Denver@Duke 2/5@1500 hrs.

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Denver@Duke 2/5@1500 hrs.

Post by Wheels »

Duke's defense, goal play, and FOGO remain question marks. Same as last season. Really surprised Duke didn't try to push pace more.

Denver's ability to win one-on-one match ups remains a problem. Same as last season. Once Duke figured out how to not get a shorty switched on to Morrill, DU's offense ground to a halt. Completely unsurprised that DU slowed tempo down. The shot clock hasn't been kind to DU's offense.

The UNC-DU game will be quite elucidating. UNC's athletes and aggressive offensive and defensive style will force DU to make plays on islands. Morrill's smarts could make a big difference.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

7 pages is what a ff or cuse-hopkins match gets. Either the sport is surging or online interest is surging.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

We’re going to hear Sowers-to-O’Neill a lot this year. :shock: :o

Everyone talks about O’Neill’s size and athleticism, but the kid has good lacrosse IQ ... always in the right place at the right time.

Sowers looks like the Wayne Gretzky of lacrosse, especially when he’s operating in his “office” behind the net. Don’t think any team should let him operate unharassed back there.

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

You play a box & 2 vs Duke. Don’t play man on Sowers behind . Zone upfront stick on Sowers & face guard O’Neil. Let others people beat you. Dont run w Sowers behind the goal. All he wants to do is tie you up. Watching those IVY league coaches play man on him behind was a train wreck, and flat out stupid.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:38 am You play a box & 2 vs Duke. Don’t play man on Sowers behind . Zone upfront stick on Sowers & face guard O’Neil. Let others people beat you. Dont run w Sowers behind the goal. All he wants to do is tie you up. Watching those IVY league coaches play man on him behind was a train wreck, and flat out stupid.
Good thoughts ... but, not sure that would work.

Denver’s plan certainly didn’t, although 4 points is considerately better than 9. :?

DocBarrister :|
@DocBarrister
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I agree. 4 points is better than 9. And one of those points came from him kicking the ball into the net. Sowers did not dominate Denver. Tierney beat Denver with his boring-ass offense. They had plenty of chances to play fast break and unsettled offense with a big lead, but chose to milk the clock. Tierney took his foot off the pedal. As per usual.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:38 am You play a box & 2 vs Duke. Don’t play man on Sowers behind . Zone upfront stick on Sowers & face guard O’Neil. Let others people beat you. Dont run w Sowers behind the goal. All he wants to do is tie you up. Watching those IVY league coaches play man on him behind was a train wreck, and flat out stupid.
This is how we played it. We implemented this in HS, primarily vs Landon against Epstein. We had a very athletic pole cover him that was also tall and rangy.

D-1 in this clip was the X cover guy
D-2 - He was the dedicated slide guy...but ONLY if d-1 got beat just before GLE, otherwise he was a show slide in the skip lane to the backside
D-3 - On the edge/wing - of the best shooter
LSM -On the edge/wing - Same as D-3 but on their next best wing shooter
SSDM & M - played sides, to avoid chasing cutters and getting jammed up on picks.

I hate when I see a pole standing the crease behind the goalie when the D is hung up...it takes away another body in the playing field which inturn opens up the game even more for the offense.

This defense takes quite a bit of work to get everyone in synch buy not chasing or getting frustrated with all the movement....as with any Zone type formation, but it does work.

Just click "show the play" and you can watch the movement.
http://lacrosse.sharetheplay.com/?owner ... 7777807884
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

UNC will not swallow possessions like Denver. They have a heck of lineup. I see a high scoring game 15-13.
DMac

Post by DMac »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:05 pm 7 pages is what a ff or cuse-hopkins match gets. Either the sport is surging or online interest is surging.
Or lacrosse fans have been starving for a game for a long time and this is the first thing they've had to chew so they're just kind of savoring it.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:59 am
jhu06 wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:05 pm 7 pages is what a ff or cuse-hopkins match gets. Either the sport is surging or online interest is surging.
Or lacrosse fans have been starving for a game for a long time and this is the first thing they've had to chew so they're just kind of savoring it.
it's why I think the schools that did not play this year are going to be at a real loss. especially w/people not able to go to mlb spring training and on spring break and starved for content. Lacrosse has a huge opportunity right now to really pick up a lot of eyes.
bananas

Post by bananas »

Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:44 am UNC will not swallow possessions like Denver. They have a heck of lineup. I see a high scoring game 15-13.
AGREE on UNC offense though they did ease off with sizable lead vs Denver game last year . Doubt Breschi repeats that if good lead had.
Denver is a good team but view UNC as a very strong team capable of runs , unless Denver fogo simply dominates dont see game being as tight as line.

15-9 Tar Heels be my predict
TAV

Post by TAV »

bananas wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:49 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:44 am UNC will not swallow possessions like Denver. They have a heck of lineup. I see a high scoring game 15-13.
AGREE on UNC offense though they did ease off with sizable lead vs Denver game last year . Doubt Breschi repeats that if good lead had.
Denver is a good team but view UNC as a very strong team capable of runs , unless Denver fogo simply dominates dont see game being as tight as line.

15-9 Tar Heels be my predict
As a Heels fan, I’d nothing more than a blow out, but given that DU has a couple of games under its belt and this is UNC’s first game; it’ll probably be closer than I’d like, Heels by 2.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

What’s total goof ball. UNC & Duke use to meet at 4pm on a Weds. Really ? UNC is similar to Duke , can you trust the defense? The rest of the team is a monster.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”