Ivy League 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:02 pm
Wheels wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:50 pm Curious about NIL in the Ivy League and hoping to hear perspectives from you all on this.

My belief is that Ivies could totally crush the NIL game in non-rev sports because of the amazing alumni networks across the schools. However, my sense is that the Ivy administrators have kept NIL at an arm's length. It's not that they'll say collectives can't be established as much as they have yet to actively encourage programs from having collectives set up.

What do you all hear among the respective programs you support?
NIL collectives are a sham. A friend has been the lead donor for a major hoops program. What the system has evolved into isn’t what administrators and athletic staffs had in mind. I don’t believe you will see Ivy League schools looking to find a way to pay athletes to play for their schools. I may be wrong but I don’t see it. You need to be paid to play squash at Harvard? Really?
I agree.
I don't think they will stand in the way of their athletes making an honest buck, but they're not going to compete for athletes on that basis. Way off brand.

I haven't heard yet whether any particular schools, or collectively the league, has a position on this, but it seems to me they definitely don't want boosters to be paying athletes to play and they may have some additional constraints on such, but playing with a particular sponsor's equipment, getting paid to do a clinic, will be the typical sort of NIL play for Ivy athletes. Basically just reducing the uptight compliance demands, allowing kids to make a few extra bucks from their passion...and if someone is particularly entrepreneurial, say on line, no big deal...

But it's not going to be the way they recruit versus big schools and sports factories...
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:11 pm
Wheels wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 2:50 pm Curious about NIL in the Ivy League and hoping to hear perspectives from you all on this.

My belief is that Ivies could totally crush the NIL game in non-rev sports because of the amazing alumni networks across the schools. However, my sense is that the Ivy administrators have kept NIL at an arm's length. It's not that they'll say collectives can't be established as much as they have yet to actively encourage programs from having collectives set up.

NIL collectives are a sham. A friend has been the lead donor for a major hoops program. What the system has evolved into isn’t what administrators and athletic staffs had in mind. I don’t believe you will see Ivy League schools looking to find a way to pay athletes to play for their schools. I may be wrong but I don’t see it. You need to be paid to play squash at Harvard? Really?
I agree.
I don't think they will stand in the way of their athletes making an honest buck, but they're not going to compete for athletes on that basis. Way off brand.

I haven't heard yet whether any particular schools, or collectively the league, has a position on this, but it seems to me they definitely don't want boosters to be paying athletes to play and they may have some additional constraints on such, but playing with a particular sponsor's equipment, getting paid to do a clinic, will be the typical sort of NIL play for Ivy athletes. Basically just reducing the uptight compliance demands, allowing kids to make a few extra bucks from their passion...and if someone is particularly entrepreneurial, say on line, no big deal...

But it's not going to be the way they recruit versus big schools and sports factories...
Guys are being paid six figures to greet people at golf tournaments and fund raising events for instance.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i could very easily see a coach or 2 giving it a run to start. they have conversations about supporting the program with alums.

lacrosse coaches there are notoriously underpaid generally, but if that's taken care of and some folks have $$ burning a hole in their pocket, absolutely that could be taken up as an arrow in the quiver. not talking about big annual $$ for anyone, and maybe more likely to be spread evenly if they're smart.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:38 pm

i could very easily see a coach or 2 giving it a run to start. they have conversations about supporting the program with alums.

lacrosse coaches there are notoriously underpaid generally, but if that's taken care of and some folks have $$ burning a hole in their pocket, absolutely that could be taken up as an arrow in the quiver. not talking about big annual $$ for anyone, and maybe more likely to be spread evenly if they're smart.
I am biased. If I am “paying” athletes, they can pay tuition and room and board if they elect to live on campus. I heard from a very reliable source that Jay Wright didn’t want to be bothered with portal and NIL stuff.
“I wish you would!”
molo

Post by molo »

Lax coaches underpaid?
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

molo wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:07 pm Lax coaches underpaid?
As with anything, varies by institution, and the trend to endowed coaching 'chairs' will be a bump for head coaches. And what seems like a generous wage at Harvard comes with the asterisk of paying Boston metroplex prices, compared to Hanover or Ithaca (and even college towns will be more expensive than their 'hinterlands'.)

