THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
flalax22

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by flalax22 »

Per Ron Daniels - The Machine Rolls On

Rising to the Challenge campaign. The excitement in the days leading up to this moment was palpable not simply because we met or exceeded nearly every goal we set but because we did so in single-minded service to our academic mission.

The numbers in this campaign are astounding: 1,600 volunteers; more than 878,000 individual gifts from 279,000 generous donors; $1.68 billion in new endowment funding, including 267 endowed professorships and 157 endowed undergraduate scholarships; $610 million in graduate and undergraduate student financial aid; and more than $2.8 billion in support of medical research and programs. In the end, we raised a total of $6.015 billion.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I would liked to have seen undergrad financial aid higher.

How much of the total was from MB?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

OCanada wrote:I would liked to have seen undergrad financial aid higher.

How much of the total was from MB?
What happened to Anaconda?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I have not seen her since that New Year’s Eve party years ago. Don’t know
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

OCanada wrote:I have not seen her since that New Year’s Eve party years ago. Don’t know
Cold, raw day. Jays ran away from Albany in the first scrimmage.

Hop players changed numbers. I know Epstein was 20 and Jones was 4. If anyone at the scrimmage could help me out with the rest, I would appreciate it.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

According to parents -

Marr 24
Smith 1
Concannon 51
Fox 9
Keough 99
Desimone 7
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Based on this photo: https://twitter.com/capdistrictlax/stat ... 68352?s=21
and the photos in here: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... rong/53172

Rapine - 39
Prouty - 32
Colwell - 26
Calnan - 17
Baskin - 3
Kuhn - 5
Williams - 29
O'Neill - 0
Pion - 2
Foley - 11

Others still hard to tell. Darby's number ends in a 6. Shilling might be 18? Shure 49?
Last edited by HopFan16 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

Hoponboard wrote:
OCanada wrote:I have not seen her since that New Year’s Eve party years ago. Don’t know
Cold, raw day. Jays ran away from Albany in the first scrimmage.

Hop players changed numbers. I know Epstein was 20 and Jones was 4. If anyone at the scrimmage could help me out with the rest, I would appreciate it.
My headline would have been Hopkins uglier it out. It was all Hopkins in the first quarter for sure. I don’t know if that was an Albany goal at the end of the quarter or not, but it was either 4-0 or 4-1 at the end of the first.

I thought Hopkins had 2-3 really nice ball movement goals but really nothing from attack and the Albany goalie let in a couple of soft ones IMO.

Albany was very tentative on offense and definitely credit to the Hopkins defense. Besides Tehoka two late injuries kept two other starters out of the game.

I amd after mid way brough the 2nd it was more or less a push with neither offense doing very much.

Good solid overall performance from Hopkins and Albany has quite a bit to work on with the offense and needs to get 3-4 key guys healthy.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

what did we learn about
-the faceoff situation
-the goalie situation
-replacements for shack/tinney
-other new guys that impressed?
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Albany scrimmage highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoJEPJU ... e=youtu.be

I didn't film the Vermont scrimmage.

Face offs look to be an area of strength. Prouty and the two Narewskis played well. Matt Narewski is a threat to score from the X.

Darby started at goal and played into the third quarter. Looked solid in goal and his clearing was excellent.

Epstein is adapting to the QB role rather quickly. Watch 3:22. Then watch his assist on a fast break at 4:16. Finally, Joey's dodge from behind the cage at 4:53.

Scoring for Hopkins:

Marr 3g
Epstein 2g, 2a
Fox 2g
Williams 1g, 1a
Smith 1g
Kuhn 1g
Shilling 1g
Degnon 1g
Matt Narewski 1g
Keogh 1a
Concannon 1a
Matt Hubler 1a
Last edited by Hoponboard on Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

Nice turnaround on the video and thanks for the score correction!
I still would say many of the early goals were soft ones.

Only point if I were a Hopkins fan where I would nitpick with you on is Epstein as the qb. The one assist was on a hung defender and the Albany guy ball watched big time and the other was on that fast break when Albany had two poles on the other side and turned it over, and I think the goal he scored was on a short stick. I can’t remember him aggressively going after a pole or if he had the opportunity to do so.

I don’t recall any real initiation from him, but the qb looks like a to be determined for Hopkins and a times 10 for Albany.
Not trying to be a you know what but I wouldn’t have walked away from that game thinking Epstein is the immediate heir apparent to Shack.

D, goalie, and wing play very solid as well as very good mid range shooters.

Thanks for making the trip up!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Thanks again HOB. Any notes on the Vermont scrimmage? I heard that was even more lopsided than the Albany game and that the Jays went deep into the bench.

The first Marr goal was a little soft but other than that I didn't see too many that the goalie definitely should have saved.

Epstein has such a spring in his step. Forry looks like he's had a good offseason and is carrying that over into the fall but it's going to be very difficult taking that kid off the field. Either way, good to have options. We could see guys on offense move around more than usual this year especially with the new rules.

Very nice hitch move by Degnon on the through pass from Epstein.

Hearing the FOGOs/wings had a good day is music to my ears. Danes aren't the same without Ierlan obviously but still nice to hear. Darby appears to be the clear favorite to start in goal.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Hoponboard wrote:Albany scrimmage highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoJEPJU ... e=youtu.be
Am I the only one who really enjoys watching lax played on natural grass? Definitely some promising-looking things for JHU, keeping in mind that the Albany that scrimmaged yesterday is a far cry from the Danes team that was ranked #1 for big chunks of last season. Big 10 should be really tough top-to-bottom in 2019, and I'll be rooting for the Jays to win it.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

I may be a bit naive but, why change numbers? Why green shirts?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Drcthru wrote:I may be a bit naive but, why change numbers? Why green shirts?
The green shirts are for the Headstrong foundation.
PMF1123

Post by PMF1123 »

Based on what I saw clearly Hopkins is still working through the Fogo situation as they have four people taking turns in that role. Goalie I think Giacalone, Gainey and Darby could be the starter. Gainey has performed well in net when given opportunity. Same with Giacalone. I think all the goalies have made the stops they are supposed to in preseason. A lot still to be decided before season opener at Fogo and goalie. Good to have strong competition at both of those important roles and watching the kids at both positions they were cheering each other on from sidelines yesterday. Epstein is clearly an excellent player but needs to not try to do it all himself and force the shots. He seemsI likely to be a starter. D-dense played physical which was good to see as they are a big group back there. Looking forward to seeing full schedule and for season opener.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Drcthru wrote:I may be a bit naive but, why change numbers? Why green shirts?
Hopkins seems to make a big deal out of this numbers changing thing.
As if you can't cthru it anyway, right Dr?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Pretty sure the only people who make a big deal out of it are in this thread. Other teams do it. Maryland did it in their scrimmage against Cornell this weekend. It's far from a Hopkins-only thing.

One other thing I noticed from HOB's highlights—Jones and Hubler both looked like they played well, but I have no idea who's behind them on the SSDM totem pole and we might be screwed if one of them gets hurt. Right now it doesn't seem like any of the freshmen middies or poles are being converted to SSDM like what they started doing with DiPietro last year. If I'm not mistaken, Zinn has played on the wing some this fall so maybe he ends up running both ways.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Who are we missing here?

HOB and I discussed this at the Alumni Game.

Ruffled Feathers
CC

Who else? I’m drawing a big blank.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Johnny
Bluejay 47
MB...Have not found there way here.

Good news: 37,000 video views and counting for Alumni and Albany scrimmages.
Last edited by Hoponboard on Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”