Maryland 2022

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Maryland 2022

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:24 am
Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:14 am The fear of another Lacrosse Royalty championship is palpable.

The flag trimmed whites are hungry for a 16th which will distance them from the pack for at least 75 years
Keep trolling bud, doubt you even last the weekend this time around. How about one solitary post that isn't trolling. Jesus.

Joe
That wasn’t even close to being a troll. A person has to be able to brag about their team with a little bravado or else what’s the fun of talking sports. His bragging is warranted after last night’s game. Very impressive win. They’re starting to look dangerous. I won’t be shocked if they add #16 this year.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:52 am
Essexfenwick wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:14 am The fear of another Lacrosse Royalty championship is palpable.

The flag trimmed whites are hungry for a 16th which will distance them from the pack for at least 75 years
Keep trolling bud, doubt you even last the weekend this time around. How about one solitary post that isn't trolling. Jesus.

Joe
That wasn’t even close to being a troll. A person has to be able to brag about their team with a little bravado or else what’s the fun of talking sports. His bragging is warranted after last night’s game. Very impressive win. They’re starting to look dangerous. I won’t be shocked if they add #16 this year.
It's not this post, ONW. The entirety of his posts are trolling. He just started doing it within the last few months. Some people are trying to have actual discussion's on these Women's Lacrosse Threads. There lies a big difference.

Joe
OuttaNowhereWregget

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:34 am

Joe
It's not this post, ONW. The entirety of his posts are trolling. He just started doing it within the last few months. Some people are trying to have actual discussion's on these Women's Lacrosse Threads. There lies a big difference.

Joe
I get that, but context counts. And what he wrote doesn’t prevent anyone from having a discussion. Don’t like what he, or anyone, writes?—go to the next post or topic. He posted on the Maryland 2022 board. If he posted what he wrote on the Northwestern board, then yes—the mildest of trolls. But even then—so what. Are we all so sensitive we can’t tolerate a little sports goading? Plus, Essexfenwick (or anyone, for that matter) sets himself up for a return goad if Maryland loses. It’s all in good fun as far as I’m concerned. When did we all become such snowflakes? Discussion is only one of the means of communicating when sports is the subject.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:27 am

Joe

Joe
I get that, but context counts. And what he wrote doesn’t prevent anyone from having a discussion. Don’t like what he, or anyone, writes?—go to the next post or topic. He posted on the Maryland 2022 board. If he posted what he wrote on the Northwestern board, then yes—the mildest of trolls. But even then—so what. Are we all so sensitive we can’t tolerate a little sports goading? Plus, Essexfenwick (or anyone, for that matter) sets himself up for a return goad if Maryland loses. It’s all in good fun as far as I’m concerned. When did we all become such snowflakes? Discussion is only one of the means of communicating when sports is the subject.
Agree with you 100%, your not in the politics threads much at all, I felt it was a continuation of his ways which got him a stay in the sin bin. As they say, that's why they play the game! All is good.

Joe
OuttaNowhereWregget

JoeMauer89 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:02 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:27 am

Joe

Joe
Agree with you 100%, your not in the politics threads much at all, I felt it was a continuation of his ways which got him a stay in the sin bin. As they say, that's why they play the game! All is good.

Joe
Indeed it is, Joe. Good to have you back after the hiatus.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Fantastic lacrosse royalty montage.

https://www.ncaa.com/video/lacrosse-wom ... s-lacrosse
Poursuivant

Post by Poursuivant »

I was at the Princeton game last night, and the Terps seemed sloppy at the start, something I also noted at the start of the St. Joseph’s game. Last night’s first half of the first quarter Terps won’t win many games. Good thing they figured it out.
This year’s Terps seem to play with a lot of grit on defense…with the yellow cards that go with it.
Aurora is a revelation. Hannah reminds me of Kelly McPartland when she dashes to the goal. Abby is another ball magnet like Lizzie Colson, and Emily Sterling can be a total wall in the cage like Megan Taylor. So, do the 2022 Terps have the parts to win another NC? I think yes, but unlike most of the past decade when they were top ranked, I think the 2022 Terps will be considered the dark horse come NCAA time, and that might just be a good thing for them. I’m all for living under the radar for this years group(not that we have much of a choice after the James Madison loss). Let UNC and NW deal with the pressure.
In a semi related note. Sherrerd Stadium is really nice with an amazing video scoreboard. I hate to say, but it leaves College Park looking a bit worn. How much do facilities affect recruiting?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Initially, this augury of Essexfenwick's regarding Maryland adding a 16th national championship this year to their already crowded trophy case after their dominating performance over Princeton didn’t seem farfetched. But then I looked at how many top tier teams the Terps have played so far this year and found they have yet to be tested against the upper crust, having played only JMU, to whom they lost convincingly; and Florida, who they dragged all over Weird Field. Still not found on their list of opponents played are #1 Carolina; #2 BC; #3 Northwestern; #4 Syracuse; #5 Stony Brook; #6 Loyola; #7 Duke or #9 Denver. All these teams have been top ten pretty much all season, and Maryland hasn’t played any of them yet. So—I wouldn’t put the Chelonian champagne on ice just yet there, Fenny. They still haven’t defeated anyone of real stature. #7 Florida earlier in the year? Meh. Florida is Florida—as inconsistent a team as there is in the NCAA. One minute looking talented and formidable, the next undisciplined and ordinary. The perennial Not-Ready-For-Prime-Time team.

