Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by HopFan16 »

Congrats to the women's team and Tucker for making the NCAA tournament in her final season. Guess wearing sweatpants pays off.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:41 pm Congrats to the women's team and Tucker for making the NCAA tournament in her final season. Guess wearing sweatpants pays off.
That’s terrific!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 9:41 pm Congrats to the women's team and Tucker for making the NCAA tournament in her final season. Guess wearing sweatpants pays off.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... sses/58376
1234 made the ncaa tournament some as seeds w/othella harrington u and rutgers having their best seasons ever and outscored us 78-40. 51, HF16, doc b and the "you're expecting too much too fast group" have explaining to do. Granted some of those transfers come from schools like lynchburg and hobart which are not in our academic cohort, but there's also a lot of talent on that list. 2 of our transfers were hurt and the other 2 didn't really do a lot. Given how bad this team was in 2020 and how bad the start was to last season, they should have worked the portal much harder. We had rivals who had better 2020/2021 campaigns and yet still added more. This offense needs to add swagger and shooting, goalie is a massive hole, defense is tougher to improve but lacked quality depth.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:48 am
1234 made the ncaa tournament some as seeds w/othella harrington u and rutgers having their best seasons ever and outscored us 78-40. 51, HF16, doc b and the "you're expecting too much too fast group" have explaining to do. Granted some of those transfers come from schools like lynchburg and hobart which are not in our academic cohort, but there's also a lot of talent on that list. 2 of our transfers were hurt and the other 2 didn't really do a lot. Given how bad this team was in 2020 and how bad the start was to last season, they should have worked the portal much harder. We had rivals who had better 2020/2021 campaigns and yet still added more. This offense needs to add swagger and shooting, goalie is a massive hole, defense is tougher to improve but lacked quality depth.
lol we're literally on that list you provided. considering that was coming off a coaching change and a 4-9 season, to get the 9th best transfer class directly refutes basically everything you've been saying for the past two months. this is one of the bigger self-owns i've seen on here
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:56 am
lol we're literally on that list you provided. considering that was coming off a coaching change and a 4-9 season, to get the 9th best transfer class directly refutes basically everything you've been saying for the past two months. this is one of the bigger self-owns i've seen on here
a d3 goalie/bff of the grad assistant, 2 lsms, and an attackmen/midfielder for a program that had struggled for 5 years. Not a sense of urgency. Rutgers has something like 12-14 transfers on their roster.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Drew Blanchard was Phi Beta Kappa and went to OSU for a specific program...

Knox, probably not getting in.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:24 pm

more established more talented rosters were more aggressive and it paid off. PM has 2 years of face to face interaction w/the current roster. It's time for a sense of urgency.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:34 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:24 pm

more established more talented rosters were more aggressive and it paid off. PM has 2 years of face to face interaction w/the current roster. It's time for a sense of urgency.
Blanchard could've started for many high end programs. Chose to be a backup, though he did take 108 draws and saved their bacon vs ND earlier which probably is what got them into the tournament. He would've stayed in Geneva if it was just a extra year of lacrosse and academics didnt' matter, we have two graduate programs as a liberal arts school and one is a brand new not even much in place 1yr "management" program.

Maybe not a fogo, but that's actually the type of situation Hop is best served utilizing the portal for this and next year I think. Kid who wants a specific program (Blanchards parents also both played lacrosse at Ohio Wesleyan so while hes from RI there's a OH connection as well) or geography and can carry an extra win here or there or otherwise bring veteran leadership and stability. My point on Huber from St Johns before though, was the difference is Blanchards last three years he was on teams that were 21-9, not like 6-25. He scored a goal off a draw in a competitve game vs Syracuse in 20, did some other things when it was needed to make a difference. Conversely note how Lilberg didn't move the needle at all for UMass in the CAA. I think you still want kids who either were on smaller program winning teams or in some meaningful games at some point in their career.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

the reality is our staff stood pat for 2 years, thought they could coach the guys they were left with plus a few middling role player transfers and get better results and that didn't happen. Meanwhile our rivals loaded for bear and here we are watching the tournament, again.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

It really is mind boggling to me that you cannot grasp the concept of recruiting and transferring being a two way street in addition to there being other hurdles of reality involving school admins or academic offerings of the school itself completely unrelated to the athletic department. Do you have a wire tap on PMs phone? How can you be so certain we didn't go after any of the difference makers you wanted and it just wasn't something the targeted player could or even wanted to do?

