Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Cooter

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Cooter »

viper wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:28 pm
Cooter wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:06 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:35 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:32 am Hey, you never know!
Think would Roman could do for our offense! LoL
I meant Greg Raymond. My bad.
Raymond isn’t coming. I’d suggest you guys dig up John Haus’ number and see what he’s up to these days.
John Haus is just in his 3rd year as an assistant at PSU. PSU's offense has been doing pretty well.
I think Hopkins might be looking for someone with a little more experience.
I think he was referring to John Haus (Sr), ex Hopkins coach (for a brief time) who is currently the head coach at DIII Lebanon Valley College in PA.
I know that. I was just spinning it.
Live Free or Die!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:46 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:35 pm Because his son was in the middle of that tragedy.
Yep, his son was in the middle of that. Based on your logic he should have talked his son into transferring and avoided that job like the plague.
Coaches don't think that way. They think, wow, a prestigious coaching job has just opened up! I'm looking for an opportunity, a challenge, and career advancement. I'm throwing my name in the hat.
There’s a few reasons for danowaki to stay, with being 3.5yrs through a degree there being one, you do understand the reason he stays is that aside from the three accused (and perhaps a few here or there esp srs who moved on with life) the whole team came back. They and most of the community thought they were a favorite (realize they took that L to Cornell right before it went down but still, including 05 team) to win the title (the UVA team was good of course) which their school administration robbed from them (amongst many other things taken) and they went through everything else to find out the DA was a idiot unethical dude and the accuser has a future stabbing her boyfriend and with everyone else basically coming back how do you not also come back? Having your dad come and help them to the promised land obviously was big to oversee his Sr yr but he wasn’t done playing lacrosse (hence 5th yr at Bryant w Pressler) so how do you leave your teammates after you’ve been through all that, your dad is new HC and you’re a top top contender that next year?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Uhh ...fwiw Zach Greer went to Bryant for a 5th yr not Matt Danowski.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:15 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:25 pm There is no idiocy in THIS forum.

(Except for the non-Hopkins posters, others who hope their coach doesn’t leave, and DB.)
Says the guy who voted for that moron Trump.

DocBarrister :roll:
Wrong. Didn’t know you were in the voting booth with me, moron.

You voted for both Hillary AND Nifong.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:43 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:25 pm There is no idiocy in THIS forum.

(Except for the non-Hopkins posters, others who hope their coach doesn’t leave, and DB.)

Liar. You stated you supported Trump. There’s no forgiving that idiotic choice.

Hillary would have been a great president.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NElaxtalent wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:00 pm Uhh ...fwiw Zach Greer went to Bryant for a 5th yr not Matt Danowski.
F*******k, you’re right. That being said it was a superfluous point not at the top of the teammates sticking together point.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:57 am
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:43 am

Liar. You stated you supported Trump. There’s no forgiving that idiotic choice.

Hillary would have been a great president.

DocBarrister
Wrong again, and now calling me a liar. You unequivocally stated that I voted for Trump. Wrong.

And I was at the Churchill site in Pumpkin Neck blowing something up that day.

You injected politics into this thread, and attacks. Now take your sad little ass back to your quarantine and please social distance yourself.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

When the opposing team scores a goal against the Washington Capitals at the Caps ice it is of course announced over the PA system as all hockey goals are - the Capitals crowd in unison cries out WHO CARES
W & D pretend you're at a Capitals Hockey game

Back to the coaching situation - I think there are several myths or semi ones around the Hopkins job:
- As generated around the discussion of Greg Raymond - the Hopkins job is a prime job but it is not necessarily THE job you drop everything for and get to Baltimore the next day. The biggest thing is - wait for it - $$$$$$. It probably pays pretty well relative to most other lacrosse coaching jobs and your camps/clinics and potential sponsorships might be higher. The historical significance of the sport to the school - the chance to bring glory back to a program that has struggled by its standards etc. that's all window dressing and doesn't feed the cat

- The pressure and poor treatment by alums/fans/university administration is greatly exaggerated IMO to almost non-existent. Nobody cares anymore - have you seen the stands at a Hopkins game non Homecoming? The newspaper in town can barely afford the ink for the s in Johns and there is certainly no national or local coverage. I google on Petro and contract and all you get is super short blurbs on when he has been extended. You want pressure in athletics, there are more people in Alabama that seriously want Saban gone for not even reaching the 4 team play-off then there people who even know who Petro is.

