Big 10 Women’s Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Re: Big 10 Women’s Lacrosse

Post by Cletus »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:24 pm NU has been waiting for this game for almost two years. They're confident and chomping at the bit. I seriously doubt MD can keep either match out of running time for more than 45 minutes. Hoping for a Scane-Colson matchup!
Cletus wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:28 am Odd setup where the first game is Saturday and the 2nd on Monday early afternoon. Looking forward to being front and center for both.
Does that mean you're attending in-person??
I hope you're right. T'would make for a great extended weekend. I'm in Massachusetts, but I am taking a half day Monday to see the 2nd game streaming.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

So, you are rooting against Maryland Fans not for Northwestern or against the Terps team ?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Maryland75 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:17 pm So, you are rooting against Maryland Fans not for Northwestern or against the Terps team ?
All three are true, the 2nd one first. I'm just burnt out on the team dominating, Maryland75. Just like I get tired of any team being dominant and winning the national title most of the time. I want some new faces, some fresh blood, whichever cliche fits. I got sick of the Patriots winning all the time, as I did with the NY Islanders in the early 80's, and many other dominant teams down through the years. That's the essential reason.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

It wasn’t that many years ago when Northwestern was the dominant team winning 5 straight championships and 7 in eight years. I’m all for fresh blood and although Maryland is my alma mater I’m also a Syracuse fan (my ACC roots will never let me root for UNC). I nevertheless always look for a good contest not a beat down. The Maryland/ Northwestern rivalry just like the Maryland/Hopkins men’s rivalry are good for the sport and competitive contests are even better.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Maryland75 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:24 am It wasn’t that many years ago when Northwestern was the dominant team winning 5 straight championships and 7 in eight years. I’m all for fresh blood and although Maryland is my alma mater I’m also a Syracuse fan (my ACC roots will never let me root for UNC). I nevertheless always look for a good contest not a beat down. The Maryland/ Northwestern rivalry just like the Maryland/Hopkins men’s rivalry are good for the sport and competitive contests are even better.
Yeah--that must have been an amazing time for Northwestern fans, but lousy for everyone else. There is a place for the beatdown--when looking to pay back a previous beatdown. And the Wildcats have had a big one on their deficit sheet for two years now. Wasn't it satisfying for you when the Terps paid the Cats back in the '19 national semis to the tune of 25-13 after having lost the Big 10 title?
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

I really was more focused on getting to the finals then getting revenge. I actually was disappointed that Lasota didn’t get two additional goals to break the seasonal goal record after the great career she had. This is a great rivalry which Maryland has dominated for the most part 17-7. Each team will score as many goals as possible but I also believe there is a high level of respect between the two programs starting with both head coaches who were once teammates.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Interesting discussion. I am a fan, but I have never found one team's (NU's and Maryland's) dominance to be "lousy for everyone else." I am a Syracuse fan -- never won the Title and only twice, to my recollection, have the Orange been to the final. In 2012 against Northwestern, Syracuse lost 8-6 in a game in which I can still see Shannon Smith holding the ball behind the cage for minutes at a time. I could hit the restroom and grab a beer and a sandwich from the Fridge without missing any "action." NU complied with the rules, and honored the game Not. At. All. I didn't think Syracuse losing was "lousy;" I thought the manner in which Northwestern won was lousy.

Contrast this with Syracuse's loss a few years later to Maryland (2014?). Syracuse lost 15-12 in a spirited game, with two teams displaying the athleticism that is now a regular feature of the games. I'm not a Maryland fan, but I have always loved the way Terp teams play.

I think the Terps will get pounded by Northwestern, but I'll be rooting for Maryland.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Good post Seacaster, I remember both games well. I’m looking for a split this weekend based on Maryland’s last few games and the expectation that there offense is ready for an explosion of goals (which they will need to win). Maryland has a lot of really good players who are young so it’s interesting to see their improvement as the season progresses. I also hope there is a Scane/ Colson matchup which will be fun to watch.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Maryland75 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:36 pm Good post Seacaster, I remember both games well. I’m looking for a split this weekend based on Maryland’s last few games and the expectation that there offense is ready for an explosion of goals (which they will need to win). Maryland has a lot of really good players who are young so it’s interesting to see their improvement as the season progresses. I also hope there is a Scane/ Colson matchup which will be fun to watch.
Well Maryland certainly will have its hands full. CNR likes to play man to man, right? I don't recall Maryland playing a zone at all. If Colson is assigned to Scane, the rest of the defense will be very slow to slide to help -- because if they do NU follows the slide well and has Mueller and Gilbert and McKone to choose from....Long day ahead for Colson. But the Maryland defensive game-plan may be as simple as "make someone other than Izzy beat us."
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

