Washington & Lee 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Tactful Lax

Re: Washington & Lee 2022

Post by Tactful Lax »

A fifth year senior who graduated on time from high school, is the same as someone who "reclassified" as a prep school student before graduation.
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Tactful Lax wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:31 am A fifth year senior who graduated on time from high school, is the same as someone who "reclassified" as a prep school student before graduation.
Slight difference is that previously that kid could only play 4 years of college lax. Now kids can play up to 6. Teams can field more experienced teams now than pre Covid
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Nice too ok see the offense get going. Let’s keep it rolling to next week
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

NJlxrdad wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:04 am
Tactful Lax wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:31 am A fifth year senior who graduated on time from high school, is the same as someone who "reclassified" as a prep school student before graduation.
Slight difference is that previously that kid could only play 4 years of college lax. Now kids can play up to 6. Teams can field more experienced teams now than pre Covid
Take a look at SJF with their list of preseason AA’s.They have 9 fifth year players many of which are on the preseason AA list. Makes you think how and why so many NESCAC schools are always in the top 20. They do get a lot of players who repeat that freshman year when entering some of the New England prep schools where they get so many of their players.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:29 am
Take a look at SJF with their list of preseason AA’s.They have 9 fifth year players many of which are on the preseason AA list. Makes you think how and why so many NESCAC schools are always in the top 20. They do get a lot of players who repeat that freshman year when entering some of the New England prep schools where they get so many of their players.
You are so fascinated by the age of players. The Nescac is good because so many of their players turn down D1 to go a high academic school. Look at Amherst - Moroney, Wolf, Finazzo, Solberg, Cassidy, McAfee, Killian, Crump, Park, Tranbarger, Minicus. All of them were all Americans, non of them repeat juniors or PGs. Tufts - Murphy, Wood, Bailey, Hessler, Samuelson, Connelly, Pollock, Bredahl, Waldbaum, Adam, Treiber, Shanks, Broekmate, Sax, Adrecayek (sp), Gill, Watkins, Leventhal, Schoenhut. All of these guys were all Americans and not one of them repeated junior years or pg’d. Wesleyan- Hawthorne, Jacoby, Bergman etc. the list goes on and on. The best teams in that league dont load up on repeat juniors and PGs because quite honestly the only kids that do that successfully for athletics are high level D1 kids. Most kids who take a PG year uncommitted or repeat their junior year without heavy D1 interest are doing so because they likely aren’t that good (yes I know there are exceptions)
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

I think we are seeing something different now than reclasses. Someone with anextra year (or 2) of college experience is different than the kid who re-classes. I think if you have a few kids who do an extra year it can make your team more competitive more quickly. It’s not going to last long as the extra Covid year effect will diminish but right now it is altering the landscape. It’s not wrong, it’s the system right now. I’m not sure the HS reclass has a big impact. I agree many of those who didn’t get a D1 offer wind up at NESCAC especially higher academic kids. This is a place W&L should look to capitalize on more. The kid who didn’t get an offer to an Ivy or other top academic school can be recruited to a high level D3.
Dehuntshigwa’es

InsiderRoll wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 7:27 am
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 5:29 am
You are so fascinated by the age of players. The Nescac is good because so many of their players turn down D1 to go a high academic school. Look at Amherst - Moroney, Wolf, Finazzo, Solberg, Cassidy, McAfee, Killian, Crump, Park, Tranbarger, Minicus. All of them were all Americans, non of them repeat juniors or PGs. Tufts - Murphy, Wood, Bailey, Hessler, Samuelson, Connelly, Pollock, Bredahl, Waldbaum, Adam, Treiber, Shanks, Broekmate, Sax, Adrecayek (sp), Gill, Watkins, Leventhal, Schoenhut. All of these guys were all Americans and not one of them repeated junior years or pg’d. Wesleyan- Hawthorne, Jacoby, Bergman etc. the list goes on and on. The best teams in that league dont load up on repeat juniors and PGs because quite honestly the only kids that do that successfully for athletics are high level D1 kids. Most kids who take a PG year uncommitted or repeat their junior year without heavy D1 interest are doing so because they likely aren’t that good (yes I know there are exceptions)