I believe assistant coach pay at America's Finest Educational Institutions (tm) is reputed to be stingy *cough Brown cough*, but unlike public institutions the data isn't public knowledge*.

*Ever watch those "How Europe and America are Different" videos? One thing I remember is how Europeans are much more open to talk about their incomes & financial situations; Americans consider this very personal info and are shocked if talk turns to those questions.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

molo wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:07 pm Lax coaches underpaid?
It’s unlikely that any Ivy assistants are making six figures.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:05 pm

I am biased. If I am “paying” athletes, they can pay tuition and room and board if they elect to live on campus. I heard from a very reliable source that Jay Wright didn’t want to be bothered with portal and NIL stuff.
not what administrators and athletic staff had in mind? i'm pretty sure that's how we got here in the first place.

sounds like jay wright wouldn't want to play for jay wright. what was he raking?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:30 am

not what administrators and athletic staff had in mind? i'm pretty sure that's how we got here in the first place.

sounds like jay wright wouldn't want to play for jay wright. what was he raking?
I believe it’s more the “how”… and the transfer portal is more problematic for him. He follows a developmental model. Players not promised a starting spot as a sophomore are bailing (all over college) Anyway, NIL wasn’t supposed to be a recruiting inducement but it is. I don’t like the system. I would rather see the pie split. Not folks like my friend with deep pockets and a passion for hoops willing to pay up to have a good team to cheer for. Not everyone has those guys.

As for Jay, he got paid like that when he was a volunteer coach?
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:10 am

I believe it’s more the “how”… and the transfer portal is more problematic for him. He follows a developmental model. Players not promised a starting spot as a sophomore are bailing (all over college) Anyway, NIL wasn’t supposed to be a recruiting inducement but it is. I don’t like the system. I would rather see the pie split. Not folks like my friend with deep pockets and a passion for hoops willing to pay up to have a good team to cheer for. Not everyone has those guys.

what makes you think it wasn't supposed to be a recruiting inducement? what isn't a recruiting inducement?

t bennett tries to develop guys, too. he's still around for now. new environment. i guess i just don't understand why many (not just yourself) want to put all these guardrails on young athletes. why does noone else in this ecosystem have to have these guardrails... except them? does the university of rochester coach make what jay made? could jay move jobs as he pleased? yes. yes, he could.

i just don't get it. none of the inequities or imbalance of college sports was the athletes' fault. but yet we want them to pay the price.

don't have any idea how to reply to volunteer coach, if he ever was one. is that a parallel i don't get?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:40 pm

what makes you think it wasn't supposed to be a recruiting inducement? what isn't a recruiting inducement?

t bennett tries to develop guys, too. he's still around for now. new environment. i guess i just don't understand why many (not just yourself) want to put all these guardrails on young athletes. why does noone else in this ecosystem have to have these guardrails... except them? does the university of rochester coach make what jay made? could jay move jobs as he pleased? yes. yes, he could.

i just don't get it. none of the inequities or imbalance of college sports was the athletes' fault. but yet we want them to pay the price.

don't have any idea how to reply to volunteer coach, if he ever was one. is that a parallel i don't get?
I would like to see the athletes get a piece of the pie and it be done in an equitable manner…..equitable does not mean everyone is paid the same…. Nobody is forced to be a student athlete. Plenty of pro alternatives. Football should fund its own farm system like other sports.

Maybe an NIL cap and a clawback…..show me a head college coach that has moved to 4 schools in 4 years….or 3 schools in 4 years…. Or 2 schools in 4 years….. I don’t like the randomness of the NIL.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:54 pm

I would like to see the athletes get a piece of the pie and it be done in an equitable manner…..equitable does not mean everyone is paid the same…. Nobody is forced to be a student athlete. Plenty of pro alternatives. Football should fund its own farm system like other sports.

