sheer numbers for supremacy in CONNYs. The reason Darien beats them is not simply sheer talent or retaining more players (there are roughly two dozen Darien players on NEW-1 varsity rosters this spring, and I'd wager at least half are starters). Darien wins because they are the most well coached. It's not just when they get to Brameier -- it's a well refined system all the way up: as each year turns, Darien 8A teams that lose multiple games to surrounding towns become freshman teams that mow through all of their rivals. Just about the only thing the town hasn't cracked is producing a face-off pipeline.
jmct

Post by jmct »

Young Warrior wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:18 pm
pcowlax wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:52 pm
Assume you mean Y'Town? RF lost in OT to JJ

Ridgefield beat Yorktown 12-11 tonight.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

MHS and GC (they) get gouged as much or more than most CT schools[/quote]
NOPE.Give Cromwell,the GC coaches,Wizzer and Moran a call.The direct opposite of what you've posted is happening.
Last edited by wahoomurf on Wed May 01, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”