New Pro Women's League

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: New Pro Women's League

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

glaxer24 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:04 pm
TNLAX wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:17 pm I am luke warm about the league. Watched bits and pieces of two of the games. Great athletes and loved watching them play....but....game looks a little to rough for me. I was afraid of these women getting injured. If I understand there is no "shouting space" violation and there didn't seem to be much restriction on physical contact. Not to sure how their bodies (or any athletes body) will react to games played with so little time to recover between games. We will see as the season progresses.

These young women have a choice to play this game, and if they are happy, I wish them well. I just hope there are no serious injuries.
Agree 100%!! I was really shocked with how dirty some of the players were this weekend and worried about injuries. Also, agree on the front of 3 games in 3 days… this is the highest level of wlax (besides international) and that can’t be easy on them at all
It's not a real league when you think about it. What about it is like a real league? I'm not challenging either of you, just throwing out some questions. They choose up sides with new captains each week. Apuzzo's on the blue team, no, the gold team, no, she's on Dempsey's team, oh, now she's on Warden's team, no that was last week. And then playoffs? There's a championship with a trophy? Nope and nope. It's just a strange multiple weeks exhibition slate. Sure, it's nice to see players do their thing but it isn't within any meaningful context and the novelty of it wears off quick. I can't get into it.
TNLAX wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:17 pm Will this style of play filter down to college, HS and youth leagues? Will they try to play like this even though the college rules and HS rules are much stricter? Will this be good for the game in the long run?
Good questions. I agree with Larry in this respect--I doubt there are many of the younger generation watching these exhibition scrimmages. They love playing the game, but I doubt they're interested in watching these games. As to the other questions--I sure hope this bastardization doesn't trickle down and influence or change the game. But somehow I have this feeling that change is coming and it won't be for the better, it will be for the masses and the wallet.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:53 am
LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:44 am Okay people...lots of nice looking dogs. Reminds me of the ones I used to sit for years and I miss dearly.

HOWEVER, this is a Lacrosse Forum. Let's get back to Lacrosse. :)
Any thoughts on these thoughts, Larry?

I'm sure when immensely talented UConn midfielder Sydney Watson and Syracuse attacker Emma Ward et al. graduate, if there is a pro league in existence, they'll be on the field scoring goals.

I started writing this and decided to skim the world wide web in search of other black women in women's lacrosse and found this:

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... e-recruits

Interesting to note most blue chip recruits are on the defensive side of the ball. Anyone ever seen Trinity McPherson play defense for Johns Hopkins? She's someone special to watch. She has a real knack for intercepting passes in the air. I'm not talking about getting her crosse in the way of a pass, knocking it down and scooping the GB, I'm talking about clean interceptions and "we're going the other way". Her sister Madison also plays for Hop and enters her junior year in '22.

Also, the sport is being introduced in really non-heretofore-hotbeds like Harlem, NY. There will soon be a harvest and it will be fascinating to see the talent emerging there.

First off...the sport is not being introduced in non-hotbeds like Harlem, NYC. HARLEM LACROSSE has been around since 2008 and they have branches in Boston and Baltimore.

I know about the McPherson Sisters and they are very solid players for Johns Hopkins. And yes, both Sydney Watson and Emma Ward are very good. HOWEVER, that does not address what I stated earlier about this league and about this sport. ONW, you have no ideal if HL will turn into a harvest or not. We shall see, but judging this sport by its history, don't get your hopes up.

BTW...Sydney Watson became the 1st Black Offensive player to make All-American since 1998.
OuttaNowhereWregget

LarryGamLax wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:08 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:53 am I'm sure when immensely talented UConn midfielder Sydney Watson and Syracuse attacker Emma Ward et al. graduate, if there is a pro league in existence, they'll be on the field scoring goals.

I started writing this and decided to skim the world wide web in search of other black women in women's lacrosse and found this:

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... e-recruits

Interesting to note most blue chip recruits are on the defensive side of the ball. Anyone ever seen Trinity McPherson play defense for Johns Hopkins? She's someone special to watch. She has a real knack for intercepting passes in the air. I'm not talking about getting her crosse in the way of a pass, knocking it down and scooping the GB, I'm talking about clean interceptions and "we're going the other way". Her sister Madison also plays for Hop and enters her junior year in '22.

