Off-Topic- Will PLL Make It Big And Draw Great Crowds For Years?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldjayfan

Re: Off-Topic- Will PLL Make It Big And Draw Great Crowds For Years?

Post by oldjayfan »

Your comment is beyond ignorant..lacrosse has been the fastest growing youth sport for multiple years...enjoy the bah, bah, bah, SWING...
Fanlax999

Post by Fanlax999 »

fast growing sport, blah, blah, blah...so what. it grew from 2 or 3 (scale of 1-10) to a 4 or 5. it might have even recessed or corrected a bit recently. fastest growing sport...who cares, and what hard, concrete results can anyone show that the "fasted growing sport" is actually accomplishing or proving anything, other than make a small group very rich based on greed, insecurity and egos.
oldjayfan

Post by oldjayfan »

Nevermind, ignorance is bliss!
Fanlax999

Post by Fanlax999 »

you're talking about yourself, of course.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

The PLL is like Parkour whereas the MLL is like the Canadian Football League.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:59 pm The PLL is like Parkour whereas the MLL is like the Canadian Football League.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
:ugeek:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
DMac

Post by DMac »

Fanlax999 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:08 pm you're talking about yourself, of course.
No, he's talking about you and is accurate, IMO.
I see you've been around lacrosse for a whole decade or so, a couple of us here have been around it for five and six decades and seen its growth, not just just read about it. While it still remains a relatively small sport, there has indeed been an explosion in its popularity. Do a little research into how many countries particpate in both the indoor and outdoor versions of the game as opposed to how many particpated in the first World Games I went to in 1982. You might not be so ignorant if you do the research.
spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

A lot of happenings and highlights have been dumped in this offseason. Two head coaches in Dom Starsia and John Paul has been let go AND the League is expanding to include a 7th team.

That means an expansion draft is coming where each team can protect 10 players. That leads to a lot of desicions and discussions about who to keep.
Who would you keep on each team?

And outside of that PLL also announced an Entry draft and a college draft. They are really keeping the hype up!

7 teams means natrual bye weeks which I think was good ida.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Did they release a statement on roster protection? I thought in Rabil's video announcement he said that he would protect the rosters as in tact rosters? Maybe I mis-heard that. Protecting only 10 players isn't a lot at all. It's probably pretty likely that a lot of the high-end MLL players will come over to the PLL this year (Pannell for sure, Thompson likely), so this complicates the expansion draft process, doesn't it?

The senior NCAA class this year is crazy deep, too.

From a business perspective, I kind of don't understand the expansion, though. Doesn't add more games only adds more player and overhead. Gonna guess that an investor much have dumped a wad of cash in for the team.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

So Rabil is going after Yale’s coach to join the PLL. Would a D1 coach have the time to do both jobs?
spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

MLL players would go through the Entry draft I think. College players go in the college draft.

And yes, each team will only protect 10 players. Rabil revealed that, when he revealed that they will expand on the Barstool Sports Podcast named Pardon my take.

PLL's analysist Joe Keegan has posted his breif thoughts on who to protect.
www.premierlacrosseleague.com/article/e ... idreaction
(I also recommend reading his articles called 10 man ride where be analyses 10 plays from each week)

It is unclear if there will be any free agency but it doesn't seem like it.

---
I don't think a DI coach has time to coach PLL. But När St.Laurent coaches DIII
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

spartanslynx wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:05 pm MLL players would go through the Entry draft I think. College players go in the college draft.

And yes, each team will only protect 10 players. Rabil revealed that, when he revealed that they will expand on the Barstool Sports Podcast named Pardon my take.

(I also recommend reading his articles called 10 man ride where be analyses 10 plays from each week)

---
Man...yuck. Rooting for an abstract team that doesn't have a home city as a base made those college connections for some teams a good way to form an identity. I wonder what the maximum number of players a team could lose from the expansion draft. It's going to be so interesting to see how many more MLL defections we'll see. With 7 teams, I also wonder if we'll see the end of the 2-day tour model in lieu of a single day, 2-game model (reduce costs, concentrate marketing and sales initiatives). 4 teams on, 3 teams off on any given weekend, or do they still do 6 teams on with 1 team off?
spartanslynx

Post by spartanslynx »

Wheels wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:45 pm
spartanslynx wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:05 pm MLL players would go through the Entry draft I think. College players go in the college draft.

---
Man...yuck. Rooting for an abstract team that doesn't have a home city as a base made those college connections for some teams a good way to form an identity. I wonder what the maximum number of players a team could lose from the expansion draft. It's going to be so interesting to see how many more MLL defections we'll see. With 7 teams, I also wonder if we'll see the end of the 2-day tour model in lieu of a single day, 2-game model (reduce costs, concentrate marketing and sales initiatives). 4 teams on, 3 teams off on any given weekend, or do they still do 6 teams on with 1 team off?
It sounds like they will continue to play 3 games each week. Rabil has talked about this creating natrual bye weeks for one team.