- Petro has been or clearly will be treated poorly if he is not retained. Why? If it happens it is almost certain they will work with him to give everyone an opportunity to show there is no animosity. He's been at the school for 20 years, he's won 2 titles and played in 3 other title games but the slide from 2009 on is irrefutable. I am sure there will be negotiations on various points if it comes to that but I would put my chip on the space that says the press release would be entitled "Legendary Hopkins Lacrosse coach to step down...." vs the terse "wish him well in future endeavors" memo. Nor will there be any behind the scenes trashing of him a la Dan Snider and Redskins admin.

What do I think? Again - Cue the Capitals crowd. I guess I put some emphasis on 2 points. This last offseason was weird - I think I have said it before but if Foley's loss was not an eligibility issue and then you have the Rapine and Blondell thing - something was going on. Two sides to every story but it probably wasn't all the kids doing either. Second - Petro is responsible for the defense - the defense - as I chronicled a while ago - used to be Top 10 in GAA and sub 10 in the nominal number - now you need a telescope to see the Hopkins defensive numbers and it was not likely to improve. So the first question I would endeavor to find out - has he lost the team - do they buy into him as their leader? If so - I think he needs to turnover the staff and become a real head coach. If not - start the search now and contact all incoming recruits
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Suggest chilling on the politics.

Plenty to argue about with just lacrosse!

Hope all are well and staying safe and sound, best they can.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:12 am When the opposing team scores a goal against the Washington Capitals at the Caps ice it is of course announced over the PA system as all hockey goals are - the Capitals crowd in unison cries out WHO CARES
W & D pretend you're at a Capitals Hockey game

Back to the coaching situation - I think there are several myths or semi ones around the Hopkins job:
- As generated around the discussion of Greg Raymond - the Hopkins job is a prime job but it is not necessarily THE job you drop everything for and get to Baltimore the next day. The biggest thing is - wait for it - $$$$$$. It probably pays pretty well relative to most other lacrosse coaching jobs and your camps/clinics and potential sponsorships might be higher. The historical significance of the sport to the school - the chance to bring glory back to a program that has struggled by its standards etc. that's all window dressing and doesn't feed the cat

- The pressure and poor treatment by alums/fans/university administration is greatly exaggerated IMO to almost non-existent. Nobody cares anymore - have you seen the stands at a Hopkins game non Homecoming? The newspaper in town can barely afford the ink for the s in Johns and there is certainly no national or local coverage. I google on Petro and contract and all you get is super short blurbs on when he has been extended. You want pressure in athletics, there are more people in Alabama that seriously want Saban gone for not even reaching the 4 team play-off then there people who even know who Petro is.

- Petro has been or clearly will be treated poorly if he is not retained. Why? If it happens it is almost certain they will work with him to give everyone an opportunity to show there is no animosity. He's been at the school for 20 years, he's won 2 titles and played in 3 other title games but the slide from 2009 on is irrefutable. I am sure there will be negotiations on various points if it comes to that but I would put my chip on the space that says the press release would be entitled "Legendary Hopkins Lacrosse coach to step down...." vs the terse "wish him well in future endeavors" memo. Nor will there be any behind the scenes trashing of him a la Dan Snider and Redskins admin.