I’m intrigued by whatever can give a team an edge. The fifth year option is certainly an edge for some programs such as CNU and possibly SJF ( although I haven’t watched them play yet ) Winning is difficult and any advantage one can get to overcome an opponent I find interesting, transfer portal, creating a pipeline to your program from a great high school lax program, social media recruiting whatever it takes to get that 1 or 2 players that puts you over the top. Look at the Dickinson goalie this year, might he be the critical difference in 1,2 or 3 games this year, pulling in a great assistant coach, networking w alumni getting your players great jobs to sell program. I’m glad lax is back and always wonder what a program can do to get better. There are so many programs that are getting better out there it’s fun to watch York , CNU and maybe a SJF start to really press forward while trying to understand why a Gburg, WAC, Cortland and Middlebury, Roanoke drop
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:19 am I’m intrigued by whatever can give a team an edge. The fifth year option is certainly an edge for some programs such as CNU and possibly SJF ( although I haven’t watched them play yet ) Winning is difficult and any advantage one can get to overcome an opponent I find interesting, transfer portal, creating a pipeline to your program from a great high school lax program, social media recruiting whatever it takes to get that 1 or 2 players that puts you over the top. Look at the Dickinson goalie this year, might he be the critical difference in 1,2 or 3 games this year, pulling in a great assistant coach, networking w alumni getting your players great jobs to sell program. I’m glad lax is back and always wonder what a program can do to get better. There are so many programs that are getting better out there it’s fun to watch York , CNU and maybe a SJF start to really press forward while trying to understand why a Gburg, WAC, Cortland and Middlebury, Roanoke drop
I think you’d be hard pressed to find a college coach who would turn down the opportunity to retain some of his best talent for another year, instead of losing them to graduation. And that alone should tell you that the coaches by and large do see it as advantageous for their teams. Whether it translates into wins is situational.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Excited for this weekend. Home against a ranked opponent coached by former assistant...lots to be motivated about
Hoping to see continued improvement and a big W
still need to take better care of the ball,win at the x and continue to keep the opponenet to low quality shots.
Dehuntshigwa’es

It gets real easy here. Do you want to be a ranked team or not. Beat a 13th ranked Denison team and you should be in. Lose and I doubt they will get ranked this year. Denison shooters have been terrible to date hopefully they don’t wake up from their slumber. Face offs have been a strong point ( not sure about the competition) and goal play has been erratic.Fogo is a sr was 78-101 last year with 29 of those against Wabash. I’d hope W&L could do at least 50%. One advantage is Koch, he knows W&L extremely well and will try exploit what he knows about the O that struggles as it is. Love to see a stellar performance by the Gennies in all phases of the game and play smart with composure.
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Works both ways a bit too...Gennies should know what Koch likes to do on D
Dehuntshigwa’es

NJlxrdad wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:21 pm Works both ways a bit too...Gennies should know what Koch likes to do on D
True but scouting a base O or D is pretty straightforward. He knows each player intimately and what they like to do best.It’s more than an overall team scouting report. This breaks down what each player does well and not well, who you must slide to, who you can pressure w the ball if a certain D man you have and know can take advantage of a specific W&L player. If it’s an evenly matched affair I think the advantage swings to Denison with Koch’s knowledge of each individual player. We’ll see what happens. Not being a fan on this call but if I was putting money down I’d go with W&L in this contest, I think they are the better team
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:13 pm
NJlxrdad wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:21 pm Works both ways a bit too...Gennies should know what Koch likes to do on D
True but scouting a base O or D is pretty straightforward. He knows each player intimately and what they like to do best.It’s more than an overall team scouting report. This breaks down what each player does well and not well, who you must slide to, who you can pressure w the ball if a certain D man you have and know can take advantage of a specific W&L player. If it’s an evenly matched affair I think the advantage swings to Denison with Koch’s knowledge of each individual player. We’ll see what happens. Not being a fan on this call but if I was putting money down I’d go with W&L in this contest, I think they are the better team
Agree with you on this..and I do think if the O can continue to improve, take care of the ball and score this goes W&L's way. Turnovers have been a problem. The D has been solid after Catholic
goodshotswillgo

Post by goodshotswillgo »