Maryland gets another test in a smidgeda over a week vs archrival Northwestern (who I think Maryland beats this time around). Yet even a win over them won’t convince me just yet. Northwestern isn’t nearly as scary without the warrior Isabelle Rae Scane.

Anything is possible with Reese as coach of an admittedly talented ’22 edition of Terrapins, but there are still many giants to slay if number 16 is to be raised in College Park. Not this year is my prediction.

Date Time At Opponent Location Tournament Result

Feb 12 (Sat) 3:30 PM Away Saint Joseph's Philadelphia, PA W 20-6

Feb 18 (Fri) 5:00 PM Away Virginia Charlottesville, VA W 17-13

Feb 26 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home Florida College Park, MD (Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex) W 18-8

Mar 1 (Tue) 5:00 PM Home Delaware College Park, MD (Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex) W 15-2

Mar 5 (Sat) 1:00 PM Away William & Mary Williamsburg, VA W 19-7

Mar 13 (Sun) 1:00 PM Home Villanova College Park, MD (Jones-Hill House) W 19-7

Mar 20 (Sun) 12:00 PM Home Rutgers College Park, MD (Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex) W 16-6

Mar 23 (Wed) 7:00 PM Home Penn College Park, MD (Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex) W 15-11

Mar 26 (Sat) 12:00 PM Home James Madison College Park, MD (Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex) L 8-13

Mar 30 (Wed) 7:00 PM Away Georgetown Washington, DC W 15-3

Apr 2 (Sat) 12:00 PM Away Johns Hopkins Baltimore, MD W 17-6

Apr 7 (Thu) 6:30 PM Home Penn State College Park, MD (Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex) W 13-6

Apr 13 (Wed) 7:00 PM Away Princeton Princeton, NJ W 19-9

Apr 17 (Sun) 12:00 PM Away Ohio State Columbus, OH

Apr 23 (Sat) 11:30 AM Home Northwestern College Park, MD (Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex)

Apr 30 (Sat) 12:00 PM Away Michigan Ann Arbor, MI
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

^^ I think Reese did that on purpose. This was a rebuilding year and she didn’t know exactly how it would develop and didn’t want to take the chance of confidence getting killed early. A building year and hopefully peak at the end with minimal injuries. The foundation is in with next years top ranked recruiting class coming in and I’m sure more transfers. Plus last years (#2 recruit) and top national defensive recruit will be healed from injury along with Rhude the America East player of the year healed as well. This years schedule is a logical strategy.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:10 am ^^ I think Reese did that on purpose. This was a rebuilding year and she didn’t know exactly how it would develop and didn’t want to take the chance of confidence getting killed early. A building year and hopefully peak at the end with minimal injuries. The foundation is in with next years top ranked recruiting class coming in and I’m sure more transfers. Plus last years (#2 recruit) and top national defensive recruit will be healed from injury along with Rhude the America East player of the year healed as well. This years schedule is a logical strategy.
Essex,

Could be the case, but it's unlike Reese to back down from a challenge, whether her team can handle it or not. It's what make her such a successful coach, she does a great job of instilling this in her players.

Joe
OuttaNowhereWregget

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:39 am
Essexfenwick wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:10 am ^^ I think Reese did that on purpose. This was a rebuilding year and she didn’t know exactly how it would develop and didn’t want to take the chance of confidence getting killed early. A building year and hopefully peak at the end with minimal injuries. The foundation is in with next years top ranked recruiting class coming in and I’m sure more transfers. Plus last years (#2 recruit) and top national defensive recruit will be healed from injury along with Rhude the America East player of the year healed as well. This years schedule is a logical strategy.
Essex,

Could be the case, but it's unlike Reese to back down from a challenge, whether her team can handle it or not. It's what make her such a successful coach, she does a great job of instilling this in her players.

Joe
I’m intrigued. Why do you think this was the case, Joe?
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:42 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:39 am
Essex,

Joe
I’m intrigued. Why do you think this was the case, Joe?

From following MD in past years, they always challenged themselves, year in and year out. Even if the team was perceived to be younger or weaker than the prior year's version.

