MAAC 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
faircornell

Re: MAAC 2021

Post by faircornell »

In what might be considered an upset, Wagner defeated Sacred Heart 11-9. Great work by the home team.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NEC
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:59 pmNEC
Sorry. Thanks for the correction.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Nice win by Canisius over Monmouth, 8-7.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Quinnipiac in covid protocol and canceling Detroit game can't be good for the playoffs next week. Don't recall many teams going into protocol and back at it within a week
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

The current conference position is for all eight members to play a four round conference championship. If Quinny’s out do they go to seven teams with five rounds to let the bottom four play into the final quarterfinal position or do they revert to a four team final, thereby leaving the conference’s potentially best team (Marist) out of the conference championship?
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:08 am The current conference position is for all eight members to play a four round conference championship. If Quinny’s out do they go to seven teams with five rounds to let the bottom four play into the final quarterfinal position or do they revert to a four team final, thereby leaving the conference’s potentially best team (Marist) out of the conference championship?
My best guess would be top seed gets a bye and remaining 6 play each other
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

flyerfan17 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:14 am
SCLaxAttack wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:08 am The current conference position is for all eight members to play a four round conference championship. If Quinny’s out do they go to seven teams with five rounds to let the bottom four play into the final quarterfinal position or do they revert to a four team final, thereby leaving the conference’s potentially best team (Marist) out of the conference championship?
My best guess would be top seed gets a bye and remaining 6 play each other
That’s what I get for posting “early” on a Saturday morning - the best solution, and the one I missed. Thanks ff.
Bonalax

Post by Bonalax »

Bonnies end the regular season 4-4 with a great outing against Siena.

Big game for the standings tonight between Marist and Manhattan.

Should be a fun post season!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Boy Brecht is looking more and more like a miracle worker given what Siena did before and with Svec and Gleason since. Svec got credit for Brecht’s teams going 11-5, 8-9, 11-6 then 5 wins followed by three, 3 win seasons. Gleason looked promising in 2019 at 6-7 but 2-11 since.

Do Siena folks think Brecht was an outlier and 4-6 wins might be more of a reasonable expectation in the context of the last two decades? does it matter much at 0-7 that the top three scorers are all seniors?
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:56 pm Boy Brecht is looking more and more like a miracle worker given what Siena did before and with Svec and Gleason since. Svec got credit for Brecht’s teams going 11-5, 8-9, 11-6 then 5 wins followed by three, 3 win seasons. Gleason looked promising in 2019 at 6-7 but 2-11 since.

Do Siena folks think Brecht was an outlier and 4-6 wins might be more of a reasonable expectation in the context of the last two decades? does it matter much at 0-7 that the top three scorers are all seniors?
Not a Siena guy but doesn't take a genius to know Brecht was the best coach and recruiter the Saints have had. Siena either went away from or couldn't get LI players that maybe Marist took advantage of but definitely could see Siena bouncing back at any time as the LI recruiting looks like it has picked back up
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yeah Brecht was obviously good but if you catch a decent replacement it’s possible to maintain just hasn’t happened. Svec wasn’t the best internal guy at Hobart, pretty subversive to TW Johnson from what I understand trying to get a HC gig so wasn’t surprised it didn’t work. Guess the question is, are they looking sideways at Gleason in 2-3yrs if he has 2-4 win seasons the next two, or let’s just say like 6-8 type seasons, are they happy as long as he kids are playing hard and competitive enough with a solid gpa etc?
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:37 pm Yeah Brecht was obviously good but if you catch a decent replacement it’s possible to maintain just hasn’t happened. Svec wasn’t the best internal guy at Hobart, pretty subversive to TW Johnson from what I understand trying to get a HC gig so wasn’t surprised it didn’t work. Guess the question is, are they looking sideways at Gleason in 2-3yrs if he has 2-4 win seasons the next two, or let’s just say like 6-8 type seasons, are they happy as long as he kids are playing hard and competitive enough with a solid gpa etc?
History says Siena is content as long as the kids are playing hard and competitive enough with a solid gpa.

Siena has always been about men’s basketball, and only men’s basketball. To put things in perspective, their baseball coach has been head coach for 51 seasons. His record is 908-1131-8 overall, 380-296 in the MAAC. In 31 seasons he’s won 5 MAAC championships, and only one of those has been since 1999. Since 2000 they’ve been over .500 in the MAAC three times - the last time in 2008.