Hell the better conspiracy is that PM recruited the hell out of the portal and good ol' Ronny D got in the way because he didn't like the look of their grades or the boys weren't from a diverse enough background. We might as well entertain all of the crazy theories. ;)
Last edited by Ruffled_Feathers on Mon May 09, 2022 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

'06 - sometimes you are an idiot
I have no explaining to do - just because I don't and you seem completely incapable of understanding any explanation

This reminds me of the scene in A Few Good Men when Demi Moore's character makes a fool of herself by re-objecting by saying "I strenuously object" as if by adding the word "strenuously" the judge would change his mind. If only Milliman had worked the portal "harder" and been "more aggressive" we could have made the tournament. That is a statement lacking in coherent thought.
IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY - this is not a math problem that Professor Lambeau put on the chalkboard in the hallway and only if somebody thought about it and worked on it longer - problem solved
If you think that Milliman is in cahoots with Ron Daniels and is secretly trying to ruin the program so it can be taken D3 or whatever - I can't help you. I believe - without knowing the man - that he is being paid to try to be successful and he is also a competitive person. Therefore, I do not believe he is sitting on his couch playing Madden or NHL 22 with Junior. I believe he is probably doing the following things in the near future:
- Having end of season meetings with all players
- Paying special emphasis to the seniors - which ones does he want/need - and matching that up with where the individual players are in their lives
- Reviewing the portal - probably daily - or having someone do it - and mapping out potential condidates
- Dealing with any junior or underclassmen that may want to transfer
- Checking in with the incoming freshmen that will be showing up on campus in a little over 3 months
- Mapping out his summer duties with respect to coaching and the recruiting circuit
- Meeting with JGJR and JK to start planning for 22/23 including seniors/transfers in and/or out
- Contacting transfers that are of interest
These are not sequential

And again for the 100th time - if you think Milliman can snap his fingers and perform the Hopkins portal draft you are just plain wrong. Just be more aggressive Pete - work harder!!! Crock of you know what. Especially for grad students - the issues are significant - if you believe any of the oft cited issues for incoming recruits choosing schools other than Hopkins are real well there are more for transfers. If you are Milliman - or anyone - you need to also ask yourself the following questions:
- Is the transfer better than what I have already
- Do I have any money available to give him and what unpleasant things might I have to do to give him some money
- Can I offer him the education direction he wants - i.e. if he wants a masters in Egyptian archaeology - probably not going to find that in the Hopkins graduate course catalog
- What goal do I hope to achieve with the transfer - especially a one year rental - are you suppressing underclass talent and potentially losing someone that could play for you for 2-3 years vs what is gained in that one year - not saying it would not be worth it but you should reasonably evauate it. There are some of you out there that want the Harvard attackman AND Kelly AND Solomon from North Carolina - again last time I checked you can only play 3 attack at a time and if Degnon returns you already have 2 and while nothing is a given you might have something in Marquis and you have to find out if Charboneau can play. It's a matter of degrees - it does not appear that Hopkins is a good match for Dordevic in terms of his academic focus - but he is the type of player where you say - OK he's probably worth it for a year. Obviously, the same is true for Handley if he ever had to leave Penn before eligibility expired. Middies - because you need 8-9 of them - slightly different bar.
- What about team chemistry - my base - before any seniors leave or get informed their services are likely not required - is 57 people if everyone returned that could - including Maher. How many people do you want on this team?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:15 pm '06 - sometimes you are an idiot
I have no explaining to do - just because I don't and you seem completely incapable of understanding any explanation

This reminds me of the scene in A Few Good Men when Demi Moore's character makes a fool of herself by re-objecting by saying "I strenuously object" as if by adding the word "strenuously" the judge would change his mind. If only Milliman had worked the portal "harder" and been "more aggressive" we could have made the tournament. That is a statement lacking in coherent thought.
IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY - this is not a math problem that Professor Lambeau put on the chalkboard in the hallway and only if somebody thought about it and worked on it longer - problem solved
If you think that Milliman is in cahoots with Ron Daniels and is secretly trying to ruin the program so it can be taken D3 or whatever - I can't help you. I believe - without knowing the man - that he is being paid to try to be successful and he is also a competitive person. Therefore, I do not believe he is sitting on his couch playing Madden or NHL 22 with Junior. I believe he is probably doing the following things in the near future:
- Having end of season meetings with all players
- Paying special emphasis to the seniors - which ones does he want/need - and matching that up with where the individual players are in their lives
- Reviewing the portal - probably daily - or having someone do it - and mapping out potential condidates
- Dealing with any junior or underclassmen that may want to transfer
- Checking in with the incoming freshmen that will be showing up on campus in a little over 3 months
- Mapping out his summer duties with respect to coaching and the recruiting circuit
- Meeting with JGJR and JK to start planning for 22/23 including seniors/transfers in and/or out
- Contacting transfers that are of interest
These are not sequential