Joe
user1020

Post by user1020 »

I think what Maryland is missing this year is the typical 2-way middie that Maryland always has. They don’t have a Taylor Cumming, or Stuckenberg, or even a Jen Giles on the midfield. They have a strong attack with Cordingley and a good defense led by Bosco. Sterling has been coming alive in goal and is an asset this year rather than a weakness. They just don’t have that amazing middie to lead the team on both sides of the field. I love Grace Griffin as a player and she is very good, but they’re still missing that player.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

user1020 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:47 am I think what Maryland is missing this year is the typical 2-way middie that Maryland always has. They don’t have a Taylor Cumming, or Stuckenberg, or even a Jen Giles on the midfield. They have a strong attack with Cordingley and a good defense led by Bosco. Sterling has been coming alive in goal and is an asset this year rather than a weakness. They just don’t have that amazing middie to lead the team on both sides of the field. I love Grace Griffin as a player and she is very good, but they’re still missing that player.
+1
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:55 am
user1020 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:47 am I think what Maryland is missing this year is the typical 2-way middie that Maryland always has. They don’t have a Taylor Cumming, or Stuckenberg, or even a Jen Giles on the midfield. They have a strong attack with Cordingley and a good defense led by Bosco. Sterling has been coming alive in goal and is an asset this year rather than a weakness. They just don’t have that amazing middie to lead the team on both sides of the field. I love Grace Griffin as a player and she is very good, but they’re still missing that player.
+1
+1 and +Schwarzmann
user1020

Post by user1020 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:59 pm
Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:55 am
+1
+1 and +Schwarzmann
Exactly the list of their amazing midfielders could go on and on
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

Could this have anything to do with the unpredictability/upward trend of the B1G? Literally every single team in the conference besides NU was a question mark for me coming into the season. And while MD has panned out to be clearly better than these teams, even CR can't predict the future.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:08 am
Could this have anything to do with the unpredictability/upward trend of the B1G? Literally every single team in the conference besides NU was a question mark for me coming into the season. And while MD has panned out to be clearly better than these teams, even CR can't predict the future.

I really think it’s a intelligent attempt to maximize the end of year opportunity for this particular group. Build confidence improve as the season goes on..avoid injuries… hope the opponents beat each other up and maybe sustain injuries … the be there at your peak.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Maryland75 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:14 am Maryland I believe has shown that it is back in the mix. There has been talk about how they would fair when Northwestern face guarded Cordingly and that was answered yesterday. They have plenty of offensive weapons and their defense along with Sterling as gk was superb. I don’t know how far they’ll go in the tournament but they are a joy to watch.
Essexfenwick wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:48 am Terps are back.

They play a different type game than the others. They bait the defense into falling for a number of sneaky goals. They have a higher lacrosse IQ much like the men’s team. They are good at dodging but equally good at moving, picking and passing. They also have more speed than any other team. The swagger is back and the lower ranked they are… the more dangerous they are. They play happy and loose.
I have to say, I'm becoming a believer in this team and Reese's system. Plus when you have a goaltender like Sterling, if she continues to play like that, a team can go places. I don't know what the postseason will bring, but they sure look like they're putting it all together at just the right time. Not to say I want them to win, mind. But I have to respect what they're doing on the field. As I said in another place, if they played JMU this week they'd win fairly easily, regardless of the venue. What are opposing teams going to do now--FG Cordingley, Leubecker and May? As much as it pains me to say, I now consider them a legitimate threat to win it all in '22.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:23 pm
Maryland75 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:14 am Maryland I believe has shown that it is back in the mix. There has been talk about how they would fair when Northwestern face guarded Cordingly and that was answered yesterday. They have plenty of offensive weapons and their defense along with Sterling as gk was superb. I don’t know how far they’ll go in the tournament but they are a joy to watch.
Essexfenwick wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:48 am Terps are back.

They play a different type game than the others. They bait the defense into falling for a number of sneaky goals. They have a higher lacrosse IQ much like the men’s team. They are good at dodging but equally good at moving, picking and passing. They also have more speed than any other team. The swagger is back and the lower ranked they are… the more dangerous they are. They play happy and loose.
I have to say, I'm becoming a believer in this team and Reese's system. Plus when you have a goaltender like Sterling, if she continues to play like that, a team can go places. I don't know what the postseason will bring, but they sure look like they're putting it all together at just the right time. Not to say I want them to win, mind. But I have to respect what they're doing on the field. As I said in another place, if they played JMU this week they'd win fairly easily, regardless of the venue. What are opposing teams going to do now--FG Cordingley, Leubecker and May? As much as it pains me to say, I now consider them a legitimate threat to win it all in '22.
Fascinating - you loudly criticized the staff for "dodging" opponents. I said maybe they are positioning themselves for long term success with a transfer load heavy team who had taken their licks the last few years. Getting their heads handed to them early by the ACC wasn't going to build confidence or protect from injury. It's also way different for coaches to scout and prep a game plan based on film versus live play. Let the ACC eat their own and just worry about NU to get to the tournament in a good position.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”