Maybe an NIL cap and a clawback.
when all the ad's and coaches sign up to do the same is when you'll see that. tosu brings in a quarter bill. not gonna happen. big boys already aren't crazy about the $$ they have to split with the rest of nc$$.

any moves that have been seen to impinge on rights has been laughed out of the courtroom for years now. short of hoodwinking football players in a cba, you are writing a script that won't get picked up.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:19 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:54 pm

Maybe an NIL cap and a clawback.
when all the ad's and coaches sign up to do the same is when you'll see that. tosu brings in a quarter bill. not gonna happen. big boys already aren't crazy about the $$ they have to split with the rest of nc$$.

any moves that have been seen to impinge on rights has been laughed out of the courtroom for years now. short of hoodwinking football players in a cba, you are writing a script that won't get picked up.
You don’t understand what I am getting at. Where have I said athletes should not be compensated? I believe they should get a piece of the pie and it should be equitable…..I would let all the air out of the balloon if I could.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i understand all that you've laid out so far in broad strokes. salary caps, clawbacks, nil caps.

in those instances, the *haves* are going to have to be willing to give to the *have nots*.

"penn state forfeits $100 million in 2025 so that other schools throughout college sports get more money".
i don't see that scenario pending at all.

only chance is a cba, and for many reasons don't see that happening, either.

inside 7-10 years maybe a breakaway division. then everyone outside of that gets poorer. not sure what that's solving.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:47 pm i understand all that you've laid out so far in broad strokes. salary caps, clawbacks, nil caps.

in those instances, the *haves* are going to have to be willing to give to the *have nots*.

"penn state forfeits $100 million in 2025 so that other schools throughout college sports get more money".

inside 7-10 years maybe a breakaway division. then everyone outside of that gets poorer. not sure what that's solving.
I want the players to get a share of the pie and it to be equitable.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:03 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:47 pm i understand all that you've laid out so far in broad strokes. salary caps, clawbacks, nil caps.

if you've read some of the opinions on alston, i'd be interested in how you think that might happen vis a vis clawing back nil $. and skippping over to the b1g thread, where every fresh billion for conference sports is cheered full throat. that's their base.

as far as ivy engagement, i can def see a counterargument where they look at their endowment(s) and say "we don't need all these guys trying to head to the pll".
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:03 pm

if you've read some of the opinions on alston, i'd be interested in how you think that might happen vis a vis clawing back nil $. and skippping over to the b1g thread, where every fresh billion for conference sports is cheered full throat. that's their base.

as far as ivy engagement, i can def see a counterargument where they look at their endowment(s) and say "we don't need all these guys trying to head to the pll".
Being involved with two professional sports league wide facilities, I would like to see something more equitable for all parties responsible for generating revenue for the sport. Did Alston stipulate a specific mechanism by which players are compensated? Larry the car dealer has nexus outside of being a “fan”? If CJ Stroud can’t drive a Bentley to the frat party, I won’t shed a tear.

https://frontofficesports.com/survey-co ... -imminent/

Not too crazy…..kids don’t have to play a college sport. Some order will be put in place. Something equitable… Clay the cattle rancher may not be party to it.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:54 pm show me a head college coach that has moved to 4 schools in 4 years….or 3 schools in 4 years…. Or 2 schools in 4 years….. I don’t like the like the randomness of the NIL.
sorry, didn't see this prior. if you see this as an equivalence, we don't agree!

as far as intra-university and intra-conference revenue sharing, for sure that'll happen. and not because schools and their "employees" want to see the $$ go. i think larry the car dealer will stay in business. if coaches believe tying players down solves their problems? we'll see.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:54 pm show me a head college coach that has moved to 4 schools in 4 years….or 3 schools in 4 years…. Or 2 schools in 4 years….. I don’t like the like the randomness of the NIL.
sorry, didn't see this prior. if you see this as an equivalence, we don't agree!

as far as intra-university and intra-conference revenue sharing, for sure that'll happen. and not because schools and their "employees" want to see the $$ go. i think larry the car dealer will stay in business. if coaches believe tying players down solves their problems? we'll see.
I know of plenty of companies that limit who can pay an employee away from their “job”. Happens every day. I want athletes to get a piece of the pie and it to be equitable. I don’t know of many “anything goes” industries.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

who do you think jay signs with?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”