And that coach is in Siena’s HOF.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Oh I am familiar, not deep knowledge, of SIena as a BB school (really whole conference I know Canisius cares deeply) growing up in upstate and whatnot but having graduated HS in 1996 wasn’t familiar w SIena lacrosse for like another decade much. That’s probably common which is why it’s interesting when there’s much Turnover in other situation a like Lafayette and HC in the PL. Great guy but another example is Tony Gravante (Hobart alum) who’s been coaching Mt St Mary’s for like 20yrs or so. Been through cancer, puts up a nice season by small program standards every 5-6yrs with a bunch of 5-6 win and few 0-3 win seasons sandwiched in but he’s done right by the school and will have that job until he retires even if his career will be under .500.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

Brecht built a great program at Siena. They were on the losing end of some conference tournament upsets, but had a run of unprecedented MAAC regular season dominance. Their win total from 07-11 was 6th highest in D1. He’s also done a really nice job at Rutgers. Svec inherited a great situation and it went south quickly once BB’s players graduated. Thought D’Argenio got rid of Svec pretty swiftly. Hickey Field isn’t up to par, but the strength and conditioning facilities are pretty good. The coach at every MAAC school is probably in the same boat: make the MAAC tournament about 50% of the time, players don’t complain about the coach, stay out of trouble, and graduate, and their job is probably safe.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

We’ve had a different world at Hobart in D1. Basically the last three coaches have left under pressure of living up to historical expectations which I think are unreasonable. I turned around on hiring outside vs another alum when Johnson left originally thinking there’s good options but I think it’s too much (not to mention a lot of those guys are great recruiters and we’re great players but often roll the ball out and let em play guys like OHara and Kerwick).

Not sure what Hobarts attitude will be. If Raymond really turned it up he’s likely leaving unless it happens in like 6-10yrs form now where he will have 15+yrs in Geneva and his family is entrenched but I don’t think even today a large constituency would want to ride out 4-5yrs below .500 at this point unless it were in a top 15 SOS situation. So ideally he splits the baby where success continues to build but the velocity of Improvement is not so great that a Duke, PTon (who I believe tried before), ND etc we’re offered. Then when he’s stuck enough here get to that other level.

The fate of most of the 70 D1 schools is Id you’re younger coach improves historical success hes not likely to stay.
redfoxalum

Post by redfoxalum »

The regular season is in the books assuming no missed games are made up. Everyone makes the playoffs and all games are at the higher seed, except UDM can’t host as a result of leaving the conference next season. The teams are seeded based on total wins in conference play, the first game didn’t count towards conference standings. COVID protocols on the Quinnipiac side caused their game @ Detroit Mercy today to be canceled. Conventional wisdom is that if a team can’t play, the highest seed will get a bye. Quarterfinals are on Friday 4/30, semis Wednesday 5/5, and finals Saturday 5/8.

If the standings listed on maacsports.com are accurate and reflective of all of the various tie breakers, that would mean:
With Quinnipiac:
#8 Siena @ #1 Monmouth, #7 Marist @ #2 Quinnipiac, #6 St. Bonaventure @ #3 Manhattan, #4 Detroit Mercy @ #5 Canisius.
Without Quinnipiac:
#1 Monmouth bye, #8 Siena @ #3 Manhattan, #4 Detroit Mercy @ #7 Marist, #6 St. Bonaventure @ #5 Canisius.
flyerfan17

Post by flyerfan17 »

Quinnipiac announced their season is done
Tonyp2566

Post by Tonyp2566 »

redfoxalum wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:17 pm The regular season is in the books assuming no missed games are made up. Everyone makes the playoffs and all games are at the higher seed, except UDM can’t host as a result of leaving the conference next season. The teams are seeded based on total wins in conference play, the first game didn’t count towards conference standings. COVID protocols on the Quinnipiac side caused their game @ Detroit Mercy today to be canceled. Conventional wisdom is that if a team can’t play, the highest seed will get a bye. Quarterfinals are on Friday 4/30, semis Wednesday 5/5, and finals Saturday 5/8.

If the standings listed on maacsports.com are accurate and reflective of all of the various tie breakers, that would mean:
With Quinnipiac:
#8 Siena @ #1 Monmouth, #7 Marist @ #2 Quinnipiac, #6 St. Bonaventure @ #3 Manhattan, #4 Detroit Mercy @ #5 Canisius.
Without Quinnipiac:
#1 Monmouth bye, #8 Siena @ #3 Manhattan, #4 Detroit Mercy @ #7 Marist, #6 St. Bonaventure @ #5 Canisius.
I thought I saw somewhere after head to head the tiebreaker was win %. Which would put Marist ahead of Bonnies. And the standings on mascsports doesn’t look accurate. They have Marist at 4-0 overall but they only played 3 games.
Bonalax

Post by Bonalax »

flyerfan17 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:48 am Quinnipiac announced their season is done
This is terrible for those guys. Hate to see it.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”