Atlantic Article

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hail to the Victors

Re: Atlantic Article

Post by Hail to the Victors »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:14 am Not her first rodeo ride with these issues. Google is your friend. What exactly does it take to be deemed unemployable?
You mean, at the Atlantic?
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Did I miss this, or did Coach Tiffany’s quotes get retracted? Or does he still stand by his quoted remarks?
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

old salt wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:14 pm .:lol:. ....the bastard fictional son. These liars can't even agree on who made him up.

The claim of a backyard Olympic size hockey rink made me suspicious.
Most college rinks aren't even that big. They're 15 ft wider than NHL rinks.
Not that hard to fact check. Give us the address & well google map sat check it.
Jeffrey Goldberg has made the Atlantic a joke.
yeah, no kidding, esp. since if you want your kid to play hockey in the ECAC at an IVY or at Michigan (or the USHL for that matter), those schools have NHL-sized rinks. Having played in both sized rinks, a big, big difference.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Unknown Participant wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:12 pm
old salt wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:14 pm .:lol:. ....the bastard fictional son. These liars can't even agree on who made him up.

The claim of a backyard Olympic size hockey rink made me suspicious.
Most college rinks aren't even that big. They're 15 ft wider than NHL rinks.
Not that hard to fact check. Give us the address & well google map sat check it.
Jeffrey Goldberg has made the Atlantic a joke.
yeah, no kidding, esp. since if you want your kid to play hockey in the ECAC at an IVY or at Michigan (or the USHL for that matter), those schools have NHL-sized rinks. Having played in both sized rinks, a big, big difference.
My guess is that the author used "olympic sized" as a descriptor without understanding the context, or how much open, treeless, flat land is needed to support such a rink or how much work it would take to maintain it (especially in the Connecticut climate).
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I didn't see a link to the counter-piece so... https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/20 ... tion/?s=09
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
old salt

Post by old salt »

Matnum PI wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:20 pm I didn't see a link to the counter-piece so... https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/20 ... tion/?s=09
When I first read about the debunking of this story, I thought about Stephen Glass at the New Republic, in the '90's.
Then in the WP article, I saw the CSPAN video image identifying Shalit as an assoc editor at the New Republic.
I wondered "what if ?". Sure enough, the below quote is from the Vanity Fair article Shattered Glass, by Buzz Bissinger.
It made for a good flick.
When fact-checking the stories of others, Glass established himself as the Darth Vader of Detail. No inaccuracy, however small, escaped him, and he wasn’t above warning editors of certain writers’ sloppiness. He took advantage of the vulnerability of Ruth Shalit, who had previously been forced to admit plagiarism in two New Republic pieces. “He was known as the best fact checker,” said a staffer. “He was always ratting [people] out. He was always pissing on Ruth. He was always seen as the stickler, and he used that, and the fact checkers came to trust him.”
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:01 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:14 am Not her first rodeo ride with these issues. Google is your friend. What exactly does it take to be deemed unemployable?
You mean, at the Atlantic?
The OTHER neo-lib rag; The New Republic.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”