Also, the sport is being introduced in really non-heretofore-hotbeds like Harlem, NY. There will soon be a harvest and it will be fascinating to see the talent emerging there.

First off...the sport is not being introduced in non-hotbeds like Harlem, NYC. HARLEM LACROSSE has been around since 2008 and they have branches in Boston and Baltimore.

"Introduced"--relatively speaking. I didn't assign a time frame.

I know about the McPherson Sisters and they are very solid players for Johns Hopkins. And yes, both Sydney Watson and Emma Ward are very good. HOWEVER, that does not address what I stated earlier about this league and about this sport. ONW, you have no ideal if HL will turn into a harvest or not. We shall see, but judging this sport by its history, don't get your hopes up.

After the great Jackie Robinson, there is always hope in the area of sports. He and thousands of black athletes have proved that over the decades.

By the way, what does ONW stand for?

BTW...Sydney Watson became the 1st Black Offensive player to make All-American since 1998.

Interesting...
DMac

Post by DMac »

Let me take a stab at the ONW question. OuttaNowhereWregget, three caps, the O, the N, and the W.
So my WAG is OuttaNowhereWregget.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:52 am Let me take a stab at the ONW question. OuttaNowhereWregget, three caps, the O, the N, and the W.
So my WAG is OuttaNowhereWregget.
I’m a numbskull. Thanks DMac
DMac

Re: My girls

Post by DMac »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:22 am
DMac wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:29 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:15 pm Image

Yellow is full American, Black is half American/half English
I'm bummed, Dr., all I get is the word image but I get no pictures when I click on. What do I have to do?
My guy was bummed too when I told him I was going to show him some pretty girls and then couldn't. ;)
Images showed up in your post....dont know why you cant see them.
OuttaNowhereWregget opened them on the Dogs Thread and Mr. Handsome said,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FspaP9hsjPc, pretty ladies!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Taylor Cummings on AU Pro Lacrosse League

Taylor's Takes: Inside the Athletes Unlimited Bubble With Taylor Cummings

After an almost two-year hiatus, women’s professional lacrosse is finally back.

Athletes Unlimited is the newest league to hit the scene for the women’s game, and players and fans alike are excited to see where this opportunity propels the sport. Teams are ever changing with new drafts every week. Fields are shorter, and numerous rule changes have been implemented to make the game faster and more fun to watch.

Stats equate to points, which then determine the next week’s set of captains. All in all, 56 of us make up the pool of professional players set to compete with and against each other during the five-week season, and in the end, one will be crowned a champion.
Over the course of our season, I’ll be writing weekly columns with my takes to give all of you an inside scoop of what it’s like to be an AU pro. Some stories will be about specific teams and players, others will contain general observations and hopefully all will provide insights into what life is like in the AU bubble.

So, without further adieu, let’s dive right on in to my thoughts on Week 1!

DRAFT STRATEGY IS KEY

Our first official draft of the season came on Tuesday after our morning scrimmages. The four captains were able to see everyone compete live before they set out to determine the first teams of the season later that evening. Each one had a different strategy for the draft, and it was exciting to see everything unfold as a player.

Some seemed to have a more offense-focused strategy — load up on talented attackers and save defender picks for later in the draft. Some focused on goalkeepers and centers first in an effort to have someone win the ball and save the ball, while others went for balance across the board from the get go. Each captain was able to find success with their teams this past weekend, so it’s hard to figure out which strategy is best for draft night this early on.

A MARATHON, NOT A SPRINT

Three games in three days is tough at any level, but especially here when we’re competing against the best each and every day. The back-to-back-to-back game scheduling means that players have to utilize every opportunity to rest, recover and refuel in order to perform our best the next day. The teams that play well on Sunday will most likely be the ones that can master the recovery end of things and can also apply small adjustments throughout the weekend.

SHORTER FIELDS = FASTER GOALS

With 80 yards between goal lines, the Athletes Unlimited field is significantly shorter than regulation collegiate fields. This allows for more transition, quicker goals off the draw and even offensive goalie involvement with assists and long clears.
We saw teams score right off the draw numerous times this weekend, with some coming 6-10 seconds after the whistle sounded (cough, cough — Dempsey’s beautiful goal off an amazing Kayla Treanor pass for Team Ohlmiller). Not to mention the very first goal in AU history, which came after Kayla Wood won the opening draw and fed Halle Majorana, who finished with a BTB.