And again for the 100th time - if you think Milliman can snap his fingers and perform the Hopkins portal draft you are just plain wrong. Just be more aggressive Pete - work harder!!! Crock of you know what. Especially for grad students - the issues are significant - if you believe any of the oft cited issues for incoming recruits choosing schools other than Hopkins are real well there are more for transfers. If you are Milliman - or anyone - you need to also ask yourself the following questions:
- Is the transfer better than what I have already
- Do I have any money available to give him and what unpleasant things might I have to do to give him some money
- Can I offer him the education direction he wants - i.e. if he wants a masters in Egyptian archaeology - probably not going to find that in the Hopkins graduate course catalog
- What goal do I hope to achieve with the transfer - especially a one year rental - are you suppressing underclass talent and potentially losing someone that could play for you for 2-3 years vs what is gained in that one year - not saying it would not be worth it but you should reasonably evauate it. There are some of you out there that want the Harvard attackman AND Kelly AND Solomon from North Carolina - again last time I checked you can only play 3 attack at a time and if Degnon returns you already have 2 and while nothing is a given you might have something in Marquis and you have to find out if Charboneau can play. It's a matter of degrees - it does not appear that Hopkins is a good match for Dordevic in terms of his academic focus - but he is the type of player where you say - OK he's probably worth it for a year. Obviously, the same is true for Handley if he ever had to leave Penn before eligibility expired. Middies - because you need 8-9 of them - slightly different bar.
- What about team chemistry - my base - before any seniors leave or get informed their services are likely not required - is 57 people if everyone returned that could - including Maher. How many people do you want on this team?
which he did in 20/21.
netminder

Post by netminder »

JHU is $68k for under grad and $71k for graduate school. Can the potential transfer and his family afford Hopkins? Does the potential candidate have the grades to be successful? Will they be good for the locker room? Will accepting players hurt recruiting? Can they be successful in our style of play? I would think the state schools have an easier and more affordable path to accepting transfers. I have no doubt the PM has and will continue to work hard on the portal players.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

06, take the L on this one and move on to one of the other 3496737 things you complain about. I'm sure you can think of something.

51 - ironically, I took a really great intro archaeology class at JHU, was my first class in the renovated Gilman Hall, which, by the way, is now quite the building for those who haven't been inside this decade

I'd be surprised if we expressed much interest in the two UNC players. Unclear if they're any better than what we have.

If reports are true and Degnon is returning then that's a point in favor of the staff and their culture because he could probably name his school to transfer to if he wanted
Homer

Post by Homer »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:54 pm 51 - ironically, I took a really great intro archaeology class at JHU, was my first class in the renovated Gilman Hall, which, by the way, is now quite the building for those who haven't been inside this decade
Glad you mentioned that. I understood 51's point so I wasn't going to say anything, but I actually sort of missed it the first time around because Hopkins actually has a tremendous history in Near Eastern archaeology -- not just a graduate program but in some ways the graduate program* -- which I initially assumed 51 was making some kind of a reference to.

* And now as soon as I say that I get this ominous feeling that my sources on that are from a while back, probably their last Near Eastern archaeology championship was like around 2007, and everyone "in the building" has spent the last decade muttering about Daniels's plot to destroy them.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sorry didn't mean to insult any Hopkins professors and/or archaeology students - don't know why that popped into my head - should have used the ol line about underwater basket weaving
Homer

Post by Homer »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:31 pm Sorry didn't mean to insult any Hopkins professors and/or archaeology students - don't know why that popped into my head - should have used the ol line about underwater basket weaving
Oh, absolutely -- never thought it was a shot at anybody. I understood that's what you were getting at. It's just like if I made some kind of generic reference to underwater basket weaving in reference to, say, Notre Dame, and then it turned out they were randomly the world leader in that -- got their own facility with submersibles and everything.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:31 pm Sorry didn't mean to insult any Hopkins professors and/or archaeology students - don't know why that popped into my head - should have used the ol line about underwater basket weaving
epstein/angelus/degnon/grimes/peshko/mcdermott/bauer/chauvette/evans/raposo/dunn/mcmanus/szulak/lilly/jaronski/martin/smith is not a winning core for 2023 to build around especially on offense. HF16 has a magical incoming recruiting class along w/injuries as a reason for improvement, but that is still sadly the bones of next years team. the staff has an incredibly diverse set of backgrounds and contacts so you'd think they'd be able to unearth more guys that can come in and play.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 5:49 pm epstein/angelus/degnon/grimes/peshko/mcdermott/bauer/chauvette/evans/raposo/dunn/mcmanus/szulak/lilly/jaronski/martin/smith is not a winning core for 2023 to build around especially on offense. HF16 has a magical incoming recruiting class along w/injuries as a reason for improvement, but that is still sadly the bones of next years team. the staff has an incredibly diverse set of backgrounds and contacts so you'd think they'd be able to unearth more guys that can come in and play.
And who recruited every single one of those players except for Szuluk?
And if it's that easy to unearth these players - please tell me who they are and name them?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Our pal here says the staff needs to leverage their "diverse set of backgrounds and contacts" for transfers mere hours after he demeaned a D3 transfer as the "bff of the grad assistant"

This is one of countless examples of 06 complaining the staff is/isn't doing something to his liking and then complaining again when they do that very thing he wanted. This behavior dates back many years, to the prior coaching staff. Not sure if there's a textbook definition for it. Circular complaining?

Szuluk looks like a nice player. We don't know what Fernandez or Maher (if he comes back) can provide, hopefully something, we just haven't gotten the chance to see yet but who needs stuff like nuance and context. Kirson wasn't the 50%+ goalie we wanted but given the other guys couldn't beat him out it's probably a good thing they went out and got him because, yes, things could have been worse.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”