Anticipation is through the roof for this match-up between former coaches. Can the head ball coach motivate his team and take on not just one, but two former assistants? Is he savy enough to do it? Do the coaches play a factor in this one or are the team's talent discrepancy such that the best players win? Is it handshake pre-game, hug post-game or vice versa? Gene strikes me as the sentimental type while Koch seems more stoic. Any Jim Schwartz Jim Harbaugh energy? I'm always curious how Gene prepares his team after a big win and ahead of a significant match up, especially during the February break. Consistency has always been an early-season question for the Generals.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Wow embarrassing 11-4 late 3rd . Play York tight and get steam rolled today. Can’t watch the same mistakes over and over again
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:27 pm Wow embarrassing 11-4 late 3rd . Play York tight and get steam rolled today. Can’t watch the same mistakes over and over again
I hope you don’t mean losing to Denison is embarrassing Dehunt - losing to Catholic, yeah maybe but not to Denison. And maybe after today we’re learning York isn’t the complete team we all assumed they’d be this year. Or probably more correctly, we’re learning there is Salisbury and RIT and a gap to everyone else?

Lots of lacrosse still to be played …. the season’s still in diapers. All these questions will sort themselves out in the next couple months.
NJlxrdad

Post by NJlxrdad »

Denison really moves the ball around fast. W&L continues to hesitate offensively. In the second half they were much better and it paid dividends
Dehuntshigwa’es

goodshotswillgo wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:35 pm Anticipation is through the roof for this match-up between former coaches. Can the head ball coach motivate his team and take on not just one, but two former assistants? Is he savy enough to do it? Do the coaches play a factor in this one or are the team's talent discrepancy such that the best players win? Is it handshake pre-game, hug post-game or vice versa? Gene strikes me as the sentimental type while Koch seems more stoic. Any Jim Schwartz Jim Harbaugh energy? I'm always curious how Gene prepares his team after a big win and ahead of a significant match up, especially during the February break. Consistency has always been an early-season question for the Generals.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Nosey Ned wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:52 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 2:27 pm Wow embarrassing 11-4 late 3rd . Play York tight and get steam rolled today. Can’t watch the same mistakes over and over again
I hope you don’t mean losing to Denison is embarrassing Dehunt - losing to Catholic, yeah maybe but not to Denison. And maybe after today we’re learning York isn’t the complete team we all assumed they’d be this year. Or probably more correctly, we’re learning there is Salisbury and RIT and a gap to everyone else?

Lots of lacrosse still to be played …. the season’s still in diapers. All these questions will sort themselves out in the next couple months.
11-4 late 3rd is embarrassing. So they got some soft goals towards the end, it was over. I had some hopes after York but 1-3 is pretty bad. As some coach once said “ you are what your record says you are. “ Not sure what a win over W&L means they are not now nor will they be a top 20 team this year. Looks like the Gulls, Tufts, RIT and CNU are the cream of the crop. Early maybe but W&L will most likely lose to CNU, Lynchburg and I’m not sure about HSC and hate to say it Roanoke. Denison dominated this game until the boys in Granville started thinking about the victory party tonight. Koch looks like he’s off to a good start
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:25 pm
Nosey Ned wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:52 pm

11-4 late 3rd is embarrassing. So they got some soft goals towards the end, it was over. I had some hopes after York but 1-3 is pretty bad. As some coach once said “ you are what your record says you are. “ Not sure what a win over W&L means they are not now nor will they be a top 20 team this year. Looks like the Gulls, Tufts, RIT and CNU are the cream of the crop. Early maybe but W&L will most likely lose to CNU, Lynchburg and I’m not sure about HSC and hate to say it Roanoke. Denison dominated this game until the boys in Granville started thinking about the victory party tonight. Koch looks like he’s off to a good start
Yeah I get it. If the shoe was on the other foot, I’d feel the same way.

As for the Generals prospects, I was schooled very early in my posting career that playing the comparative score game to handicap what if matchups, is a fool’s folly. I think we’re finding that this year, that’s more true than ever!

Lastly, conference games are a thing unto themselves. Have faith - I do. After all I’m a huge W&L fan now… need them to get a few quality wins! So good luck the rest of the way and we’ll see you in beautiful Granville next year!

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”