What do I think? Again - Cue the Capitals crowd. I guess I put some emphasis on 2 points. This last offseason was weird - I think I have said it before but if Foley's loss was not an eligibility issue and then you have the Rapine and Blondell thing - something was going on. Two sides to every story but it probably wasn't all the kids doing either. Second - Petro is responsible for the defense - the defense - as I chronicled a while ago - used to be Top 10 in GAA and sub 10 in the nominal number - now you need a telescope to see the Hopkins defensive numbers and it was not likely to improve. So the first question I would endeavor to find out - has he lost the team - do they buy into him as their leader? If so - I think he needs to turnover the staff and become a real head coach. If not - start the search now and contact all incoming recruits
It's hard to argue with any of this and I'm sure no one would take a pay cut to come to Hopkins, but there are those who might use the job as a stepping stone like John Haus did. Haus was coaching at DIII Washington College, got the call, came to Hop for two years then left for his alma mater NC. Didn't work out for him in the long run but it did get him from DIII into the ACC.

That's why I suspect the next head coach will be a Hopkins alum, in part to avoid a repeat of that. There are other reasons as well.
The guy at Hobart must love Raymond, otherwise he'd be extolling his virtues on this board, lol.

Having said that, I'd probably call John Tillman and ask what it would take to get him to Hopkins. It could end up being his stepping stone back to Cornell, lol, but if we got a few good years out of him, it might be worth it. Doubt he'd leave College Park, but it's worth a dime to find out.

I agree that DP has lost this team and changes are overdue.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:16 am Suggest chilling on the politics.

Agreed. No one is interested in my views on who is running for dogcatcher.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:05 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:16 am Suggest chilling on the politics.

Agreed. No one is interested in my views on who is running for dogcatcher.
We need a dogcatcher thread over on the Politics forum! :D
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I don't post on social media, but this is from Harrisons instagram. If you're looking for something to smile about here you go.

kyleharrison18
Verified
A few months back we found the drive with every game & scrimmage from my college career on it that I thought I lost when I moved back across the country from LA. This is from our first scrimmage of the spring freshman year against Cornell when I thought I was still hoopin. Double XL sweats & hoopin shoes! No idea what I was doing yet, but, we was shakin tho.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:57 am It's hard to argue with any of this and I'm sure no one would take a pay cut to come to Hopkins, but there are those who might use the job as a stepping stone like John Haus did. Haus was coaching at DIII Washington College, got the call, came to Hop for two years then left for his alma mater NC. Didn't work out for him in the long run but it did get him from DIII into the ACC.
Since we're all pretty much twiddling our thumbs here idly speculating, I'll just point out one potentially sort of interesting dynamic that's somewhat related to what you're saying.

IF there does end up being an opening at Hopkins, a good number of the non-alums you'd maybe think of as being on the long shortlist to talk to -- Dan Chemotti, Mike Murphy, Joe Alberici, Taylor Wray -- are either Duke alums or, in Alberici's case, a longtime Duke assistant. On the one hand, it's easy to see any one of those guys crushing the interview and becoming Hopkins' preferred hire. On the other hand, if you're Hop and you pick one of them and he goes on to do reasonably well, in a sense you're also nominating him as the de facto leading candidate to follow Danowski at Duke a few years down the line. In any case there'd likely be enough buzz along those lines for it to come into play as leverage in negotiating any potential extension.

So one thing Hop might need to think about, IF it ever comes to that, is how comfortable they'd be with that dynamic possibly playing out.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Homer wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:38 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:57 am It's hard to argue with any of this and I'm sure no one would take a pay cut to come to Hopkins, but there are those who might use the job as a stepping stone like John Haus did. Haus was coaching at DIII Washington College, got the call, came to Hop for two years then left for his alma mater NC. Didn't work out for him in the long run but it did get him from DIII into the ACC.
Since we're all pretty much twiddling our thumbs here idly speculating, I'll just point out one potentially sort of interesting dynamic that's somewhat related to what you're saying.