Teams will still keep their identity. I can take an exampel with the two teams mostly linked with college teams, on who they would protect.

Whipsnakes (Maryland):
Rambo, Chanenchuk, Kelly, Bernhardt, Ehrhardt, Bryce Young, Dunn and Bernlohr. Warner and Nardella are the two non-Terps I would protect.

Redwoods (Notre Dame):
Garnsey, Kavanagh, Perkovic, Sexton, Landis, Epple, Glazener. Non-Irish would be Heningburg, Brent Adams, Troutner/Jack Kelly. Maybe protect Gurenlian if he keeps playing. Another question is if you need to protect a goalie and hope that the new doesn't take both.

I think the new team will be able to draft three players from each team. That would make for 18 of the 24 in a PLL roster
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:39 pm So Rabil is going after Yale’s coach to join the PLL. Would a D1 coach have the time to do both jobs?
Maybe he is also trying to figure out if there is [enough] interest in ivy players to continue playing post college? Currently, to my knowledge, there are not many ivy guys in the league.

I could also see them considering Rick Sowell as the HC for the new team.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:11 am
AreaLax wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:39 pm So Rabil is going after Yale’s coach to join the PLL. Would a D1 coach have the time to do both jobs?
Maybe he is also trying to figure out if there is [enough] interest in ivy players to continue playing post college? Currently, to my knowledge, there are not many ivy guys in the league.

I could also see them considering Rick Sowell as the HC for the new team.
I ran into Sowell at a game over the Summer. Still fit. It wouldn’t shock me if he eventually landed at a prep school if he doesn’t get back in the college game. PLL would be a stop gap for the Summer.
“I wish you would!”
sdhakim

Post by sdhakim »

I am PhD student and sports communication researcher in the Communication Studies department at The University of Alabama (Roll Tide).

I am curious what you all think about the PLL's current team set up. This is the only league in the United States that has professional teams that are not affiliated with a town, city, or state.

I am seeking participants for a brief survey about the Premier Lacrosse League and your fan identity. This study aims to observe how fans of the Premier Lacrosse League (PLL) have grown their fanship and identification towards a brand-new professional sports league. Additionally, the study looks to unearth how the league’s unusual team design (i.e., no home-town teams and a traveling season) is impacting fans like you.

Your participation is greatly appreciated, and your survey responses will help further research on lacrosse fan identity. All survey responses 100% confidential.

Please use this link to continue to this survey: https://universityofalabama.az1.qualtri ... LZjIfOV43j

I'm looking forward to sharing the results with you all. Tell your friends if you can, that would be incredibly helpful. The more people who respond, the better the results are.
Sam H.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Good luck, Sam. I'm sure the PLL will be happy to see this research...one day when you publish it in a top tier journal, of course!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

sdhakim wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:29 pm I am PhD student and sports communication researcher in the Communication Studies department at The University of Alabama (Roll Tide).

I am curious what you all think about the PLL's current team set up. This is the only league in the United States that has professional teams that are not affiliated with a town, city, or state.

I am seeking participants for a brief survey about the Premier Lacrosse League and your fan identity. This study aims to observe how fans of the Premier Lacrosse League (PLL) have grown their fanship and identification towards a brand-new professional sports league. Additionally, the study looks to unearth how the league’s unusual team design (i.e., no home-town teams and a traveling season) is impacting fans like you.

Your participation is greatly appreciated, and your survey responses will help further research on lacrosse fan identity. All survey responses 100% confidential.

Please use this link to continue to this survey: https://universityofalabama.az1.qualtri ... LZjIfOV43j

I'm looking forward to sharing the results with you all. Tell your friends if you can, that would be incredibly helpful. The more people who respond, the better the results are.
Good luck. I answered the survey
“I wish you would!”
sdhakim

Post by sdhakim »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:50 pm
sdhakim wrote: Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:29 pm I am PhD student and sports communication researcher in the Communication Studies department at The University of Alabama (Roll Tide).

Good luck. I answered the survey
Thank you!

I appreciate your response and I will post the results as soon as they are analyzed and organized - probably around mid December. The paper deadline is second week of December.
Sam H.
sdhakim

Post by sdhakim »

Wheels wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:23 pm Good luck, Sam. I'm sure the PLL will be happy to see this research...one day when you publish it in a top tier journal, of course!
Thank you! When you throw around a phrase such as "top tier journal" it makes me feel like I am speaking with a fellow researcher? Am I correct on this assumption?
Sam H.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”