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/pro/athl ... r-cummings
DMac

Post by DMac »

For the scatterbrained (like me), just a reminder/heads up, The League That Is Doomed has a couple of games scheduled for today. At 1700 hrs. Team Wood v Team Treanor on CBSSN, at 2000 hrs. Team Warden v Team Arsenault on FS1.
Dog's gone :( so not much chance I'll get distracted and miss these this time.
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 7:53 am For the scatterbrained (like me), just a reminder/heads up, The League That Is Doomed has a couple of games scheduled for today. At 1700 hrs. Team Wood v Team Treanor on CBSSN, at 2000 hrs. Team Warden v Team Arsenault on FS1.
Dog's gone :( so not much chance I'll get distracted and miss these this time.
What’s the line on the first game, D? You taking any action? 😉
DMac

Post by DMac »

I can't find the rosters for this week, don't know who has what.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:42 am I can't find the rosters for this week, don't know who has what.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -a-z/58242
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thanks, sc.
Okay, I've made my pick, Team Warden wins this round.
The wager is a beer, winners choice albeit a Stoner either way. :mrgreen:
ImageImage
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:48 am Thanks, sc.
Okay, I've made my pick, Team Warden wins this round.
The wager is a beer, winners choice albeit a Stoner either way. :mrgreen:
ImageImage
Arsenault. Gummies.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Go Team Treanor!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gummies in jeopardy, 5-2 Team Warden at the half.
Very fast paced, lot of up and down the field, fatigue's gonna play a role as it winds down.
Too many turnovers from both teams....she who cleans up her game wins.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

DMac wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:56 pm Gummies in jeopardy, 5-2 Team Warden at the half.
Very fast paced, lot of up and down the field, fatigue's gonna play a role as it winds down.
Too many turnovers from both teams....she who cleans up her game wins.
My problem with turnovers (& their points system) is that a lot of the times, players are fouled in the process but of course these fouls aren’t called and they lose 8 points per turnover
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes, I'm pretty much ignoring the individual and team points and watching blind to that.
Gummies not in as precarious a spot, 6-6 end of 3.
Warden looks like they're trying to shovel eel with a pitchfork on GBs.
Missed a bunch many of which were very gettable and should have been had.
Difference in the game, too many possessions for Arsenault.

Arsenault 8-7, final.
Two 1 goal games.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

DMac wrote: Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:30 pm Yes, I'm pretty much ignoring the individual and team points and watching blind to that.
Gummies not in as precarious a spot, 6-6 end of 3.
Warden looks like they're trying to shovel eel with a pitchfork on GBs.
Missed a bunch many of which were very gettable and should have been had.
Difference in the game, too many possessions for Arsenault.

Arsenault 8-7, final.
Two 1 goal games.
Warden’s goalie had a tough game . And why you put your slowest defender of KO? SMH
DMac

Post by DMac »

She sure did and it was very costly. Have never seen a Hill with poor stick stills, she couldn't get rid of the ball when any kind of pressure was put on her (this would have altered my pick had I known all this). GK change needed to be made but I don't know if they're swapping GKs per game and leaving them in there for the full sixty. Team Warden fell apart in the second half, didn't operate nearly as efficiently and smoothly as they did in the first half while Team Arsenault cleaned their act up and put it all together. Pace of the game slowed in the second half, don't know how these gals are going to play back to back to back days....it's pretty rough out there on the field too.
Learned something yesterday, never knew this.
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/07/ ... uit-model/
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

DMac wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:52 am She sure did and it was very costly. Have never seen a Hill with poor stick stills, she couldn't get rid of the ball when any kind of pressure was put on her (this would have altered my pick had I known all this). GK change needed to be made but I don't know if they're swapping GKs per game and leaving them in there for the full sixty. Team Warden fell apart in the second half, didn't operate nearly as efficiently and smoothly as they did in the first half while Team Arsenault cleaned their act up and put it all together. Pace of the game slowed in the second half, don't know how these gals are going to play back to back to back days....it's pretty rough out there on the field too.
Learned something yesterday, never knew this.
https://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2021/07/ ... uit-model/
I can’t believe how rough the play is. The Refs are getting paid to walk up and down a shortened field and make very few calls. Good gig for them. I would be very suprised if no one gets seriously hurt by the time the league concludes . Mcpartland and Appuzzo took some serious swipes last night . To name a few instances .

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”