IF there does end up being an opening at Hopkins, a good number of the non-alums you'd maybe think of as being on the long shortlist to talk to -- Dan Chemotti, Mike Murphy, Joe Alberici, Taylor Wray -- are either Duke alums or, in Alberici's case, a longtime Duke assistant. On the one hand, it's easy to see any one of those guys crushing the interview and becoming Hopkins' preferred hire. On the other hand, if you're Hop and you pick one of them and he goes on to do reasonably well, in a sense you're also nominating him as the de facto leading candidate to follow Danowski at Duke a few years down the line. In any case there'd likely be enough buzz along those lines for it to come into play as leverage in negotiating any potential extension.

So one thing Hop might need to think about, IF it ever comes to that, is how comfortable they'd be with that dynamic possibly playing out.
An interesting thought experiment they will have to game out in the event a search gets underway. But from the perspective of that group of coaches, it would also be a pretty big risk to take a job other than Duke in the interim if that's the one they actually want.

Dano is 66—by all accounts in good health and still has plenty of energy—but 66 is 66 and I don't think anyone besides him knows when he's going to call it a career. Could be in 5+ years, could be next year. If one of those Duke guys intends to use Hopkins as a stepping stone to their alma mater then they'd have to really nail the timing. It'd also be quite a big bet on their own abilities to make the Jays look good enough in the next however many years that they'd still be an appealing choice for Duke. Not to mention Duke already has two assistants who can reasonably assume they'll at least be in the running for the job as well—one of whom is his son. If I'm one of those guys, and the goal is to ultimately end up coaching at Duke, then they might be better off staying where they are and continuing to do well there, until the phone rings. That might be one (of several) reasons why Nads hasn't taken another job despite a ton of interest from multiple schools. If he's going to leave Towson, it might only be for Hopkins.

I'd think it would be pretty clear during this hypothetical interview process, and by speaking to candidates' references, which guys would be 100% committed to Hopkins for the long haul, and which ones would have one foot out the door in the event another job opened up. But maybe not.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Delaney Played HS Lacrosse at Episcopal Academy (PA).

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Homer

Post by Homer »

Not a surprise at this point, but just in case anybody was wondering... Hopkins officially finishes as the 1994 Montreal Expos of the 2019-20 Directors Cup.

https://thedirectorscup.com/2020/03/lea ... 20-season/

Final standings:
https://nacda.com/documents/2019/12/23/ ... df?id=3832
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Conor and Dan Denihan

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Homer wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:28 am Not a surprise at this point, but just in case anybody was wondering... Hopkins officially finishes as the 1994 Montreal Expos of the 2019-20 Directors Cup.

https://thedirectorscup.com/2020/03/lea ... 20-season/

Final standings:
https://nacda.com/documents/2019/12/23/ ... df?id=3832
Beating out Tufts, Chicago, and MIT. Pretty good company.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:03 am
Homer wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:38 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:57 am It's hard to argue with any of this and I'm sure no one would take a pay cut to come to Hopkins, but there are those who might use the job as a stepping stone like John Haus did. Haus was coaching at DIII Washington College, got the call, came to Hop for two years then left for his alma mater NC.
Dano is 66—by all accounts in good health and still has plenty of energy—but 66 is 66 and I don't think anyone besides him knows when he's going to call it a career.

I'd think it would be pretty clear during this hypothetical interview process, and by speaking to candidates' references, which guys would be 100% committed to Hopkins for the long haul, and which ones would have one foot out the door in the event another job opened up.
Excellent points: Dano has a contract through 2023...I wouldn't be surprised to see him time his exit when his son could assume head coaching duties, if only on an interim basis. I would add Desko ,who is turning 63 this year, to the list of jobs young guns might covet down the road.

At some point the competition will use the lame duck air of uncertainty against the JHU. Fish or cut bait, bobbing in the water doing nothing only increases the chances of taking on water.
Last edited by laxpert on Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”