I don’t think Maryland has face guarded anyone since they played Navy in the tournament several year’s ago. No doubt this game will be a defining moment for the defense which will make draws and groundballs all the more important.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

Maryland75 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:08 pm I don’t think Maryland has face guarded anyone since they played Navy in the tournament several year’s ago. No doubt this game will be a defining moment for the defense which will make draws and groundballs all the more important.
I’m a Terps guy but I like to think I can be objective, it will take a monumental performance on the circle by all 3 players for the Terps to have a shot. I don’t think they are far enough along in their development as a team to hang with Northwestern at this point in the season. But if the Terps can limit NU possessions they might have a shot, but as I say being objective this will be a very ,very long shot. NU ball movement is fantastic and even if the Terps send the early double to Scane there are plenty of other options for NU. Mueller is struggling to hit the net hopefully that will last at least one more game.
20-10 NU
Cletus

Re: Don’t get your hopes up!

Post by Cletus »

Turtles Lax wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:55 pm Don’t get too excited at the prospect of the Evil Empire getting a running clock on TL’s Laxchix...particularly in the first half. :roll:

This is TL’s twenty-first (21st) season loving TL’s Terps and don’t recall a running clock on them ever. (Not saying it hasn’t happened and will do a bit of research.)

As noted herein before, there is no love lost between the Terps and the Wildcats and both will score as many as they can...whenever they can. No such thing as running it up; both Coach Cathy and Coach Amonte-Hiller understand what can happen...and they will make it happen if they can.

True fans of both teams understand the rivalry; more importantly, players do, too. 8-)

Peace, out.

TL
Itsallgood wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:42 pm
Do you think KAH will be salivating at the thought of letting her Wildcats run wild after the Terps tattooed them with 25 goals in the 2019 NCAA semifinals ( the last time these 2 teams met ) I’m seeing running clock in the first half ! I know NU needs work on D but you don’t play D when you always have the ball.
[/quote]

Running clock 18 min mark 2nd half. A thing of beauty. Nice call Itsallgood. You were only a few minutes off.

https://youtu.be/a27yHWU9wxE

And in the end, they avenged their loss in the semi's by 1 goal. 25-12. There's a new sheriff in the Big 10 this year...
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Four separate threads with musings on NU ‘s widely anticipated defeat of Maryland.
Cletus

Run that clock!

Post by Cletus »

Back to back Northwestern running clock beatdowns of the archrival Terps. Ain’t life grand.
Cletus

Snakebitten Wolverines

Post by Cletus »

“Unfortunately, due to covid concerns, we will have to postpone our game against Northwestern that was scheduled for Thursday.”
Last edited by Cletus on Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
seacoaster

Re: Snakebitten Wolverines

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:37 am “Unfortunately, due to covid concerns, we will have to postpone our game against Northwestern that was scheduled for Thursday.

Read More: myumi.ch/AxEbm”
Gosh, I didn't realize that Michigan hasn't played since March 21. Tough going.
Cletus

Re: Snakebitten Wolverines

Post by Cletus »

seacoaster wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:17 am
Cletus wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:37 am “Unfortunately, due to covid concerns, we will have to postpone our game against Northwestern that was scheduled for Thursday.

Read More: myumi.ch/AxEbm”
Gosh, I didn't realize that Michigan hasn't played since March 21. Tough going.
Must be awfully frustrating, especially for the players.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Can Northwestern beat UNC or is this season a race for second place?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:20 pm Can Northwestern beat UNC or is this season a race for second place?
I don't think Northwestern has the defense necessary to beat UNC. And UNC's defense is -- or will be -- the best by ten orders of magnitude than NU will have seen all season. Saying UNC is a "prohibitive favorite" is gross understatement.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

seacoaster wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:33 pm Saying UNC is a "prohibitive favorite" is gross understatement.
i agree but was hoping to hear differently. a race for 2nd is less interesting than a race. with this said, i'm not complaining. happy to have a race at all.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”